• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo says it will focus on more original game series in the future

Sidesalad

How about one of those new fangled games called a jrpg? Or, here's an idea. Wrest Pokemon away from GameFreak and make a game that doesn't look like a bunch of random low res assets from the Unity store.

SoraNoKuni

Hopefully they'll deliver, at least that way we can have some games made in Japan from one of the big 3...
Sigh.. at Sony

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Such a tough thing for an established company with beloved characters that have a hardcore fanbase to actually introduce new ones. See Marvel and DC comics as an example.

Not saying it cant happen but as Morgan Freeman would say, good luck.

sublimit

Banned
TLpF4TR.gif

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It's a very good thing to create new IPs. Too bad gamers who lament that Nintendo only does a handful of games that are always the same, then laugh when they try something new and don't buy the new IPs. Gamers also want Nintendo to remaster their old stuff, then don't buy it because of reasons (not enough resolution, no new content, I don't like the Joycons, it's not compatible with the GC controller, motion controls, etc).

I seriously doubt they're working on something AAA, and if they are, it's probably just a single IP.
But even smaller stuff with dat Nintendo quality is always a good thing.

Zannegan

Every company needs new IP from time to time to keep things interesting or to respond to new markets/opportunities. That said, sometimes a new take or even just a new entry in an established franchise will do just as much to shake things up, especially if it's been a long time since the last one.

Nintendo doesn't currently have enough output to service the IPs it already owns. I'd be more interested in hearing them voice a committment to staff up, buy studios, make strategic partnerships, or even just contract out some games to round out their roster.

Still, good news is good news.

tylrdiablos

Lmfao, I bought my system for games, none of the stuff you mentioned that they should focus on doesn’t even come close to what most gamers care about...

Games should ALWAYS be top priority!
Gamers don't care about playing with their friends? You're saying you don't play any games with your friends and don't want it to be as hassle-free as possible?

Ten_Fold

Nintendo is doing a great job, they just need some more AAA new IP’s.

I love the Zelda’s, Marios and everything else from the big sellers like Animal crossing and titles like Luigi’s Mansion, Fire emblem and Pikmin.
But Id like to see some new AAA Ip that aren't called Mario, Zelda or Metroid lol
Man Nintendo treats Metroid more like AA You hardly see Metroid AT ALL.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nintendo should focus on their fans.

Full Nintendo catalog on eshop to buy, rent or stream. Certain enhanced version with MP and leaderboards with score/time attack. Give us new sprite art Mario, Zelda and Metroid.
Give us a fully remastered F-ZeroGX online etc FFS

Last edited:

Woopah

Every company needs new IP from time to time to keep things interesting or to respond to new markets/opportunities. That said, sometimes a new take or even just a new entry in an established franchise will do just as much to shake things up, especially if it's been a long time since the last one.

Nintendo doesn't currently have enough output to service the IPs it already owns. I'd be more interested in hearing them voice a committment to staff up, buy studios, make strategic partnerships, or even just contract out some games to round out their roster.

Still, good news is good news.
A lot of their franchises are already contracted out to Namco, Koei Tecmo, Good Feel and other companies. I think that issue isn't just a lack of resources but that after 30+ years they have a crazy number of IP and that for many of them they no longer see them as worth investing in.

Kuranghi

Its really funny that people like this woman now use the phrase with direct reference to WH to honestly ask for proof for something. When I use the actual gif I am mostly being ironic because the context of her saying it was that she was told she had spent seven hundred and thirty thousand dollars on drugs over a short period of time (As a side note, she also says "I wish", freudian slip? :messenger_tears_of_joy: ) and she was asking for proof but of course there would never be any because they were bloody drug dealer transactions. Worst drug dealer ever, writing out paper receipts for his famous clients haha.

I'm probably not being totally fair as I don't know what the context of that monetary claim was, whether it was hearsay or she was actually monitored by the authorities as having spent that much money on drugs, but on the face of of it the statement is pretty silly.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
At this point just give me the forgotten GameCube racing three pack on switch,
Wave Race blue storm, f zero GX, and Kirby air ride

Compare that to Sony's strategy, which is to only release cinematic games and to remake 10 year old games.

Nintendo is what keeps the industry fresh and alive.
Has to be a joke?Sony is the only one who keeps this industry fresh and alive not only with there state of the art consoles but especially with their games.Nintendo is releasing the same games forever cheap to make no content no voice acting nothing.Heavy rain is more original than everything Nintendo has ever released.Modnation racers little big plant dreams trash every Nintendo game in creativity content and so on.Sony is the only one who produces and green lights all kind of Titel cheap or expensive flower last guardian demon souls so on.Nintendo is major over rated in every way.Their Hardware is trash they use the same games forever upscale them put a few new colors on it that’s all.Donkey Kong is same as Mario jung for banana instead for coin Yoshi is same as Mario and donkey Kong jump for wool instead for coin or banana since over 20 years is always same Mario cheap produced same Mario kart Mario golf Mario tennis so on.

Shut0wen

The Japanese giant has one of the richest portfolios of franchises in gaming, but the majority of its intellectual properties were created in the 1980s and 90s. In the decades since, it’s mostly focused on expanding these series, rather than creating entirely new ones.

