• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling home console to reach 100 million mark

What's more, Switch's current tally of 103.5 million means the device has leapfrogged over both the PlayStation 1 and Nintendo Wii in terms of sales. The count makes the Switch Nintendo's highest-selling home console of all time. While Sony's PS4 and PS2 console families continue to hold higher sales counts, neither got to the 100 million mark as quickly as Switch, which only needed 57 months to do so (March 2017 to December 2021).

Last edited:

Raphael

I dont understand the success. Come on nintendo bring out the pro and let me learn. (i know its not happening)

Edit: actually is there any chance for a switch 2 next year? Switch would be on its 7 year by then. Crazy.

Last edited:

SNG32

See nintendo really struck gold because they literally are in a lane of there own. Which both Sony and Microsoft can’t compete on that level hardware wise. I think this is why they are trying to go the service and software route through streaming and making games available on PC and mobile to try and get a piece of that pie.

What do you mean by this?
None of the current "big gaming" companies are physically able to "regress" to the level of detail and fidelity that Nintendo is operating on, without alienating the vast majority of their playerbase, that has come to expect cutting-edge graphics and hardware in the current-generation consoles. Nintendo is able to keep being massively successful without significantly increasing their operating costs, because they have dropped out of the hardware race and focused on creating fun games first and foremost, and cinematic experiences second or third.

I dont understand the success. Come on nintendo bring out the pro and let me learn. (i know its not happening)

Edit: actually is there any chance for a switch 2 next year? Switch would be on its 7 year by then. Crazy.
I’d be surprised if there’s no switch 2 next year

The success is because it’s an Nintendo handheld and home console not named Wii U. I think a whole generation of Nintendo fans that skipped Wii U hopped on and the handheld aspect guaranteed success.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
See nintendo really struck gold because they literally are in a lane of there own. Which both Sony and Microsoft can’t compete on that level hardware wise. I think this is why they are trying to go the service and software route through streaming and making games available on PC and mobile to try and get a piece of that pie.
This has been no secret for a long time. Since Nintendo is a publicly traded company, they have to be open about their strategy. And Iwata was talking about it since the early days of the DS in 2004. It's exactly what you're describing. The "lane" that you're talking about is a blue ocean. There is no competition in it.

But people don't wanna hear about it.

Last edited:

Fbh

It also uses cartridges, therefore it must be a printer!

:p

Also nintendo is literally calling it a Switch, we shouldn't be comparing it to Playstation or Xbox, we should be comparing it to stuff like this:
7375.jpg

Are we gonna gets comments about how its "really not a console" ?
it deff not a home console for sure. It‘s a portable console.

Otherwise Laptops and Desktops are the same thing. Apprently having a HDMI out makes a home console. But a Switch Lite is also a home console apparently.

Either way, Nintendo doesn’t care. Homies are using 7 year old cell phone hardware and making BANK.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

Otherwise Laptops and Desktops are the same thing. Apprently having a HDMI out makes a home console. But a Switch Lite is also a home console apparently.

Either way, Nintendo doesn’t care. Homies are using 7 year old cell phone hardware and making BANK.

A game console is a device designed for the purpose of playing games.

Laptops and Desktops are not designed for this. Neither are mobile phones (before you go there).

The switch is also designed to be played at home. You can start trying to split hairs all you like, but if you're going down that route then the current trend of modern consoles focussing towards providing multimedia functionality puts them on much shakier ground than a home console that is designed to be played at home or on the go.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think switch is just easy to find, I’d imagine if PS5’s were available they would buy those, and the family factor, when kids get home from school they play the Nintendo with the family.

A game console is a device designed for the purpose of playing games.

Laptops and Desktops are not designed for this. Neither are mobile phones (before you go there).

The switch is also designed to be played at home. You can start trying to split hairs all you like, but if you're going down that route then the current trend of modern consoles focussing towards providing multimedia functionality puts them on much shakier ground than a home console that is designed to be played at home or on the go.
Im convinced, Switch Lite isnt a portable console. Home console it is.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Im convinced, Switch Lite isnt a portable console. Home console it is.

You're the one trying to add qualifiers to exclude a dedicated gaming device from the definition of a games console and the associated market impact it has. You're welcome to do that, but it'd be just as rational to split out console sales by region locking based on the fact that a console from europe can't play many of the games it's North American counterpart can. Both are irrational nonesense but you're cherry picking your definitions and groupings in order to pander to your preferred worldview and emotional investment.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Are you the worse GAF user for predictions or something? Are you fishing for a tag?
It already happened to the last Nintendo console that hit 100 million. Only so many people are willing to buy Nintendo consoles. That's my opinion it's not a prediction.

Ryu Kaiba

It's definitely a handheld with a TV out but that's neither here nor there. I had to argue for the Switch when many were only basing its success on the Wii U. Glad to see it where it is today.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
Are you the worse GAF user for predictions or something? Are you fishing for a tag?
Ill double dip for it. All these consoles might have a year left of “we’ll buy whatever you can make”. Sony might be the only one whose consoles dont stay on shelves because they wont be making enough consoles regardless.

SNG32

It already happened to the last Nintendo console that hit 100 million. Only so many people are willing to buy Nintendo consoles. That's my opinion it's not a prediction.
As long as Nintendo puts out exclusives they can really extend the gen to as long as it wants to. It’s a portable and console nobody is expecting it to be powerful. If the games are pretty enough and interesting to the public it will continue to sell. If people want to go nextgen for graphics there’s options with pc and consoles for that. When it’s all said and done I wouldn’t be surprised if the switch surpassed the PS2 since it’s the only piece of hardware that’s doing well in every part of the world in terms of gaming.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned

The Switch Lite is a handheld console. The Switch and the Switch OLED are both home consoles, not because of the HDMI, but because they are designed to be a part of the dock.

I don't understand the desktop/laptop comparison.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Really fun console with some of the best Wii U games available. Really enjoyed my time with it every few months that I turn it on. LOVE Luigi's Mansion 3 and BotW.

TheGrat1

You're the one trying to add qualifiers to exclude a dedicated gaming device from the definition of a games console and the associated market impact it has.
The OP is the one that put "home console" in the title. The Switch Lite is not a home console, it is a dedicated handheld with the only differences between it and it's brothers being it's physical configuration. However, that simply gets ignored in these debates.
You're welcome to do that, but it'd be just as rational to split out console sales by region locking based on the fact that a console from europe can't play many of the games it's North American counterpart can.
This is an artificial limitation put in place either by publishers/manufacturers or governments and their broadcast standards. The PS3 was region-free. Every other console could be, too, if they so desired. Also, sales are tracked by region so.....

Top Bottom