• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo says it can’t realistically create sequels ‘to every series fans request’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Shuntaro Furukawa was asked by a shareholder if it would consider making new titles or remakes in its many dormant series, such as F-Zero or Wario Land.

The company president replied (as translated by VGC contributor Robert Sephazon) by starting that Nintendo could not realistically create sequels to every series fans want to see.

“It is realistically difficult to develop new titles and remakes, including sequels, for every Nintendo game that people request, but we are very grateful and appreciate the expectations our fans have for our games,” he said.

Senior managing executive officer Shinya Takahashi also answered the question, and gave an example of how in the past Nintendo has been asked for remakes that it secretly already had in development.

“We are always considering how to develop new titles and remakes that can be enjoyed by many players,” he said.

“During the 79th Ordinary General Meeting of Shareholders in 2019, we were asked if there were any plans to remake the Famicom Detective Club series, and, at that time, we happened to be planning a remake. That is an example where we were already actively developing such a title.

“We cannot tell you if there are any plans for future remakes of any specific game, but, during development, we are always thinking about various possibilities that players can enjoy.”

radewagon

Fail Empire Strikes Back GIF by Star Wars

Neff

No, just the ones which are reliable, steady sellers.

I can't tell the difference between the Animal Crossing/Fire Emblem/Pokémon games you fart out annually so don't give me that 'innovation' shit either.

Astral Dog

Why does this company keep making niche jrpg's like Xenoblade yet we can't have sequels to Fzero, Starfox, Waverace, Kid Icarus, Pilot Wings, Excite Bike, Punch Out?

JFC Nintendo.

It would be so easy for them to win back fans but they just refuse.
Xenoblade has a bigger potential audience than those series (Star Fox lol) and a developer that knows how to make it. (they won't put Sakurai to work on Kid Icarus again). The last two releases were big hits for the console. Xenoblade 3 no doubt as well. Go shit on some other game

The answer here is actually pretty reasonable, but fanboys lol

Last edited:

Thabass

I mean they can't, it's true. But they should also prioritize what the fans want from a remake / remaster. Literally, create a survey and ask the fans what they want the most. Then make it if you wish.

I mean they can't, it's true. But they should also prioritize what the fans want from a remake / remaster. Literally, create a survey and ask the fans what they want the most. Then make it if you wish.
The problem with that proposal is that fans will just ask for Ocarina of Time yet again.

Thabass

The problem with that proposal is that fans will just ask for Ocarina of Time yet again.
Not if you limit the options. Survey apps allow you to choose what you want. So if you're looking at options for remakes/remasters: don't fucking put OOT and instead put down ideas you haven't done:

Metroid Prime
F-Zero
Earthbound

Then you can see what fans want out of those three. It's not hard.

Maybe stop shitting out a new FE and Mario game every three months, then you'll have time and ressources to do something different for a change.

/rant

levyjl1988

Banned
I'm starved for a proper high-budget Star Fox game.
I want a Star Fox game where you can create your own animal avatar and join the Star Fox team and pilot and customize an Arwing. I want to have both space combat and out of vehicle missions akin to Mass Effect.
I want the ability to play as any of the main characters besides Fox, I want to play the entire game through Krystal for example and playing the story again as a different character will unveil hidden unlocks or unique levels to that character.
I want third-person perspective and Z-targeting (locking on) while in an Arwing orbiting the enemy and firing and dodging. I want some REAL space opera Star Wars level explosions in the opening scene like Assault.
I'm honestly done with the shitty arcade shooter, missable rings and point-scoring rails on shooter that was Star Fox. I want to see the franchise evolved into something risky but amazing.
But then again Nintendo is still filled with dinosaurs who are not capable of truly putting something risky and often stick to the traditional franchises, but it's getting really fatiguing.
Nintendo is playing it too safe and they aren't doing anything with the franchise.

kiphalfton

But they're doing their damnedest to port everything to switch. Makes total sense.

In case you didn't get that, it comes down to amount of effort/money they want to invest... which is little. Can't blame them as they're a business at the end of the day. I guess if they were amy other business they would have to worry about alienating their fan base, but their fans keep coming back for more.

Last edited:

gamer82

I would like a new wario game if thats to much resources include war and walugi in a Mario game as a playable character (not party or mini games). kid iccaurs game either platform or open world.

Oof85

Why does this company keep making niche jrpg's like Xenoblade yet we can't have sequels to Fzero, Starfox, Waverace, Kid Icarus, Pilot Wings, Excite Bike, Punch Out?

JFC Nintendo.

It's funny but Pilotwings imo would be the ideal part of a consoles launch lineup.
A simple yet cozy visually impressive game to show off the hardware muscle, early in the generation.
People wouldn't take up time asking for it because they'd know it's an early life title for any consoles.
Especially since it'd shine best in a thinner software market.

Starfox has been largely passed by in terms of design trends. Furry stuff is sus these days.

F-zero imo should also be an early life title.

Waverace? Nah.
Excitebike? Nah.

Punch Out? Should be a mid term title.

The real shame is that The frog for Whom the bell tolls was a one-shot.

That'd be a perfect launch year title, part rpg part adventure but pure charm.
Update the art, refine the puzzles and transformations but retain the writing and charm and watch it be a beloved title for the library.

JFC Nintendo.

I'll take Xenoblade over any of those.

What fans do they need to "win back"? Nintendo is doing better than ever before.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo is obsessed with exclusives they don’t realize their consoles and online sucks.

Daytonabot

Banned
I'll take Xenoblade over any of those.

What fans do they need to "win back"? Nintendo is doing better than ever before.
They caught lightning in a bottle for the second time in three generations. The third was a disaster mitigated only by the 3DS, a revenue stream that no longer exists. Their success is more fragile than you seem to think.

Wunray

JFC Nintendo.

Each entry in the series has sold over 1M units, this series is not niche.

They caught lightning in a bottle for the second time in three generations. The third was a disaster mitigated only by the 3DS, a revenue stream that no longer exists. Their success is more fragile than you seem to think.
Yeah, they're going third-party any day now. Only a new Kid Icarus can possibly save them from bankruptcy now. /s

Last edited:
The thing is they aren't being asked to make sequels to every single game, but there are a few remakes that for whatever reason Nintendo refuses to acknowledge.

Fans: could you do a sequel to Fzero or Eternal Darkness? Earthbound or Pilot Wings?

Nintendo: OMG we cant make sequels to every single Nintendo game!

Because putting resources toward a couple of remakes or sequels would be so difficult 🙄

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Then why make the original if you can’t make another sequel.

Stop making the fire emblem games. That would free up some people.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Stop making the fire emblem games. That would free up some people.
Again we haven’t got new mainline FE since 2019.

Unless by your logic we shouldn’t get any new mainline DQ, Persona or Final Fantasy because they get a lot of spin offs.

Last edited:

MacReady13

How about making the games you are releasing now not bare bones shit (Strikers, Switch sports etc...) and then make a fucking powerful Switch! They have so much fucking money and they have a weak, shithouse handheld that is pathetic connected to a tv. Get your fucking shit sorted Nintendo. I used to be a die hard Nintendo fan yet their decision making is deplorable. Releasing drip feed older games behind a sub service?! Fucking pathetic.

Quasicat

F-Zero GX with widescreen and 1080P 60fps with online multiplayer is really what most people want. I cant see how this would be a huge resource drain for Nintendo.
Seriously, it does native widescreen already and looks absolutely incredible on Dolphin. I would buy it again if all they did was release it like that… it hung else added to it!

Top Bottom