Over the past 20 years, the company’s most significant original IP launches were Splatoon (2015), Wii Sports (2006) and Pikmin (2001).

Speaking in a new Japanese interview with Nikkei (paywall), Furukawa said the company would commit to creating more original game franchises in the future, and emphasised that the Switch firm would need to continue to innovate in order to maintain its relevance within the increasingly competitive home entertainment marketplace.

“With the expansion of time spent at home, the range of ‘entertainment’ as an object of consumption is expanding,” the president said.

“Games are not a necessity of life. In order for customers to choose games in their finite time, they have to be interesting. Competition is tough, and I am not optimistic.

“I myself am looking at and studying various forms of entertainment. In the future, we will focus on creating new game series as well as long-sellers such as Mario and Zelda.”

Later in the interview, Furukawa reiterated that Nintendo was continuously thinking about new hardware.

“We are constantly building up ideas for the new consoles the market is expecting, but there are some things we can’t do now due to technology and cost constraints,” he said.
The time they spent on stupid filler nintendo ganes EG mario party, metroid federation force yoshi wolley world they could of spent that time and recourses creating a new IP

Zannegan

Returnal isnt a walking simulator, neither is Ratchet and Clank. Neither is Gran Turismo or Ghost of Tsushima lol. Ghost of Tsushima probably has one of the best combat systems last generation. Same as God of war. There gameplay has been great
Not to be pedantic, but the comment you replied to was specifically addressed to their new IP, so GoT and Returnal are the only two on your list that really counter their point. Regardless, walking sim is a silly and trollish mischaracterization, even if Sony's new games do tend to follow a pattern.
Has to be a joke?Sony is the only one who keeps this industry fresh and alive not only with there state of the art consoles but especially with their games.Nintendo is releasing the same games forever cheap to make no content no voice acting nothing.Heavy rain is more original than everything Nintendo has ever released.Modnation racers little big plant dreams trash every Nintendo game in creativity content and so on.Sony is the only one who produces and green lights all kind of Titel cheap or expensive flower last guardian demon souls so on.Nintendo is major over rated in every way.Their Hardware is trash they use the same games forever upscale them put a few new colors on it that’s all.Donkey Kong is same as Mario jung for banana instead for coin Yoshi is same as Mario and donkey Kong jump for wool instead for coin or banana since over 20 years is always same Mario cheap produced same Mario kart Mario golf Mario tennis so on.
This is as laughable as the troll post you are replying to. Both of you use facts as your jumping off points, then spend the remaining 90% of your posts wallowing in hyperbole, supposition, and willful mischaracterization.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Not to be pedantic, but the comment you replied to was specifically addressed to their new IP, so GoT and Returnal are the only two on your list that really counter their point. Regardless, walking sim is a silly and trollish mischaracterization, even if Sony's new games do tend to follow a pattern.

This is as laughable as the troll post you are replying to. Both of you use facts as your jumping off points, then spend the remaining 90% of your posts wallowing in hyperbole, supposition, and willful mischaracterization.

Bloodborne wasnt a walking sim. Neither was Days gone, Spider man, Horizon etc. All new Ip.

For older Ip, ratchet and Clank or God of War weren’t Walking sims. God of War was the closest to “Walking sim” like uncharted or the last of us, but it had an amazing combat system with puzzples and epid boss fights. One of the best games of the generation.

At the end of the day, apart from Nintendo not many studios or producers are creating and releasing game of the year contenders every year

mortal

Gold Member
That's great to hear actually.

DoqPu5bUUAAKoyF

Hope we see this game soon.
This is that Monolith Soft project inspired by Escaflowne, right?

Damn I really hope this wasn't canceled.

Such a tough thing for an established company with beloved characters that have a hardcore fanbase to actually introduce new ones. See Marvel and DC comics as an example.

Not saying it cant happen but as Morgan Freeman would say, good luck.
All it takes is the effort really, but not all of them can be winners. So long as they at least make the attempt to try their hands at new IP is all I ask.

Splatoon is great example of this.

Last edited:
It was a lot easier to create new ips and new ideas when your game was made in 6-8 months and didn't have to be held under such extreme scrutiny. When your characters didn't have to have compelling worldly storylines and much of it was fill in the blanks with your own imagination. And when you could change character designs and experiment with gameplay easier for follow ups. Those luxuries are little afforded when your game new ip now takes 4 years of development and cost 10s of millions. I wouldn't even get into the ridiculous social expectations being dragged into new ips now ( sometimes by thier own team members)

Nintendo should start a series of smaller games with new ips and expand them into different larger directions later.The problem is 2d is seen as a trend or style that is reflective of the genre now and that ends up causing the expectation that it remain locked in its own genre.

Aldric

Nintendo should start a series of smaller games with new ips and expand them into different larger directions later.
They've done a slew of smaller new IPs on 3DS, some of them were released very late in the system's life and would probably have benefitted from a Switch release. Ever Oasis comes to mind. A brand new ARPG IP by the creator of Secret of Mana should have been a pretty big deal but it got completely ignored at least in part because by the time it released no one cared about 3DS anymore.

Woopah

That Nintendo will focus on new IPs, I mean the ones not being Mario, Zelda, or maybe Metroid.
They have been able to publish Mario, Zelda, new IPs and a bunch of other franchises before, so I'm sure they could do that again.

Top Bottom