• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has officially made more profits with Nintendo Switch(2017-2020) than Sony Gaming division with Playstation 4(2013-2020)

You mean a demake.

They should focus on making games not pushing agendas.

da0jLld.jpg
Please tell me those tweets are fake and shopped?

MagnesG

Banned
This includes Nintendo’s profits from mobile games but not Sony’s profits from mobile games.
That's true, FGO for example. It didn't make sense to include them though because the IP started from anime, produced by AniPlex from SME Japan. Their console game side pieces was also developed by others, using their IPs.

If Sony started the company with just its gaming division barring the startup money they have, then mobile games like FGO wouldn't even exist in their hands.

MagnesG

Banned
All those games were average to mediocre outside of Splatoon.
No you don't have any idea on what you're saying. All of them are good lol.

More like you have shit taste then.

Okay maybe Good Job is the only mediocre.
Also average = mediocre (?!) wtf.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
As I sit here eating this Five Guys burger I can't help but wonder how much money they made in 2020. Yes, I really care about how much corporations make because..um..well....it make me sleep better at night to know how much profit <fill in blank> is making.

Oh yeah and I am drinking a glass of milk with the burger so now I am wondering how much Land O Lakes made in 2020.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
As I sit here eating this Five Guys burger I can't help but wonder how much money they made in 2020. Yes, I really care about corporation make because....well....it make me sleep better at night to know how much profit <fill in blank> is making.

Oh yeah and I am drinking a glass of milk with the burger so now I am wondering how much Land O Lakes made in 2020.
Yeah keep on posting about this whenever there's news, not just Nintendo.

Paid remasters happened in late 2013 to 2014 because the PS4 couldn't run PS3 games.

What paid remasters are you seeing in the PS5?
Surely you're not putting paid remakes like Demon's Souls in that basket.
Demon souls I actually thought was a solid job

im talking tlou1 and uncharted...the last collosus ect.....great games when you first played them but the remakes .......

iHaunter

You personally might not be fan of them but I LOVE those games, especially Astral Chain and Mario + Rabbits from that list.
I'm not even saying me personally, they were reviewed and rated as bad by critics. Granted critics are not always right.

Having said that I was gifted a Switch for my Birthday and I owned Astral Chain actually. I was lucky enough to get a full credit resell back to Amazon because that game was terrible, my personal opinion. I usually like Platinum Games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not even saying me personally, they were reviewed and rated as bad by critics. Granted critics are not always right.

Having said that I was gifted a Switch for my Birthday and I owned Astral Chain actually. I was lucky enough to get a full credit resell back to Amazon because that game was terrible, my personal opinion. I usually like Platinum Games.
Both Astral Chain and Mario + Rabbits reviewed pretty good...
px0U8Oy.png

ak8z9Uc.png

But forget the reviews, I personally play them and love them both also my personal opinion.

Banned

Astral Chain is amazing (super unique combat system) and no they reviews very well (which is not saying much since critics are terrible and shouldn't be taken seriously)

TLZ

Banned
Nice job ignoring the key point.

You do you.
Just like you ignored the guy's key point, "Most game sales" part. Most their sales do come from old ports, not from their newer IPs.

And SSB came out in 2014. SSBU is a port of that.

You're choosing to argue a different point, not me.

yurinka

Profits is the ultimate metric of successful business while Revenue just a vanity especially with pathetic profit margin like Sony gaming division.

This reinvest bs you stated just a DLC and MTX money.

AdxIAPT.jpg
It isn't bs, it's simple mathematics: revenue - costs = income (profits or loss)

The graph of your post it's the operating profit margin, which shows what percentage of the company revenue represents their operating profit. It's formula is operating income (profit or loss) / revenue × 100 = operating profit margin

As seen in your graph, Nintendo profits are a bigger percentage of their revenue. Or what it's the same: Sony's costs are a bigger percent of their revenue, what I said: Sony reinvest a bigger portion of their revenue, which increases their costs. Because they decide to fund and market more games, and games that also are more expensive. And same goes with hardware and services.

Most Sony funded games (on PlayStation, not in mobile) are single player games not focused on dlc and mtx. Most dlc and mtx revenue that Sony gets from PSN it's from the 30% revenue share they get from 3rd party games published on PlayStation. This is the money they get from PSN (1st + 3rd party digital game sales, DLC, mtx, services), which is one of Sony's biggest revenue sources:

EtVZ2hZXYAAqVdg

As you can see it's in a long term growing trend since forever so it's very likely it will continue growing. So this is why they keep investing more and more on it: to continue increasing the amount of money they make.

