• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President Hints at New System (?)

McRazzle

From the latest Q&A from the Feb. 1 2021 Investors briefing

Q8: You've talked about extending the Nintendo Switch lifecycle and further expanding the installed base, and that the user base has already become quite diversified. Where do you think there is room to grow, for example, demand for a second system, sales expansion in other regions, or expanding through something like Nintendo Switch Lite, which just completed its second holiday season? I heard news that you have no plans for a new model for the time being, but I'd like to hear more about your strategy for the Nintendo Switch family of systems.

A8: Furukawa: Starting with the subject of new Nintendo Switch models, we will be releasing Nintendo Switch – Mario Red & Blue Edition (as a set including a carrying case and Nintendo Switch console with special Mario designs) alongside the release of Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury on February 12. We also plan to release a special design of the hardware as Nintendo Switch MONSTER HUNTER RISE Edition in March. With this release schedule for new hardware and Nintendo Switch having just marked its highest sales in its fourth year on the market, we do not have plans to announce a new model. Moving on to future expansion of the installed base, we believe that as the number of Nintendo Switch users continues to grow, this will also drive increasing demand for a second system among the Nintendo Switch family of systems. In addition, sales in the "Other" region, which includes Asia, are increasing with an even higher growth rate than Japan, North America and Europe, so we want to further expand these sales. When we look at a percentage of new demand for Nintendo Switch so far, while we have made significant progress in some countries and regions, certain places have an even greater capacity for further growth. Looking at population size, for example, I think there is still plenty of room for new demand in the U.S. and Europe, even more so than in Japan. That said, there are already many people in these regions who have purchased the hardware in these past four years, and so for sales to grow even further, we will need to communicate the appeal of Nintendo Switch as a video game system to people who have not yet bought one as a result of our past initiatives. We will need to continue to create opportunities that lead to a purchase. I believe these initiatives will continue to be very important going forward.

51bPgwFwp-L._AC_SX522_.jpg

Kamina

Golden Boy
“Moving on to future expansion of the installed base, we believe that as the number of Nintendo Switch users continues to grow, this will also drive increasing demand for a second system among the Nintendo Switch family of systems”

So it could be. However, dont expect anything and you cant be disappointed.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Furukawa "With this release schedule for new hardware and Nintendo Switch having just marked its highest sales in its fourth year on the market, we do not have plans to announce a new model. Moving on to future expansion of the installed base, we believe that as the number of Nintendo Switch users continues to grow, this will also drive increasing demand for a second system among the Nintendo Switch family of systems."
So does he mean they think many will buy 2 different models in this Switch family of systems?

"That said, there are already many people in these regions who have purchased the hardware in these past four years, and so for sales to grow even further, we will need to communicate the appeal of Nintendo Switch as a video game system to people who have not yet bought one as a result of our past initiatives. We will need to continue to create opportunities that lead to a purchase. I believe these initiatives will continue to be very important going forward."
And he thinks they need to find ways to get people who have not yet bought one to buy one.

Makes me assume the next Switch model will be something different from the current Switch & Switch Lite.. (like a dedicated home console Switch for 4K TVs?)

And it'll be a 2022 launch.

Codes 208

Sounds more like they want to expand the current switch line up. He could be referring to the super switch rumors as a second console for people to buy but I think it’s a bit of a stretch.

"As we sell more Switches and build customer loyalty, we hope there will be more demand for new Switch hardware in the future" is basically what's said here.

It's undeniable that hardcore Switch fans want a more powerful system, so it makes sense to me that Nintendo would answer those demands with some kind of pro model eventually. Especially since a full next-gen version seems a ways off. This interview however doesn't really give us anything to go on.

belmarduk

I really really want a Switch Pro now that my fucking cat scratched up my Switch.
Also, BotW2.
Do it Nintendo, for me. I've spent thousands and thousands on your systems and games over the years and quite frankly I deserve those things.

JimboJones

So does he mean they think many will buy 2 different models in this Switch family of systems?

Sounds like they expect current Switch owners to pick up a second unit be that Switch or SwitchLite.
Basically other family members wanting their own personal unit, probably means there gonna put more money into marketing local wireless gaming.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
"With this release schedule for new hardware and Nintendo Switch having just marked its highest sales in its fourth year on the market, we do not have plans to announce a new model. Moving on to future expansion of the installed base, we believe that as the number of Nintendo Switch users continues to grow, this will also drive increasing demand for a second system among the Nintendo Switch family of systems."

This seems to indicate a Switch Pro, "New Switch", Switch TV or something similar. Basically not a new system but a sort of slightly different one.

cireza

Banned
That's how I understand it. Sell a second console to those who already bought one. This probably validates a new iteration of the console that would appeal to people who already bought one.

Also expanding to people who have not bought one yet might mean even more casual stuff.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
we believe that as the number of Nintendo Switch users continues to grow, this will also drive increasing demand for a second system among the Nintendo Switch family of systems.

There's the obvious reference to new hardware. We have the Switch, Switch Lite and whatever that will be. Switch XL perhaps. Hopefully with a new C/GPU.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Second system means "households buying another Switch". There's already two systems in the family he's talking about, the Switch and the Switch Lite, he can't be talking about a "second" piece of hardware they haven't announced yet. He literally says "we do not have plans to announce a new model" and then moves on.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Goes on about current hardware and how to increase sales given how many have already sold and mentions "We are working hard to get new people to buy our system"

Parse that sentiment through some wishful thinking dyslexia filter -> "We are working hard to get people to buy our new system, when it comes out in 6 months even though we have said we are not planning to release such a device repeatedly for 2 years"

Seems legit.

MagnesG

Banned
Last year statement: No plans for new Switch whatsoever.

This year: Not anytime soon.

Expect end 2021 after console bundles sold out.

UnNamed

Banned
Furukawa, from his words, can't announce any other system since they are launching two new SKU ad they're focusing on that in thr next months. But he's clearly hinting at a new model from the Switch family to appeal people who didn't buy Switch and Switch Lite for whatever reason.

The only strange thing is he is referring at this new hardware as the second product, not third, so it's not necessarily a Switch Pro but it could be a total upgrade like a Switch 2. Or maybe, he is simply referring at the current Switch consoles as the portable systems as opposed to a desktop/t system.

kyliethicc

That's how I understand it. Sell a second console to those who already bought one. This probably validates a new iteration of the console that would appeal to people who already bought one.

Also expanding to people who have not bought one yet might mean even more casual stuff.
I kinda think its gonna be a TV only Switch box.

Switch Family, 3 ways to play same games:

Switch Pro $299 - home console, TV mode only, 4K TV support, Pro Controller in-box (not Joy Cons), bit more powerful
Switch $299 - the main hybrid system, dockable, Joy Cons
Switch Lite $199 - handheld mode only, no TV support, built in controls

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
nintendo will never ever ever state that a new switch will come out soon when they are trying to flip stock
the lied one 1 month before releasing a new 3ds model.

their word is worth nothing.
i will get my new switch model this year.
and nintendo can fuck itself

cireza

Banned
I kinda think its gonna be a TV only Switch box.

Switch Family, 3 ways to play same games:

Switch Pro $299 - home console, TV mode only, 4K TV support, Pro Controller in-box (not Joy Cons), bit more powerful
Switch $299 - the main hybrid system, dockable, Joy Cons
Switch Lite $199 - handheld mode only, no TV support, built in controls
They need to allow for game and save transfer for everyone, even without subscription.

FStubbs

If I'm reading anything into this marketing speak, it would be another cheap Switch model a la the Lite that they can sell in underserved markets.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not much reason to believe they’ll be a new system switch is 1st and it’s last gen.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
WTF does this even mean ? Seriously all your posts look they are written by some AI bot.

season 8 episode 10 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
"Not much reason to believe there will be a new system. Switch is the 1st (like in the best seller system) and it's last gen (implying Nintendo doesn't need to bother because they are already selling a fuckton)".

That's my guess at least, and I agree with him. But yeah... he should put a little more effort when posting. ^^u

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Soon in stores: The Nintendo No.U.

The ultimate entertainment system that puts the player in front of the experience.

Top Bottom