• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo says the transition to its next console is ‘a major concern for us’

Belthazar

Well, this time they know they can't fumble as they'll most likely only have one platform to support themselves. On their previous major failures (N64, GC, WiiU) they always had their portables to fall on. But now their portablen is the only system

Killer8

A Switch 2 or Super Switch would make the most sense considering the Switch's runaway success. But this is Nintendo and i'd be surprised if they just took the safest route. I can see them doing something radically new again, like all of their systems since the GameCube.

Fredrik

They need to nail backwards compatibility. That’s the only way there won’t be a brutal reset.

If I know I’ll have all my digital and physical purchases playable perfectly, or with better framerate, on a new Nintendo console day 1 it’ll take away lots of concern that would otherwise make me hesitate to jump in.

I bought a Steam Deck for 679 € without thinking twice because I knew I would have a huge Steam library of games just sitting there in a list waiting to be installed.

Kokoloko85

If they are smart they will do s Switch 2 And it will be fine. Maybe as good as the Switch

A pure home console will bomb again unless maybe it has some new innovative thing.

They are probably concerned because they cant release another console with similar power/graphics again and they will have to spend more on there games. Plus they’ve practically ported everything from Wii/U that will sell, except Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid trilogy and the HD Zelda’s.

So there next console will require alot more new games And they will be more expensive to make

Last edited:

Mozza

Major question is, is the switch 2 going to sell 100m+ like switch 1, wii u failed, 3ds did not sell as much as ds, so i can understand nintendo being concerned,
Totally different situations, they have done very well with the Switch, they have got a more casual audience to buy traditional games, pretty sure they are waiting for the tech and right price, to release a Switch 2 on par power wise with the PS4 poss Pro.

FStubbs

They need to nail backwards compatibility. That’s the only way there won’t be a brutal reset.

If I know I’ll have all my digital and physical purchases playable perfectly, or with better framerate, on a new Nintendo console day 1 it’ll take away lots of concern that would otherwise make me hesitate to jump in.

I bought a Steam Deck for 679 € without thinking twice because I knew I would have a huge Steam library of games just sitting there in a list waiting to be installed.
I'd think they'd be fine given they're using an off the shelf Tegra for Switch. Even if nVidia isn't the solution, wouldn't they be fine with an off the shelf Snapdragon?

GBA was backwards compatible with Gameboy/Gameboy Color and 3DS was backwards compatible with DS. (And for what it's worth, DS was backwards compatible with the GBA). If anything, it would be the Switch's successor's successor where you'd have to be concerned.

Rubytux

Neo Member
I thought that going with Nvidia and Tegra was meant to build a long term plataform with backwards compatibility. I am not a hw expert, but from Tegra X1 to Orin, may be there are similar instructions sets to make backwards compatibility a reality.

WoJ

I've been debating getting a Switch but have been reluctant to do so because I'm afraid Nintendo will do something stupid with the Switch successor and buying a Switch now would just be pointless.

If Nintendo confirms they will have backwards compatibility then I am much more interested in their future consoles.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
All it needs is a system-seller on the level of Breath of the Wild.

BOTW2 probably can't be the same kind of generation-defining landmark, though, so they should consider the other franchises. Perhaps the next real Metroid Prime, but that is probably too niche.

As someone who knows nothing about technical architecture, could they not do what Microsoft have done and just make everything backwards compatible from the get go? Hybrid portable hardware is amazing and as long as Nintendo keep doing that, I'll keep buying their systems.
I don't trust Nintendo when it comes to BC

kiphalfton

Lol at “building long-term relationships”. Yeah right, Nintendo just wants to bleed Nintendo fanboys dry.

Get comfy, cuz at this rate there probably won’t be a successor to the switch for another 5 years.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Most Nintendo handhelds have launched with BC with the previous gen. GBC could play GB, GBA could play GB and GBC, DS could play GBA, and 3DS can play DS. There's exceptions with revisions, but at launch BC is the normal for Ninty handhelds.

Sounds to me like they're putting thought into the next console transition. Isn't this the first console transition under the current Nintendo president? If so I can see how he'd be cautious in launching his company's first new console under his leadership

It's pretty obvious that the next Nintendo console has to be a more powerful version of the Switch called, simply, Switch 2; not necessarily a 4K powerhouse to rival the Xbox Series X and PS5 but just offering a more refined portable (with OLED screen) and docked TV experience with 1080p portable and 1440p docked support (with image upscaling for 4K TVs). Nintendo also need to learn to use basic features such as "anti-aliasing" and "anisotropic texture filtering", something that has been around for 20+ years but which Nintendo continually ignore in the vast majority of their games. They can also fix the notorious Joycon analogue stick drift as well while they're at it. This machine can also be backward compatible, supporting all the Gen 1 Switch games, which is surely what everyone wants rather than having to buy all the games again (as happened on Switch with its many Wii U ports).

I know Nintendo like to innovate but I fear that a whole new system is not what people would want these days, especially as the Xbox Series consoles and PS5 both run last-gen games. If Nintendo ignore that then I fear they could have another Wii U flop on their hands.

