• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Sales Surpass 15 Million in North America.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite systems have combined to sell over 15 million units in North America since the launch of the flagship Nintendo Switch system in March 2017, according to internal data from Nintendo. Through September, Nintendo Switch sales in North America were up more than 20% year to date. In the U.S. alone, Nintendo Switch has been the best-selling video game console for 10 months in a row, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States.

“As we enter our third holiday season, Nintendo Switch is creating smiles and enjoying broad appeal, with more than 15 million consumers across North America playing their favorite games whenever and wherever they like,” said Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser. “And this holiday, we are bringing Nintendo Switch owners even more fresh and unique entertainment experiences, like Ring Fit Adventure, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020, adding to the system’s large and diverse library of games.”

Shifty1897

15 million in North America seems low? I thought we'd be at 25 at least by now. Every gamer I know has a Switch at this point.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

No way. It has two years of solid sales. That momentum doesn't vanish.

Even the Wii -- which was arguably the most front-loaded Nintendo console of all time because of Wii Sports -- sold incredibly well to the end of 2010.

I do agree. It is the only dedicated handheld Gaming device being sold and there is a market for that.

However, cloud/local console streaming to mobile devices could change that. Thing is, no one has yet come up with a convenient & official way to attach phone to controller. Apple dont care, google stadia controller ignores phone attachment, MS doesnt make phones, and sony’s phone division is dead/dying. Without a cool, easy, and offcial way to to turn phones into portable gaming with controller, nintendo owns portable market.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That is really good.

Race to 31 months by NPD.

PS4: 13.76m
Switch: ~13m
XB1: 12.01m

Edit - Fixed because 15m is NA.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

What percentage is north america for nintendo? Do we have world wide numbers?
Worldwide as of JUNE 2019 they have sold 38 million units from the last I’ve seen , so up until now I’d guess easily over 40 million if you include the Lite.So if you break it down

NA = 15M
WW=25M

I would say pretty damn good sales numbers.

joe_zazen

Worldwide as of JUNE 2019 they have sold 38 million units from the last I’ve seen , so up until now I’d guess easily over 40 million if you include the Lite.So if you break it down

NA = 15M
WW=25M

I would say pretty damn good sales numbers.

cheers mate.

No way. It has two years of solid sales. That momentum doesn't vanish.

Even the Wii -- which was arguably the most front-loaded Nintendo console of all time because of Wii Sports -- sold incredibly well to the end of 2010.

That's the issue, you and others keep thinking there's momentum World Wide when it's been slowing down in general, just some areas picked up post Lite hype.

World Wide it will probably end just under the 3DS. I'm seeing nothing that would disrupt the current trend.

The Wii was not front-loaded, the Wii sold insanely high numbers for 2.3 years straight running out of stock in several countries multiple times. It only started declining after holiday 2008 and that really didn't become a big issue until end of 2009 excluding the holiday which lead to the crash and heavy drop in 2010 and being near dead by mid 2011.

The Switch is Nintendos most front-loaded hardware of all time.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That's the issue, you and others keep thinking there's momentum World Wide when it's been slowing down in general, just some areas picked up post Lite hype.

World Wide it will probably end just under the 3DS. I'm seeing nothing that would disrupt the current trend.

The Wii was not front-loaded, the Wii sold insanely high numbers for 2.3 years straight running out of stock in several countries multiple times. It only started declining after holiday 2008 and that really didn't become a big issue until end of 2009 excluding the holiday which lead to the crash and heavy drop in 2010 and being near dead by mid 2011.

The Switch is Nintendos most front-loaded hardware of all time.
How large does the upcoming holiday spike need to be for you to reconsider that it is slowing down in general? I'm just going off the hardware and software sales to judge the momentum. Also, the Lite is the first "price drop" in over 2 years yet the Switch sales are pretty strong.

3DS had a terrible launch and went through a long and painful course correction. Switch had no such stumbles, so it's bizarre to me that you'd predict it would sell even worse.

I dunno, I think your predictions will end up being challenged this holiday and I'm curious how you can argue the system is "slowing down in general" when the numbers do not indicate that.

Best selling hardware 10 months in a row this year (USA).

In July the Switch was on par with the PS4's pace:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I do agree. It is the only dedicated handheld Gaming device being sold and there is a market for that.

However, cloud/local console streaming to mobile devices could change that. Thing is, no one has yet come up with a convenient & official way to attach phone to controller. Apple dont care, google stadia controller ignores phone attachment, MS doesnt make phones, and sony’s phone division is dead/dying. Without a cool, easy, and offcial way to to turn phones into portable gaming with controller, nintendo owns portable market.
The delivery method of the videogame has no bearing on the comfort and quality of the hardware used to play it, nor does it affect the branding and mission* of a platform which I think gets lost in the static nowadays. Those are areas where Nintendo is leagues ahead of most of their competitors.

*when I say "branding and mission", I refer to how the Wii was the "motion control system for everyone" and how the DS was "the handheld for all ages". The Wii U and the 3DS also had a well-defined "mission" but the market rejected it. I think the Switch's mission of "play anywhere" makes sense to the public and we are seeing a boost to the sales as a result.

Katsura

I haven't tried it but it looks like a fairly sleek way of doing it

9GSTvXh.jpg

Though for me, what makes Nintendo handhelds great are the Nintendo exclusives and you still wont have those on your phone

That is really good.

Race to 31 months by NPD.

PS4: 13.76m
Switch: ~13m
XB1: 12.01m

Edit - Fixed because 15m is NA.

Any race that's not evenly divisible by 12 is kind of misleading. The PS4 launched in November right before the holiday season. The Switch launched in March. The PS4 had been through three Christmas seasons by the time it was 26 months old. The Switch, after 31 months, has still only been through two Christmas seasons thus far. It would be more fair to compare the sales of the consoles 36 months in, as it would ensure that both consoles had the same number of holiday seasons.

Last edited:
Not too bad for 2 years and it can only mean more potential games for America that we Brits can import if Nintendo/Third Parties decide to not release their stuff in Europe like RemiLore or Monster Boy (the weirdest exclusion ever given that the series is popular in Europe).

Top Bottom