• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the most popular gaming console of all time

You are right! It´s a tablet! The Steamdeck will kill the Switch and its kinky, quirky often recycled, ported games.

If you are 30+ and still playing Nintendo games = imma call FBI/SWAT Team on you or get a proper scolding!
team genius GIF
the flintstones pain GIF

holy shit that first gif :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Romulus

Good for them, it is a cheap machine with a bunch of games that makes an easy gift for kids. I had one for about 9 months and just found myself looking to play the games on emulation at higher resolution and framerate.

MrA

Banned
Nothing is ever going to sell more than the ps2, it was an anomaly.
by the end of next year the switch is likely to be at 125~130 million, how nintendo chooses to handle the successor and price drops, if they can squeeze 2 more decent years it will go well past the ps2
plus ps4 probably could have approached or topped the ps2 if sony hadn't sacc'ed it for the ps5 (not that I say it was the wrong move, limited manufacturing space and all) i'd actually say that is part of the demand for the ps5/xsx is that the previous-gen consoles aren't an option for the value-minded buyer , I wouldn't be surprised if the ps4 had 25-30 million left in demand,

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I am 43. Thanks for asking. I am a Nintendo fan. I have all their consoles. I am not hating on anything. I am pointing out what actually happened. The wii was massive but by 2010 it was dead.
2010 was still a big year, releasing Mario galaxy 2 and DKR as well as selling another 15 million unitS is pretty good for a "dead" system.

FStubbs

Not arguing that but it was more of a culture shift. Wii was killed by Nintendo but more important, by smartphones. Smartphones were the new hot thing, so it was inevitable.
People keep saying that but I don't think it's true. Smartphones can't replicate experiences like Wii Sports so the Wii wasn't beaten by them. The Wii faded because Nintendo tried to sell the expanded audience Wii Music, which sucked, then had nothing more for them until Ring Fit Adventure on the Switch. 2D Mario brought in a different crowd that launched it over 100 million, but then nothing more for that crowd either.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People keep saying that but I don't think it's true. Smartphones can't replicate experiences like Wii Sports so the Wii wasn't beaten by them. The Wii faded because Nintendo tried to sell the expanded audience Wii Music, which sucked, then had nothing more for them until Ring Fit Adventure on the Switch. 2D Mario brought in a different crowd that launched it over 100 million, but then nothing more for that crowd either.
Wii caught on to a giant fad where even talk shows were talking about it. The news surrounding Wii must had been so big that even non-gamers (which we all know) somehow bought a Wii when they've had zero interest in PS or Xbox or even older Nintnedo systems. But Wii magically got on their radar.

There were many people I know who didnt care one bit about consoles but said they got a Wii. And after they got tired of it, went back to normal and never got another console. One and done.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
"Basically it's based on how many units sold per years in production"

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

"all time"
According to the Nintendo link above saying Nintendo still made Famicoms till 2003, if Nintendo decided to continue making another batch of NES in 2022, would that count as 1 additional year, or +19 years compared to 2003?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The Wii faded because Nintendo tried to sell the expanded audience Wii Music, then had nothing more for them until Ring Fit Adventure
Are you implying they didn't have any other "Wii" styled games or casual experiences up their sleeve?

Topher

Gold Member
According to the Nintendo link above saying Nintendo still made Famicoms till 2003, if Nintendo decided to continue making another batch of NES in 2022, would that count as 1 additional year, or +19 years compared to 2003?

This all looks like bullshit to me, dude. Hell, if longevity is no concern then Xbox Series S is the "most popular console of all time", right? Wasn't that a thread a few days ago? So change the parameters and you can make any argument anytime you want. Lying with statistics isn't new.

And I have no negative thoughts on Switch in this regard. Just seems someone was creating clickbait, frankly.

Or being on the market for 12 years and being $99 for 3 of those years. That helped, too.