Last edited:

Stamps1646

Come on Nintendo, Switch Pro next year.
I'm still using my original Switch from 2017, I need more juice.
MORE POWAHHHHHHH! ヾ(≧◡≦)ゞ

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Everyone talking about backwards compatibility are forgetting that Nintendo have spent 50 years selling the same games over and over again, starting again with each generation.

They're probably sweating trying to come up with a way of making BC impossible but making it seem like they tried. Then super Mario 64 for £50 can appear.

The new console will probably have to be less powerful than the switch.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's not as simple as just "new machine, backwards compatible" for Nintendo to maintain stable and increasing financial numbers.

Nintendo absolutely plans to do Switch 2 w/ BC, and not re-invent the wheel.. can read between the lines of some of the statements they made during this quarterly call.

A new device on the market still disrupts things for you; you have to keep the users who can't buy one still buying games on your old machine, while making things "Cross-gen" and trying to handle a new console design/BOM challenges/etc. Everything from sales and marketing to tech support now needs a 2 pronged approach.. and a new gen console even w/ BC can still take the wind out of stuff like software sales, as lots of people are eager for a new machine that is out of stock and they wait until they can find one to start buying your games again as they don't want to play them "on the old machine."

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Everyone talking about backwards compatibility are forgetting that Nintendo have spent 50 years selling the same games over and over again, starting again with each generation.

They're probably sweating trying to come up with a way of making BC impossible but making it seem like they tried. Then super Mario 64 for £50 can appear.

The new console will probably have to be less powerful than the switch.
They spent some of that 50 years releasing several series of machines with BC.. from both their mobile line and their home console line. (GameCube -> Wii -> Wii-U had full BC.)

They know they need BC... they'd be idiots if they don't go that route.. true arrogance.. and then yes, they have a big reason to be concerned.. but I think their statements all directly sound like plans for BC to me not the other way around.

Last edited:
Yeah, IIRC the Switch was basically Iwata's last console.
Yup, it will be this next console that'll truly show what the current Nintendo leadership is capable of. Whatever they do, I hope they make reliable controllers...I don't play as much on my Switch OLED compared to other systems because of drift

Hey Blinkin

Just make a beefier Super Switch with the ability to play 3DS/DS/Switch games and I'll buy it day one!

The current console isn't broken, so don't try to get fancy and fix it with some crazy ass new control scheme as the primary method for controls.

They'll never win the graphics arms race, so give players those sweet Nintendo IPs on the go and they'll always remain in most households.

V4skunk

Banned
All Nintendo needs to do is make sure physical and games downloaded on your account work on the next gen system! They went x86 so they would be stupid not to.
And it will print money for sure.

They can but won't be cheap, custom chips cost a lot of money, nintendo have no choice but to pay up, so expect switch 2 cost a lot more then the switch
Nintendo probably will make a custom chip for the next console. Nintendo love to make efficient hardware.
Switch 2 will be 350.
Just name it Switch 2 and call it a day
Super Switch.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Call it Switch 2...don't over complicate things.
It's working for Sony since day one.

You know by its name what you're getting.
i think Nintendo have a weird mindset that "duhh we have to innovate every gen"

But yea, improve the performance of switch, better controller analog and BOOM!
Sales.

Fbh

I don't see how they could fail doing a safe and standard follow up to the switch.

-Call it Switch 2.
-More powerful, sleeker than switch 1
-Fully backwards compatible with Switch games (both physical and digital).
-Have a 1 or 2 years transition period where games release on Switch 1 and 2 with

I don't think their strategy is complicated

Switch 2 with backwards compatibility whenever the next node shrink hits.

I mean what else are they going to do? They used to innovate with stuff like the Wii/N64 but they're basically way behind on VR and next-gen power. Their strategy of adopting a dual handheld/TV hybdrid works well enough and is fairly conservative, even though I wish they'd go back to being extremely innovative technically like in the N64 era

Last edited:

CS Lurker

Just make better motion controls; release a proper VR headset (using the switch 2 unit to power it); have a present-day OS with basic social features (f* that smartphone app); full backwards compatibility; and last but not least: use f*ing dedicated servers on your online games.

よろしく お願いします

Sorcerer

I feel Nintendo finally painted themselves into a corner with the Switch (possibly a good corner) and any future console is just going to be an iteration of the Switch. I can't see the majority of the fanbase being happy if they try something more traditional and abandon the portability aspect. They are probably stuck in this console design for good.

Sorcerer

Major question is, is the switch 2 going to sell 100m+ like switch 1, wii u failed, 3ds did not sell as much as ds, so i can understand nintendo being concerned,
I think if Nintendo does not rush to get a Switch 2 out anytime soon, they will build up so much anticipation that the Switch 2 should be an automatic success, barring the fact that most at the top of hill usually coming tumbling down due to arrogance once they get up there. In other words as long as they don't make unfriendly consumer mistakes with the next console they should be fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom