• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch OLED UK launch significantly bigger than Switch Lite

Bullet Club

Nintendo Switch OLED UK launch significantly bigger than Switch Lite​

14th biggest week for Switch sales to-date

Nintendo Switch OLED has got off to a strong start in the UK, according to data from GfK Entertainment.

Last week was the 14th biggest week for Switch console sales in the UK since the machine launched in 2017. All 13 higher positions are during the peak Christmas and Black Friday sales periods, or the launch week of the Switch itself (which is the fourth biggest week overall).

It comfortably outperformed the launch week of the Nintendo Switch Lite in 2019, which ranks as the 57th biggest week for Switch.

The Switch Lite was a slow-burner for Nintendo. The Lite version currently represents around 20% of total Switch sales since it launched in the UK.

The OLED version of the Switch accounted for 70% of all Switch sales last week. And after just one week the new edition accounts for 7% of all Switch UK sales during 2021.

The biggest week for Switch in the UK was during Black Friday 2019, followed by Black Friday 2018 and then Black Friday 2020.

Switch OLED launched alongside the new Metroid Dread game, which is the highest-grossing launch for a Metroid game in UK chart history.

Source: Game Industry

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean yeah I still dont know who the Switch lite was for? people who where LITE on money perhaps? ho ho ho

il say it again if your getting a switch then the OLED makes sense (its also coming up to christmas) however if you already have a switch and like me primarily use it docked then there is little reason to upgrade. I assume that this will not be double dippers but new switch owners who have just seen a new shiny thing come out just before christmas.

Deerock71

I mean yeah I still dont know who the Switch lite was for? people who where LITE on money perhaps? ho ho ho

il say it again if your getting a switch then the OLED makes sense (its also coming up to christmas) however if you already have a switch and like me primarily use it docked then there is little reason to upgrade. I assume that this will not be double dippers but new switch owners who have just seen a new shiny thing come out just before christmas.
I'm not a double dipper. I'm a QUINTUPLE dipper, but I do have kids lol. Anyway, I think the 299 and 349 models are going to show the lite the door. With the lite, you're trimming 66.6 of the Switch's value proposition, since you're not getting the docked experience and it doesn't include even a SHITTY little kickstand.

I am not sure but here I can go right now to a store and I will find plenty. It does not seem to be a game changer for the Switch... I guess it will just replace sales (instead of buying the OG Switch people will obviously pick the OLED version).

NinjaBoiX

I only play my Switch handheld, so I actually traded in my OG for a Lite. It’s so much more comfortable and enjoyable to play, the OG is just too big and cumbersome. I couldn’t go back, despite how much better that screen is.

I’d LOVE a Lite with the OLED screen but I just can’t see it happening unfortunately!

tonyhh

Neo Member
Considering people in the UK only play FIFA, it's pretty impressive to see the Switch OLED selling like this.

Little Mac

I'd rather have an OLED Switch Lite ... or a screenless switch console for my tv. Nintendo should ditch the hybrid bullshit next round and just sell two different consoles that play the same software. Let players decide if they want a great handheld or a great home console. In regards to the current switch, a jack of all trades is a master of none.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
It's quite telling actually that the larger Switches are selling more than the smaller one. Yes I know it can do both portable and TV, but from reading a lot of people's concerns it's too big and not portable enough, plus Nintendo's history with their small portables, you'd think the Lite should lead the sales every time.

This is good. In fact, I hope they sell an even larger 8" display :messenger_grinning_sweat: As bezel-less as possible.

MrA

Banned
I wonder if it was enough to pull the switch back ahead of the ps5, in the UK Should make for an interesting rush to the finish line for the end of the year,
though there is the possibility of jag-off scalpers gobbled up all the supply and the actual demand isn't as high (we all know scalpers bought a mountain of the oleds, but those could easily have been sold out just as fast without scalpers)
Considering people in the UK only play FIFA, it's pretty impressive to see the Switch OLED selling like this.
oh come on man, they play gta 5 too.

Deerock71

I'd rather have an OLED Switch Lite ... or a screenless switch console for my tv. Nintendo should ditch the hybrid bullshit next round and just sell two different consoles that play the same software. Let players decide if they want a great handheld or a great home console. In regards to the current switch, a jack of all trades is a master of none.
Yes, Nintendo, just follow the Vita and PSTV model next time!

Okay, THAT was sarcasm.

Last edited:

Reallink

I was told nobody wanted it because it wasn't 4k.

Sales in NA and Japan are going to be monstrous. UK is Nintendo's worst territory.

It's apparently not doing too hot in the US, at least as far as hardware launches are concerned. Scalpers are basically selling them at cost on Ebay after taxes, fees, and shipping.

