• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has to be the most frustrating company when it comes to playing Older titles

Knightime_X

Playing Dolphin is mindblowing. Now that I have that up and running I really don't care what Nintendo does.
This is the correct answer.
Emulation does what Nintendon't.
Nintendo is too dense to see that the demand is there but fail constantly to act on it with quality and competence.

SCB3

The best way to play the Metroid Prime series is Primehack, full stop. You get mouse/keyboard controls, 4k60 rendering, improved textures, adjustable FOV, better load times, etc.
Just been looking at that to use with an xbox controller, it may be the way to go and it can upscale to 1080p as well

Zeroing

Banned
My take, the more legacy games you have, the more complicated it gets due to emulation, licensing etc but sometimes is just apathy from the company. Nintendo always takes the route of “do less and expect some results.”

Kataploom

Gold Member
AFAIK, as long as Nintendo don't provide an actual way to purchase and play the games, you're ok just downloading a ROM from internet and emulating it, since it doesn't count as piracy because they're not loosing money on the download, it's basically abandonware.

That's why they go for the "copyright violation using their logos and trademarked characters" when pulling down ROMS download sites, which some basically avoid by removing Nintendo games.

Not sure about this tho, but almost... like 90% sure this is how it works.

BTW, Nintendo and the switch (not pun intended) to cartdridge is what basically killed BC on their consoles, they were very good on all their haldhelds and consoles from GC to Wii U.

Naked Lunch

I gave up waiting around for Nintendo - busted out my old consoles from storage - researched upscalers, cables, and flashcarts/ODEs.
Now I have every game ever released on Nintendo consoles from NES/SNES/GB/GBA/N64 to Gamecube playable they way they were intended but on an HDTV with crispy pixels.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
yea, people seem to target Sony more often for some reason.
I mean yeah they should get a lot of flack for the things that they do but not this. Nintendo doesn't allow any backwards compatibility. Im still waiting on Wii U, GameCube and maybe 3DS. Still at least Sony and especially Microsoft cares about preserving.

BlackTron

The Wii U wins high marks for the sheer breadth of its utility, playing damn-near EVERYTHING including Gamecube games natively.

But it's the most ugly, slow, clunky, annoying, eye-rollingly full of hubris system I can imagine. The OS is slow, the Gamepad is bulky, toyish and cumbersome with a terrible battery, while still required to use for even entering system settings/options...it's sort of a Frankenstein system that just so happens to play almost any Nintendo title so we deal with its head-scratching design decisions and poor QoL design.

I have a Wii U, modded it, and I've been okay letting my niece have it for years while getting some standards back in my life with an SNES Classic, Switch, and the real 64/Wii ready to go. The Wii U is a viable option, yes, but you can get a much better overall user experience with a combination of other stuff. Up to you what's worth the effort.

Umbasaborne

Banned
edit: i typed this when i was frustrated about something else. It was unnecessarily hostile. Im sorry.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
The Wii U wins high marks for the sheer breadth of its utility, playing damn-near EVERYTHING including Gamecube games natively.

But it's the most ugly, slow, clunky, annoying, eye-rollingly full of hubris system I can imagine. The OS is slow, the Gamepad is bulky, toyish and cumbersome with a terrible battery, while still required to use for even entering system settings/options...it's sort of a Frankenstein system that just so happens to play almost any Nintendo title so we deal with its head-scratching design decisions and poor QoL design.

I have a Wii U, modded it, and I've been okay letting my niece have it for years while getting some standards back in my life with an SNES Classic, Switch, and the real 64/Wii ready to go. The Wii U is a viable option, yes, but you can get a much better overall user experience with a combination of other stuff. Up to you what's worth the effort.

First thing I brought for my Wii U Was the higher capacity gamepad battery. The stock one won't last a decent gaming session.

theclaw135

Banned
While labels like XBLA, VC, and PS1 classics, with their quirky rules (50MB limit?) are a thing of the past...

Not everything needs "remastering" to be a viable budget release either. Nintendo has little to lose from arranging simple ports of games that don't have roadblocks such as motion controls or dual screens. Wave Race Blue Storm perhaps.

Many titles more desirable to core fans, oh Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and F-Zero GX I wish, carry the formality of needing Intelligent Systems or other companies to sign off on them.

Urban

I'm surprised, but it does seem to be pretty agreed with
yeah i agree with you too. Nintendo doesn't want my money and its just mind baffling. Im still waiting for a Full HD Version of Windwaker and Dreaming of a 4K version

Top Bottom