• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is rumored to be asking developers to make their games 4K-Ready! Incoming Switch Pro?

Kdad

This is what my 11 year old "inner self" thinks about your comment.

7F2SHtW.jpg

In all seriousness though my son, who is 11, is well aware of how crappy his version of Minecraft is on the Switch vs the XBox or even PC. We are a multi platform family. He prefers the Switch, because it's portable and he has friends who only have the Switch version that can't play anywhere else. He is constantly complaining about the graphics and how slow it runs. He would be overjoyed if he got an upgraded Minecraft experience on the Switch Pro/2 due to more processing power.
Your son needs better friends

Astral Dog

Noooo. Not before 20 years at least... at best. It's Nintendo we're talking about and Switch owners don't want anything better than 720p in 2020, and don't want an oled screen. They will need power for that and dudes don't want power, art vs power.
It's soooooo fake! 😂
Its a mobile screen I wouldn't complain about 720p if the games ran at native resolution on it, i fear when Nintendo upgrades to 1080p on Switch 2 they will have lots of sub native 720p games to push graphics over iq like they are doing now. And third party miracle ports at sub 720p again.

cryptoadam

Banned
4K ready?

hmm

4 K(art) ready, Mario Kart 8 Ultimate Deluxe Complete Universal Final Edition coming to Switch. Gotta sell another 30 million copies of the game.

Most likely some sort of DLSS implementation as a dry run for Switch 2 that will be full on DLSS.

An early 2021 launch would make sense to combat the new shiney of PS5 and XBOX Seires.

LordOfChaos

So much pooping on "fake" 4K. Yall, DLSS could be the best thing a Switch Pro has going for it with results this good. A modest GPU bump running most Switch games at 900-1080p would still look great reconstructed to 4K. Obviously a sub 400Gflop part isn't going to jump to native 4K, but this would still be a god tier upgrade for the Switch.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Here’s a wrinkle: as I understand it, DLSS originally had to be trained on the game to which it was being applied; but DLSS 2.0 is more general-purpose. I.e.: Nintendo’s rumored request to developers only seems to suggest DLSS if we’re talking about the older approach.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’m ready man got so many Switch games that would look mind blowing with a simple res boost. Will get that Pro on release day

Ten_Fold

What I want: Ps4 pro/xbox one X powered switch.

what I’ll probably get: 4K or 1440p upgrade and MAYBE a slight bump in graphics.

Zannegan

Mmmmh...speculations...less or more then series s?
Way less. We're talking Switch-level games at 4K, and then probably through DLSS.

Personally, I'd be happy to see them do a consistent 1080p with a smooth frame rate. Anything above that is icing on the cake. Honestly, if they could deliver 1080p on the go and 4K docked using DLSS I'd be more than happy to upgrade. I just hope the joycons also get a significant upgrade.

Zannegan

Remember this?

0V1LBX3.jpg

Not a Switch Pro...a Dock Pro.
The only problem with that is (caveat: as I understand it) that the bandwidth of the Switch's USB-C isn't wide enough to support both a second gpu and a video screen. And if it's just upscaling, there would be no reason to touch up the games themselves. Whereas (again, as I understand it), there are some things you can do to a game to optimize it for DLSS, like Control and that Wolfestein sequel.

Or maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see. Lol. I would be much less interested in a special dock than a whole-hog hardware revision. That said, I would certainly look into a special dock that WAS a hardware revision though, like that console-dock we've been talking about for a couple of years.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

As long as it's better than the mid generation half assed upgrade that New 3DS and PS4 Pro ended up being. New 3DS had Xenoblade which makes your eyes bleed and some Super Nintendo games. PS4 Pro is ugly as fuck, and sometimes sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Many games including some first party ones never got a Pro upgrade

Last edited:
Nintendo back in the power race is sorely needed. Hope all of this is true if only as a stepping stone to get their feet wet on what it takes for future generations.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
The only problem with that is (caveat: as I understand it) that the bandwidth of the Switch's USB-C isn't wide enough to support both a second gpu and a video screen.

It’s above my pay grade but I think DLSS only needs access to the rendered frame to do its magic, so the Switch’s current capability of outputting video over USB might suffice.

And if it's just upscaling, there would be no reason to touch up the games themselves.

Yeah, if we’re talking DLSS 2.0. It’s possible 2.0 still gets better results when trained on the game at native res, or maybe Nintendo just needs some true 4K demos to test its solution against. But you’re right, DLSS makes for an awkward interpretation of the rumor.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
4K on Switch would be a waste of silicon and a unreasonable high price.

1440p, maybe with DLSS, have more sense.

Well let them waste silicon then! I want one and I have money. If you don’t they have a product for you. It’s called a switch...

Audiophile

Nintendo should hit NVidia up for some Tensor Cores & DLSS2+. It makes sense for their platform more than anyone else, a cluster of tensor cores and DLSS2.0 as standard across all their games would be massively more efficient than going 2-4x on compute.

nordique

Rumours suggest a new switch will be similar in power to a baseline ps4 which would be incredible for a portable system

does nvidia have a portable chip that would fit? Or might they be making something custom for Nintendo?

otakugamer

Neo Member
Rumours suggest a new switch will be similar in power to a baseline ps4 which would be incredible for a portable system

does nvidia have a portable chip that would fit? Or might they be making something custom for Nintendo?

will FDG Entertainment account in twitter , if you following the context there a hint that new switch is possible

more powerful than ps4 pro , i know its insane but till now we dont know will new switch will be hybrid system or

console system , and not mention what NVIDIA did with new GPU , so its not insane to think they have ability create

gpu for new switch home console overpower amd RDNA 2 in both PS5 and X-SeriesX

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Anyone else wonder what exactly is “ making your game 4K ready” would entail? Without new dev kits this would be a dumb statement to make. It doesn’t mean anything.

Karmic Raze

I’d buy a 4K Switch. What turned me off from the Switch wasn’t the games, but the subpar screen quality and the graphics. Give me better options for both and you have my money.

Last edited:

Bridges

Remember this?

0V1LBX3.jpg

Not a Switch Pro...a Dock Pro.
I could get behind this. I will buy an $80-$150 dock if games look better on the 4K TV, but that isn't worth $300+ for a new machine. Especially looking at the DSi and New 3DS and how little their enhancements actually mattered to their future releases, I don't trust Nintendo's track record with this stuff at all.

Top Bottom