Switch Oled is definitely going to sell more than Switch Lite worldwide. People were making fun of Switch Oled after the announcement and they're in for a rude awakening when the system inevitably selling over 20 million units lol.
BEcause it's replacing the regular Switch, tho

Last edited:

Deerock71

It's apparently not doing too hot in the US, at least as far as hardware launches are concerned. Scalpers are basically selling them at cost on Ebay after taxes, fees, and shipping.
I personally believe the opposite is true. I think Nintendo is going to set an October record for hardware sales that will be tough to beat. They will accomplish this by providing an improved product and, because they're utilizing the existing supply chain, they are producing enough supply to meet demand. They'll also have the number 1 game of the month in Metroid. Believe.

MrA

Banned
so sold out isn't good enough? it's selling at a 30% premium
plus nintendo actually ships meaningful numbers of units to stores, unlike the xsx and ps5 scalpers don't have free access to nearly every spare unit

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Why would they choose if they can have both?

And don't tell me the Switch isn't a great home console. Don't even get me started..

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
It's not a new console, it's a revision.

They will sell whatever they can ship. Preorders sold out in 2 weeks.

If it did well in the UK it's going to do much, much better in the US. That's a rule of thumb.

It's most likely going outsell both the Lite and regular Switch from here on out as the Switch is on pace to be the highest selling console ever..

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Do you the actual number to back your claim on Nintendo Switch Oled didn't doing so hot in the us?

Kabelly

because it's Gen 1 switch. the hybrid nature is the switch. I play Splatoon exclusively docked, but I also beat Ornstein and Smough on a bus ride home and it was great.

It's why I'm not buying the OLED myself. I am waiting for the real hardware boost. I want to see what nintendo does for the power of the next iteration. I really will find it hard to believe Nintendo ditch this form factor anytime soon.

Brigandier

Recieved mine yesterday, I'm really happy with the OLED screen it's fantastic.

Imagine 1080p oled screen better cpu/gpu/ram....

jizz in my pants GIF

Reallink

Do you the actual number to back your claim on Nintendo Switch Oled didn't doing so hot in the us?

Based on preorder availability and anecdotal launch allocation numbers at individual stores, they seem to have shipped a pretty typical number of day 1 units for a US launch. I haven't seen any evidence they stuffed the channel with 3x, 5x, or 10x historical norms (if anything they're on the low end). As I said, in comparison to most other modern hardware launches, there is demonstrably little to no aftermarket demand. So given the absence of unprecedented volume and no secondary market demand, it seems like a pretty soft debut. But as mentioned it is a revision, not new hardware, and perhaps not a fair comparison. Could be very successful as far as revisions or mid-gen refreshes are concerned. Then again these are also unprecedented times with regards to consumer savings/cash, wildly inflated demand, and wide spread shortages predicted for Christmas (due to logistcal bottlenecks), so you would expect that is all a significant boon.

Last edited:
Another case of people totally underestimating the market Nintendo targets, this happens so often (would have said all the time but then there was the Wii U...).

Azelover

We already have japanese numbers for OLED Switch. Is it against the rules to post them here in the forum?

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

The Japanese / hardcore handheld enthusiasts / kids.

Azelover

I don't think it's against the rules at all. We have Japanese sales threads all the time.
Ok. Then here:
Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. [NSW] Metroid Dread (Nintendo, 10/08/21) – 86,798 (New)
  2. [PS4] Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft, 10/07/21) – 34,219 (New)
  3. [PS5] Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft, 10/07/21) – 16,686 (New)
  4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 12,257 (4,085,509)
  5. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 11,936 (4,450,954)
  6. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 11,257 (2,862,651)
  7. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 10,699 (2,225,165)
  8. [NSW] Doki Doki Literature Club Plus! (Playism, 10/17/21) – 9,513 (New)
  9. [PS4] Lost Judgment (Sega, 09/24/21) – 8,589 (140,834)
  10. [NSW] WarioWare: Get It Together! (Nintendo, 09/10/21) – 7,787 (144,966)
Rankings 11 to 30 will be announced on October 15.

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. Switch OLED Model – 138,409 (New)
  2. Switch – 32,792 (17,198,146)
  3. PlayStation 5 – 13,786 (922,929)
  4. Switch Lite – 8,650 (4,088,784)
  5. Xbox Series S – 2,920 (38,307)
  6. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 2,099 (177,974)
  7. PlayStation 4 – 961 (7,813,467)
  8. Xbox Series X – 527 (64,284)
  9. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 405 (1,174,950)

Top Bottom