• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has officially made more profits with Nintendo Switch(2017-2020) than Sony Gaming division with Playstation 4(2013-2020)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I mean cool? I played what I wanted of Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U and thus barely played any of it on the Switch as it was the same game. Nintendo fanboys are fine going a decade playing the same old game it seems like. Thank god that other companies give us sequels to games in a more timely fashion.

I mean cool that you play a game earlier than the rest of the players who haven't play it? People burned through those AAA game of the month then goes back to Mario Kart 8, recommend to their friends and patience gamers who then continue to buy Mario Kart months and years after launch.

Other companies will kill to have a evergreen title which they can sell for many years to come like Mario Kart or GTA5. Not their fault that Mario Kart and various Nintendo games are timeless classic with new players continuously buying them years after years and playing it for the first time, while Sony has to price cut their games after 1 or 2 months to revive the sales momentum.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I mean cool that you play a game earlier than the rest of the players who haven't play it? People burned through those AAA game of the month then goes back to Mario Kart 8, recommend to their friends and patience gamers who then continue to buy Mario Kart months and years after launch.

Other companies will kill to have a evergreen title which they can sell for many years to come like Mario Kart or GTA5. Not their fault that Mario Kart and various Nintendo games are timeless classic with new players continuously buying them years after years and playing it for the first time, while Sony has to price cut their games after 1 or 2 months to revive the sales momentum.
This is a pretty fucked up mindset, you are a consumer, not Nintendo employee, stop talking about their price stagnation like it's a good thing.

This is a pretty fucked up mindset, you are a consumer, not Nintendo employee, stop talking about their price stagnation like it's a good thing.

It’s really a matter of market demand. Why should Nintendo cut prices and have to sell double the software units to reach the same revenue? Do you honestly believe companies don’t drop prices solely for the intent of increasing sales and profitability?

GeorgPrime

Banned
It’s really a matter of market demand. Why should Nintendo cut prices and have to sell double the software units to reach the same revenue? Do you honestly believe companies don’t drop prices solely for the intent of increasing sales and profitability?

Its not that that they still need to rely on a 10 year old game still selling at full price when they already have two more games out. Thats why i dont buy many Nintendo games in store. Mostly searching for people who sell used games.

Last edited:

_Ex_

Considering the Switch is in reality Vita 2.0, this could have been Sony if they'd marketed their last handheld worth a shit in the west.

Indyblue

Considering the Switch is in reality Vita 2.0, this could have been Sony if they'd marketed their last handheld worth a shit in the west.
Yes the only difference between the vita and the switch is marketing. It has nothing to do with making games like BOTW, odyssey, smash, Mario kart, Pokémon, animal crossing....
It’s marketing. Americans just didn’t know about the mainstream gaming glory that was Vita.

Sony doesn't cut the price on their games 1-2 months after launch most of the time. Where's that price cut on Miles Morales, Demons Souls, Sackboy etc? Those are all 3 months old and have yet to go on sale. You're such a dumbass Nintendo fanboy

Bodomism

Banned
Monster Hunter Rise
Bravely default 2
Bowser's Fury
Breath of the wild 2
Bayonetta 3
Pokemon gen 4 Remake
Shin Megami Tensei V

Won't slowing down anytime soon.

I never said that profit is not important. I said profit isn’t everything.
They need revenue/sales to gain profit. Yes, having a high revenue doesn’t mean anything if you are always losing money.
If you are selling and still gaining a profit considering all the expenses you have.
I see that as a healthy company that has a lot of room for growth that will be potentially increase their market cap and their profits

It’s not black and white.
We don’t know the specific expenses for both and that will not show in their reports.
We can only assume and guess on what are those.
Sony is a multi-media company that has a lot of sectors and those have high operating cost. Some doesn’t make any profit.

Same goes for SIE not all there games turn into profit.

This is the first time Sony will have profits entering new generation. This is because of the PS4. If they will have the same monstrous revenue for PS5. Expect Sony’s profit to be better than PS4.

Revenue dictates your growth not profits. The more items you sell the more profits you will gain in the future.
Business model of Sony is very different from the business model of Nintendo.
Nintendo maximize their profit thru their software.
Sony is willing to cut their price to have more sales for long term gains.
It’s not a zero sum game both are successful.
Profit IS revenue after the costs have been deducted.

But keep reaching.

mckmas8808

Banned
This thread will be quite entertaining.

Why? It's a "one great profitable company has more profits than another great profitable company". Like,......okay cool. It's informational only. Not like there's much to take away here.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Sony doesn't cut the price on their games 1-2 months after launch most of the time. Where's that price cut on Miles Morales, Demons Souls, Sackboy etc? Those are all 3 months old and have yet to go on sale. You're such a dumbass Nintendo fanboy
They would be dumb to cut the price now when there are still not enough PS5 installbase, only 4.5 mil who would probably still willing to cash out the games full price.

