• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro Will Support 4K & Release This Year, According To Insider

carlosrox

Banned
720p games look like a blurry mess on it.

To each their own. BF looks gorgeous as fuck to me and I have a gaming PC that can do 4k and access to an SX and PS5 on the LG CX.

I mean BF looks better than most PS3 games so of course those will not look the best.

Last edited:
The original Switch is already outselling next gen consoles, with the Switch pro this is going to be a massacre.
And yet switch never archieved globally sold out status like PS5 have.

Switch is super popular on some areas, but PS5 sells everything on every area.

Here switch never sold out, even on launch they were easily available on almost every store.

Even PS4 managed to sell out on launch + on many times around the xmas.

So while Switch sells big numbers, it already lost the crown of global popularity.

And switch pro is 20-30% more poweful than OG, if we are lucky. It still sells because people tend to buy items that are popular, even if they are not good.

So while Switch sells big numbers, it already lost the crown of global popularity.
So if the Switch sell 20 million console globally and the PS5 sell 5 million at the same time that means the PS5 is more popular because it sold out?

And switch pro is 20-30% more poweful than OG, if we are lucky. It still sells because people tend to buy items that are popular, even if they are not good.
So the Switch pro will sell well because it's popular but it's not good and people like things that are popular but it's not good and the PS5 is popular but it's good and people like to buy popular items that are not good but the PS5 is popular and good?

WiaXbLR.jpg

Zannegan

I could see them making a TV only one like the Lite is handhold only. There is no why they stop making the standard and lite if they do though. They killed the 3ds and combined everything. I don't see them going back to the two completely separate system model. Not any time soon if ever.
They certainly could, and never say never with Nintendo. I just don't see what it gets them in terms of bringing in new sales. Are they really suffering by not catering to a handful of holdouts who just won't buy a hybrid? I somehow can't see it being a big enough audience to matter. Meanwhile, there are quite a few existing customers who would gladly upgrade and people who haven't gotten aboard yet who would jump in for a more powerful hybrid.

The only way the stationary console works IMO is if they figure out some kind of rapid sharing of game save data between it and their portable/hybrid. Then you get a dock that can run games independently and maintains the switching capability...

...or they just make a stationary console because Nintendo is crazy/visionary and I'm just too short-sighted to see how much the world wants a stationary Switch. lol. Who knows?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Ok, so it's 4k TV after all. 720p games look like a blurry mess on it. I played some ps3 games on my LG C9 and it was horrendous. Main reason why I wait for a Super Switch.
Agreed I couldn't take it anymore and sold my Switch waiting on this Super Switch.

Woopah

Here switch never sold out, even on launch they were easily available on almost every store.

Lifetime sales of the Switch are likely to end higher than those of the PS4. Of course, the PS5 sales could be even higher than that, but it's far too early to do predictions with any accuracy.

laughing GIF

Gimme the 4K. What brought me to Switch in the first place was how amazing Super Mario Kart 8 looked, and how first party Nintendo was getting closer and closer to IMO Pixar-level fidelity. Let me play Mario and Zelda in 4K and it really will be like looking at an interactive CGI movie. This is the dream.

It needs stronger CPU and more memory bandwidth and that's it. Run all games 1080P/60 fps with high quality filtering, AA, and LOD.
That's cute. Sony and MS studios don't even use max AF on the damn current gen, expecting Nintendo to go above trilinear is just... ; actually a lot of their games are bilinear! I mean JFC Nintendo. Breath of the wild, Mario kart 8 etc. It really doesn't even make sense, you'd think that 720p max AF is better than 900p with bilinear filtering but not to Nintendo.

But seriously, it seems nothing short of an infinite amount of processing power, and an overseer to slap that programmer with a rolled up newspaper if he forgets to change the filtering value will make console developers have max AF across the board lol remember PS4 AF woes?

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
They certainly could, and never say never with Nintendo. I just don't see what it gets them in terms of bringing in new sales. Are they really suffering by not catering to a handful of holdouts who just won't buy a hybrid? I somehow can't see it being a big enough audience to matter. Meanwhile, there are quite a few existing customers who would gladly upgrade and people who haven't gotten aboard yet who would jump in for a more powerful hybrid.

The only way the stationary console works IMO is if they figure out some kind of rapid sharing of game save data between it and their portable/hybrid. Then you get a dock that can run games independently and maintains the switching capability...

...or they just make a stationary console because Nintendo is crazy/visionary and I'm just too short-sighted to see how much the world wants a stationary Switch. lol. Who knows?
That's the thing with Nintendo you never know for sure lol.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not really interested in 4k crap.

any rumours of a revised Lite model? i want to buy one but not if they are gonna release an updated model this year.

Orta

Banned

image-asset.gif

ffs, I used to write letters to C&VG magazine like that when I was eight years old :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

cripterion

Honestly they can keep their shitty console having gone through 5 out 6 joycons with drift problems and it is now present on the left joystick on the switch Lite too (not drifting yet but trying to calibrate and pull the joystick to the most downward position and it will only go half way, so walk instead of running in certain games)

Selling shoddy hardware at premium price...

Yu Furealdo

I really just don't see a Pro happening. We're at 4 years now and Nintendo is probably gonna come out with an entirely new system in 2023. I'm gonna laugh so hard if these rumors end up false

ReBurn

Gold Member

Imagine believing that supply constraints are an achievement. Wow.

llien

BVH traversal also benefits heavily from RT hardware. Nvidia does this in hardware using RT cores, AMD is doing it in software, which is one reason why they lack behind Nvidia in RT right now, with Dirt 5 being the odd one out. Ray accelerators are accelerating intersections only.
This is baseless conjecture, with little to do with reality.
AMD didn't want to limit devs in structures they could use, that is the main reason traversal is done in shaders ("software" eh).
Traversal is not even as remotely computationally effective as intersection checks.

