• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch pro rumored to feature next-gen NVIDIA Lovelace architecture

McRazzle

Bloomberg is sticking to its report that it has PS4 Pro-XboxOneX level of power, according to one of its financial analysts.
Only way that would be possible would be on a 5nm enhanced node at TSMC.

Maogp

you don't know shit about DLSS then.

DLSS is what Switch needs. it's a perfect fit. a game like Witcher 3 which runs at 540p undocked today would be able to run at 1080p in handheld mode on a Switch Pro which would put it at a similar level of performance as the PS4 version. in docked mode it could go up to 1440p. now remember that Witcher 3 is one of the worst performing games on Switch.

Breath of the Wild could run at 1440p in handheld and 1800p docked. Of course it would make no sense to run BOTW at 1440p in handheld because the screen will still only be 720p. imagine what Nintendo could do if they made BOTW2 run at 540p and upscaled to 720p. instead of rendering those 180 vertical pixels they could use that power in other areas of the game. DLSS does have an overhead but it's not much. it's basically free performance. to run it at "4K" they'd only need to render at 1080p. they can do 900p with BOTW1 so it's really not gonna take them much to hit "4K".

if you think DLSS sucks imagine how hard it would be for nintendo to cram in the hardware to push games at native 4K. it ain't happening.
I agree, they could run a game in 640x480 and make it 720 in laptop and no one would notice the difference. The rest of the power for other things like physics post-processing effects and so on. Same thing when in dock mode, native resolution at 1080 or even 900p which becomes 1440 with dlss and in any case the difference would be minimally noticeable. DLSS is perfect for Switch.

tr1p1ex

i'm in the keep expectations in check camp . I except a refined Switch along the lines of the New 3ds compared to the 3ds. Nothing more.

People get too out there in their predictions and expectations. Any new tech they hear about turns into a miracle worker and pretty soon the new Switch is going to be faster than a Ps5 for less money and launching less than a year after the PS5 in a handheld form factor with double the battery life of the old Switch.

DLSS is closer to just being a fancy upscaler. Until I see that stuff actually doing something in the real world that the average person cares about I'll believe in it. But for now I don't think it's a close to a miracle worker. It seems like it can help a bit sometimes but other times not so much.

There is always the chance Nintendo changes and does some much more expensive much nicer Switch Pro. But I doubt it. The CEO will always make you feel like they are doing something "cutting edge" in vague terms. But cutting edge could be the OLED screen. IT could be the same chip on ~7nm or 5nm process or whatever is smaller than what they have now which might allow a minor performance boost. IT could be extra battery life. Faster storage.

Xdrive05

I think if DLSS is a part of this next hardware, then it has to be a new node and architecture. My understanding is you cannot simply “bolt on” tensor cores to a Tegra X1. It has to be integrated into the design, and software has to be specifically coded to use it.

But let’s real talk here for a minute. This is Nintendo. Everything we know about the company says they are far more likely to, at most, yet again node shrink their existing X1 and simply up the clock speed to make up that power draw difference, rather than paying for a new design. That way it will play all existing Switch games without compatibility concerns, and then they can simply offer a new high clock profile for devs to take advantage of the new speeds.

The truth is the technology exists, or could exist, to do the things heavily speculated in this thread like with DLSS and such. But this is Nintendo. They maximize hardware profits first and foremost. They won’t adopt expensive new silicon when a retread of their existing chip will “do”.

Last edited:
Top Bottom