• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo hate money? Why is the switch lite still so hard to find?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I live in a heavily populated area in the States. I had to search far and wide and could not find a switch lite in stock anywhere in my area. I happen to get beyond lucky and found just one sitting on a shelf on my 7th department store. (It was pink but hey if you love females you must love the pink :)

Going online its' even worse. Despite them retailing for $200, Amazon and Walmart have them listed for $250-$300+ most of the time. Gamestop is a horrible company but even they are sold out.

It is a very sweet piece of technology and deserves to be praised but why is it still hard to find?

Has Nintendo been struggling with production with them or Are the lite's that popular they can't keep up with demand?

F31 Leopard

My local Wal-Mart (Hawai'i) just got Lites, Regular Switches and Ring Fit. I snagged Ring Fit finally. I went back 2 days later to buy TP and checked the electronics dept out of curiosity and all the Lites were gone🤷.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In my honest opinion why would you buy Switch lite? With OG Switch you can still play games in portable while gives you option to play games on TV. To me Switch Lite still no were near as portable as 3DS in order to sacrifice TV mode and there are games like Astral Chain that just better play it with Pro controller, which you would no longer have option with lite.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
In my honest opinion why would you buy Switch lite? With OG Switch you can still play games in portable while gives you option to play games on TV. To me Switch Lite still no were near as portable as 3DS in order to sacrifice TV mode and there are games like Astral Chain that just better play it with Pro controller, which you would no longer have option with lite.
The lite is a better handheld in every way compared to the OG.

if used as a handheld.

otherwise 100% go for the normal model

Spukc

I personally use both handheld and TV, especially for action heavy games like Astral Chain and Bayonetta, I like to use pro controller.
I keep the OG docked.
and yes pro con is a must have
handheld lite only 😇

if anything might help.
Lite has higher DPI.

same reason i prefered the normal new 3DS vs the new 3DS XL

Last edited:

Danjin44

Higher dpi 😎
I have this for my Switch, sure its "less portable" but its much, MUCH more comfortable to play and I only bring my Switch outside when I go vacation, which in that case I just carry it in my big bag.
screenshot-2019-06-12-at-09-08-19.900x.jpg

Impotaku

Considering how crap the joysticks are for lasting it would be madness to get a lite, least with an OG switch if the sticks crap out and drift you can replace the joycons. With a lite you are fucked you would have to either send it to nintendo for drift repair or open that sucker up yourself..

Spukc

I have this for my Switch, sure its "less portable" but its much, MUCH more comfortable to play and I only bring my Switch outside when I go vacation, which in that case I just carry it in my big bag.
Looks way more comfy then the normal one!

Danjin44

Looks way more comfy then the normal one!
It is comfy and feels much better to play than more expensive Joy-cons. Only downside is, it doesn’t have HD rumple and it won’t work unless it’s attached to the system.

DESTROYA

It looks ridiculous and it is huge.
It looks great and size is a plus.
You can get a much better grip and is more comfortable to hold. I use both my OG Joycons (that still work like new) and the HORI split pad for more extended sessions . I have big hands and these are a godsend.

shit is everywhere here in europe people aint buying the lite

Indeed, normal + lites have been on stock every time I have been on regular super markets.

Funny how USA have them out of stock so often, like on launch. While at here they werent sold out even on lauch day from my + other experiences.

So either they are restocking EU faster, or should supply more of the units to USA

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Because the lite is better as a unified body and much more comfortable as a portable device.

I use my ps4 as "dock mode"

Last edited:

Woopah

Big increase in demand at the same time as a decrease in supply. Things should be sorted by the end of September but no idea if they'll be able to meet holiday demand.

Danjin44

I use my ps4 as "dock mode"
My point was there are just some Switch games like Bayonetta and Astral Chain that are better played with pro controller, I don't know about you but I don't want to play Bayonetta 3 with joy-cons.

And to me honestly those Daemon X Machina Joy-cons feels and plays much better than normal ones.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like my switch rails are going to snap with these things.

tillbot8

Banned
Nintendo must be really embarrassed that their model for losing money is catastrophic. All them horrible dirty wads of cash being crammed by the truck load in their modest little head office. At least they can wipe their tears with them!

Poop!

I *only* play my switch in portable when I'm on call at work. I have a launch unit that goes to the TV but my kids have taken that one over. The switch lite was perfect for my needs. Shoot, I even bought the wife one for her Animal Crossing. We have 4 units total. 3 lites and one launch unit.

Trimesh

Banned
Has Nintendo been struggling with production with them or Are the lite's that popular they can't keep up with demand?

They are popular, but the biggest problem is that TSMC (who fab the Tegra chip in the Switch) have a huge production backlog right now and nVidia (who presumably have a fixed-price contract with Nintendo) don't want to pay the large amount of money it would cost to persuade one of TSMCs other customers to release fab time to them. Especially since one of the few customers that has TSMC production capacity they can reschedule is AMD (because they have large standing orders for console APUs), and you can be quite sure they wouldn't do nVidia any favors.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I ALWAYS play my Wii U in handheld mode. I can understand.

Pallas

Gold Member
I was lucky and was able to find a lite back in April at GameStop online. Check their site they randomly get in small stocks of both the regular and lite Switches. I think it was about two weeks ago they had some Switch regular bundles online but they went pretty fast, I was trying to help a friend find a regular switch.

Trimesh

Banned
if they had any sense they'd discontinue it. it's a gimped cheap ass Switch. nobody should be buying it.

But people clearly DO buy them - and in large numbers, which would make discontinuing them an utterly retarded thing to do. Especially since the less people spend on hardware the more money they have to spend on much higher margin software SKUs.

Max_Po

Banned
Have you been living under a rock? Corona hit their production facilities in China and they've struggled with their supply chain ever since. They've only recently bounced back with production.

Switch is manufactured in Vietnam and the power adapter in Philippines

Trimesh

Banned
Really? Because on my Switch is says "Made in China".

He's probably in the US - a lot of the big CMs have set up satellite plants to do final assembly in places like Vietnam because that way you still have access to the Chinese supply chain, but can still ship units to the US that aren't affected by the tarrifs.

They still typically end up more expensive ex-works than the China made ones do (the labor is cheaper in places like Vietnam, but the logistic costs are higher and so is the cost of carrying WIP inventory) but as long as the extra cost on the supply end is more than offset by the savings on the tariffs it still makes sense to do it.

The other downside is that this adds extra fragility to the supply chain - one other popular location for these satellite plants was in Malaysia - but they started to get hit by COVID-19 shortly after the Chinese plants were getting back to normal - so you had (already delayed) WIP inventory being shipped to Malaysia, where it got further delayed because a bunch of the plants there were closed.

Impotaku

I don't get why some people seem to hate the Lite. If you don't care about docking, it's a superior device with a much better design and construction than the OG model.
Till the sticks start eventually drifting, the problem still happens on lites too. Nothing superior about it.

Top Bottom