• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President comments on the lack of E3 Presentation and says, “the Nintendo Direct format is very effective.”

AnkitDanger

Banned
“In the annual shareholder’s meetings, we have routinely shown a video of E3, which was usually held just before the meeting. But this year, none of the significant industry events are being held because of COVID-19, not only E3, and Nintendo also has no plans for any such occurrences. We intend to use other methods flexibly to deliver the latest information on our products, so please stay tuned. We have continuously released reports, including the announcement of a new fighter for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for Nintendo Switch and the decision by The Pokémon Company of new Pokémon-related titles.

We think the Nintendo Direct format is handy for us to directly and convey information about games to consumers. On the other hand, as the times change, the most effective ways of sending information can also vary, so I think we should always be looking for the best ways of communicating.”
source

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Nintendo Direct?

tenor.gif

jakinov

I don't have the actual numbers. But I'm speculating that most people watching Nintendo directs regularly are big Nintendo enthusiasts. I don't picture the average joe hearing about a Nintendo direct and going to watch it. And I don't picture a lot of PC, Xbox or PlayStation enthusiasts to go and watch them regularly either. I think an E3 centric event would gain them more viewership because of how much it's spotlighted to all enthusiasts and the more casual gamers on YouTube E3 and Twitch E3 and basically all over the Internet.

Even if it might not get the same reach (again I'm speculating, there's no numbers available), I do think the more terse nature and the frequency makes it an effective way to get information to Nintendo enthusiasts. But also the press who then spread it to everybody else thorough articles and publishing videos.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Hey, psst, over here

They're the same thing

Eevee86

Doesn't feel like it even matters any more. They put something out on Twitter and it spreads all over the internet. I'm sure they'll get back to having all their announcements in a package soon enough though.

Zephir

I mean, is there anything else more effective than a Direct?

Outside of sending info into your mind or projecting trailers on the surface of the moon, a video on Youtube is still the best option

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Remember when Switch was supposed to bear the fruits of a consolidated handheld and console division? Yet we have just as many droughts as we've ever seen. Sigh.
I have learned a long time ago. Nintendo= Droughts. It has been this way since the snes. Their first party games are fantastic and great but few and far between. They still struggle with 3rd party support.

yurqqa

I've been looking to buy the switch but holding out to see what they have in store. My last purchase of the wii u has been a big regret because of the poor software support.

You should just check the current library. You won’t get anything radically different in the next couple of years.

I think with switch either you already have tons of games to play (like I have) or it’s not your cup of tea and you shouldn’t buy it.

So you don’t really need the new Direct to make a decision.

UnNamed

Banned
Nintendo Directs: 3 minutes of Doom Eternal, 3 minutes of the new Xenoblade, 3 minutes of NMH3, 25 minutes of Pokemon DLC. Followed by another Pokemon Direct.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Canceling E3 has disrupted Nintendo and Microsoft, SONY has been confident in their own press conferences for years now.

Doczu

So is there a special reason you forgot to drop a Direct in (for what feels like) fucking years, Nintendo?

No, Pkmn directs don't count, or any other direct where you are spending 20 minutes on the most mundane things of 1 title.
Yes, i know this is a Pokecenter. Of course i remember what character Y did in his/her respectible series before getting into Smash. I played enough AC to know i can arrange my GOD DAMN ROOM NINTENDO! YOY PROMISED US THERE WON'T BE DROUGHTS! And we're back at them. At least previosuly we could juggle between two consoles to play...

Doczu

Why do people keep falling for this though? Wii 3.0
Honestly? Because this time they should have it under control.

- It's their second "HD" console, with just a modest spec bump - they had a single gen to "get used to hd development".
- only 1 platform to support, teams aren't spread out.
-the formfactor is friendly to AA titles and games that were made forhandheldgaming - lot of opportunities to push for smaller games to fill the gaps.

But ni, they don't change, we don't learn 🤷🏻‍♂️

GlockSaint

I
You should just check the current library. You won’t get anything radically different in the next couple of years.

I think with switch either you already have tons of games to play (like I have) or it’s not your cup of tea and you shouldn’t buy it.

So you don’t really need the new Direct to make a decision.
I understand what you're trying to say, but i don't think it's that black and white. There are a few good games i would love to buy the switch for but not enough to make me commit, so I'm hopeful Nintendo can sway me somehow.

Canceling E3 has disrupted Nintendo and Microsoft, SONY has been confident in their own press conferences for years now.

Real talk, what is it about SONY fans typing the company name in all caps lately? Not the first time I've seen it. Is that a religious iconography thing?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Doczu

I feel like there is a missed opportunity to say how the Nintendo Direct is Super Effective...
Well the way they are handling Directs right now, It's not effective...

Gone are the days of the Wii U and 3DS directs, i still remember.when they showed Xenoblade for the Wii U...

Top Bottom