• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the second best-selling console of all time in France

sandbood

Banned
As the tradition, Philippe Lavoué (Nintendo France President) has shared several tidbits about the Switch performance in 2022:
  • 987.000 Switch units sold in 2022, 50% of consoles sold were Switch in 2022
  • That puts the Switch total at 7.09m units since launch, above the record held by the Wii (6.3m) and above the PS4 (6.0m)
  • The Nintendo DS remains untouchable (10.6m units)
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe attach-rate is above 50% in France, which would translate to 3.55m+ units to date.
  • Pokémon had a record-breaking year for a franchise in France.
  • Three Pokemon games (Arceus, Violet and Scarlet) are in the overall best-selling top 10 in France in 2022, a first.
  • Pokémon Legends: Arceus is the best-selling individual SKU of the year, above FIFA on PS4 at #2.
  • They are also planning marketing activity around the Mario movie.
In terms of software sales, we got the following updates (retail only):
  1. Pokémon Scarlet & Violet - 701.000 units
  2. Pokémon Legends: Arceus - 575.000 units
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 445.000 units
  4. Nintendo Switch Sports - 425.000 units
  5. Mario Strikers - 264.000 units
  6. Splatoon 3 - 254.000 units
  7. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 253.000 units
  8. Kirby and the Forgotten Land - 214.000 units
https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...r-in-france-top-software-sales-and-more.1317/

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Absolutely mind-blowing performance, the Switch is performing like a new console.

I can't understand why Scalet & Violet is so big, it's noticeably bigger than Sword & Shield.

When you get games like Splatoon 3 and the Pokemon games, raking in hundreds of millions for Nintendo, there is no way they will consider a new console anytime soon. When you have something so popular still going strong, the right people are getting paid, the stocks are strong and the company is getting fat. No incentive to push for new machines, they would be fools to do so.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Absolutely mind-blowing performance, the Switch is performing like a new console.

I can't understand why Scalet & Violet is so big, it's noticeably bigger than Sword & Shield.

When you get games like Splatoon 3 and the Pokemon games, raking in hundreds of millions for Nintendo, there is no way they will consider a new console anytime soon. When you have something so popular still going strong, the right people are getting paid, the stocks are strong and the company is getting fat. No incentive to push for new machines, they would be fools to do so.
You could say that on any iPhone, why release a new one?

I think it makes sense to do it because you want to bank on success. My worry is that they'll do another WiiU concept, which took the very "keep it simple" approach of the Wii and did a 180. They need slight improvements, but I do think it's time and they should build on it. At least a new SKU that gives something fresh.

spons

Gold Member
I'm still surprised they're killing off local Nintendo branches, including France and the Benelux. The Switch is massively popular in those regions, so let's centralize everything in Germany?

convenient that now they separate handheld from home console. Depending on the weather switch is either a portable or home console when it comes to drafting headlines

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

And still without a price drop 5 years after launch

head explode GIF by Martin Onassis

The handhelds had deep discounts comparatively

Reallink

The thing that really helps portable sells (compared to traditional consoles) is duplicates within the same "household". It's obviously quite common for households to have anywhere from 3 - 5 different Switches (as they're viewed as a personal device like a phone), but only 1 Xbox or Playstation. Among early adopters, I would also hazard a guess the vast majority of them have "upgraded" it at least once (not because it broke, but because they view it as outdated or worn out, like a 7 year old phone or tablet). While that is an immaterial distinction for financial reports, it is material for "console warz" sells charts.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Astral Dog

convenient that now they separate handheld from home console. Depending on the weather switch is either a portable or home console when it comes to drafting headlines
I consider it a handheld, its selling more in line with Nintendo portable hardware, with the added benefit of being the only Nintendo console

However the DS was a beast before Smartphone gaming took over, the Switch in comparison is more expensive and less 'casual' friendly

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

TonyK

The thing that really helps portable sells (compared to traditional consoles) is duplicates within the same "household". It's obviously quite common for households to have anywhere from 3 - 5 different Switches (as they're viewed as a personal device like a phone), but only 1 Xbox or Playstation. Among early adopters, I would also hazard a guess the vast majority of them have "upgraded" it at least once (not because it broke, but because they view it as outdated or worn out, like a 7 year old phone or tablet). While that is an immaterial distinction for financial reports, it is material for "console warz" sells charts.
True, we have 3 at home.

Deerock71

This whole post kind of smells like copium. I dismiss the notion that there was never a repeat buyer amongst Xbox or Playstation owners out there. Hell, my household has an Xbox Series X and two Xbox Series S', and they're all working just fine.

If the Switch peaks higher than the PS2, the sun will rise the following morning.

TLZ

Banned
This whole post kind of smells like copium. I dismiss the notion that there was never a repeat buyer amongst Xbox or Playstation owners out there. Hell, my household has an Xbox Series X and two Xbox Series S', and they're all working just fine.

If the Switch peaks higher than the PS2, the sun will rise the following morning.
He's right though. I've always owned one current home console compared to multiple portable consoles of the one brand. And I've seen it happen around me too.

For example, in the one household, I've commonly seen one NES or one SNES or PS or PS2 or Xbox etc. But I've always seen multiple Game Boys, GBAs, DSs, 3DSs. The obvious reason is you only need one home console to play multiplayer, but you need multiple portables for multiplayer, i.e. one portable per person. There's no other way around it. It's normal and common practice.

Same story with the Switch to a degree. Even though you can play multiplayer on one Switch on TV, you need multiple Switches when portable. That's what we do at home too. I've got two for both my girls. I was about to get a 3rd (Lite) for my wife but she didn't want one. Might still get one later when it's cheaper because she strictly players Tetris portable.

Oh I forgot to mention we also have 4 3DSs, 2 Vitas and 4 iPads (I guess you can consider these the same since they're bought for portable gaming use). As for home consoles, I just have one of each from the many gens. The only one I have 2 of is the PS3, because I wanted to hack one back in the day and didn't want to hack my main one. It was a curious thing and my first foray into hacking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom