• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Nintendo has practically eradicated PlayStation" from Japanese market | 99% of game sales of 2021 in Japan is switch

Thirty7ven

Banned
Terrible take and analysis. Mobile eradicated home consoles.

Japanese game creators are thankful they can reach out into the the rest of the world where the business is wealthy, otherwise they would all be stuck making shitty mobile games.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
PS5 design is the last nail in the coffin of Playstation.

In Japan religion, things have "chi", what means that theres good or bad spirit in things; Nintendo Switch is just beautiful and sweet, ps5 is huge like the gates of mordor, mishappen like a truck just run over.

PS5 will be kicked out the japanese market some years, because very stupid design. Besides, there´s no more interesting exclusives games por Japan; god of war, the last of us... all boring games for japanese.

PS5.jpg

They see this monster and they think: "....no"

Sony just shot themselves in the foot, I'm an expert.

Javthusiast

Banned
Maybe, just maybe, consoles are dying out over there and no matter how many great games you try to pump out on sony consoles over there, a mobile nintendo system would still be king.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
LMAO this thread,

All these these gamers in here about Nintendo vs Sony popularity contest, all concerned about japan's taste in games. while I'm watching a vtuber mimicking the turtle from Sonic Adventure 2. Lolz

Thirty7ven

Banned
Maybe, just maybe, consoles are dying out over there and no matter how many great games you try to pump out on sony consoles over there, a mobile nintendo system would still be king.

Because that’s not true. What is true is that the market has fully shifted into mobile, therefore Nintendo is the one reaping the rewards.

The PSP sold 20 million units in Japan...

FStubbs

Because that’s not true. What is true is that the market has fully shifted into mobile, therefore Nintendo is the one reaping the rewards.

The PSP sold 20 million units in Japan...
Vita sold a little under 6 million in Japan, and that's with almost no support. The problem a third handheld would've run into though, is that Sony's main differentiator was that their handhelds were a generation ahead of Nintendo's in power. A theoretical Vita successor would have been about the same power as the Switch.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Vita sold a little under 6 million in Japan, and that's with almost no support. The problem a third handheld would've run into though, is that Sony's main differentiator was that their handhelds were a generation ahead of Nintendo's in power. A theoretical Vita successor would have been about the same power as the Switch.

Not saying it’s as simple as spitting out a mobile platform. Nintendo’s strategy has paid off and their history with handhelds has served them well.

Last edited:

TheMan

I just can’t believe this, it’s just too extreme. And without being able to read the article to get deets I’m skeptical

zedinen

Nintendo dominates the J2 League, the second division.

Switch unit software sales in Japan are weak as the country is too busy playing Sony's FGO, Monster Strike, etc.

PS1 Software Unit Sales (Japan)
LTD 286.0 million
LTD 4,944 software titles

Switch Software Unit Sales (Japan)
LTD 98.89 million
LTD 782 software titles

Why would PlayStation, after generating massive cash flow in the 2010s, invest in a lost cause when its sister Aniplex is raking in ¥billions?

The best thing that happened to PlayStation and Sony Corp is Nintendo wasting energy on a dying market.

FY2008 Gaming Revenue (full year)
1.Nintendo $18.47 bn
2.Sony $10.74 bn

Cash on Hand (Mar 2009)
1.Nintendo $12.42 bn
2.Sony $11.48 bn

FY2020 Gaming Revenue (nine months)
1.Sony $19.80 bn
-PS $18.82 bn
-Aniplex $0.98 bn
2.Nintendo $13.24 bn

Cash on Hand (Dec 2020)
1.Sony $44.80 bn
2.Nintendo $14.63 bn

K1Expwy

So Switch is selling roughly (for the sake of argument) as well as PS2 or NDS did in JP. That's fantastic, for Nintendo.
But PS2 sold well, GBA sold well, and Gamecube sold moderately, along with middling sales from Xbox, Wonderswan etc.
And NDS sold well alongside the successful PSP, moderately successful PS3, okay-selling 360.

Those are healthy markets, this is not. It's sad how much Japan's "traditional" market has shrunk, losing ground to smartphones. Thankfully Switch has been a runaway hit, and hopefully Nintendo can keep the momentum going with their next hardware

cosmicom

Banned
top 10 best selling games in Spain:

Etc5G4MXcAAUgY5

Spain was a country owned by playstation, until now. Switch is making to sony big damage in all fronts.

The problem of playstation is this: sony exclusives. Games as the last of us 2 or god of war are awarded by media and fanatics, so ordinary consumers spend their money in those games to discover they are boring. So they lost interest in playstation, and then they play switch games and enjoy. That´s what i have seen in Spain over and over again,

Last edited:
I wonder just how many people in Japan actually carry around their Switch and use it somewhere outside their home. When I was in Japan in 2018 I saw lots and lots of people play games on their phones, along with the occasional DS/3DS and PSP/Vita. I didn't see a single person with a Switch in two weeks. Sure, there weren't as many around back then as there are now, but I still thought it was weird even then.

People had been calling out with your bullshit cash flow cope. please stop posting this kind of stupidity without knowing how to properly read the financial statement of the whole Sony division.

Switch unit software sales in Japan are weak as the country is too busy playing Sony's FGO, Monster Strike, etc.

LTD 286.0 million

LTD 98.89 million
LTD 782 software titles

Why would PlayStation, after generating massive cash flow in the 2010s, invest in a lost cause when its sister Aniplex is raking in ¥billions?

The best thing that happened to PlayStation and Sony Corp is Nintendo wasting energy on a dying market.

1.Nintendo $18.47 bn
2.Sony $10.74 bn

Cash on Hand (Mar 2009)
1.Nintendo $12.42 bn
2.Sony $11.48 bn

1.Sony $19.80 bn
-PS $18.82 bn
-Aniplex $0.98 bn
2.Nintendo $13.24 bn

Cash on Hand (Dec 2020)
1.Sony $44.80 bn
2.Nintendo $14.63 bn

Japanese game creators are thankful they can reach out into the the rest of the world where the business is wealthy, otherwise they would all be stuck making shitty mobile games.

Nier Automata on Switch wouldn't be possible.
So Switch is selling roughly (for the sake of argument) as well as PS2 or NDS did in JP. That's fantastic, for Nintendo.
But PS2 sold well, GBA sold well, and Gamecube sold moderately, along with middling sales from Xbox, Wonderswan etc.
And NDS sold well alongside the successful PSP, moderately successful PS3, okay-selling 360.

Those are healthy markets, this is not. It's sad how much Japan's "traditional" market has shrunk, losing ground to smartphones. Thankfully Switch has been a runaway hit, and hopefully Nintendo can keep the momentum going with their next hardware

My problem with the Switch is that its extremely underpowered hardware. Sure its better than smartphones but it won't push gaming forward. The power gap between a PS5 and the Switch is vast.

Last edited:

cosmicom

Banned

My problem with the Switch is that its extremely underpowered hardware. Sure its better than smartphones but it won't push gaming forward. The power gap between a PS5 and the Switch is vast.
Kids today dont care about graphics, but fun games. And they enjoy 1000 times more games as mario kart than any sony exclusive.

This is also a generational issue: kids today care about fun games, gamers of 35-45 care about graphics and muscles of kratos.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Kids today dont care about graphics, but fun games. And they enjoy 1000 times more games as mario kart than any sony exclusive.

This is also a generational issue: kids today care about fun games, gamers of 35-45 care about graphics and muscles of kratos.
True testament, just look at how Fortnite, Roblox and Minecraft thrives.

Last edited:

x@3f*oo_e!

What part ? Bayonetta and Bayonetta2 ran on WiiU, Astral Chain came out on switch.

Power hasn't done anything for gaming. BOTW (object physics system that you can use) or Minecraft (fully modifyable 3d landscape, full water simulation), Fortnite (build/destroy structures realtime in game) have more depth than the average AAA game, and run on POTATO

Modern AAA game is often just a point at thing and press action to shoot in third/third person.

MayauMiao

How is PS5 push gaming forward? I am truly baffled at this statement.

x@3f*oo_e!

How is PS5 push gaming forward? I am truly baffled at this statement.
Got another groundbreaking feature in the controller. To go with the old ones like light bar, gyro, speaker, touch pad that even Sony first party games don't use..

(this time it will be different)

Last edited:

I know, the Japanese gaming industry that I grew up with is dead. Sony can't revive it.

Celine

LTD 98.89 million
LTD 782 software titles
I wouldn't call NSW software sales weak.
Even if until now NSW had worse third-party support than 3DS, it's outpacing it.
After 16 quarters 3DS software sales were 82.50 million units in Japan whereas NSW sits at 98.89 million units.
Even better for Nintendo while at this point in time 3DS software sales momentum was slowing down, for NSW it's likely that next FY the software sales will be even higher than those in the current fiscal year.
3DS ended up with software sales of around 140 million units in Japan but for Switch the potential is much higher, maybe it could have a chance toward 200 million units.
To put it in perspective how impressive it would be just consider that in the whole history of the japanese console gaming market the only consoles which sold more than 190 million units of software were the Famicom, Super Famicom, PS1, PS2 and Nintendo DS.
It's a small club of "all conquering" consoles.

Here how bad third-party support was for Switch in the the earlier years:
rWGnfMe.jpg

Last edited:

Woopah

Also Japan isn’t Nintendo land, it never has been, its portable land lol.
Of course a hybrid console/portable is gonna sell more, like how mobiles are beating the switch in sales...
In Japan the biggest franchises right now are Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest and several Nintendo IP. This is true regardless of what type of platform they release on.
Pretty simple. Japan prefers handhelds. The last home console that preformed exceptionally well was the PS2. Even the Wii, which seemed to be right up Japan's alley, only did marginally better than the much more expensive PS3. 12M vs 10M.

In the end, I only expect the PS5 to do 8M-9M in Japan. That's much better than some of the doomsayers are speculating based foolishly on numbers of a sold out product with little supply, yet.
The Wii started off selling much stronger than the PSP though. That only changed when the PSP's software situation improved thanks to Monster Hunter breaking out. It's software that drives hardware sales much more so than form factor.
The AAA market is dead in Japan. Young people grew up with mobile, minigames and gachas. That's all they know and they don't want anything else.
Final Fantasy, Zelda, Smash Bros. Monster Hunter and other AAA titles continue to sell a lot in Japan. The market isn't dead.

Japan is the 2nd largest market in the world for dedicated video game devices and experiencing year on year growth. Plus the hybrid Switch is more popular than the handheld only Switch so gaming on TVs is very much not "eradicated". Mobile has nothing to do with it.

Switch is on track to be the 2nd best selling platform ever in Japan. The traditional gaming mark is growing, not shrinking.

Celine

Also Japan isn’t Nintendo land, it never has been, its portable land lol.
Japan is peculiar in the sense that in no other major market for console gaming one publisher, which is also a platform holder, own such a huge market share in term of software sales compared to all the other publishers combined.
In 2020 Nintendo+Pokemon Co. were responsible for more than 50% of the physical software sales in Japan, it's absurd.
This is a combination of two opposing trend: Nintendo's software sales holding strong and third-party software sales declining over time.

In truth since the console market went mainstream in Japan with the Famicom, Nintendo was almost every year the number one publisher there.
It's no coincidence that almost all of the top 20 best selling console games ever in Japan are published by Nintendo (or Pokemon Co. which is controlled by Nintendo).

Top 20 best selling console games in Japan (sell-in; miss Minecraft which with all the various version combined should be around 5M, also note that while the chart combines Pokemon Red, Green with Blue the original release in Japan in 1996 was only formed by Pokemon Red/Green which sold-in 8.22M)
EtIRfpXW8AYucIP

Last edited:

yurinka

Nintendo dominates the J2 League, the second division.

LTD 286.0 million

LTD 98.89 million
LTD 782 software titles

1.Nintendo $18.47 bn
2.Sony $10.74 bn

Cash on Hand (Mar 2009)
1.Nintendo $12.42 bn
2.Sony $11.48 bn

1.Sony $19.80 bn
-PS $18.82 bn
-Aniplex $0.98 bn
2.Nintendo $13.24 bn

Cash on Hand (Dec 2020)
1.Sony $44.80 bn
2.Nintendo $14.63 bn

Great post. Additional data that explains why Sony doesn't need to focus on Japan, and why Japan isn't very relevant anymore:

Games shipped worldwide LTD (Dec 2020)
PS4 1.5B+
Switch 532M

Consoles shipped worldwide LTD (Dec 2020)
PS4 115.1M + PS5 4.5M
Switch 79.87M

Worldwide games per console ratio LTD (Dec 2020)
PS4 13+
Switch 6.66

I don't remember the exact amount of Switch and PS4 games released, but as I remember it as way over 3000 on Switch (not sure if Nintendo reports this) and way over 4000 on PS4 (as I remember the exact amount was mentioned with BC).

Last edited:

Woopah

Games shipped worldwide LTD (Dec 2020)
PS4 >1.5B
Switch 532M

Consoles shipped worldwide LTD (Dec 2020)
PS4 115.1M + PS5 4.5M
Switch 79.87M

Worldwide games per console ratio LTD (Dec 2020)
PS4 >13
Switch 6.66
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sony includes download only games in their total while Nintendo does not. PS4 may still have a higher attach rate even with that taken into account though.

yurinka

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sony includes download only games in their total while Nintendo does not. PS4 may still have a higher attach rate even with that taken into account though.
According to Nintendo: "Nintendo Switch software includes the downloadable version of Nintendo Switch card software."
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/number.html

They mention these numbers include digital version of the card games, but doesn't specify if it includes or not digital only games.

But even if digital only games aren't included on Switch and we remove around the half of total PS4 game sales (it should be way smaller because in all markets the total game sales are focused on a few dozen of the biggest top performing games, which in case are sold in retail too), there would still be an advantage on Sony's side.

Last edited:

Celine

Correct.

Nintendo and Sony are different kind of console manufacturer, the former is first-party driven whereas the latter is third-party driven which have consequence on how their dominance manifest.
In the case of Nintendo the focus is on first-party software sales and profits whereas in the case of SIE it's third-party software sales (or total software sales) and revenue.

What wasn't mentioned about Switch total software sales in Japan as December 2020 of 98.89M units is that at least 52.75M units is first-party software which is highly profitable for Nintendo.

For those wondering what it looks like the first few fiscal years of cumulative operating profits recorded by Nintendo and Sony Interactive Entertainment since the respective introduction of NSW and PS4:
fDXx2KQ.jpg

Last edited:

Woopah

According to Nintendo: "Nintendo Switch software includes the downloadable version of Nintendo Switch card software."
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/number.html

They mention these numbers include digital version of the card games, but doesn't specify if it includes or not digital only games.

But even if digital only games aren't included on Switch and we remove around the half of total PS4 game sales (it should be way smaller because in all markets the total game sales are focused on a few dozen of the biggest top performing games, which in case are sold in retail too), there would still be an advantage on Sony's side.
It includes digital sales of games released at retail, but not the sales of games which only have digital versions (Among Us for example). I agree that overall PS4 is likely to sell more software overall than the Switch is. The Western third party support for Sony's platform is simply much much stronger.

Kokoloko85

Japan is peculiar in the sense that in no other major market for console gaming one publisher, which is also a platform holder, own such a huge market share in term of software sales compared to all the other publishers combined.
In 2020 Nintendo+Pokemon Co. were responsible for more than 50% of the physical software sales in Japan, it's absurd.
This is a combination of two opposing trend: Nintendo's software sales holding strong and third-party software sales declining over time.

In truth since the console market went mainstream in Japan with the Famicom, Nintendo was almost every year the number one publisher there.
It's no coincidence that almost all of the top 20 best selling console games ever in Japan are published by Nintendo (or Pokemon Co. which is controlled by Nintendo).

Top 20 best selling console games in Japan (sell-in; miss Minecraft which with all the various version combined should be around 5M, also note that while the chart combines Pokemon Red, Green with Blue the original release in Japan in 1996 was only formed by Pokemon Red/Green which sold-in 8.22M)
EtIRfpXW8AYucIP

You just posted a list of portable games not console games

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It was Sony that eradicated PlayStation from the Japanese market. SIE, specifically.

yurinka

It includes digital sales of games released at retail, but not the sales of games which only have digital versions (Among Us for example). I agree that overall PS4 is likely to sell more software overall than the Switch is. The Western third party support for Sony's platform is simply much much stronger.
You can go read the most recent Nintendo financial report where they stated digital only games were not counted in software sold numbers while SIE included that stuff.
Please show me a Nintendo text saying that. The related one I posted doesn't mention that and wouldn't make sense to ignore digital only game sales. Of course SIE numbers include that, all the companies include the digital only games too on their sales reports.

Last edited:

Woopah

Please show me a Nintendo text saying that. The related one I posted doesn't mention that and wouldn't make sense to ignore digital only game sales. Of course SIE numbers include that, all the companies include the digital only games too on their sales reports.
On note 4 here it says that software sales are those of disk or cart software (packaged and downloadable versions) https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/number.html

That's why when Nintendo talks about third party million sellers on their platform, they don't include things like Cuphead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom