• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shutting Down Dr. Mario World (Mobile) Nov 1st

ManaByte

The Dr. Mario World game's service will end on Nov. 1, 2021 (Mon).
We would like to extend our sincere thanks to everyone who has played the game since it began service on July 10, 2019.
Service end date and time:
Nov. 1, 2021 (Mon) at 6 a.m. (UTC)

Furthermore, diamonds will no longer be available for purchase from July 28, 2021 (Wed).

■ After the end of service

If you start up the Dr. Mario World game after the game's service has ended, an end-of-service notification will be displayed and you will not be able to play the game.
You will be able to look back at your play history in Dr. Mario World Memories, which is a web page that will become available after the game's service ends.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I forgot this existed. I downloaded it, played it for a couple minutes, got kinda bored with it, and uninstalled it. I paid the $9.99 for the Mario Run, but even that sorta fizzed out after a while. I was never really into Dr. Mario, but I admired people who played it seriously. On top of that I never knew anyone who played it. It’s like Bubble Bobble. I played that whenever I went to the arcade, but it’s such a novelty game. You can get both on your smart phone. I never owned Dr. Mario, but I did own Yoshi on GameBoy as a kid.

nush

Gold Member
It's shit and boring. It's a game stuck in the past that no one gives a shit about.

OG Dr Mario is a solid puzzle game, match 3 and Tetris combo.

200.gif

Quasicat

I still play Mario Run and Pocket Camp when I’m out and about and don’t have my Switch with me…realistically is not as often as it used to be. I played Dr Mario and Mario Kart, but always went back to my old standbys.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
And this is the fatal weakness with iOS videogames. Between software being taken down and OS updates rendering everything unplayable, it's almost impossible to keep any games for very long. I'm still quite miffed that I can't play any of Jeff Minter's Project Minotaur games anymore, or the excellent Forget-Me-Not, or this one simple beat-em-up where you play a kung-fu dog that punches down enemies left and right.

iOS was a far better platform a decade ago. Now it's just a wreck and the lack of software preservation is a key reason.

Marty-McFly

Banned
There was an interview with Nintendo a year or so ago I believe where they said they were done with mobile and would just continue to support the current games they have out until they played out. They're making FAR more money from Switch. Investor's pushed for Nintendo to go mobile for years and the results were lukewarm at best relative to Nintendo's brand recognition. Glad they are exiting the mobile arena and putting their focus on Switch.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
You will be able to look back at your play history in Dr. Mario World Memories, which is a web page that will become available after the game's service ends.

oh yes that’s going to have a long shelf life.

Last edited:
I forgot this existed. I downloaded it, played it for a couple minutes, got kinda bored with it, and uninstalled it. I paid the $9.99 for the Mario Run, but even that sorta fizzed out after a while. I was never really into Dr. Mario, but I admired people who played it seriously. On top of that I never knew anyone who played it. It’s like Bubble Bobble. I played that whenever I went to the arcade, but it’s such a novelty game. You can get both on your smart phone. I never owned Dr. Mario, but I did own Yoshi on GameBoy as a kid.
You paid 9.99 for Mario? Lol. That was the problem wkth Nintendo, they actually thought they were going to make a fucking mobile game and charge premium. Finally people told them to fuck off, it's a shame switch owners don tell them the same.

Business

Wish it could just have made sense for them to keep the one time purchase model of SMR. Mtx is just pure trash compromising game design to its core.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I don't recall a single person being satisfied with that game. Neither original fans or new to the series.

N30RYU

There should be a law that forced devs to enable offline gameplay in gatcha or GAAS games once they shut down the servers.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I love me some Dr Mario, but I'd rather play the NES game on my Switch than this mobile version. Just not as good on a touch screen, much like most other falling blocks type games.

Top Bottom