• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Is Sold Out Everywhere, Drastically Increasing Prices

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Via Gamespot

With supply chains globally reacting to the rapid spread of COVID-19, stock shortages of numerous goods are expected. If you're been tempted by the recent release of Animal Crossing: New Horizons and planned on picking up a new Nintendo Switch, you might be out of luck already, as stock has become almost impossible to find.
That is if you're looking to buy the original Nintendo Switch at its official, $300 retail price. It's difficult to find stock across the usual channels, including Amazon, Best Buy, and Ebay. The Nintendo Switch Lite, which retails for $200, isn't as scarce across all retailers, but is sold out on Amazon. Nintendo of America knows supply is short, and hopes to renew stock in the near future.
"Nintendo Switch hardware is selling out at various retail locations in the U.S., but more systems are on the way," Nintendo explained in a statement to GameSpot. "We apologize for any inconvenience."

The article goes on to point out that base models are selling for over $400.00 and Lites are selling at nearly $300.00 in some cases.

Sucks that people who want one can't get one. Definitely goes to show there's thirst for the system when people have time on their hands, though. 🤷‍♀️

( Threeshotgamer Threeshotgamer must've bought them all up for his family to play AC New Horizons...)

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
"almost impossible to find"

Checked normal version from few retailers, one had +100 available (they just show +100 if there is more than 100)

another had em too.

Well, switch never sold out in my country, not even on launch so I guess it is expected that this doesnt mean that whole world is buying them at the moment

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I was just reading this. The Switch been selling like crazy if the covid-19 is the reason for shortage

Also fuck that:
If you're absolutely in need of a Switch right now, there are still numerous ways to get one through third-party sellers. As expected though, you will be paying a premium. Right now, the cheapest Nintendo Switch model on Amazon will cost you $439, or $230 for a Switch Lite. Those both have weeks to wait until shipping, with ones available to ship right now retailing for an eye-watering $480 and $299 respectively.
Threeshotgamer Threeshotgamer must've bought them all up for his family to play AC New Horizons...)
I came to post this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ring Fit Adventure also hasn't been in stock for over a month.
Yeah if I'm not mistaken this one has been in high demand since it launched. I regularly see comments on GAF about RingFit being difficult to acquire.

Glad I got mine at launch, wimps.

teBOVZj.gif

Joking aside, I'm thrilled it is selling so well. Amazing title. I am hopeful Nintendo does a second one and/or releases at least 1 or 2 other games for the ring accessory.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yeah if I'm not mistaken this one has been in high demand since it launched. I regularly see comments on GAF about RingFit being difficult to acquire.

teBOVZj.gif

Joking aside, I'm thrilled it is selling so well. Amazing title. I am hopeful Nintendo does a second one and/or releases at least 1 or 2 other games for the ring accessory.

It was out of stock for a bit of time during the holidays, but it's been nonstop, they just don't exist anywhere. I got mine for Christmas.

It's too bad because it's a good workout.

Edit: I actually was able to purchase a Switch (as a gift) last week, I guess it was in stock for an hour or two.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Man can you imagine what sales would of been like if Corona happened when the Wii was still alive!. Wii Fit would probably of gone on to be the biggest selling game ever lol.

Via Gamespot

With supply chains globally reacting to the rapid spread of COVID-19, stock shortages of numerous goods are expected. If you're been tempted by the recent release of Animal Crossing: New Horizons and planned on picking up a new Nintendo Switch, you might be out of luck already, as stock has become almost impossible to find.
That is if you're looking to buy the original Nintendo Switch at its official, $300 retail price. It's difficult to find stock across the usual channels, including Amazon, Best Buy, and Ebay. The Nintendo Switch Lite, which retails for $200, isn't as scarce across all retailers, but is sold out on Amazon. Nintendo of America knows supply is short, and hopes to renew stock in the near future.
"Nintendo Switch hardware is selling out at various retail locations in the U.S., but more systems are on the way," Nintendo explained in a statement to GameSpot. "We apologize for any inconvenience."

The article goes on to point out that base models are selling for over $400.00 and Lites are selling at nearly $300.00 in some cases.

Sucks that people who want one can't get one. Definitely goes to show there's thirst for the system when people have time on their hands, though. 🤷‍♀️

( Threeshotgamer Threeshotgamer must've bought them all up for his family to play AC New Horizons...)
Don't be judging me. Having 5 switches in my house is completely reasonable.

Saber

Gold Member
Is U.S everywhere now? Also Switch shows no sign of life in my country.

Still interesting that people are picking consoles themselves for enjoyment. Great news for Nintendo.

Codes 208

My store is out and we keep getting calls. We got two in this morning but they went out as quickly as they came.

animal crossing as well. Since its launched my store has sold 39 copies

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Retailers trying to cash in on a disaster when they still get it for the same price from Nintendo. Same things for stores selling Oculus Rift S for crazy prices when, if you get lucky and catch it in-stock directly from Oculus/Facebook it's the same price as always. Fuckers. Just buy after it blows over.

It's different when this is due to shortages/increased costs of certain components leading to an increase in the manufacturing cost and therefor a higher final price for the profit margin to remain as it has happened for some components in the past but this hasn't hit current stock for these afaik.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Major success story would be underrated, talk about a winning formula.
In the past weeks and months I've seen Hatsune Miku VR outselling in Japan, Animal Crossing, Switch xx times and who knows what else.

If you are military or former military the red/blue Switch is in stock right now at shopmyexchange.com No tax + free shipping.

Hurry the hell up it'll sell out.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Just bought me a DSi XL for $20. Anyone know some good jrpgs? I was planning on Switch Lite but stores are sold out.

If you can find them, Dragon Quest 4,5,6,9
Radiant Historia
Nostalgia (though it's a pretty meat and potatoes jrpg)
Etrian Odyssey (basically Wizardry clones with the bottom screen used to map the levels)
Luminous Arc/2
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Pokemon (any of them)
Chrono Trigger (though you probably already have it on any other platform)

Off the top of my head. There's scores of others.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Just bought me a DSi XL for $20. Anyone know some good jrpgs? I was planning on Switch Lite but stores are sold out.

Pokemon Black/white, Dragon Quest Monster Joker, Glory of Heracles(is not that good, but its not bad either)...those are that come in my mind.
But if need other DS games aside from RPG I can give you another list.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Enjoy it bro! Despite being a long time Nintenchad shitposter, I only got mine last year and it reignited a lot of my passion for gaming that's been quiet since that great first half of 2017. It's an absolutely awesome console.

I love it! I've put over 140hrs into Zelda! Clearly the game of the generation! No game can match it's physics that I've seen yet.

Pokemon Black/white, Dragon Quest Monster Joker, Glory of Heracles(is not that good, but its not bad either)...those are that come in my mind.
But if need other DS games aside from RPG I can give you another list.
Thank You! Why yes please list me your favorite ds games!

Saber

Gold Member
Thank You! Why yes please list me your favorite ds games!

Yu gi oh Championship 2010 - if youre a fan of Yugioh card game, this game totally rocks. Awesome soundtrack and the animation gives an exciting "action" feeling between activation of cards.

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Eclesia - fantastics vania games. One of bests imo.

Resident Evil DS - For a port, this one plays pretty nice. For starters, they make use of the second screen to show you a map(For me it work wonders!). Also, you can use a knife without equiping. In fact, theres no knife! You can simply hold L and the characters draws the knife. A slot saver. Can't say much about the "rebirth mode". Its not what I would call worth.

I could recommend Mario 64 DS as well, but the problem is that the game is not made for the DS d-pad. Which means you will find trouple during plataforming. Overall is pretty solid(plus new stages and characters), but the DS controls ruin it.

Dragon Quest Monster Joker 2 - this one is pretty good and a lot more advanced than the first one. But I still prefer DQMJ1 over this one. Still a pretty solid game to play. Might as well note it has some damn pretty graphics for a DS game.

Last edited:
Video gaming industry is going to do serious money during the Coronapocalypse. Problem will be there won't be many new games and even a next gen delay perhaps.

Regardless looks like Nintendo is up there with Charmin and Huggies right now.

Ecto311

I still see tons of them at walmart and targets in my area here in southern colorado. Granted we just got stuck on a forced stay home today so who knows it might spike sales.

teBOVZj.gif

Fired up ring fit yesterday for the second time since picking it up last month. Got a great workout, I can see why it’s flying off the shelves.

AGRacing

Gold Member
OP I want to thank you.

Wife was laid off work. We’re not in trouble or anything but every little bit helps and I felt OK selling my V2 switch for retail price to someone who could afford to take it. It was in perfect condition with all packaging and a screen protector.

The longer I can keep my savings in my bank account and take advantage of situations like this to buy groceries the better I feel. I wouldn’t have thought of this if it wasn’t for your post.

Take care.

Top Bottom