• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo says it’s still considering possible future Mini consoles

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During a Q&A at its General Meeting of Shareholders held on Tuesday, which it has published in Japanese, a shareholder suggested that the Nintendo Classic Mini series could be a new way for parents who no longer play games to come into contact with Nintendo IP again.

Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa replied: “We always want our products to be played by people of all ages, from children to adults. In fact, after being in the video game business for many years, we believe that there is now a very wide range of generations who have adopted Nintendo consoles.

“We will continue to examine the possibility of offering classic content, such as with the NES and Super NES Classic Mini series, as well as our online services, as a way of communicating the appeal of our products to different generations.”

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Sony purposely designed the Playstation Mini to be hacked knowing it would be anyway, and that way they don't have to pay for a bunch of licenses. It was a slick move.

Considered how hard they mailed that one in, beating even fucking Konami by quite a largin margin in half assed laziness, I sincerely doubt this was their plan.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Sony purposely designed the Playstation Mini to be hacked knowing it would be anyway, and that way they don't have to pay for a bunch of licenses. It was a slick move.
The SNES and NES classic were easier to run homebrew on. Even the official Genesis mini presented less hurdles than the PS classic.

The SNES and NES classic were easier to run homebrew on. Even the official Genesis mini presented less hurdles than the PS classic.

The Genesis Mini shares a hacking software with the SNES and NES classics. That's how you do it what that guy suggested. Plus it has a kickass menu theme!

Last edited:

Neff

Considering how well these things sell, and how strong the scalper market still is, it only makes bags of sense to produce more and/or create new platforms.

I still feel the biggest hurdle to ever getting an N64 mini is packing in the authentic controller(s).

They'd redesign the stick mechanism to be more robust, but it'd relatively simple to do so. Accurate emulation is going to be a much bigger task, because Nintendo is very demanding with emulation accuracy.

Nintendo left a little greeting message for hackers in the SNES Classic, which is unusual for them considering their zero tolerance policy on rom sharing. And yeah, as pointed out, its security was near-effortless to circumvent.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I can definitely see them releasing new instances of the NES and SNES with different games.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
It Prints Money™, so of course they're considering more of them.

They're still (infinitely) a better deal than the $250 Amico.

It takes effort to lock something down and they simply couldn't be bothered, which sums up their entire approach to the PS Classic. Half-assed bandwagon jumping.

th4tguy

it already exist and it is called GB Micro, best really portable console ever
lhpazJ9.jpg
Too small for my giant hands. I'm also looking for something that I could then mod and load up with other gba, gbc, and gb games.
It's that or finally biting the bullet and getting one of those RG351 or Retroid Pocket 2 units.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
The reason why we still not have a mini N64 is because Nintendo is greedy, so they build Nes and Snes Mini around 3ds CPUs left, but this chip are not enough powerful to run a N64, they should use a more powerful chip, and they don't want to spend money.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was so ridiculously easy even for a dumbass like me. It's now one of my favorite consoles I've ever owned.

SCB3

A GB / GBA , N64 and GC ones would be a instant buy

That being said, would an N64 one even be good enough?

Top Bottom