• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Life] Nintendo Expects Sales Of 'Evergreen' Games To Decline, Putting A Focus On New Titles

Chittagong

Gold Member

Asked about the trend in an investor Q & A, however, company President Shuntaro Furukawa highlighted the impressive ongoing sales of 'evergreen' games but made it clear that this likely won't be sustainable in the coming years for the Switch. This'll be a natural evolution as the system's generation enters its latter years; with less 'new' owners picking up the system there'll be an equivalent drop in those picking up the highly rated and essential older titles.

The goal, of course, is to pick up any fall-off in evergreen sales with positive results for all-new experiences.

Evergreen titles that were released in previous fiscal years have made up a larger share of overall software sales since the last fiscal year. So far this fiscal year, in the nine months between April and December, titles released in past years comprised approximately 60% of unit sales for first-party software (sell-through, see Note) in major regions. Looking at only the three months between October and December, evergreen titles comprised approximately 50%, due to strong sales of new titles.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Ha! The OG nostalgia pimps are moving on to greener pastures eh? I've got a bridge for sale....

Astral Dog

Makes sense, eventually those games released on year 1 will decline slightly while brand new games should keep the userbase entertained.

I thought he was talking about ip but that doesn’t seem to be the case

blacktout

i believe it when i see it.

Have you seen Nintendo's first party release schedule for this year? It's packed. How many games are they releasing this spring alone? Like 5? 6? 7? (This is an honest question. I don't remember how many were announced at the Direct and Nintendo hasn't updated their website.)

Ha! The OG nostalgia pimps are moving on to greener pastures eh? I've got a bridge for sale....

New titles ≠ New IPs. Nintendo can release dozens of new titles without launching a single new IP. So nostalgia doesn't really have any bearing on the topic at hand.

How about putting your fucking games on sales then lol

They're probably waiting for actual sales declines instead of anticipated ones. This does make me wonder if we might finally see the return of the Players Choice line in the future though.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
They have Kirby, Splatoon, Zelda, Xenoblade 3, Mario Soccer and Wii... I mean Switch Sports. They are going after the install base. Next year will likely be a Mario year.

kingfey

Banned
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Mario kart8 and AC is still selling alot.

Tams

How about putting your fucking games on sales then lol
Why should they devalue their games?

Just because many other developers are stupid enough to do so, doesn't mean they should.

I never understood the need a lot of gamers have for games to be on sale. You do realise how difficult that pressure makes it for developers?

Just because many other developers are stupid enough to do so, doesn't mean they should.

I never understood the need a lot of gamers have for games to be on sale. You do realise how difficult that pressure makes it for developers?
Just speaking for myself, but I don’t live with my parent(s) anymore and therefore don’t have the ability to use all my free money to spend $60 on every game I want the day it comes out.

Also nowadays most games have tons of issues at launch, and are cheaper by the time said issues are fixed/patched later on. Not to mention complete editions/DLC bundles and sales that come out later. So really, early adoption is paying more for a worse product.

Feeling bad for developers is fine but shaming customers for being thrifty is lame. The blame needs to put on publishers setting unreasonable release dates, and sometimes the developers themselves that can’t get their shit together.

Take the studio who made the GTA trilogy for example. They’re a fucking mess and I don’t feel bad for them at all when they did subpar work releasing a bad remaster collection. Arguably Rockstar could’ve given them more money, but I doubt that would’ve helped much in their case.

Chastten

Banned
Just speaking for myself, but I don’t live with my parent(s) anymore and therefore don’t have the ability to use all my free money to spend $60 on every game I want the day it comes out.
As a responsible adult living on yourself you have no need to buy every game the day it comes out though :p

Honestly I'll never understand the price complaints. Games are a luxury product anyone can easily do without. If Nintendo, or Apple, or Alienware, or any expensive clothing or bag or car brand wants to value their products at a premium price then I really don't see the problem with that. If the consumer isn't willing to pay for it then they notice that soon enough and have to adjust.

And living in the Netherlands, I can get most Nintendo games for €40-45 less than 6 months after launch if I want. Not exactly numbers that break the bank.

As a responsible adult living on yourself you have no need to buy every game the day it comes out though :p

Honestly I'll never understand the price complaints. Games are a luxury product anyone can easily do without. If Nintendo, or Apple, or Alienware, or any expensive clothing or bag or car brand wants to value their products at a premium price then I really don't see the problem with that. If the consumer isn't willing to pay for it then they notice that soon enough and have to adjust.

And living in the Netherlands, I can get most Nintendo games for €40-45 less than 6 months after launch if I want. Not exactly numbers that break the bank.
That’s basically what I was getting at yes. I don’t need to buy every new game and waiting to buy them on sale is also more advantageous.

As for price obviously if someone doesn’t want to spend an amount on something then they won’t get it. I’m just saying I’d buy more Switch games if there were decent sales more often because I don’t want to pay $60 for the latest Mario because I don’t value it that much. I’ll buy Bayonetta 3 because I wanna play that though.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That is not what Nintendo is saying.

They are basically saying "the population of planet earth who haven't purchased Mario Kart 8 / Animal Crossing / BOTW is dwindling."

They just mean new games; not new franchises.

Tams

Also nowadays most games have tons of issues at launch, and are cheaper by the time said issues are fixed/patched later on. Not to mention complete editions/DLC bundles and sales that come out later. So really, early adoption is paying more for a worse product.

Feeling bad for developers is fine but shaming customers for being thrifty is lame. The blame needs to put on publishers setting unreasonable release dates, and sometimes the developers themselves that can’t get their shit together.

Take the studio who made the GTA trilogy for example. They’re a fucking mess and I don’t feel bad for them at all when they did subpar work releasing a bad remaster collection. Arguably Rockstar could’ve given them more money, but I doubt that would’ve helped much in their case.
Nor do I. In fact, I have more money for games than I did when I was growing up. If you grew up spoilt, then that's a whole different issue.

Considering we are talking about Nintendo games here, then that's the standard we should be using. And almost all Nintendo games release very polished. That doesn't change the fact that many games cost a lot of money to make and entail a lot of risk. Surely that is worth recognising?

I don't have an issue with games eventually going on sale, if the developers want to put them on sale. The problem I have is with gamers expecting games to go on sale. A bad game like Battlefield 2042 going on sale so quickly and for such a discount is fine; it's a terribly broken game. Ultimately it is up to the developers and publishers to decide what is best (for them, as it's their product).

So, I'm not blaming up all gamers, all the time. But we too often see 'Haha, well I game on PC so I just get them all on sale!' or 'PC gaming is better because all the games are cheap!' We're seeing such flawed arguments with the Steam Deck. And that from sales that many people have massive backlogs that they will never finish is a devaluation of the games that were in those sales.

If Nintendo (or anyone else) want to keep the value of their games by not dropping prices, then that's their choice. If they go to far, then yes, us the consumers will punish them for it by not buying their games. But for the likes of Nintendo games, people seem quite happy to buy them.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Some games go on sale though.

WW HD is $20 on the Wii U eShop. Same with Mario 3D World. Devil's Third is $30. Yoshi's Wooly World is $30, Pikmin 3 is $30, Captain Toad isn't full price, etc.

If Nintendo sold MK8 for $30 on the switch I'd pick it up. I already own it on Wii U and have the DLC, I'm not buying the game at full price again to pay for things I already own.

Sales can be beneficial.

Last edited:

Tams

Some games go on sale though.

WW HD is $20 on the Wii U eShop. Same with Mario 3D World. Devil's Third is $30. Yoshi's Wooly World is $30, Pikmin 3 is $30, Captain Toad isn't full price, etc.

If Nintendo sold MK8 for $30 on the switch I'd pick it up. I already own it on Wii U and have the DLC, I'm not buying the game at full price again to pay for things I already own.

Sales can be beneficial.
I never said they never went on sale.

Bear in mind, the almost all of those games you listed are secondary or even tertiary Nintendo games. Hell, Captain Toad was never the primary game full price.

spons

Gold Member

What's in it for you to care about the value of a video game? Seriously: why do you personally give a shit about the prices of Nintendo's first-party games?

Nor do I. In fact, I have more money for games than I did when I was growing up. If you grew up spoilt, then that's a whole different issue.

Considering we are talking about Nintendo games here, then that's the standard we should be using. And almost all Nintendo games release very polished. That doesn't change the fact that many games cost a lot of money to make and entail a lot of risk. Surely that is worth recognising?

I don't have an issue with games eventually going on sale, if the developers want to put them on sale. The problem I have is with gamers expecting games to go on sale. A bad game like Battlefield 2042 going on sale so quickly and for such a discount is fine; it's a terribly broken game. Ultimately it is up to the developers and publishers to decide what is best (for them, as it's their product).

So, I'm not blaming up all gamers, all the time. But we too often see 'Haha, well I game on PC so I just get them all on sale!' or 'PC gaming is better because all the games are cheap!' We're seeing such flawed arguments with the Steam Deck. And that from sales that many people have massive backlogs that they will never finish is a devaluation of the games that were in those sales.

If Nintendo (or anyone else) want to keep the value of their games by not dropping prices, then that's their choice. If they go to far, then yes, us the consumers will punish them for it by not buying their games. But for the likes of Nintendo games, people seem quite happy to buy them.
Nah I wasn’t spoiled I just started working when I was like 15 and only had to worry about helping with rent, so I had the money (and irresponsibility) to spend on anything I felt like. But I realize that may start to sound like some sort of humble brag which is not my intention, so I digress.

I don’t really buy the “devalue” angle; it’s just supply and demand. GC and WiiU didn’t do so hot and therefore the games went down in price way faster. Wii and Switch did gangbusters so Nintendo can get away with charging people full price until the end of the gen because they know parents will pay anything to get their kids Mario and Pokémon, along with the diehard fans.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Not to defend the prices, but it's common sense to roll with the market. Cutting prices of games that continue to sell doesn't make sense.

If you don't like Nintendo's prices, then buy from someone else. I'd have more sympathy if we could demonstrate foul play to dissaude Amazon/Target/Gamestop/Walmart from charging less than full price.

Moonjt9

What's in it for you to care about the value of a video game? Seriously: why do you personally give a shit about the prices of Nintendo's first-party games?
My Nintendo collection obviously. I unironically love the fact that I can buy a Nintendo game and twenty years later it’s worth the same or more. Rather than my 2 dollar PS3 games.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
creating new blockbuster IP may be hard for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Holammer

Fucking insider lingo. What is an evergreen title?
If you read the article, you'd get it from context, just sayin'!
Evergreen trees are green year round. Evergreen games keep making a profit for long periods of time and even across hardware generations. Like GTA or MK8 in this case.
Most games make the lion's share of the profit in the first weeks, after that it rapidly tapers off with the occasional bumps during sales. Dropping their proverbial leaves.

Top Bottom