What the heeeellll are you talking about? Let me make this clear; There. Is. No. Argument! Nintendo made more profits! No need to spin it into weird discussions about stuff that is not even true. Someone made a statement and ignored even one of the biggest games of last year (and it’s not a port lmfao)!
There is no spin and nothing false on it, I'm talking about the explanation of why Nintendo has more profits even if Sony generates way more revenue:
-It's true that Nintendo made more profit.
-It's also true that Sony made last year almost twice the money Nintendo did (revenue).
-It's also true that even if Sony makes more money, they have less profit because they decide to reinvest a higher portion of their revenue (they have way higher costs).
-It's also true that this difference in costs it's because they invest on more, and more expensive, games, services and hardware.

What are the 'weird discussions about stuff that is not even true'? What isn't true and why?

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
One is creating many complex, mature games, the other one has nearly no games but old, half-assed remasters that are too simple and basic. But still, Switch is the perfect console for kids.
In a dark desolate world where fanboys feel so unloved their insecurities have twisted their hearts into cold hatred....in this cruel reality of dog eat dog... where the quickening is a smug feeling of superiority over all...yes in this world the code of the Highlander rules supreme: " There can be only one" .

Marvel14

Banned
It's this meme all over again.

b58.jpg

And with regards to complexity, just when you look at game design, Super Mario 3D World literally shits on everything Sony has ever produced. That game is absolutely packed with so many different mechanics and they work flawlessly.
Dont.Feed.The.Troll

Impotaku

LOL ahh the kiddy argument pops up yet again, the last bastion of the bitter fanboy. Because the reality of Nintendo steamrolling the next gen with weaker hardware is too harsh for them to deal with it shatters their fagile world they have built in their heads where in it Nintendo is teh kiddy and is doomed. Back in the real world it seems that people want fun games to play & because nintendo make games for EVERYONE instead of just targeting adults like sony & microsoft they seem to be doing rather well. Who would have thought that targeting your stuff to everyone can sell you more games. Not everyone wants to play woke lesbian survival zombie simulator.

e&e

Banned
The graph of your post it's the operating profit margin, which shows what percentage of the company revenue represents their operating profit. It's formula is operating income (profit or loss) / revenue × 100 = operating profit margin

As seen in your graph, Nintendo profits are a bigger percentage of their revenue. Or what it's the same: Sony's costs are a bigger percent of their revenue, what I said: Sony reinvest a bigger portion of their revenue, which increases their costs. Because they decide to fund and market more games, and games that also are more expensive. And same goes with hardware and services.

Most Sony funded games (on PlayStation, not in mobile) are single player games not focused on dlc and mtx. Most dlc and mtx revenue that Sony gets from PSN it's from the 30% revenue share they get from 3rd party games published on PlayStation. This is the money they get from PSN (1st + 3rd party digital game sales, DLC, mtx, services), which is one of Sony's biggest revenue sources:

EtVZ2hZXYAAqVdg

As you can see it's in a long term growing trend since forever so it's very likely it will continue growing. So this is why they keep investing more and more on it: to continue increasing the amount of money they make.

There is no spin and nothing false on it, I'm talking about the explanation of why Nintendo has more profits even if Sony generates way more revenue:
-It's true that Nintendo made more profit.
-It's also true that Sony made last year almost twice the money Nintendo did (revenue).
-It's also true that even if Sony makes more money, they have less profit because they decide to reinvest a higher portion of their revenue (they have way higher costs).
-It's also true that this difference in costs it's because they invest on more, and more expensive, games, services and hardware.

What are the 'weird discussions about stuff that is not even true'? What isn't true and why?
You wrote that I attacked you lmfao...

Also we are having discussions on if a game is a port like that matters when everyone is porting their games and not every game is a port. I gave an example like Animal Crossing from last year (One of the biggest games). See what TLZ TLZ said about Smash Bros (another 20+ selling game). Clearly that’s a blatant troll.

Last edited:

Lethal01

It's one of Platinums best game but I know many have trouble really mastering controlling their legion. That aside your comments on critics is just not true, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you just heard a bad review or two but most critics received all those games well.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Would say both. I personally would rather buy Nintendo for my kid/s when old enough. Much safer.

well obvs the one with the most profit is working best, as they have more money and that’s what business is about. Not saying Sony doing bad but Nintendo’s approach is obviously working better by appealing to more people and sales

e&e

Banned
As I sit here eating this Five Guys burger I can't help but wonder how much money they made in 2020. Yes, I really care about how much corporations make because..um..well....it make me sleep better at night to know how much profit <fill in blank> is making.

Why did you post in this thread? It’s not hard to just ignore it. Isn’t this type of post frowned upon here?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
well obvs the one with the most profit is working best, as they have more money and that’s what business is about. Not saying Sony doing bad but Nintendo’s approach is obviously working better by appealing to more people and sales

Nintendo is doing well, but if they continue this trend it'll backfire eventually. Also Nintendo is more reliant on their own 1st party, while Sony is making much more money from 3rd party sales. Also Sony Pictures and their assets help make development much cheaper vs other publishers, that's why the impressive Horizon Zero Dawn cost only 45 million, which is crazy. GOW cost around 80 million and it's the most perfect game all-around. It works both ways, as they can recycle those assets on the movies and vice versa. Spiderman for example is the same model as the one in the movies with some modifications.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Nintendo is doing well, but if they continue this trend it'll backfire eventually. Also Nintendo is more reliant on their own 1st party, while Sony is making much more money from 3rd party sales. Also Sony Pictures and their assets help make development much cheaper vs other publishers, that's why the impressive Horizon Zero Dawn cost only 45 million, which is crazy. GOW cost around 80 million and it's the most perfect game all-around. It works both ways, as they can recycle those assets on the movies and vice versa. Spiderman for example is the same model as the one in the movies with some modifications.

How are they making much more money from 3rd party’s when nintendo profits are bigger , agaoin you mention you mention costs of horizon zero dawn and Nintendo profits are still much higher even though that game was cheap to produce. No matter how you try to spin it Nintendo is doing things better to make more profits, what they do is appealling to the masses more and working

dont forget with Spider-Man there are additional costs to the game other than game development

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How are they making much more money from 3rd party’s when nintendo profits are bigger , agaoin you mention you mention costs of horizon zero dawn and Nintendo profits are still much higher even though that game was cheap to produce. No matter how you try to spin it Nintendo is doing things better to make more profits, what they do is appealling to the masses more and working

dont forget with Spider-Man there are additional costs to the game other than game development

Did I say that Sony is making more profit? But the majority of Sony's revenue is from 3rd party sales. With Nintendo they're more reliant on 1st party because the 3rd party offering is very low, and they're barely spending anything on recycled games that get mild enhancements. It's working great for them now, but few years from now if they keep this lazy trend it'll tank and backfire. Also they barely make any sale offers vs PS/Xbox/PC.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Did I say that Sony is making more profit? But the majority of Sony's revenue is from 3rd party sales. With Nintendo they're more reliant on 1st party because the 3rd party offering is very low, and they're barely spending anything on recycled games that get mild enhancements. It's working great for them now, but few years from now if they keep this lazy trend it'll tank and backfire. Also they barely make any sale offers vs PS/Xbox/PC.

Nintendo is doing fine and no need to worry, they produce enough new games. Animal crossing is a juggernaut hit that other platforms wish they had and not expensive to produce. You also pointed pout who the games are aimed at, while s

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nintendo is doing fine and no need to worry, they produce enough new games. Animal crossing is a juggernaut hit that other platforms wish they had and not expensive to produce. You also pointed pout who the games are aimed at, while s

Those games make massive money with little effort like Fortnite, Fall Guys, etc. I don't even touch those games, but I think Sony should consider making such games. Xbox bought Minecraft for that purpose.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Those games make massive money with little effort like Fortnite, Fall Guys, etc. I don't even touch those games, but I think Sony should consider making such games. Xbox bought Minecraft for that purpose.

Why wouldnt you touch those games?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Why wouldnt you touch those games?

Do you play everything? I play many games, but there are great games that just don't fit my taste. Souls games for example. Played Fortnite for like 5 games and deleted it. I mainly play SP games, also can't stomach turn-based JRPG's.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Do you play everything? I play many games, but there are great games that just don't fit my taste. Souls games for example. Played Fortnite for like 5 games and deleted it. I mainly play SP games, also can't stomach turn-based JRPG's.

It was you who said you would even touch those games. You like single player games yeah cool but the majority of Nintendo games are single player games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It was you who said you would even touch those games. You like single player games yeah cool but the majority of Nintendo games are single player games.

Why are you concerned about what games I like anyway? To me, if I ever buy a Switch it'll be to play BoTW and that's it, that's why I didn't get one because it's not MGS-level to buy a whole console for.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Why are you concerned about what games I like anyway? To me, if I ever buy a Switch it'll be to play BoTW and that's it, that's why I didn't get one because it's not MGS-level to buy a whole console for.

Your the one that brought up games? You even did it a few pages back about who the games are aimed at? I own a switch and can tell you there are some amazing games on there, not all great games are on a sony console.

back on topic though while the games may not appeal to you they are appealing to a huge audience for Nintendo profits to be as high as they are

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Your the one that brought up games? You even did it a few pages back about who the games are aimed at? I own a switch and can tell you there are some amazing games on there, not all great games are on a sony console.

back on topic though while the games may not appeal to you they are appealing to a huge audience for Nintendo profits to be as high as they are

Well, although I don't own a Nintendo, I highly respect it. Happy you are enjoying it.

Reactions: e&e
Top Bottom