• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling home console to reach 100 million mark

Deerock71

I was gonna reply, but why reply to this, but why? ^
Nothing No GIF by Fantastic3dcreation

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
What a reduculous thread, it's not a regular console, half of the 70 million probably never get hooked to a tv, the other 30 million are switch lites - a portable gaming machine, not a console.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Which happened because HD became a common thing, and PS3 and 360 were more viable if not quite mass market.

Not quite a concern with the Switch.
The graphics of next gen will soon come and leave Switch in the dust in the same way HD left Wii in the dust and Wii sales fell off a cliff.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What a reduculous thread, it's not a regular console, half of the 70 million probably never get hooked to a tv, the other 30 million are switch lites - a portable gaming machine, not a console.
You want to call it portable or hybrid, it doesn't matter the fact is Switch is Nintendo's main system same way PS5 is Sony's main system.

I feel like people desperately trying to make bunch of excuses why Switch selling well in order make themselves feel better.

Is it such bad thing for Switch systems selling well?

Last edited:
You want to call it portable or hybrid, it doesn't matter the fact is Switch is Nintendo's main system same way PS5 is Sony's main system.

I feel like people desperately trying to make bunch of excuses why Switch selling well in order make themselves feel better.

No it's not. I for one am extremely happy with it. Especially the first party and third party support

IFireflyl

Gold Member

It's not bad that it sells well, but people want to clarify why it's selling so well because fanboys are so freaking annoying. Nintendo has no competition. The only other handhelds are PC handhelds that are far more expensive. That could change with the Steam Deck (or maybe not - who knows). In comparison, the only other main console makers are Sony and Microsoft who are in direct competition with each other and in an entirely different section of the market (e.g. non-handhelds).

It's easy to sell a ton when you have a good product and no competition, but it's much more impressive to have amazing sales figures when there is competition.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It's not bad that it sells well, but people want to clarify why it's selling so well because fanboys are so freaking annoying. Nintendo has no competition. The only other handhelds are PC handhelds that are far more expensive. That could change with the Steam Deck (or maybe not - who knows). In comparison, the only other main console makers are Sony and Microsoft who are in direct competition with each other and in an entirely different section of the market (e.g. non-handhelds).

It's easy to sell a ton when you have a good product and no competition, but it's much more impressive to have amazing sales figures when there is competition.
Exactly.

That's why when SteamDeck comes out I expect Switch sales to start to flounder. It's another one of my reasons.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Exactly.

That's why when SteamDeck comes out I expect Switch sales to start to flounder. It's another one of my reasons.

I think "flounder" might be too strong of a word. The Switch is far more well known than the Steam Deck, and the Steam Deck is going to be extremely hard to get for the first year. But I will be interested in seeing what impact the Steam Deck does have, if any.

This is silly. The Wii was a home console and sold well over the PS3 and the XB360. The competition hasn't changed their modus operandi since then.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I think "flounder" might be too strong of a word. The Switch is far more well known than the Steam Deck, and the Steam Deck is going to be extremely hard to get for the first year. But I will be interested in seeing what impact the Steam Deck does have, if any.
The value proposition is really going to make Switch look bad in comparison and consumers will see.

Once they realise they have access to all of the AAA games on the market and way better graphics with only a little added cost Switch will be left in the dust.

daveonezero

Banned
Exactly.

Not the same target audience. Steam Deck is a tinker device.

The value proposition is really going to make Switch look bad in comparison and consumers will see.

Once they realise they have access to all of the AAA games on the market and way better graphics with only a little added cost Switch will be left in the dust.
Sure. It isn't as plug in and play.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Their hybrid approach has definitely found itself a market. I'll be curious how much of a jump the New Super Nintendo Switch LL - or whatever they actually call the next console - is hardware wise. With devices like the Steam Deck vying for a piece of this pie, it'll be interesting to see if they can do it again.

Danjin44

So this whats all about isn't it? So this whole dislike towards Switch selling well is about graphics!?
jon-stewart-oh-for-fucks-sake.gif

I never seen any other fourms be this obsess about graphics than GAF.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
This is silly. The Wii was a home console and sold well over the PS3 and the XB360. The competition hasn't changed their modus operandi since then.

Your comment has nothing to do with the topic at hand. We're not talking about the Wii at all. It wasn't a handheld. I shouldn't have had to say that.

The Switch has first-party titles that will draw plenty of people in. I'm going to disagree with you on this point, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong. :messenger_beaming:

Arthimura

To be honest, Nintendo used to compete in the home console and handheld fronts.

This generation they decided to go hybrid, so we should compare with the sum of home consoles + handhelds from last generations. Nintendo DS alone sold 155m units and Wii around 100m units, so Nintendo Switch should sell around 255m units to surpass the sucess of that generation. Might not be totally fair because Wii + DS was above all expectations, but even the 3DS sold around 75m units, so 100m units it's not impressive considering all the installed base from previous generations.

Kataploom

Gold Member
To be honest, Nintendo used to compete in the home console and handheld fronts.

This generation they decided to go hybrid, so we should compare with the sum of home consoles + handhelds from last generations. Nintendo DS alone sold 155m units and Wii around 100m units, so Nintendo Switch should sell around 255m units to surpass the sucess of that generation. Might not be totally fair because Wii + DS was above all expectations, but even the 3DS sold around 75m units, so 100m units it's not impressive considering all the installed base from previous generations.
Invalid argument because back in the time people had to buy two devices to have access to the full extend of Nintendo catalog, this time those that would have bought both consoles have to only buy one since all the catalog is in a single place

TLZ

Banned
A game console is a device designed for the purpose of playing games.

Laptops and Desktops are not designed for this. Neither are mobile phones (before you go there).

The switch is also designed to be played at home. You can start trying to split hairs all you like, but if you're going down that route then the current trend of modern consoles focussing towards providing multimedia functionality puts them on much shakier ground than a home console that is designed to be played at home or on the go.
A game console is not the same as a home console. I can play my 3DS at home. That doesn't make it a home console. If a portable has a tv out, that does not make it a home console. Yes it can be played as one, but it is not one.

Also, is the PSP a home console? If I stick a usbc to HDMI to my phone and play games on tv, did it turn into a home console? Of course not. And it doesn't have to be one.

And honestly I don't understand why many of you get offended by this. It's a Nintendo portable with a tv out and selling gangbusters. So what? That's all you should care about if you're a Nintendo fan. It's doing great. In fact, I wish my DS and 3DS had a tv out. So many good games on them I'd rather play on tv.

Robb

Gold Member
Absolutely amazing turnaround for Nintendo after the WiiU!

It’s also kind of crazy that it is more successful than the Wii, because with the Wii you could definitely tell it was a worldwide phenomenon. Switch feels a bit more anonymous to me.

All this without a price drop.. They still have a lot of cards to play and 2022 is looking like one of the best years ever in terms of software for the system. I don’t see it slowing down.

To The Moon Trading GIF by CAPEX.com

giphy.gif

I'm starting to wonder if the regular Switch and OLED will eventually pass the PS2 without even counting the Lite which only accounts for about 18M sales vs 82M for the hybrid versions. I mean the thing just rocketed past 100M without even a small price drop and they have some massive games releasing on it on top of it's forever-green library of games already available (also still mostly sold at full price). Then there are the games they haven't even announced yet that could drop anytime in the next couple years.

THE DUCK

I have no issue with it selling well, but lets be real, the real reason it has had such massive success is it's the only portable (or portable hybrid) on the market. Lets not act like its some sort of amazing piece of hardware or that Nintendo's lineup of AAA games was the reason it has sold this many.
It's about 30% of the reason, the remaining 70% was due to lack of choice. And I'm a switch owner that enjoys Nintendo games. If they had any competition in the space, things would be completely different.

Last edited:

Foilz

Banned
Nintendo doesn't need cutting edge graphics hardware. The switch produces great visuals. There's apsolutely no need for a pro model. Fragmenting the platform would be bad.i would be fine with a model that corrects the issues or lack of features but keep the core hardware the same

I will never understand how anyone can say the switch does have any games. There's tons of amazing games on the eShop. The switches main problem is the eShop ui. If Nintendo could hire someone to build them a better UI that would fix probably the consoles biggest issue

Danjin44

I have no issue with it selling well, but lets be real, the real reason it has had such massive success is it's the only portable (or portable hybrid) on the market. Lets not act like its some sort of amazing piece of hardware or that Nintendo's lineup of AAA games was the reason it has sold this many.
It's about 30% of the reason, the remaining 70% was due to lack of choice. And I'm a switch owner that enjoys Nintendo games. If they had any competition in the space, things would be completely different.
I own both PS4/5 and Switch and I can tell you I play more games on my Switch than Playstation 5 and honestly these days I enjoy first party Nintendo games more Playstation first party ever since Sony decided to focus on western cinematic games for their first party and completely lost first party Japanese games.

Zannegan

You cannot honestly believe this. This take is worse than your Pokemon sales thread.

The market at large will not notice or care about the Steam Deck for the next couple of years, and even if it somehow miraculously did, Valve isn't producing enough to satisfy its niche audience yet let alone to start making waves in the mainstream. Steam Deck will have practically zero impact on Switch sales in the next two years, I say that as someone who has had a Steam Deck preordered since day 1.

THE DUCK

I own both PS4/5 and Switch and I can tell you I play more games on my Switch than Playstation 5 and honestly these days I enjoy first party Nintendo games more Playstation first party ever since Sony decided to focus on western cinematic games for their first party and completely lost first party Japanese games.

Yes, there is a bunch of hardcore gamers here that love switch, and play it a lot. But the general public, looking for a portable game system goes to a store. They know the brands - all 3 of them well. The choice at the store for a portable? It's a switch. Or a Switch? Or maybe a switch?
This has happened millions of times over the past 5 years and continues to happen every day. If there was a Playstation portable and an Xbox portable on that same shelf Nintendo would have lost a huge portion of those buyers, it's hard to deny.

Last edited:
None of the current "big gaming" companies are physically able to "regress" to the level of detail and fidelity that Nintendo is operating on, without alienating the vast majority of their playerbase, that has come to expect cutting-edge graphics and hardware in the current-generation consoles. Nintendo is able to keep being massively successful without significantly increasing their operating costs, because they have dropped out of the hardware race and focused on creating fun games first and foremost, and cinematic experiences second or third.
It’s all about the games

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
You cannot honestly believe this. This take is worse than your Pokemon sales thread.

The market at large will not notice or care about the Steam Deck for the next couple of years, and even if it somehow miraculously did, Valve isn't producing enough to satisfy its niche audience yet let alone to start making waves in the mainstream. Steam Deck will have practically zero impact on Switch sales in the next two years, I say that as someone who has had a Steam Deck preordered since day 1.
The demand for SteamDeck was through the roof it sold out in minutes. People are foolish to underestimate it.

I was going to post some pro-Nintendo comment, but I feel like I'll be mocked and ridiculed for liking some sort of subpar piece of garbage.

It seems like anyone who doesn't like Nintendo just doesn't grasp a simple fact: it's all about the games. Graphics, once you reach HD, do NOT matter to the VAST majority of Nintendo hardware consumers. The Steam Deck is cool and all, but that is going after a completely different demographic than "people who have or want a Switch".

The argument that the Switch isn't a home console is ludicrous. Switch Lite? Sure. But the actual Switch? I play the Switch just like I played my Wii U and Wii and PS3: on a 50" TV or a 108" projection screen. It's a home console if it was designed to do that. And hey, it's ALSO a portable console. In fact, you can SWITCH from one to the other!

I guess I just don't understand many of the posts in this thread since they're mostly irrelevant to the original topic: the Switch is selling really well.

The demand for SteamDeck was through the roof it sold out in minutes. People are foolish to underestimate it.
Technically it wasn't "sold out", since there were none to sell in the first place, and no limits were established. Though overwhelming the servers with $5 preorder claims that didn't even require any downloads, and instantly pushing the "expected delivery" dates beyond the manufacturer's ability to estimate them probably counts.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
The OP is the one that put "home console" in the title. The Switch Lite is not a home console, it is a dedicated handheld with the only differences between it and it's brothers being it's physical configuration. However, that simply gets ignored in these debates.

This is an artificial limitation put in place either by publishers/manufacturers or governments and their broadcast standards. The PS3 was region-free. Every other console could be, too, if they so desired. Also, sales are tracked by region so.....

You're the one here trying to split hairs as a means of discounting the Switch's success in comparison to the other consoles on the market. Attempting to discount console sales based on *home* criteria is ridiculous because you're trying to re-define what a game console is based upon some entirely self-defined definition of what makes a console "count".

A game console is simply an electronic device who's primary function is to play videogames. Start splitting hairs and you're as easily remove the other consoles from the category as you would discount those you want to disqualify to protect the sales record of your preferred toy.

Try it. Define a *home* console.

THE DUCK

I was going to post some pro-Nintendo comment, but I feel like I'll be mocked and ridiculed for liking some sort of subpar piece of garbage.

It seems like anyone who doesn't like Nintendo just doesn't grasp a simple fact: it's all about the games. Graphics, once you reach HD, do NOT matter to the VAST majority of Nintendo hardware consumers. The Steam Deck is cool and all, but that is going after a completely different demographic than "people who have or want a Switch".

The argument that the Switch isn't a home console is ludicrous. Switch Lite? Sure. But the actual Switch? I play the Switch just like I played my Wii U and Wii and PS3: on a 50" TV or a 108" projection screen. It's a home console if it was designed to do that. And hey, it's ALSO a portable console. In fact, you can SWITCH from one to the other!

I guess I just don't understand many of the posts in this thread since they're mostly irrelevant to the original topic: the Switch is selling really well.

Partly because it is an ancient overpriced old peice of hardware at this point.

Graphics do matter to Nintendo customers, thier just given no alternative if they want to play Nintendo games. Are you going to sit there with a straight face and say you wouldn't rather play botw2 with ps5 graphics? Of course you would - but you have zero options.

The argument thst switch is a home console that sold 100 million units is the ludicrous. First of all, probably a third of that number is switch lite. Then another third is switches that haven't seen a single day hooked to a tv.
That would leave you with 35-40 million "consoles" that probably still see half thier life as a portable. So in the end, saying a 100 million consoles have been sold is hogwash.
100 million portables, sure.

Graphics do matter to Nintendo customers, thier just given no alternative if they want to play Nintendo games. Are you going to sit there with a straight face and say you wouldn't rather play botw2 with ps5 graphics? Of course you would - but you have zero options.
Which I actually consider to be a good thing. Games don't need PS5 graphics. The more the graphics race to infinity is obstructed, be it by chip shortages or delightfully old-fashioned Japanese corporations, the longer we will be able to still appreciate games for what they really should be - fun experiences, rather than cinematic epics.

Eventually Switch will outsell the PS2 and Nintendo fans can have peace.

youtube the evil is defeated GIF

Sony doesn't deserve that throne anymore

first, there's never any sold out, I remember I could order a couple of days after the pre-order began. Second, it's scalper bots that overwhelmed the server initially.

Steam deck will face the same issues as PS5 and XBS, chip shortage, supply chain issue, and scalpers

Top Bottom