• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is rumored to be asking developers to make their games 4K-Ready! Incoming Switch Pro?

Nintendo life is reporting that Nintendo may be gearing up to release an updated Switch, the Switch Pro, by asking developers to make their games 4K-ready!

I've been waiting to purchase another Switch, preferably the Pro, so hopefully we'll get one soon, possibly by the time BOTW 2 comes out. Makes sense with the next-gen consoles coming in two months from Sony and MS.

Link.

Shrap

giphy.gif

Compsiox

Banned
It's weird to think Switch is probably the end all platform for Nintendo. They'll probably just keep pumping out upgraded Switches for the foreseeable future because nothing else they do would sell better.

A mobile home console combo can't be beat by them I think.

Last edited:
Noooo. Not before 20 years at least... at best. It's Nintendo we're talking about and Switch owners don't want anything better than 720p in 2020, and don't want an oled screen. They will need power for that and dudes don't want power, art vs power.
It's soooooo fake! 😂

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Even if there is a Switch Pro, I doubt it'll go to 4k (upscaling is different, and they wouldn't ask the games to be 4K ready or whatever bs for it). How about a steady 1080p for all those dynamic resolution (and framerate, ha) games before starting to consider that, lol.

Maybe a Switch 2 would go to 4K, or not as it has to be a portable hybrid again and provide a good bump in visual fidelity beyond the resolution itself (it would suck if games can render in 4K but have to look like Switch games in terms of complexity to achieve that).

And it's too soon for Switch 2. A refresh is likely given everybody's doing that the last years (and Nintendo more so) but more like the New 3DS than something that will result in such a vast difference, almost a generational leap (yet forcing its use just for resolution).

Last edited:

Ogbert

I can see a revision happening.

The Switch 'family' of consoles is going to sail well, well past 100 million in sales.

Im excited to see Nintendo finally moving to give us enthusiasts some love. Haven't had a Nintendo console since Wii.

With the Mario collections, Metroid Prime 4 and library continuing to expand, and potentially 4k coming soon, I will have to cop one at launch.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
LOL. The next system will be 1080p with upscaling. They will get better framerate and put more stuff on the screen. I would like it if the switch2 can use switch accessories but also includes redesigned joycons.

Orta

Banned
Maybe it was just me but that Hyrule Warriors video they showed yesterday looked a lot cleaner and higher res than most Switch games???

Could be something or as I said, could just be my brain not working properly.

Compsiox

Banned
While I do personally agree, I´d like to remember you that this is Nintendo after all. You never know what that corporation will brew up next, they are very creative and unpredictable at the same time.
I think we'll see more peripherals like Labo. Nintendo will still do Nintendo things but with the financial security of the Switch family.

Last edited:
Zero chance. We should be happy if we're even getting a 1080p capable console (docked, that is) but I'm not holding my breath for that either.

When have they ever offered anything more than a modest upgrade? 4k would require what, like.. 5-10 times the power of the Switch? Sure

Last edited:

lo zaffo

Indies developers listening to Nintendo PR sheets are poor as hell and they can only afford hw agnostic developments. Others SW content sellers do not listen to Nintendo PR sheets. So, it is ok the way it goes.

sublimit

Banned
I hope it happens.I only have a Switch Lite (it was gifted to me) so a Switch Pro would be a great addition for when wanting to play on a tv.

yurinka

4K? Why not 16K?

If they make a Switch Pro, I'd just include a chip to automatically scale from 720p or 1080p to 4K using DLSS with no extra requirements to devs. And then include a faster CPU/GPU and allow devs to optionally use a boost mode as PS4 Pro does to get higher framerates.

Last edited:

tkscz

Still curious on what Nintendo and nVidia chose to go with if Nintendo is "readying for 4k"?

Xavier (Volta) or Orin (Ampere).

If Xavier, this 4k is purely DLSS as both chipsets are capable of it (Xavier was actually the first chip with Tensor cores).

If Orin, then it may actually be capable of some level of 4k (like checker boarding).

Honestly, from power, energy, and business perspectives, Orin is the better way to go. It's more costly to restart production on larger (12nm) chips that have been out of production than to go with smaller chips that are currently in production. Plus Ampere is far more power efficient than Volta. Nintendo has always been about battery life, cost savings and being "just powerful enough", and Ampere would fit that.

Of course it's Nintendo, so they probably asked for something silly like just slapping the Xavier NX nano on a costume board.

Type_Raver

If this is true... Probably still rendered at 1080p with higher fidelity, upscaled to 4k.

My bar is set at this, if it can't run Cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p/30, then its going to be disappointing.

00_Zer0

It's weird to think Switch is probably the end all platform for Nintendo. They'll probably just keep pumping out upgraded Switches for the foreseeable future because nothing else they do would sell better.

A mobile home console combo can't be beat by them I think.
Nintendo definitely found their sweet spot with the Switch. Funny thing is I don't like using it for mobile or portable usage. I use it as a home console. Most games I get for it are exclusive, but I also get some of the old school games like arcade archives, and some of the old school 2D style games on it instead of the other consoles, because those games feel right at home on the Switch.

Top Bottom