What does Cyberpunk have to do with my point that RT cores accelerate RT?
You just said "hardware RT" makes the effects faster, again, without any evidence AND when in fact we see for sure, it's the other way around, it makes things SLOWER.

The game does not even support RT via software
Oh, give me a break.
in some scenes the pre-baked light is so good
Excuses, let us find it, shall we...

carlosrox

Banned
So if this is real for 2021 the announcement would be summer at the latest? When did they announce the Lite? It released in Oct right?

Any chance of announcement sometime in March? Isn't that the end if a fiscal year or something?

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned

I'm sure Nintendo would be happy to let Sony have the first 10-20 million PS5 units sell out while they grow their install base to 80+ million...

lestar

I really hope they increase the internal storage, currently I have a 1TB SD card, and now I have less that 120GB of free space there. I really hope they have a good solution for that.

Switch support up to 2TB micro SD expansion, but a Switch 2 will need a nvm ssd to compete with next gen consoles and support next gen game engines (UE5 for example). A user removable slot for a micro m.2 ssd would be perfect for main storage and micro SD for cold storage and BC.

Actually, the OG switch have a removable nand flash, and people with jailbroken consoles had replace it with bigger capacity nand flash memories to have more internal storage.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Honestly they can keep their shitty console having gone through 5 out 6 joycons with drift problems and it is now present on the left joystick on the switch Lite too (not drifting yet but trying to calibrate and pull the joystick to the most downward position and it will only go half way, so walk instead of running in certain games)

Selling shoddy hardware at premium price...
Other companies got away with it in the past..

I'm not defending it, I think this stuff is unacceptable. For me personally. But... they WILL get away with it.. everybody else does..

Last edited:

Termite

For me the big questions are going to be as follows:
-Are the joycons better? Because the joycons are the worst controllers Nintendo has ever made, both from a useability and durability standpoint.
-Will the additional power be applied to the back-catalogue of already-released games automatically? Like, will we be able to play BotW and XC2 at native res finally? Will DLSS upscale these games? Will developers have to patch games to do that or not?
-Will it work with existing peripherals like the Pro Controller and Ring-con? (Got to assume yes, but you never know.)
-Will migrating your software over be easy? If you've already sold your Switch will getting your account and games on the new machine be easy?

If all of those questions have good answers I'm in.

Pachi72

Switch support up to 2TB micro SD expansion, but a Switch 2 will need a nvm ssd to compete with next gen consoles and support next gen game engines (UE5 for example). A user removable slot for a micro m.2 ssd would be perfect for main storage and micro SD for cold storage and BC.

Actually, the OG switch have a removable nand flash, and people with jailbroken consoles had replace it with bigger capacity nand flash memories to have more internal storage.
They can use Samsung's UFS storage. It hits about 2900MB/S

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo needs to shed light on a next gen console but continuing to support the Switch is alright they ain’t give us any info on the next Zelda that’s more important than a beef’d up switch on steroids.

carlosrox

Banned
I rediscovered BOTW last night. Played my second completed game on Master Mode and was so re-blown away I said fuck it time to finally start my third game and do a low heart run.

Pure fucking magic.

I hope we get an improved version somehow and I cannot wait for the sequel and whatever Nintendo's got next.

Your account may be banned but this dumbass post lives for eternity

Thurible

So is this rumored pro just an upgraded switch or will it be a sort of next gen console/transition to next gen?

EDIT: would existing games also be upscaled to 4k or would that only work with games currently in development for the pro?

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
The DLSS is the "game changer" here. Not only does it improve the resolution through the a.i. upscaling but also gives big performance gains(think framerates) which is the one thing I hoped
the revision would address.

Hoping that this system will be fully backwards compatible with existing games. I want to see Zelda: BOTW and Super Mario Odyssey in glorious 4k/60fps among others. :messenger_heart:

Nintendo: Unleash the Switch Pro

iu
The NVIDIA Shield tv has a similiar chip as the switch. It has that DLSS upscaling. It's almost imossible to tell the difference between native 4k and a 1080p image upscaled using DLSS. Espcially at any playable distance.

ultrazilla

SOC: Custom "Orin" chip(specs halved here), 6 gig ram w/higher clock speeds, 32 gig memory, 7 inch OLED screen, magnesium alloy case/outer shell, bluetooth for headset, DLSS, dock with bigger fan. Very nice upgrade.

Will send proof/confirmation to mods.

I want to believe damnit. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Honestly, I need the simplistic charm of Mario and Zelda in my life right now. Maybe some Donkey Kong.
I hope they announce this soon because I'm tempted to buy a switch in the coming weeks.

Intoxicate

The NVIDIA Shield tv has a similiar chip as the switch. It has that DLSS upscaling. It's almost imossible to tell the difference between native 4k and a 1080p image upscaled using DLSS. Espcially at any playable distance.

It haas AI ups calling not DLSS since the X1 chip is lacking the needed tensor cores. The upscalling wouldn’t work on games as efficient as with tensor cores.

I rediscovered BOTW last night. Played my second completed game on Master Mode and was so re-blown away I said fuck it time to finally start my third game and do a low heart run.

Pure fucking magic.

I hope we get an improved version somehow and I cannot wait for the sequel and whatever Nintendo's got next.

Any tips for someone who just started playing Zelda BOTW for the first time? The gamefaqs guide I'm using is telling me to stop at every shrine that I come across, and so far some of these are pretty difficult for my low level character.

Top Bottom