• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is entering “the middle of its life cycle” as it approaches its fourth year, company president Shuntaro Furukawa has said.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to investors in a newly-published Japanese Q&A, Furukawa said he was taking a long-term view in his plans for Switch, which Nintendo will continue to support with a dual-strategy of both releasing new software and supporting existing releases.

“The most important thing [for us] is whether we can maintain the momentum of Nintendo Switch,” he said, adding that pushing the portable-only Switch Lite to expand the audience was of particular importance.

“In terms of software, in addition to continuously introducing new software, we believe that it will be very important to continue our efforts to sell titles that we have released so far,” he added.

“We believe that the Nintendo Switch business is now in its fourth year and is just in the middle of its life cycle. Rather than just the next year, I think about things in terms of what to do the following year and the year after that.”

In the same Q&A, Furukawa said Nintendo isn’t concerned about the upcoming launches of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X as it doesn’t believe the new consoles will significantly impact its business.

“We will explain the specific figures for the next fiscal year in our next fiscal year announcement, but I think there will certainly be a change in the environment as new products of our competitors appear,” Furukawa said.

However, the president added that because he believes the target audiences of Nintendo Switch and its competitors will be different, new consoles will not have a significant impact on Nintendo’s business.

In its latest earning results, Nintendo said Switch had sold 52.48 million units as of December 31, 2019, up 10.81 million units since its second quarter ended September 30.

It means Switch now sits behind only NES (61.91m) and Wii (101.63m) as the company’s third best-selling home consoles to date, and in seventh place overall for games hardware.

The 52.48 million figure includes 5.19 million sales of the Nintendo Switch Lite model, which was released on September 20, 2019.

In its earnings meeting on Friday, the company said it felt it could better communicate the Lite’s unique features going forward.

“We feel that we have not yet fully communicated the special features and appeal of Nintendo Switch Lite, so we will continue to address this going forward,” it said.

GV82

Metroid 4 in 2024 then, next console?

If we get a Switch 2 that is and not a brand new concept for the next console.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Nintendo deserves all that success. They saw a gap in the market and went for it with the right hardware and software at the right time.
I seriously doubt that in regards to a gap. The 3DS sold incredibly well. They just so happen to be the only ones that know how to build and market a handheld. Docked play is an added bonus.

PocoJoe

Banned
Switch have been disappointment to me.

After launch year and zelda, mario+rabbids and xenoblade 2 there havent been any games that I have really liked or wanted. Nintendo IPs are just too simple, old and boring (mario, luigi, yoshi) to me.

Dunno what did I expect, days of gamecube are in the past. (when they actually had competitive hardware and big library of good games)

And while it sells, IMO it sells shitty because it should be compared to wii + 3ds instead of just home consoles, as it is more of handheld with tv-out and now even pure handheld (lite). If it doesnt hit 50% of wii+3ds then it is a failure

After launch year and zelda, mario+rabbids and xenoblade 2 there havent been any games that I have really liked or wanted. Nintendo IPs are just too simple, old and boring (mario, luigi, yoshi) to me.

Dunno what did I expect, days of gamecube are in the past. (when they actually had competitive hardware and big library of good games)

And while it sells, IMO it sells shitty because it should be compared to wii + 3ds instead of just home consoles, as it is more of handheld with tv-out and now even pure handheld (lite). If it doesnt hit 50% of wii+3ds then it is a failure

I feel the same way about the games, aside from zelda: BOTW which was great game, held back from being a master piece because of combat and shit story. the games are too simple and boring for me as well.

Sells wise though it's doing amazing when you consider that handheld gaming was in decline.

Makes sense.

I still expect to see a Switch 2 in 2022, so that would give about 2 years of legacy support to keep a hold of the budget end of things.

Would also fit the previous patterns of a 'New i Colour' pro system coming out about a year before a new system, if that hits shelves next year instead of this.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'll believe it when they actually retire the 3DS and put a Switch model in that price point slot.

2021-2023 would be the absolute worst time to launch a Switch successor since both Sony and Microsoft will be fighting over the spotlight during that time.

GeorgPrime

Banned

Its a home console with portable features. So every home console needs to be considered.

Following your argument.... The Switch shouldnt be compared to the Wii because the Wii is a home console.

Wii sold like 100.000.000 consoles at the end of its life span. Switch will beat it i guess. It already has conquered 50 % of the Wii Sales and it gets a lot of upcoming titles.

Plus the third party support of the Switch is way above the support that the Wii got.

For me: I despise handheld gaming. I cant stand it for too long. The Switch changed that for me. I can just play as a home console whenever i want.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This is the year... this is the year pikmin finally comes Home, and Metroid trilogy finally gets released...

Mario 3D world? I’m there. Metroid 4? Shigsy please, you know I’m on it.

Come on Nintendo, drop those bombs already...

small_law

I seriously doubt that in regards to a gap. The 3DS sold incredibly well. They just so happen to be the only ones that know how to build and market a handheld. Docked play is an added bonus.
Think of it this way. For a long time, the dream was to be able to take your console games with you anywhere. Not as a version syncing with a small handheld console, but the actual game running in a substantially similar way. Nintendo figured that out. Sony couldn't do it. Microsoft didn't even try. Sega tried to do it with the Nomad and went nowhere with it. Sure, these days, we have cloud and account support for any device, but Nintendo figured out the hardware solution that alluded everybody else for 30 years. It's not so much a handheld as the universal video game console. It doesn't force you to compromise between portability and power or comfort, at least not in a fundamental way.

Bear in mind that I've been playing video games for 35 years. The original game boy still blows my mind.

Zog

Banned
Nintendo figured that out. Sony couldn't do it.
Yeah, Sony couldn't figure out how to make a tablet. LOL
but Nintendo figured out the hardware solution that alluded everybody else for 30 years.
Are you serious? Making a tablet with controller support alluded everybody else?

It doesn't force you to compromise between portability and power or comfort, at least not in a fundamental way.
We see the Switch very differently. It is a compromise of both power and comfort.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
My Switch gathers dust, I LOVED Mario Odyssey, Golf Story is neat. That new Pokemon is a neat game, but otherwise I haven't spent any time with it, or turned it on often. The game library is anemic at best, I had all the great WiiU games on the WiiU (Botw, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart).

The machine really needed 3rd party support that it'll never see. Indie games are WAY more expensive on there than Steam or anywhere on PC.

Wii+3DS instead of WiiU+3DS? 🤔

Saruhashi

Banned
Yeah, Sony couldn't figure out how to make a tablet. LOL

Are you serious? Making a tablet with controller support alluded everybody else?

It's not really about making the device. It's more about marketing and actually selling the thing.

One of the things that annoyed me about Vita was the constant comparisons between Vita and PS3 graphics. As if the Vita could ever hope to compete there. This was near constant at the time of release and I would guess that what most people would have wanted from Vita was "PS3 but portable".

Sony end up competing with themselves basically. Why own a PS Vita and a PS3 when 9 times out of 10 you are going to want to play the PS3?
Any portable system needs to have the games or it's going to flop.

The Switch manages to avoid this based on the exclusive games.
You can bang on about graphics or power or whatever you like but if people want to play Mario Kart or Zelda etc then they are going to do that.

Even if, like me, you own a PS4 and keep up with some of the big AAA releases the desire to play some classic franchises like Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda, Mario platformer #55647 is very appealing.

Meanwhile mine is collecting dust. It's a mixture of lack of interesting games, my short commute to work, bad ergonomy, expensive games, lack of nintendo support in my country.

I was even considering hacking my console. And that just because i wanted to have good snes emulation support. The amount of snes games available through nintendo online is so small and options are so limited. But it's too much of a hassle.

I'm taking my switch on my next trip and i have plans to buy a satisfye pro grip and a few games.

Thurible

So far I am enjoying my switch. Hopefully the years to come will continue to bring great games (but no Wii U ports please :( )

cireza

Banned
I would have hoped to see more cool first/second party games since launch. Too many remakes, and third party output is irrelevant since I play on Xbox as well and everything is multiplat. Even Zelda BotW, I played it on Wii U.

Waiting for some good, ambitious exclusives.

Might be on okay console for someone who did not have WIi U and plays only on Switch though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would have hoped to see more cool first/second party games since launch. Too many remakes, and third party output is irrelevant since I play on Xbox as well and everything is multiplat. Even Zelda BotW, I played it on Wii U.

Waiting for some good, ambitious exclusives.

Might be on okay console for someone who did not have WIi U and plays only on Switch though.
But in 2019 we got bunch of them, like Astral Chain, Fire Emblem Three Houses and Luigi's Mansion 3 that are not available any other system and not port from WiiU. Too many people just dismiss bunch of games to say "Switch lack games".

Yagami_Sama

That's a interesting statement. And I really curious to see, what are their plan, for the future, because PS5 and the new X-box are just around the corner.
I mean, how huge will be the gap between the Switch and the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft, and how that will affect third party output for the Switch.

And how Nintendo will approach the Switch successor.

This year, and next one will be interesting to see.

Reon

Outside of Smash I think I've only played like 50 hours of my Switch and I've had it since launch. Sucks, I want to like it but it doesn't offer anything that I want and can't already get somewhere else. On the other hand I put thousands of hours into my 3DS library, 3DS seemed to have so many high quality games it was impossible to keep up.

Also the lack of Bluetooth support for sound is atrocious in a device this new. I only carry bluetooth headphones when I go out, I'm not carrying two different headphones one being just for the Switch.

If some of the past rumors are true, it might become a very exciting year. Metroid Prime Trilogy, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past remake, and maybe even a Super Metroid remake are possibilities hinted at.

Hopefully we'll see something of Shin Megami Tensei V. Xenoblade Chronicles - Definitive Edition will be a huge deal as well. I regard the latter as the best JRPG of the past decade, at the very least.

lo zaffo

When Nintendo officially says no revised hardware, it always happens that a revised hardware go announced so soon. You already know It.

Vawn

Banned

This is a tired and ignorant argument. Nintendo, and only Nintendo, should only half of their units sold.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
pretty dope, this feels like a full console gen, will many great games. already i have gotten plenty of years worth of wonderful games. they can always change their mind and come out with something, but i am looking forward to more and better games.

BOTW was one of the earliest games to come out on this, can you imagine the amazing stuff they will do in the next couple of years? what will BOTW2 look like? maybe we will get BOTW3 on Switch as well? late gen games are often the peak. Witcher 3 runs, incredibly, imagine how something built from the ground up could look? really looking forward to late gen Switch games. i am so glad i bought a Switch back when I did. Nintendo has been knocking it out of the park.

Last edited:

Thurible

Was there a time limit or can you still play it on the Wii U?
You can still play it on wii u. The only thing you can't still do (I think?) Is use the secret files you find (you can still find them and make the codes) to watch the little videos of Olimar and Louie nintendo made on their website

Meesh

I'm personally very happy with my Switch so far, most of games on the system have been absolute blast to play. I hope they keep this up.
Couldn't agree more! I honestly don't mind the Wiiu ports, don't mind the 3rd party port collection, love what exclusives they have, couldn't be happier with the quirky titles that litter the eshop and I'm coming to appreciate Nintendo onlines SNES and NES games.
And it's portable.
Aaaaaaand can still play on the TV.
Aaaaaaaaaaaand there's another Bayonetta game coming.

lachesis

I hope the metroid trilogy for switch is really true. I was contemplating getting it on my Wii U yesterday, but didn’t- because I don’t like wiimote controls in general.

I couldn’t get into various wii games like RE4 because of that. Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are also my least favorite Zelda games - that I didn’t finish original Wii TP at all... but enjoyed the HD remake on Wii U with pad controls.

Anyhow, preordered the Animal Crossing edition Switch few days ago - looking forward to play Odyssey and other games! Very much looking forward to BOTW2 as well. But with my luck, as soon as I get the console, they’ll probably announce Switch Pro.. :(

If some of the past rumors are true, it might become a very exciting year. Metroid Prime Trilogy, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past remake, and maybe even a Super Metroid remake are possibilities hinted at.

Hopefully we'll see something of Shin Megami Tensei V. Xenoblade Chronicles - Definitive Edition will be a huge deal as well. I regard the latter as the best JRPG of the past decade, at the very least.

My vote is the Witcher 3 instead!

And port all the Wii U games over with their DLCs included as well.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
But in 2019 we got bunch of them, like Astral Chain, Fire Emblem Three Houses and Luigi's Mansion 3 that are not available any other system and not port from WiiU. Too many people just dismiss bunch of games to say "Switch lack games".
Not interested in these games obviously and as third party is greatly lacking or inferior there isn't much to play.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not interested in these games obviously and as third party is greatly lacking or inferior there isn't much to play.
Then isn't that mostly on you not Nintendo, I mean Xbox has zero games for me to play it doesn't mean Xbox lacking have games. to me the best third party support are similar to Astral Chain. Mario + Rabbits, TMS#FE and upcoming Bayonetta 3, SMTV, Bravely Default 2 and No more Heroes 3, basically third party developers making exclusives games for Switch.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Then isn't that mostly on you not Nintendo, I mean Xbox has zero games for me to play it doesn't mean Xbox lacking have games. to me the best third party support are similar to Astral Chain. Mario + Rabbits, TMS#FE and upcoming Bayonetta 3, SMTV, Bravely Default 2 and No more Heroes 3, basically third party developers making exclusives games for Switch.
Most of the time these are the interesting games on Nintendo consoles but the output has been lacking in my opinion. First Party are pretty much the same games again and again, this applies to all consoles.

EDMIX

Metroid 4 in 2024 then, next console?

If we get a Switch 2 that is and not a brand new concept for the next console.

Agreed.

Just make Switch 2, more ram, better CPU/GPU etc. I want improvements, I don't want them messing with this concept. I'd argue Sony sells as many PS as they do every gen because we understand what to expect from the system and the only brand new concept they look for is the games itself. I think they can do well with Switch 2, Switch 3 etc. I personally want them doing that vs the dumb crap we saw from Wii, Wii U etc. Dear god no, they need to go back to normal and remain conservative on that. That builds healthy install bases from both customers and even developers. Could you imagine the type of support they'd get if developers ALWAYS KNEW they'd be a gen behind and with a portable? It means we no longer need to have this guessing game on support by 3rd party. We all know a Yakuza game will it PS no different then a Persona game no different then Madden Call Of Duty etc, XB and PS being very stable install bases allow them to get solid support as those developers KNOW FOR A FACT that they will make capable boxes that are not asking to reinvent the wheel causing them all sorts of issues.

Nintendo can get that if they just continue the Switch route. This should be 1 of many, not simply a rare thing and then they move to making dumb moves. Some things don't need to be messed with. If you look at both MS and Sony, neither are doing dumb crap to their systems to have Call Of Duty, Madden, Battlefield, Resident Evil etc be like "OH, guess they are being dumb this gen, better skip Playstation" or "Better skip XB this gen" etc. That just never really happens with either XB or PS. If Nintendo can get that same consistency within their own setup, they can be ok, but they need to continue what they have with Switch series (we doing this) so gamers and developers alike know at the very least......they can expect it to be 1 gen behind the rest and a portable that outs to the TV.

JUST do that and have anything else optional and build on that and gamers and developers will have a solid base to trust where they are going.

Top Bottom