• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 rumors revived by Nvidia job listing for next-gen console developer tools engineer

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You would of thought Nvidia would be pretty invested in designing a new chip for the switch 2.

If Nvidia made $10 on every switch made thats over $1billion, thats got to be close or better then a lot of there other business segments.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Nooo! No more delay for Breath of the Wild 2!😭😔

How long have you been a Nintendo fan? Nintendo has been delaying Zelda to launch it with a new system since Gamecube.

And every time they do it, they have to go back and do extra work taking apart the game to make sure the version on the console you own won't be better than the version on the new system they want you to buy, ultimately hurting the game.

They're assholes, get used to it.

Mister Wolf

Nintendo bought all of those discount Tegra's and it worked out well for both companies. Going to be interesting to see what they use for the switch 2 now that the partnership is solidified and they've had years to plan desired hardware specs. Should be a forgone conclusion that we get DLSS.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How long have you been a Nintendo fan? Nintendo has been delaying Zelda to launch it with a new system since Gamecube.

And every time they do it, they have to go back and do extra work taking apart the game to make sure the version on the console you own won't be better than the version on the new system they want you to buy, ultimately hurting the game.

They're assholes, get used to it.

They've done it exactly twice. Twilight Princess on GCN/Wii and BotW on Wii U/Switch.

But yes, I also think they will do it again. I HOPE they will do it again, because I'm just kinda over the Switch and don't really want to buy any more big games for it. It's so incredibly outdated at this point.

Last edited:

BlackTron

They've done it exactly twice. Twilight Princess on GCN/Wii and BotW on Wii U/Switch.

But yes, I also think they will do it again. I HOPE they will do it again, because I'm just kinda over the Switch and don't really want to buy any more big games for it. It's so incredibly outdated at this point.

This might well be the first time it's a good thing, but who knows. If Switch 2 has some stupid hardware gimmick, they may end up hurting the game to try and support it, like the other times this has happened.

If their next console is just a more powerful Switch, then I wouldn't mind if every single Switch project was delayed for the new option.

I have no faith in them, I just hope for the best. For example I thought BOTW was a huge let down too, and it seemed like that was supposed to be the one game to end all games, their magnum opus, the game they show up to e3 with BY ITSELF. Watch BOTW2 be a completed BOTW1 with dungeons, something that could have been great on Switch, but then be sullied with some new hardware gimmick that ruins everything. You really NEVER know with them.

I like it when they put out a good game, but I'm smart enough not to assume it's happening. They have a special penchant for messing things up.

kubricks

Just placed my order on a Steamdeck which is just available today in my country, so don't worry Nintendo, take your time on the next console or a pro or whatever.
All I am asking for is for it to be BC with Switch games, I still wanted to play Age of fucking calamity at a stable framerate lol.

Hardensoul

This might well be the first time it's a good thing, but who knows. If Switch 2 has some stupid hardware gimmick, they may end up hurting the game to try and support it, like the other times this has happened.

If their next console is just a more powerful Switch, then I wouldn't mind if every single Switch project was delayed for the new option.

I have no faith in them, I just hope for the best. For example I thought BOTW was a huge let down too, and it seemed like that was supposed to be the one game to end all games, their magnum opus, the game they show up to e3 with BY ITSELF. Watch BOTW2 be a completed BOTW1 with dungeons, something that could have been great on Switch, but then be sullied with some new hardware gimmick that ruins everything. You really NEVER know with them.

I like it when they put out a good game, but I'm smart enough not to assume it's happening. They have a special penchant for messing things up.
That’s cool, BoTW re-energized my love for LoZ. The formula needed to change. The sales says it all, it blew away all sales. Has a LoZ game even sold 10 million before? Especially without rereleases. Maybe Twilight Princess that came close.

I view it as the new base that they can build upon for 3D LoZ going forward.

Last edited:

ManaByte

That’s cool, BoTW re-energized my love for LoZ. The formula needed to change. The sales says it all, it blew away all sales. Has a LoZ game even sold 10 million before? Especially without rereleases. Maybe Twilight Princess that came close.

If they keep the weapon durability, then I'm probably done with LoZ going forward.

jaysius

Banned
The porting opportunity they had with the Wii U to Switch will not exist for the Switch to Switch 2 transition.
They have a good track record of BC.
Yes, renting NES,SNES, N64 roms. Even if you BOUGHT THE ROMS on the Wii shop or the WiiU shop, all of that is jettisoned into the sun.

Killing off older machines estores and not allowing any games to be used on the Switch even though it's digital.

I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about. Oh are you talking about the Wii to WiiU transition? Sure, but they shit all over that track record with the Switches lack of BC.

Last edited:

Woopah

Yes, renting NES,SNES, N64 roms. Even if you BOUGHT THE ROMS on the Wii shop or the WiiU shop, you all of that is jettisoned into the sun.

Killing off older machines estores and not allowing any games to be used on the Switch even though it's digital.

I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about. Oh are you talking about the Wii to WiiU transition? Sure, but they shit all over that track record with the Switches lack of BC.
They've already talked about people's Nintendo accounts being compatible with their next machine.

I'm not saying their previous lack of digital BC wasn't shitty (it was). I'm say that what they did when transitioning from Wii U to Switch will not be the same approach they take with Switch 2.

BlackTron

I don't think it was necessary to take out all the functioning parts of a Zelda game just to have a massive overworld instead.

I mean if they took Ocarina of Time, added in a bunch of cool mechanics, made Hyrule Field gigantic, and then took out all the dungeons AND story, that's BOTW for you.

It's not a terrible game by any means, but uh...where's our Zelda title? It still doesn't exist, we got a Mononoke Hime simulator instead. Still good, but it says "Zelda" on the box, and no other series can step in to fill the shoes.

I think BOTW still would have sold gangbusters if it had any levels in it. In other words they could chase the massive money casual crowd AND make a legit ass game at the same time. They have a maddening tendency to dial it all the way in either direction, for no reason. I guess the real reason is selling games anemic on content while being praised for it, I guess if they know how to do it, why not?

blacktout

They've already talked about people's Nintendo accounts being compatible with their next machine.

I'm not saying their previous lack of digital BC wasn't shitty (it was). I'm say that what they did when transitioning from Wii U to Switch will not be the same approach they take with Switch 2.

Also, the Switch is an outlier in terms of backwards compatibility for Nintendo's handhelds. The GBA was backwards compatible with Game Boy, DS with GBA, and 3DS with DS. Hell, even Nintendo's console BC record isn't terrible: Wii was compatible with GameCube and, as has already been noted, Wii U was compatible with Wii.

I don't think we should read too much into the Switch, because there was no possible way it could have had *physical* BC with Wii U for obvious reasons, and 3DS to Switch BC is impossible since the Switch is a single screen device. Yes, they could have let old digital purchases transfer over (though that could lead to a lot of weirdness since physical versions of those same games wouldn't be playable), and doing away with the Virtual Console definitely had more to do with creating demand for the Switch Online service than with any technical limitations. But, yeah, like you said, there's no reason to worry about digital BC since Nintendo has already indicated that accounts are carrying over to their next gen, whatever and whenever that is.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned

I have some ocean front property in a landlocked state that I'd like to sell you.

Don't trust Nintendo, they're word used to be something, now it's nothing.

Woopah

I have some ocean front property in a landlocked state that I'd like to sell you.

Don't trust Nintendo, they're word used to be something, now it's nothing.
We'll see when the next hardware comes out, but it's in Nintendo's best interest to have people's online accounts so they can continue getting the subscription money. Therefore that is what they are likely to do.

Hardensoul

If they keep the weapon durability, then I'm probably done with LoZ going forward.
Early in the game it was a huge issue but later on I had no issues with weapon durability. The stronger the weapons the durability didn’t become an issue for me.

Anyways I’m not going to make predictions on what Nintendo does. Whatever I think, they usually do the opposite.

Their decisions are always surprising good or bad! 😂

Top Bottom