• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro to Support 720p 120 FPS in Portable Mode 1440p 30 FPS in Docked Mode

Derktron

Banned
I think because it makes no sense. As others have pointed out, 720p×120 is exactly the same number of pixels as 1440p×30, which would mean no power difference or performance advantage between docked and handheld.

I don't think most people are complaining about the power (yet), but the utilization.
Ohh well stop complaining and just enjoy the damn games.

tkscz

I've seen this rumor on other sites and have been seeing 5nm process instead of 7nm from other sites. If 7nm it's Ampere, if 5nm it's lovelace. However, last rumor we got said it used a mix of both.

The GPU core will supposedly run at around 1 GHz (base clock) while the vanilla Switch runs at 768 MHz. Quite frankly, this sounds a bit underwhelming as the latter is based on a fairly dated process. TSMC’s 7nm/6nm nodes should be capable of much higher frequencies.
Well, that depends on the number of CUDA cores, as I've always assumed it would be clocked at 800MHz. Say it's the same number as Orin (2048 CUDA cores). At 1GHz, that would be 4.2TF/s. About right if it's aiming for 1440p. 30FPS also sounds right when you consider it uses an ARM CPU and runs on LPDDR RAM (even if it's LPDDR5(X) it still would be too slow to push it harder than 1440/30).

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Do You Even Lift Episode 2 GIF by Portlandia

Last edited:

MrSec84

"Look, TAA derivatives look kinda nice when you let frames accumulate... and terrible when you don't"
2kliksphilip the video creator shows that a 427X240 native resolution can look close to 1280X720 and 1280X720 native has enough raw data for DLSS 2.0's Ultra Performance mode to creative a close to 3840X2160 (4K Quality) looking image.

He also said that "the higher the frame rate, the faster it can fill in the gaps" in other words you could be standing still and you wouldn't even notice the original low resolution image.
The video creator has to slow the 240p to 720p version down to a speed you couldn't even notice in order for you to see the first low res frame, then within a few frames the results of how good the technique is are clear.
This version may not produce quite as good results as native 720p, but something like 360p to 1080p, then downsampled looks better than native 720p, with free AA as a result.
Staying at 360p native in portable mode drastically increases the rendering resources for the new hardware and it's no doubt faster processing capabilities.

New SOC would have to be Xavier or newer as it was the first to contain tensor cores (required for DLSS). If they went with anything more modern that would be more akin to a generational jump in performance. As much as I'd like to see a state of the art chip inside the next Switch I don't think that sounds like Nintendo's current strategy.

Logically I think we will get Xavier. Even a low end Xavier chip would be a 2x - 3x jump in GFLOPS compared to what we have in the switch. Factor in DLSS and I think most people will be happy. I just hope that boosted resolutions via DLSS can finally solve the horrible aliasing issues Nintendo games have had since forever.

Don't think this makes any sense.

People waiting for a Switch Pro after all this time are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I doubt very much that Nintendo will go to 4k until their next console (not an update or "Pro" console).

Expect faster loading times and better frame rates and that's it. Maybe a better resolution in handheld.

Longer battery life.

Bigger screen.

New joycons. Probably larger buttons.

MAYBE they will include the ability to use Bluetooth headsets.

If Switch "Pro" is going to have a feature that people will get "excited" about then I reckon it'll be that the tablet no longer uses a dock and casts to your screen instead.

Nintendo's E3 will be the same as usual. People hype themselves up too much and Nintendo does announce some good games but people are disappointed anyway.

Doubt they will even show "Switch Pro".

Personally speaking with a few Nintendo fanboys / cultists, I realized they really don't care about specs one bit. They just want a new way to spend money on Nintendo's products.
I think it's more that people just talk so much shit about performance and specs.

The review copies of Ratchet and Clank on PS5 didn't have the 60fps update so everyone is giving that game good reviews at only 30fps. Yet we're supposed to believe from some random wee guys on the internet that 30fps is somehow unplayable or unacceptable.

People probably just want good games instead of dumb conversations about framerates.

Last edited:

chonga

720p 120fps = 110.592.000 pixels per second
1440p 30fps = 110.592.000 pixels per second

That means there is no difference in terms of power/performance between Portable and Docked.

Something is wrong here.
When docked they're able to use Microsoft's patented uncompressed, high quality pixels.

tkscz

People waiting for a Switch Pro after all this time are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I doubt very much that Nintendo will go to 4k until their next console (not an update or "Pro" console).

Expect faster loading times and better frame rates and that's it. Maybe a better resolution in handheld.

Longer battery life.

Bigger screen.

If Switch "Pro" is going to have a feature that people will get "excited" about then I reckon it'll be that the tablet no longer uses a dock and casts to your screen instead.

Nintendo's E3 will be the same as usual. People hype themselves up too much and Nintendo does announce some good games but people are disappointed anyway.

Honestly I 100% agree with you. There is no Switch Pro, if these specs are correct, this is a full on next generation system.

A Switch Pro would be adding more CPU cores and RAM with higher clock speeds to the CPU, GPU and RAM. Look at Gameboy to Gameboy Color, DS to DSi or 3DS to New3DS.

If what these rumors are speculating is true, it wouldn't even be using Maxwell anymore. A full architecture upgrade with none of the old hardware left is not a "Pro" edition of a console, it's a next generation console.

Now, I can see them trying to Gameboy to Gameboy Color approach with it (keep releasing games that play on both with the next gen switch adding slight upgrades and slowly moving to next gen switch only games), but it still would be more than just a "Pro" console.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

Longer battery life.

Bigger screen.

If the rumour of the new model just replacing the old model is true, then yep. We basically have no idea, since all the insiders are clowns. Guess we will find out soon, hopefully tomorrow!

gamer82

Just got a used lite to tide me over £110 bargain. It has a few tiny imperfections but you need to look for them so I can’t complain.

I’ll wait to see how good the next one is before I rush in as I only play first party games really And with ps5 I’ve already got a backlog started that’s probably never going to get finished.

Not enough hours in the day , I wish zero mission and fusion where in the switch I’ll need to jump back to 3ds for those.

what do you recommended playing before dread ?

Top Bottom