• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Nintendo has practically eradicated PlayStation" from Japanese market | 99% of game sales of 2021 in Japan is switch

K' Dash

Nintendo is only doing their thing, stomping Sony along the way is just a side effect of them focusing on their games and HW while not giving a fuck about the other console makers.

Pretty funny actually, since Nintendo is spanking them everywhere, not only Japan.

Last edited:
Yeah, keep blue-haired people on California choosing what games should be allowed at your platform.
Sony soon

W9q2dKM.png

Arxisz

Not surprising since japan hasn't been a market of focus for Sony for years now. they cemented that fact even more by switching the X/O buttons on the dualsense which was a traditional thing in japan. It's because japan is highly in favour of mobile/handheld gaming instead of consoles. Sony has it's eyes set on the big money outside japan. it's a real shame we won't see much if any japanese games from them in the future.

Last edited:

FStubbs

And yet, Sony is still getting Japanese third party console exclusives like Final Fantasy 16 and the latest 2 Trails games. There are a number of other games which are Playstation/Xbox, which in Japan essentially means they're also Playstation exclusive.

Fbh

If it is just a timed-exclusive, I'm sure it won't be on Switch anyway, so Japan will still view it as a PS5 exclusive.

Either way it has nothing to do with Sony nor is it a sign of Sony caring for the japanese audiences.
As I said, Ps4/5 have lots of japanese games because Playstation is the default "next gen" console in japan. Not because Sony are going out of their way to get japanese games made for Playstation.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It has been a long time since PlayStation stopped caring about the japanese market.
That's exactly what happened.

Not gonna "blame" them. Let's just say that development resources are limited and they'd rather focus on the west to make the most out of them.

Kokoloko85

Sounds like these threads are made every couple of days And are made prematurely.

Didn’t PS5 sell out in Japan and have limited consoles Worldwide and in Japan? Its been out for like 3 months?
Hasnt PS4 sold, Like 10 million units in Japan?

Also Japan isn’t Nintendo land, it never has been, its portable land lol.
Of course a hybrid console/portable is gonna sell more, like how mobiles are beating the switch in sales...

Saturn outsold the N64 and the gamecube only sold 4million units in Japan Lol.

Wii U sold terribly, the Wii only sold 2 or so million more than PS3 and Playstation has always outsold Nintendo Consoles since PS1.

Pretty sure Nintendo’s next console if its not a portable hybrid won’t sell well in Japan either... Nintendo did the smart thing and Sold a hybrid, well done to them. I love it but I also loved the Wii U and Gamecube etc

Last edited:

Codes 208

n/m

point is this is a given as one can be played as a handheld and Sony hasn’t done anything with any kind of portable device since they left the vita to die.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The hot take that Nintendo did something to Sony over there is kind of silly
I think it’s sillier to make it look like that choice of words somehow implies Nintendo “did something” to Sony.

Everyone knows that in sales terms, “X has eradicated Y” means X sold a lot more than Y, not that X physically pushed Y off the shelves and destroyed it. Buyers made the choice, not the products.

I can’t help thinking that anyone who’s pushing this “Nintendo didn’t do anything to Sony” narrative is attempting some awkward - and completely unnecessary - damage control. Yeah, Sony selling less is ‘cuz Sony doesn’t make products that appeal to that market, who wouldathunk?

Betcha no one would be making these posts if the title was “PlayStation has eradicated XBox from the console market”. The insecurity of some PlayStation users is something.

Aion002

That's exactly what happened.

Not gonna "blame" them. Let's just say that development resources are limited and they'd rather focus on the west to make the most out of them.
Yes... It was just the right thing to do.

Traditional console video games are dead in Japan, the Switch (an hybrid) was the final nail. If it's not portable most consumers on Japan don't give a shit.

It's a lost cause for high end consoles... Everybody should appreciate that games like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy sell a lot more outside of Japan... Otherwise they would be only available on the Switch... And that would be a pity.

Wow that's both amazing and sad.

PlayStation has essentially ignored the Japanese market and focused on the west for many years now. That's bad because to be honest the lack of good Japanese game development is missing in their portfolio lately.

Why should Sony care about the Japanese market? Have you seen the kind of shit those people play?

Nah fam, they did the right thing catering to the Western market, much bigger potential and we don't play weird games with anime waifus bouncing around with their big titties on display.

SNG32

Articles like this are bullshit. You can't even can a PS5 in japan right now. When one is announced people are going apeshit for it. If Sony kept up with the demand we wouldn't see posts like this.

When it's all said and done I believe the PS5 will surpass the PS4 mark it.

Last edited:
I’ll be honest, where’s the narrative that Sony has abandoned Japanese games? My favorite games of the PS4 were Japanese and often exclusive. Persona, Nier, YS 8, Final Fantasy VIIR, 13 Sentinels, TLG, Bloodborne... and so many more came from Japanese devs. If anything I’d say we got WORSE content from them Japanese wise in the PS3 gen. If anything this just goes to show that Japan does fuck with home consoles much these days.

Japanese devs rely on global audience now. There is an entire world that buys Japanese games.

"In fact, a certain chart show that 99% of TV game sales of 2021 in Japanese is switch."

Without meaning to diminish Nintendo's tremendous success with the Switch, this is really stacking the comparison against Playstation. 2021 right now is one month's worth of sales; the PS4 is on the way out; and the PS5 is barely launched and heavily supply-constrained.

I'd like to see this comparison again toward the end of the year.
Yea, they might hit 5% if they’re lucky but doubt it. New Monster Hunter, remember!

yurinka

Regardless, wtf is Sony doing. Time for Vita 2?
What Sony is doing is to report today they just achieved biggest worldwide quarterly revenue in gaming history for a platform holder, PS4 becoming the console that sold more games worldwide in gaming history (it achieved the PS2 record LTD), best worldwide launch for a console and many other records and is on track on continuing setting new records (like achieving this April the biggest platform holder revenue in a fiscal year) as they also did in the recent quarters or years.

I'd love to have a Vita 2, but their current strategy is working perfectly without portables and not focusing too much on Japan since its home console market shrinked to the point of becoming almost pointless for Sony, MS and most of the biggest home console publishers, including the Japanese ones, so this is all these companies (including the Japanese ones) focus instead on a global market and focusing more in the west.

P.S.: Sony doesn't sell more PS5 in Japan because like everywhere else in the world it always has been sold out everywhere since day one and every new shipment gets quickly sold out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom