• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

TheMoon

Hm that's surprising tbh. It had fantastic opening month sales in the US. Iirc it was over 300K.

they only ever list the titles that broke the 1m during that specific FY. since TPHD released in March, that was still the previous FY and the launch sales that would possibly put it over the 1m mark don't count for the FY16/17.

Shiggy

it's a console everywhere but message boards where people love to argue about hardware power.

Interestingly, Nintendo changed the layout of their sales sheet. Previously, the showed sales from all their consoles and all their handheld separately. Since releasing Switch sales numbers, they show the sales of their systems chronological to their respective releasedates. There's no longer a separation of consoles and handhelds.

That way, Nintendo itself doesn't need to specify whether the system is a console or handheld. Either way, it's both - regardless of hardware power.

Celine

It's going to end up 10 million less than the fucking PSP. It was a failure regardless of how you spin it.
3DS is going to sell about 75-80M which is roughly what PSP sold in total.

It's not bad but the real problem for 3DS is that its performance outside Japan are disappointing (it's not a coincidence if the unexpected growth YoY the previous FY came from there).
It's a pity because in Japan 3DS performed very well.

Shiggy

screenshot2017-05-03ao6a1s.png

Just leaving this in here.

Celine

I'm in SNES Classic Mini honeymoon so I decided to compile the list of SNES million-sellers from Nintendo, Capcom, Square and Enix which are the four publishers who shared in the past their sell-in data for the console:

Sl29Pdy.png

As you can guess the majority of titles included in the SNES Classic Mini are million-sellers and very popular at the time.
Here a list with only the games included in the SNES Classic Mini:

bSPPEfN.png

Note:
There are some conflicting reports for the LTDs of Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Romancing SaGa, Romancing SaGa 2 and Romancing SaGa 3 mainly due to SquareEnix including re-releases on other consoles.

^Celine: Always get an slight shock when i see Super Met @ just 1.42 million.

i do understand that in those days a million was more a meaningful landmark but to consider it was probably the most perfect 2D game ever released at that stage and seen sale less than other of it peers leaves an impression.

i guess there's a chance will get STAR FOX 2 in the million selling list after more than 20 years of it's expected release.

i do understand that in those days a million was more a meaningful landmark but to consider it was probably the most perfect 2D game ever released at that stage and seen sale less than other of it peers leaves an impression.

i guess there's a chance will get STAR FOX 2 in the million selling list after more than 20 years of it's expected release.

or since

dickroach

the fucking Super Scope sold 1.65 million units? no one had that hunka garbage.
more than Kirby Super Star and Super Metroid. oof

Celine

Yeah, to study history correctly everything should be put into the right context.
Nowadays big AAA can be considered disappointment with sales of 3-5 million units, but in the (far) past this wasn't the case at all.
That's one of the points I want to highlight if/when I open a blog to discuss Videogame history.

Sort of, I thought about it too.
SNES Classic Mini is going to sell more than 1 million units for sure.

Celine

I've updated the original post with th latest set of data as March 2021.
I've added a chart for R&D and Advertising expenses and a chart for Gross Profit Ratio, Operating Profit Ratio and Net Profit Ratio

A few random observation:

- Finally Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) has outsold Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) thus has became the second best selling Mario 3D game. It took forever!
- If memory serves me right it's the first time any Wii top sellers don't sell additional copies.
- 3DS new hardware shipment seems to have stopped so 75.94M is likely going to be the console definitive LTD.
- NSW first-party software total sales are on the verge to surpass the DS first-party software total sales.
- NSW now has the highest number of 10M+ seliing first-party games of any Nintendo consoles (11 and counting!).

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I've updated the original post with th latest set of data as March 2021.
I've added a chart for R&D and Advertising expenses and a chart for Gross Profit Ratio, Operating Profit Ratio and Net Profit Ratio

A few random observation:

- Finally Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) has outsold Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) thus has became the second best selling Mario 3D game. It took forever!
- If memory serves me right it's the first time any Wii top sellers don't sell additional copies.
- 3DS new hardware shipment seems to have stopped so 75.94M is likely going to be the console definitive LTD.
- NSW first-party software total sales are on the verge to surpass the DS first-party software total sales.
- NSW now has the highest number of 10M+ seliing first-party games of any Nintendo consoles (11 and counting!).
I really appreciate your work here. You are the ultimate source on game sales for me :).

Celine

Some Game Boy annual software sell-in before 1998, unfortunately I miss the data for 3 fiscal years.
Be aware that for the data pre 1998 is likely "shipments to subsidiaries" instead of "shipments to retailers".

4Tdwbfv.jpg

Celine

I've updated OP with the latest batch of data as June 2021.

Random trivia:
- NSW first-party software sales* have surpassed DS first-party software sales*.
- Super Mario 3D World + Boswer's Fury has become a million seller in Japan whereas Ring Fit Adventure has crossed 3 million units and Mario Kart 8 DX has reached 5 million units in the land of the rising sun.

* What is referred as "First-party software" is actually an approximation calculated by summing every million-seller.
Since most Nintendo games sell at least 1 million units it should be a close enough approximation.

Top Bottom