Being on the market 12 years is an accomplishment in itself. Switch has a long way to go, as does most consoles.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Which is why it boggles the mind why the series S isn't a hybrid portable akin to the Steam Deck. Not sure why Sony and ms are so keen to leave the whole portable market to Nintendo when porting games is so much easier than it was back in the ds/psp days.

As much as this success is massive, one has to recognize that it's at least 50% because they have the portable game machine market all to themselves and no competition.

Robb

Gold Member
Eh.. This metric is kinda weird, and it seems strange to me to include systems that have not ended production on the list. For all we know Switch could drop a lot for 2-3 years in the future and suddenly the average will collapse.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

The fact it has reached 90 million without any significant price drops is rather insane to me. The PS2 was dirt cheap the last few years on the market and certainly enabled it to get such a high number.

I assume Switch will have a decent shot of beating the PS2 since it will likely have significant price reductions eventually. Assuming Nintendo doesn't completely kill it when the inevitable sequel arrives in a couple years

Stuart360

Nah it doesnt work like that for me. PS2 is still king until its officially beaten.
Who knows what could happen over the next 2 oe 3 years. Thats why companies dont use metrics like this to proclaim a product as the most popular, or biggest sellng, etc.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The fact it has reached 90 million without any significant price drops is rather insane to me. The PS2 was dirt cheap the last few years on the market and certainly enabled it to get such a high number.

I assume Switch will have a decent shot of beating the PS2 since it will likely have significant price reductions eventually. Assuming Nintendo doesn't completely kill it when the inevitable sequel arrives in a couple years
The system is selling like 20-25M units per year and still gaining traction. At this rate, it'll pass PS2 in about 3 years.

Given there's no sign of a Switch 2 coming out anytime soon killing Switch sales, there doesn't seem to be any supply issues some reason, I think it's a given it'll beat PS2's 150M. Even if Switch 2 comes out in a couple years, it's not like Switch 1 sales come to a complete stop. It'll keep selling for a few more years until Nintendo cuts it off.

killatopak

Gold Member
I wouldn’t be surprised if it is. The only thing really holding it back for me to be definitive is the lack of big 3rd party releases such as COD an BF, as bad as they are right now, are still juggernauts of the gaming industry. Not to mention the other stuff like AC and Farcry from other publishers.

FStubbs

Wii caught on to a giant fad where even talk shows were talking about it. The news surrounding Wii must had been so big that even non-gamers (which we all know) somehow bought a Wii when they've had zero interest in PS or Xbox or even older Nintnedo systems. But Wii magically got on their radar.

There were many people I know who didnt care one bit about consoles but said they got a Wii. And after they got tired of it, went back to normal and never got another console. One and done.
Right. And they got tired of it because Nintendo couldn't keep the software coming.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
What came out after Wii Music? Wii Sports Resort was crippled by needing Motion Plus. After that ....?
Wii Sports Resort was big enough to do some serious numbers, like what 30 million copies sold? Even if you consider all the bundled sales it is still a feat.

There was also Wii Party and if we mention Wii Party we should also mention Mario Party as both are very similar. As a matter of fact, it wasn't before the Wii until Mario Party started to hit really big. They went from like 2-3 million copies per entry to almost 9 million with Mario Party 8.

Not to mention Wii Fit Plus. All of them received sequels on Wii U (or remaster in case of Wii Sports).

I'd also argue that New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart or all those Mario & Sonic titles are lighthearted experiences that casual gamers enjoy and buy.

Very high level of discussion from an angry over nothing fanboy. I bought an OLED Switch and I’m enjoying Dread and SMTV.

So go seethe over your perceived slight on your precious hardware. I’ll be enjoying games on this handheld with its lovely screen.

Eh I don't know, the backhanded compliment still screams "mad" to me so I'll stick to that!

leo-j

Which is why it boggles the mind why the series S isn't a hybrid portable akin to the Steam Deck. Not sure why Sony and ms are so keen to leave the whole portable market to Nintendo when porting games is so much easier than it was back in the ds/psp days.

