• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Switch] List of Japanese Titles that Support Multiple Languages

Fair enough, I stand corrected :)

I guess I should have said that the games get listed in the store between 10AM to 12PM.

no that's what i mean too, sorry — that's when they get listed. i got mario kart 8 deluxe the evening before its release date, for example, and most wii u games were the same.

New and upcoming games listed:

ACA NeoGeo Shock Troopers 2nd Squad (Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian) [Digital: 110MB] Hamster 17-06-08

Pokkén Tournament DX (Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian) [Digital + Physical] Nintendo 17-09-22

no that's what i mean too, sorry — that's when they get listed. i got mario kart 8 deluxe the evening before its release date, for example, and most wii u games were the same.

We're splitting semantics here. By listing, I mean when the game first get listed on the store (whether immediately for sale or under the coming soon section). Almost all the 1st party games, and a good portion of 3rd party ones, get listed way in advance of the release date. ARMS, Splatoon 2 and Pokkén, for instance, have already been listed. The same goes for Monster Hunter XX and the Mana collection.

That said, those games that don't get listed in advance will have to wait for the regular update time to appear.

Slight update.

Looks like ARMS will be 2.4GB while Splatoon 2 will be 5.5GB in size.

Vm5jmNL.jpg

Vinnk

Is Splatoon the only 1st party title so far to not have English on the Japanese cart?

I am guessing Xenoblade 2 will be the 2nd. But fingers crossed they at least include English subs.

Madao

surprised that Splatoon 2 is jp language only. i would have thought all their first party games releasing worldwide on the same date would contain all languages.

i bet their online mode has extra code to split them for things like Splatfests (the original got more and different splatfests than the rest of the world)

New and Upcoming Games added.

Multiple Languages:

ACA NeoGeo Sengoku (Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian) [Digital: 77.0MB] Hamster 17-06-15

LEGO City Undercover (Japanese, English) [Digital + Physical] Warner Bros. 17-06-29

Mighty Gunvolt Burst [Digital: 33.0MB] (Japanese, English) Inti Creates 17-06-15

Oceanhorn: Monsters of the Uncharted Sea (Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Korean, Chinese) [Digital: 280MB] FDG Entertainment 17-06-22

Sonic Mania (Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian) [Digital] Sega 17-08-16

Super Mario Odyssey (Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Russian) [Digital + Physical] Nintendo 17-10-27

Japanese Only:

Fire Emblem Warriors (Japanese) [Digital + Physical] Koei Tecmo 17-09-28

Photon^3 (Japanese) Smileaxe 17-06-29

Xenoblade2 (Japanese) [Digital + Physical] Nintendo TBA

Clov

Was hoping to pick up FE Warriors and Xenoblade 2 in Japan after moving there, but I guess I'll have to import the English versions from home. At least Mario Odyssey will be fine.

coughlanio

Just cancelled my Splatoon 2 preorder which is annoying. Need to track down somewhere I can get a US copy as close to launch as possible. Has there been cases where games have been listed as just being Japanese until closer to launch?

Just cancelled my Splatoon 2 preorder which is annoying. Need to track down somewhere I can get a US copy as close to launch as possible. Has there been cases where games have been listed as just being Japanese until closer to launch?
European version doesn't mention Japanese language so it's highly unlikely it is just a mistake.

Shahadan

I feel we'll have to remind people to not buy the japanese version of splatoon before launch. Lots of people are unaware and some have preordered already

coughlanio

I feel we'll have to remind people to not buy the japanese version of splatoon before launch. Lots of people are unaware and some have preordered already

I felt it was a safe bet, with it being a first party game with a simultaneous global launch. I wonder what the reasoning is? I'd understand if it was heavily voiced, and space was a concern etc.

I felt it was a safe bet, with it being a first party game with a simultaneous global launch. I wonder what the reasoning is? I'd understand if it was heavily voiced, and space was a concern etc.

region-based splatfest most likely. less work needed by not localizing region-specific splatfest texts throughout the splatfest life (until the final splatfest)

jmizzal

New and Upcoming Games Added.

Multiple Languages

ACA NeoGeo Fatal Fury 2 (Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian) [Digital: 85.0MB] Hamster 17-06-22

Dead House: Saisei (Japanese, English) [Digital] Rainy Frog 17-06-29

Implosion (Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Russian, Korean, Chinese) [Digital] Flyhigh Works 17-07-06

Japanese Only

Touch Battle Tank SP (Japanese) [Digital: 50.0MB] SilverStarJapan17-06-22

Hope we get word soon on Implosion coming to the west and a date, if not def will get it on the jp shop

I think I might finally try that Vaccine game on Switch. (Dead House)

It's like a randomly generated Resident Evil with tank controls, right? (Multiplayer?)

is that game already confirmed for western release in the 1st place?

Not on Switch. They just said they are localizing it. No platforms. Most likely PS4 and PC with vita being skipped. No idea abotu Switch sicne they havent released nobunaga or ROTK13 in English on Switch even though the JP ports exist + EN localization exists

Eolz

is that game already confirmed for western release in the 1st place?

Not on Switch. They just said they are localizing it. No platforms. Most likely PS4 and PC with vita being skipped. No idea abotu Switch sicne they havent released nobunaga or ROTK13 in English on Switch even though the JP ports exist + EN localization exists

I believe it'll come to the west.
Nobunaga/ROTK are pretty different since those were for launch window in Japan and the next games are coming to Switch as well, where a localization will make more sense.

NoA2 will probably be released in the West to start the Vita fanbase transition (whereas Nobunaga/ROTK is not selling much in the west, and is for a different audience). Especially since Vita ports are pretty bad for Gust games now.

New and Upcoming Games.

Multiple Languages

ACA NeoGeo Magical Drop 2 (Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian) [Digital: 86.0MB] Hamster 17-06-29

Cars 3: Driven to Win (Japanese, English) [Digital + Physical] Warner Bros 17-07-20

De Mambo (Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese) [Digital: 547MB] Chorus Worldwide 17-06-29

GoNNER (Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Korean, Chinese) [Digital: 300MB] Raw Fury 17-06-29

I and Me (Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Chinese) [Digital] Rainy Frog 17-07-06

-shadow-

I'm hoping dual language might still happen for Xenoblade 2, I loved the original in Japanese and NOE has given full support for dual language in a bunch of games over the years, but unfortunately they're never really consistent with that.

region-based splatfest most likely. less work needed by not localizing region-specific splatfest texts throughout the splatfest life (until the final splatfest)
Wouldn't it be easier to just check the system settings and go from there for the Splatfest? If it's set to Japanese just connect with the Japanese Splatfest. No doubt some would just change the settings to play any of them, but making a separate SKU just for that alone seems like more work to me personally. On the other hand, it still is Nintendo, so who knows...

molnizzle

FYI

My microSD card died (it was old, pre-3DS) so I had to re-download all my games. I downloaded ARMS along with everything else without switching my Nintendo account region back to Japan. I had originally bought ARMS from Amazon.co.jp and redeemed on the Japanese eShop. Instead of making a second account I just changed my primary account's region.

I bring this up because I suspect it might be possible to buy a game without English support from the Japanese eShop, then change your Nintendo account region back to US/UK and download the English client. I'm gonna bite the bullet and test this out with Splatoon 2 since Amazon.co.jp gave me a 500 yen discount for buying ARMS.

I'm hoping dual language might still happen for Xenoblade 2, I loved the original in Japanese and NOE has given full support for dual language in a bunch of games over the years, but unfortunately they're never really consistent with that.

Wouldn't it be easier to just check the system settings and go from there for the Splatfest? If it's set to Japanese just connect with the Japanese Splatfest. No doubt some would just change the settings to play any of them, but making a separate SKU just for that alone seems like more work to me personally. On the other hand, it still is Nintendo, so who knows...
the way I see how language based on system region implemented on switch so far is like
if system region = English, load English text/voice files on boot while not changing anything else. system region don't determine which server you connect to get data/update I believe. so, there's no way the game will know which splatfest data to get each month. in the long run, it's easier to maintain different sku for regional based event. of course I might be totally wrong in this part and this post can be safely ignored

FYI

My microSD card died (it was old, pre-3DS) so I had to re-download all my games. I downloaded ARMS along with everything else without switching my Nintendo account region back to Japan. I had originally bought ARMS from Amazon.co.jp and redeemed on the Japanese eShop. Instead of making a second account I just changed my primary account's region.

I bring this up because I suspect it might be possible to buy a game without English support from the Japanese eShop, then change your Nintendo account region back to US/UK and download the English client. I'm gonna bite the bullet and test this out with Splatoon 2 since Amazon.co.jp gave me a 500 yen discount for buying ARMS.

the reason why it works with arms because there's only a single arms version used for all region eshop. don't think the same will happen with splatoon 2. actually, someone can just try your theory with puyo puyo tetris (or disgaea 5) since jp version is different from non-jp version

Safros

the reason why it works with arms because there's only a single arms version used for all region eshop. don't think the same will happen with splatoon 2. actually, someone can just try your theory with puyo puyo tetris (or disgaea 5) since jp version is different from non-jp version

It doesn't work for D5 or Puyo. Tried it some time ago.

Poketune

Shame about Splatoon 2 not supporting English. I really wanted to save money on the digital copy ($60 CAD) vs a local digital copy ($79.99 plus tax).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Shame about Splatoon 2 not supporting English. I really wanted to save money on the digital copy ($60 CAD) vs a local digital copy ($79.99 plus tax).
What if you download it in Japanese digital, then delete it: can't it be redownloaded from your eshop region?

Chucker

Ugh, preordered Splatoon 2 JP after I got the email from Amazon.co.jp with the 500 yen discount.

Looks like I can't cancel it now. Bleh.

Edit: Nevermind, it was somewhere else. Was able to cancel.

molnizzle

Damn, you're right. It doesn't work.

I have the U.S. version of Puyo Puyo so I tried to do the reverse. Deleted the game, set console and Nintendo account to Japan, re-downloaded from Japanese eShop. Loaded the game up and everything was still in English.

So that confirms it. Make sure y'all cancel your JP Splatoon 2 pre-orders if you don't want to play in Japanese.

Top Bottom