• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo says it will focus on more original game series in the future

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Japanese giant has one of the richest portfolios of franchises in gaming, but the majority of its intellectual properties were created in the 1980s and 90s. In the decades since, it’s mostly focused on expanding these series, rather than creating entirely new ones.

Over the past 20 years, the company’s most significant original IP launches were Splatoon (2015), Wii Sports (2006) and Pikmin (2001).

Speaking in a new Japanese interview with Nikkei (paywall), Furukawa said the company would commit to creating more original game franchises in the future, and emphasised that the Switch firm would need to continue to innovate in order to maintain its relevance within the increasingly competitive home entertainment marketplace.

“With the expansion of time spent at home, the range of ‘entertainment’ as an object of consumption is expanding,” the president said.

“Games are not a necessity of life. In order for customers to choose games in their finite time, they have to be interesting. Competition is tough, and I am not optimistic.

“I myself am looking at and studying various forms of entertainment. In the future, we will focus on creating new game series as well as long-sellers such as Mario and Zelda.”

Later in the interview, Furukawa reiterated that Nintendo was continuously thinking about new hardware.

“We are constantly building up ideas for the new consoles the market is expecting, but there are some things we can’t do now due to technology and cost constraints,” he said.

Kokoloko85

Nintendo is doing a great job, they just need some more AAA new IP’s.

I love the Zelda’s, Marios and everything else from the big sellers like Animal crossing and titles like Luigi’s Mansion, Fire emblem and Pikmin.
But Id like to see some new AAA Ip that aren't called Mario, Zelda or Metroid lol

Kuranghi

I love the Zelda’s, Marios and everything else from the big sellers like Animal crossing and titles like Luigi’s Mansion, Fire emblem and Pikmin.
But Id like to see some new AAA Ip that aren't called Mario, Zelda or Metroid lol

I also love it all recently, I fear this could lead to more gimmicky stuff like ARMS (Sorry Arms fans, I'm not an MP guy so it was doomed from the start for me) but hey, I'm willing to let them try and make new IP because a lot of the Switch exclusive indies have been right up my alley, like Good Job! and The Stretchers.

Dr Bass

Yeah ... I’m sick of the flood of Metroid titles we have been getting. 🤔

nerdface

Banned
Good. It will be hard for them. They can still rely on their brand for some sales, but fans won’t run damage control for a mediocre new franchise like they do time and again for mario and zelda. New franchises will have to be GOOD to succeed.

...hope they step up to the plate.

tr1p1ex

They said that before. They have new blood in leadership though and are living up to it somewhat.

Splatoon has been big for them especially in Japan. And I love Splatoon.

ARMs was a miss. Some potential there. But I was expecting the joycons and motion control to curve the 'arms.' But was none of that. The online experience of ARMs was pretty interesting though and I thought well done - the way it had a few teams in a lobby and directed into different battles in different modes with each other etc.

Not sure they really released anything new in the past few years though. Pandemic partly at fault. IT's been a big dry spell this past 12 months even for NIntendo standards.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
I think that’s good, but I would like them to continue the uniqueness they had during the Wii era where they had games that were brand new.

Knightime_X

Nintendo's staple games are so few and far between they could pass for original games.
The last metroid game on a non-handheld console was 14 freaking years ago!
After Metroid Prime 4 drops I don't know if i'll live long enough to see MP5 ffs.

Last edited:

Woopah

They said that before. They have new blood in leadership though and are living up to it somewhat.

Splatoon has been big for them especially in Japan. And I love Splatoon.

ARMs was a miss. Some potential there. But I was expecting the joycons and motion control to curve the 'arms.' But was none of that. The online experience of ARMs was pretty interesting though and I thought well done - the way it had a few teams in a lobby and directed into different battles in different modes with each other etc.

Not sure they really released anything new in the past few years though. Pandemic partly at fault. IT's been a big dry spell this past 12 months even for NIntendo standards.
They were publishing 3 new retail IP a year 2017-2019 - so it is disappointing seeing the drop off since then. I'm hoping they can get back on track starting next year.

Over the past 20 years, the company’s most significant original IP launches were Splatoon (2015), Wii Sports (2006) and Pikmin (2001).
This is very far from being true, I wonder why they picked those three games.

They don't need any new IPs, Mario and Zelda, Smash, Pokémon and Animal Crossing sell like gang busters. This is what the fans want.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I meant apart from Mario, Zelda and Metroid, there isnt many AAA games Nintendo does. XenoBlade I guess
Dude, AAA from Nintendo is different from what you think of, stop comparing them to Sony big budget realistic/violent cinematic productions

I consider the likes of Astral Chain, Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, Bayonetta 2,Donkey Kong Country, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Luigis Mansion etc to be "AAA" releases from Nintendo, those are their big games production wise, some are niche, others sell a ton,and have their best designers on board. Nintendo just operates on a different level from other companies, yet i would never say their games are worse, or even sell less in many cases.

Kokoloko85

Dude, AAA from Nintendo is different from what you think of, stop comparing them to Sony big budget realistic/violent cinematic productions

I consider the likes of Astral Chain, Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, Bayonetta 2,Donkey Kong Country, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Luigis Mansion etc to be "AAA" releases from Nintendo, those are their big games production wise, some are niche, others sell a ton,and have their best designers on board. Nintendo just operates on a different level from other companies, yet i would never say their games are worse, or even sell less in many cases.

I didnt compare them to Sony lol. I didnt even mention anyone else?

Id like something different from them, Xenoblade has never been my thing and Astral chain didnt catch me either. I love Fire Emblem, probably my 2nd game of the year after Sekiro but I just meant something big like Mario and Zelda. I never said there games are worse...

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I didnt compare them to Sony lol. I didnt even mention anyone else?

Id like something different from them, Xenoblade has never been my thing and Astral chain didnt catch me either. I love Fire Emblem, probably my 2nd game of the year after Sekiro but I just meant something big like Mario and Zelda. I never said there games are worse...
Yeah when you mention only Zelda, Mario (heh) or Metroid(lol) were AAA you kinda implied there :p

Im just saying, Nintendo operates very differently from other game companies, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade and Astral Chain may not be your cup of tea but thats what Nintendo makes and their fans enjoy. They don't cease to exist only because you don't care about them.

Just look at Splatoon and how big it got. It didn't need realistic graphics, gore or movie quality cutscenes, but cute cartoony art and fun game mechanics.

Like, a lot of gamers like to complain Nintendo never makes anything thats not Mario or Zelda but they never try what they put out lol, its like they want Sony game but made by Nintendo

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

God of War and Ghost of Sushima are cinematic walking sims with some action in between

The modern Ratchet and Clank is trying too hard to be cinematic and attempting to appeal to the Pixar/Disney crowd.
Classic Ratchet and Clank was different though.

Gran Turismo is fine, I agree.

Returnal too, but it feels boring as heck. Good on them for trying to make a game, though.

I get what you mean with the newer Ratchet and Clank arent like the orginals but there is still plenty of gameplay.

Same with Ghosts. Theres cutscenes but no more than a usual open world game, the combat and sneaking is plenty.
God of War had alot of combat especially with the non story stuff.

Its like saying Zelda is a walking Sim because all you do is walk in vast areas of nothing, the combat is pretty bad and theres loads of cutscenes.

If you dont want any cutscenes, theres bloodborne lol. Or Street Fighter V.

Returnal wont be boring, its fast paced shooter, might just not be worth the price but still plenty fun if House Marque is doing it

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Yeah when you mention only Zelda, Mario (heh) or Metroid(lol) were AAA you kinda implied there :p

Im just saying, Nintendo operates very differently from other game companies, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade and Astral Chain may not be your cup of tea but thats what Nintendo makes and their fans enjoy. They don't cease to exist only because you don't care about them.

Just look at Splatoon and how big it got. It didn't need realistic graphics, gore or movie quality cutscenes, but cute cartoony art and fun game mechanics.

Like, a lot of gamers like to complain Nintendo never makes anything thats not Mario or Zelda but they never try what they put out lol, its like they want Sony game but made by Nintendo

I like Animal crossing too. I just wish there was a new Ip that was the likes of Mario and Zelda. Maybe even an old IP but brought back AAA like, 3D Donkey Kong game, Goemon or Earthbound etc. Or even 3D Wario game lol. Id love an actually good Star Fox game, maybe mixing up the space combat and Starfox adventures like etc.

I agree they work best operating differently to everyone else I just want a couple more titles, new or bring back older IP and making them super.

"Nintendo says it will focus on more original game series in the future"

Ha Ha Ha. 😀 A little late for an April fool's joke. Come on Nintendo, stop playing around and let us know when the next Mario and Zelda games are gonna be released.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They haven't even been able to put out a new, full fledged Metroid game in nearly ten years. They only just got around finally putting a rich Pokemon game on their flagship console. I guess I am saying I'll believe it when I see it, but I doubt Nintendo will ever not give minimum effort and go for that low hanging fruit whenever they have the chance.

tylrdiablos

They need to focus on their god-awful online service/UI.
Take a look at how Microsoft/Sony/Steam implement friends lists, messaging, voice-chat and invites, and either improve on it or copy it entirely.

When that's done, then they should focus on more original titles and we'll be able to them with friends properly.

e&e

Banned
They need to focus on their god-awful online service/UI.
Take a look at how Microsoft/Sony/Steam implement friends lists, messaging, voice-chat and invites, and either improve on it or copy it entirely.

When that's done, then they should focus on more original titles and we'll be able to them with friends properly.
Lmfao, I bought my system for games, none of the stuff you mentioned that they should focus on doesn’t even come close to what most gamers care about...

Games should ALWAYS be top priority!

Last edited:

Aldric

DoqPu5bUUAAKoyF

Hope we see this game soon.

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...s-on-more-original-game-series-in-the-future/

Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa has said that the company will invest in more original games in the future, in addition to supporting its core franchises.

The Japanese giant has one of the richest portfolios of franchises in gaming, but the majority of its intellectual properties were created in the 1980s and 90s. In the decades since, it’s mostly focused on expanding these series, rather than creating entirely new ones.

Speaking in a new Japanese interview with Nikkei (paywall), Furukawa said the company would commit to creating more original game franchises in the future, and emphasised that the Switch firm would need to continue to innovate in order to maintain its relevance within the increasingly competitive home entertainment marketplace.

“Games are not a necessity of life. In order for customers to choose games in their finite time, they have to be interesting. Competition is tough, and I am not optimistic.

“I myself am looking at and studying various forms of entertainment. In the future, we will focus on creating new game series as well as long-sellers such as Mario and Zelda.”

Later in the interview, Furukawa reiterated that Nintendo was continuously thinking about new hardware.

“We are constantly building up ideas for the new consoles the market is expecting, but there are some things we can’t do now due to technology and cost constraints,” he said.

Top Bottom