• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller for Rocket League?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Has anybody tried it?

I want to buy it sonI can use it for other Switch games but I also wanted to know if it works especially well for the game, Rocket League. Does anyone know?

The best controller for that game are the xbox1 controller and the ps4 controller from what I have seen but also a decent amount of people are using Switch Pro Controllers as well on their PC on Steam. So I figure the Pro Controller must be fairly decent for the game?

Please let me know if you’ve tried. My joycons would be fine if they didn’t drift and fuck up every couple of games or so. I can’t afford to lose out on even one play so Joycons I will ditch for RL. My gamecube controllers don’t feel natural nd or this game at all

Switch Pro Controller is extremely similar to Xbox1 controller so I figure it will be worth it

jts

...hate me...
Haven't played Rocket League in a long time but yeah it works and they are much better than the joy-cons. It's a very comfortable and ergonomic controller. Compared to the Xbox controller or DS4 it doesn't have analogue triggers, but I played RL first on PS4 and then on Switch and didn't really miss analogue throttle or whatever. But IDK, could make a difference for more advanced players.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Haven't played Rocket League in a long time but yeah it works and they are much better than the joy-cons. It's a very comfortable and ergonomic controller. Compared to the Xbox controller or DS4 it doesn't have analogue triggers, but I played RL first on PS4 and then on Switch and didn't really miss analogue throttle or whatever. But IDK, could make a difference for more advanced players.
Huh, no analog trigger you say? That might be a problem. I tried playing with the gamecube controllers and you have to hold down the unique R button the gamecube boasts and even though it's smooth as hell for every game, it does not cut it for Rocket League unfortunately. It will wreak havoc on your finger, joints, and wrist. Probably all the way down to the nerves in your elbow now that I think about it. But yeah, too much pressure on everything. Thanks for the solid reply

Leaning towards the xbox one controller now due to those amazing analog triggers. Only thing is, I'll need to buy an 8bitdo adapter in addition to the xbx1 controller and it wont be compatible with all Switch games as the Pro controller would be

How does it feel holding down the button in RL, do you know, for the Pro controller? Taxing on your finger after each game or a few games?

jts

...hate me...
Huh, no analog trigger you say? That might be a problem. I tried playing with the gamecube controllers and you have to hold down the unique R button the gamecube boasts and even though it's smooth as hell for every game, it does not cut it for Rocket League unfortunately. It will wreak havoc on your finger, joints, and wrist. Probably all the way down to the nerves in your elbow now that I think about it. But yeah, too much pressure on everything. Thanks for the solid reply

Leaning towards the xbox one controller now due to those amazing analog triggers. Only thing is, I'll need to buy an 8bitdo adapter in addition to the xbx1 controller and it wont be compatible with all Switch games as the Pro controller would be

How does it feel holding down the button in RL, do you know, for the Pro controller? Taxing on your finger after each game or a few games?
Honestly I can't say it feels taxing, it's clicky but very easy to press. Back when I played a bunch more of RL I never felt it was wearing out my finger or even thought about it really.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Honestly I can't say it feels taxing, it's clicky but very easy to press. Back when I played a bunch more of RL I never felt it was wearing out my finger or even thought about it really.
Thanks dude. So have you played with the Xbox One controller before? Because I have a very hard time imagining that the Pro controller's button used for speeding in RL is as easy to hold down as the Xbox One controller. I usually like to play about an hour's worth at a time. But you know what, maybe it's about as easy as the Joycons speed button for RL now that I'm wondering about it...Yeah, I'm guessing it might be. I'll have to look into some reviews on youtube to find that out

Thanks again bro, really appreciate the input

Reactions: jts

jts

...hate me...
Thanks dude. So have you played with the Xbox One controller before? Because I have a very hard time imagining that the Pro controller's button used for speeding in RL is as easy to hold down as the Xbox One controller. I usually like to play about an hour's worth at a time. But you know what, maybe it's about as easy as the Joycons speed button for RL now that I'm wondering about it...Yeah, I'm guessing it might be. I'll have to look into some reviews on youtube to find that out

Thanks again bro, really appreciate the input
I have played very little time with a Xbox One controller, most of my playtime was on PS4 before the Switch. But I guess it's like you said, basically as easy to hold down as a Switch joy-con R button, maybe even easier and softer (just tried both and the joy-con clicks way louder and seems to offer more resistance).

No problem! The thread title immediately resonated to me because playing RL with a Pro Controller was something that I've done a lot.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I have played very little time with a Xbox One controller, most of my playtime was on PS4 before the Switch. But I guess it's like you said, basically as easy to hold down as a Switch joy-con R button, maybe even easier and softer (just tried both and the joy-con clicks way louder and seems to offer more resistance).

No problem! The thread title immediately resonated to me because playing RL with a Pro Controller was something that I've done a lot.
Thank you, jts, I think I am sold now! Going to buy the Pro controller soon. It'll also be a better purchase for me since I want to play BOTW a bit more after I finish the current game I've been working on

But just to let you know, the Xbox One controller is like butter dude. The analog triggers are so damn smooth for RL. It's literally like pressing down on a stick of butter that's been microwaved to the point where it gives easily. If it weren't for the Pro controller being good for other games, I wouldn't have even thought about it, the Xbox One controller for RL is a no brainer

Reactions: jts

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I just bought one after one set of Joycons was drifting and losing communication. Best Buy was the only place that would ship it free at Retail price and it came 4 days sooner than they estimated. Just an FYI because I almost didn't buy from them because the estimated delivery date was 8 days.

I also own a magic NS. It lets you use nearly any controller on the swich and PC. I had used it with a WiiU controller and it worked fine. It pairs with Xbone controllers too. I never tried that because I think the reverse face button names would hurt my brain but if you want to play the game on the switch with the Xbone controller that will do it for you. I also lets you use a WiiU pro controller on PC and a number of other ones.

I have way too many fucking controllers.

jts

...hate me...
Thank you, jts, I think I am sold now! Going to buy the Pro controller soon. It'll also be a better purchase for me since I want to play BOTW a bit more after I finish the current game I've been working on

But just to let you know, the Xbox One controller is like butter dude. The analog triggers are so damn smooth for RL. It's literally like pressing down on a stick of butter that's been microwaved to the point where it gives easily. If it weren't for the Pro controller being good for other games, I wouldn't have even thought about it, the Xbox One controller for RL is a no brainer
I haven't played enough with the Xbox 1 controller to know it but I believe you. I'm also not sure if with an adapter you'd have to press the trigger all the way or just any amount to register ZR? But I'm guessing analog throttle would be out of the table since the system probably doesn't accept it, or at least the Switch version of the game.

Anyway, Switch Pro Controller is a great controller, save for the iffy d-pad, so enjoy!

JimboJones

I use it all the time in Rocket League, not a pro at the game, far from it but I haven't really missed the analog triggers but maybe if you where really good at the game you would but can't really answer from that perspective.
Apart from the triggers it just feels like a Xbox controller and has motion control you can take advantage of through steam.

Mypmarlo

Banned
Pro controller is pretty great controller.
Leagues ahead of DS4.
Sits in ur hands like a dream.
Built quality is pretty top notch

Fbh

Haven't played rocket league on Switch since the paid online was implemented on the console.
But from before I remember the pro controller working fine for rocket league, definitely MUCH better than the joy cons

If you already own either a Dualshock4 or an Xbox1 controller though, I'd suggest looking into the 8Bitdo or the Magic NS. They are $20 adapter that lets you use a variety of different controllers on the switch.

I personally don't really like the Switch pro controller, the only good thing it has going for it is the great battery life. Other than that the analog sticks are too loose, the dpad is terrible and it lacks analog triggers. I wish I knew about the adapters I mentioned above before I bought my pro controller.

Last edited:
Nobody should ever use a Nintendo Switch Pro controller for anything that requires analogue input, i.e. brake and accelerate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom