• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is a shitty handheld

How do you play Switch

• Handheld only

Votes: 32 11.8%
  • Handheld mostly

Votes: 53 19.5%
  • 50/50

Votes: 59 21.7%
  • Plugged mostly

Votes: 63 23.2%
  • Plugged only

Votes: 35 12.9%
  • I prefer GBA

Votes: 30 11.0%

• Total voters
you don't even tackle the worst aspect: tiny screen is not well suited either for big TV games or even indies made for TV. I was having a real hard time just trying to see my character in Hollow Knight - he really looks like a small bug, I'll grant that. Zelda was not great either, Odyssey was passable.

real portable games had characters big relative to screen size, like all past GB and DS games. Switch is just really an desktop console sold as a portable not to need to go against the big boys in the field...

GymWolf

I only played attached to a tv with a third party joypad, the joycons are a complete joke and i hate playing at 2006 resolutions.

Last edited:

RPS37

I just bought a pro controller because I want to play Mario 3D All Stars and I don’t want to deal with shitty joy-cons.

HE1NZ

Banned
you don't even tackle the worst aspect: tiny screen is not well suited either for big TV games or even indies made for TV. I was having a real hard time just trying to see my character in Hollow Knight - he really looks like a small bug, I'll grant that. Zelda was not great either, Odyssey was passable.

real portable games had characters big relative to screen size, like all past GB and DS games. Switch is just really an desktop console sold as a portable not to need to go against the big boys in the field...
This and also it's super thick, so it reflects everything. Can barely use it during the day. Compare it to Vita or 3DS that don't reflect at all.

buizel

Banned
Anyone want to sell me theres? I will pay upto £150, thanks.

Its the multiplayer NES/SNES online that attracts me, even though I have Retroarch on a jillion devices.

Though im expecting garbage Nintendo OS & network backend:

iu

yurqqa

Tiny buttons on the joycons suck, especially shoulder buttons. Right thumbstick being below face buttons doesn't work. Trying to aim with a thumbstick and shoot with shoulder buttons is too much gymnastics. It's tiresome. Same thumbstick is gets in a way of pressing B too. And left thumbstick covers the "-" button. I hate these controls. Might as well just use a phone for portable gaming.

Could you please show the photo of your hands. They sound interesting.

cireza

Main problem is the button placement. So, so bad. You mustn't align vertically your buttons and sticks like they did. That's not the movement of my thumb, it needs to be a diagonal. Like the Vita, for example...

You also get the yellow screen lottery, as always.

Otherwise, the Lite is not so bad.

Good thing there's the Hori Split Pad Pro

I've sung the praises of this thing on here before. If you've got man hands, it is a game changer for portable mode. No rumble and no independent batteries is kinda a bummer, but i gladly trade those for the regular sized controls.

Last edited:

Ladioss

I play 50/50 but honestly, I hate how the joycons attach to the main unit - it feels feeble.

And the Switch would be a much better handheld console with a new Ace Attorney game, too.

Chastten

Banned
I'm guessing it's probably about 50/50 for me.

I can understand you're criticism somewhat though. Some fastpaced games I prefer in docked mode as it can get uncomfortable after long sessions. I just finished Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles last night and I played that exclusively in handheld mode for about 25 hours, which worked perfectly fine.

Great handheld for RPG's, platformers, and generally Nintendo's own games. Not so much for certain shooters and other genres.

jaysius

Banned
Handheld is the reason there are no analog triggers on the system, that's fucked it harder than we can ever really see. I'm sure any perspective AAA wouldn't put a game on there without it. When Ubi put that one dirt bike on there, the compromised controls to make up for analog was hilarious.

It's pretty much shit all around. Lackluster library, shitty joycon design plus drifting issue, and a horrible online infrastructure. Pretty much what Nintendo fans are used to and continue to to lap up for some reason I don't understand.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I like it. A bit bulky compared to past handhelds but feels nice, looks good, has a nice screen and it's interface is very portable gaming friendly. Good library of games for gaming on the go too. Also has the added benefit of being able to play multiplayer on the go without need for multiple systems.

Clearly had a lot of thought put into it's mobile functionality and added things that past portable systems have lacked.

supernova8

Banned
I just didn't like playing it in handheld mode. The screen resolution is just shit especially with something like Zelda. So many jaggies.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
My problem is the size of buttons and etc, but overall I like it.

I play more on TV, but not by a lot. From time to time I bring to work to do a little MK8

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I love that it has a big screen for those huge cinematic console games on the Go, and its perfectly portable to me, i just hate those damned joycons :messenger_angry:

Anyways if you don't like it there is a Lite option, but i don't get it some people see the Switch like it was this huge bulky monster but its just a small light tablet.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The Satisfye Switch grip really solved a lot of problems I had when playing in handheld mode:

011-720x540.jpg

Honestly I really want a Switch with an even bigger screen like an iPad. "Portable" for me is being able to just sit on the couch or lay in bed and play this thing.

ljubomir

The Satisfye Switch grip really solved a lot of problems I had when playing in handheld mode:

011-720x540.jpg

Honestly I really want a Switch with an even bigger screen like an iPad. "Portable" for me is being able to just sit on the couch or lay in bed and play this thing.

I have both Satisfye grip (for switch AND lite, too) and a Hori Split Pad. Satisfye is far more comfortable for me, suprisingly.

anab0lic36

This is why I got the lite, better dpad and better form factor for handheld play. Regular one stays perma docked now for multiplayer tv fun mostly

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I play it mostly docked not "plugged in". Ergonomics could be better yes, but a 10 buck skin that fixes that issue(slightly) exists.
pXPdTGu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

vdopey

Playing all these big games on a handheld should be great in theory. But in reality it's not. Switch is too damn big and heavy and poorly designed.

Tiny buttons on the joycons suck, especially shoulder buttons. Right thumbstick being below face buttons doesn't work. Trying to aim with a thumbstick and shoot with shoulder buttons is too much gymnastics. It's tiresome. Same thumbstick is gets in a way of pressing B too. And left thumbstick covers the "-" button. I hate these controls. Might as well just use a phone for portable gaming.

Also, joycons are wobbling while attached.

Handhelds should be small and tidy like GBA SP. Now that was a great handheld. Wii U gamepad was really comfortable as well.

Anyway I'm playing exclusively with a Pro Controller (it sucks too, but for different reasons), but everyone seems to be playing Switch in a handheld only. How do you enjoy that?

I love the idea of the switch - especially on planes / long distance travel (when travelling and going on holidays was actually a thing) the problem I have with it is the tiny joycons - my thumbs after 10 minutes play go to sleep - its designed for children thats my honest take of it, they are good, just not that good.

your right its probably the overall size of the thing, the wii-u controller I had no issues with vita generally I was fine with, the switch for whatever reason I just cant use it for more than half an hour before my hand goes completely numb and I am done with it. I still love the idea, the thought process, the design, the games its an awesome idea its just on execution it doesn't work for me.

Silvawuff

I was a skeptic for a good few years, and got one after the battery refresh. I think I play this the most of any console.

I had a power out a few months ago, shrugged, pulled it out of the dock and kept playing like nothing happened, no progress lost. I'll happily get a Pro if Ninty ever releases a refresh of this.

Romulus

I got rid of mine because of the how it looked on my TV. Even my ps4 pro is has been showing its age visually, but switch just looked awful to me.

I have gorilla hands and have never had issues with the Switch, especially since I can detach the joycons and prop up the screen. It's more comfortable than the 3DSXL was, and much better than any of the regular-size DS models or GBA SP were.

My only issue with the Switch is that the sticks are garbage, and the D-pad isn't a D-pad. I've been lucky and drift hasn't been a major issue for me, and I'm used to the "d-pad" now.

If they could release a full-feature joycon replacement with a quality D-pad, and revised sticks that were less prone to drift I'd have nothing left to complain about. I can play it docked at either my desk using my monitor's split mode and still use my PC at the same time, or I can play it in the living room on the TV. I take it on trips, and I can play it on breaks at work. The games Nintendo releases on it always seem to keep in mind the system is portable and I can take on small missions/accomplishments in the games if I only have a few minutes to play.

It's still not perfect, but it's pretty great overall.

Susurrus

I mostly play docked, but that's only because I don't play many portables despite owning 3DS and Vita as well. When I travel (not much recently), it does go with me, though.

Not advertising, but get this:

That grip is absolutely perfect for the switch, and fixes most of the problems you mentioned (wobbly Joycons, shoulder buttons, awkward to hold). It fits the OG Switch snuggly and comes with multiple types of grips so you can find the one that fits your hands best. The grip also goes over the shoulder buttons and acts to enlarge them a little, so they are easier to use. I also use some of their other accessories, like the AXBY button covers and the ^>V< D-Pad cover. It is perfectly comfortable to play now. The case that comes in that bundle is perfect as well.

I've been through 3-4 different combos of cases and grips to try to find the best combo, and the Skull ones are absolutely the best I've found.

Last edited:
Top Bottom