As much as this success is massive, one has to recognize that it's at least 50% because they have the portable game machine market all to themselves and no competition.
They barely have the resources to make a home console . Also, Sony left the handheld market because of the rake of of the smartphone market which ate up vita and 3ds sales. Nintendo has completely gone against the grain with the switch. Which is incredible. I expect Sony to push a handheld again but in combination with their new streaming platform.

nordique

Whoa had no idea PS4 beat the Wii

Wow! I still remember picking mine up at launch day....hadn't been that excited for a new console since, ironically, the Wii in 2006!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whoa had no idea PS4 beat the Wii

Wow! I still remember picking mine up at launch day....hadn't been that excited for a new console since, ironically, the Wii in 2006!
PS4 had legs. Wii didn't. 360 and PS3 were selling more units than Wii in their later years. But that 2007-2010 period was gangbuster Wii sales. Then it dropped off a cliff fast.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Switch has fallen behind DS which peaked at 154 ish million. So, I def think releasing switch light (ds successor) and switch (Wii successor) has worked super well for Nintendo. I def see them doing well but the console is already down YOY.
Down year over year doesn’t mean anything when last year was like the highest sales year of any console ever.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They barely have the resources to make a home console . Also, Sony left the handheld market because of the rake of of the smartphone market which ate up vita and 3ds sales. Nintendo has completely gone against the grain with the switch. Which is incredible. I expect Sony to push a handheld again but in combination with their new streaming platform.

I'm sorry but if valve can launch a portable, no excuse for ms or Sony. Here's hoping something happens soon, Nintendo is annoying when they have no competition, they sit back and bleed as much as possible while not updating hardware to what it should be.
The day after Sony or ms announce a portable all of the sudden the switch pro will magically appear.

BEAST!!!!!!

The thread on here on predictions on how the switch will sell should be stickied for eternity as a reminder for people to understand that what forums like this think are usually very wrong.
Most people predict market behavior based on their own personal views. Of course most of them are wrong, this is an enthusiastic forum.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I thought it was already near 130-140M sold. I honestly not sure if it'll pass PS2 going forward as Nintendo really needs to release a new console as it's too weak for ambitious projects. Something around Steam Deck power would be great and would sell like crazy.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The flipping oled Is out of stock in the uk now, even that thing is in constraint.

it will outsell the ps2 imol as long as they keep making it and not cut production short. Which I can completely see happening due to chip shortages. If they need to make a new product.

we are in different times now and we can’t just imagine that these things will have 9 year life cycles. Look at the PS4 it was killed off way earlier than normal.

ParaSeoul

Nintendo is the “founding father” of gaming. They paved the way for what we have now and decades later continues to execute and deliver one a kind experiences to the market.

They deserve their continued success and flowers.

- An old man whose first console was a NES
Some of you can't be real

Nezzeroth

The Switch is undeniably popular, but that's a weird way to measure success. As the platform is supported on the second half of its lifetime, that average number will fall like with any other console.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Look, the figures are incredibly impressive, especially considering the shortages that the Switch suffered through it's life, but this kind of statistical manipulation is just misleading.

You're comparing a console that is still in it's lifecycle with consoles that have gone through a full lifecycle. Sales tend to taper off in the final years of a console's life so taking an average of one console versus another console full lifecycle is going to skew towards the console that is measured without that tail-end drop-off.

Switch figures are great and considering the lack of price cuts it's doing astonishingly well and is on track to at least make top 3, but save this kind of comparison until you can compare like for like, else it's just misleading.

Mowcno

What complete garbage this post is.

First the numbers aren't even correct. Switch shipped 84.59m by March 31st 2021, so 4 years, 1 month = 84.6m

Second comparing average annual sales of a console in its first 4 years to average annual sales of a console that's been discontinued is hillarious.

Switch might be the best selling and most popular console of all time in the end but this article and thread is factually wrong and methodically wrong. Think and check before you post trash.

Top Bottom