Eanox

Yeah it is. You make sure your revenue exceeds your operating costs, leaving profit. That's literally the bottom line.
Isn’t that what I have said earlier? revenue is what they see first because revenue will pay their bills and expenses and those expenses will reflect on your bottom line, which is profit.

What I referencing to black and white is, just because Nintendo is profiting more it doesn’t mean Sony is not as successful because we are not seeing the expenses of both companies. Different business model. What’s working for Nintendo will not work for Sony and vice versa.
Profit IS revenue after the costs have been deducted.

But keep reaching.
reaching? do you even know what you are talking about?
Where in my post indicating that I don’t know that profit is the bottomline after you consider all the expenses?
It’s even in my first post that you quoted.

That’s why I even ignored your first quote because lower cost with their revenue means more profit. no shit Sherlock.

But on what expense to reduce their revenue in the future? A move that will affect their future profits? Do you think Sony is getting scared now because Nintendo is gaining more profit than them and they have to change their business model to react to Nintendo’s record breaking profits? Sony will now need to reconstruct, stop being aggressive with promotions and pricing? Stop reducing their price on their games? So they can match or exceed Nintendo’s profit?

Sony would like to grow. That’s why you see them ramping up their ps devs. Spending a lot on their marketing and promotions and lastly we don’t know how much they are spending in exclusive deals and r&d. That is an expenses that will add on their OPERATING COST.

Do guys even know what a higher revenue even means? Revenue = sales.
If Sony is breaking records in revenue it means they are massively selling their products. That revenue is also compose of 3rd party software, dlc and micro-transactions and that’s what 3rd party will look at.
Higher revenue can also mean they can spend more money. Some of you really need to stop downplaying what huge revenue means to a company because most of the time you don’t know what you are talking about. I mean some of you think Sony is doing bad. The face palm on some of the post here.
Take your fanboys goggles off and you will see both are successful.
And both doesn’t need to react if your business is doing good on their current model.

Bodomism

Banned
Isn’t that what I have said earlier? revenue is what they see first because revenue will pay their bills and expenses and those expenses will reflect on your bottom line, which is profit.

What I referencing to black and white is, just because Nintendo is profiting more it doesn’t mean Sony is not as successful because we are not seeing the expenses of both companies. Different business model. What’s working for Nintendo will not work for Sony and vice versa.

reaching? do you even know what you are talking about?
Where in my post indicating that I don’t know that profit is the bottomline after you consider all the expenses?
It’s even in my first post that you quoted.

That’s why I even ignored your first quote because lower cost with their revenue means more profit. no shit Sherlock.

But on what expense to reduce their revenue in the future? A move that will affect their future profits? Do you think Sony is getting scared now because Nintendo is gaining more profit than them and they have to change their business model to react to Nintendo’s record breaking profits? Sony will now need to reconstruct, stop being aggressive with promotions and pricing? Stop reducing their price on their games? So they can match or exceed Nintendo’s profit?

Sony would like to grow. That’s why you see them ramping up their ps devs. Spending a lot on their marketing and promotions and lastly we don’t know how much they are spending in exclusive deals and r&d. That is an expenses that will add on their OPERATING COST.

Do guys even know what a higher revenue even means? Revenue = sales.
If Sony is breaking records in revenue it means they are massively selling their products. That revenue is also compose of 3rd party software, dlc and micro-transactions and that’s what 3rd party will look at.
Higher revenue can also mean they can spend more money. Some of you really need to stop downplaying what huge revenue means to a company because most of the time you don’t know what you are talking about. I mean some of you think Sony is doing bad. The face palm on some of the post here.
Take your fanboys goggles off and you will see both are successful.
And both doesn’t need to react if your business is doing good on their current model.
*Take off my fanboy glasses and take a look at the numbers

tenor.gif

Sony PS - 0.767 billion dollars
Nintendo - 2.12 billion dollars

Eanox

*Take off my fanboy glasses and take a look at the numbers

tenor.gif

Sony PS - 0.767 billion dollars
Nintendo - 2.12 billion dollars
Yep, Sony will file bankruptcy tomorrow Nintendo beat them. It’s over. LMAO.

Copied from the other thread.
Cash on Hand (Dec 2020)
1.Sony $44.80 bn
2.Nintendo $14.63 bn

PS4 generated more free cash flow in two years than Nintendo in eleven years.

PS Free Cash Flow (Apr 18 - Mar 20)
Tot ¥404.8 bn (~$3.65bn)
FY18 ¥297.5 bn
FY19 ¥107.3 bn

Nintendo Free Cash Flow (Apr 09 - Mar 20)
Tot ¥379.6 bn (~$3.42bn)
FY09 ¥93.6bn
FY10 (¥75.9 bn)
FY11 (¥259.3 bn)
FY12 ¥48.7 bn
FY13 (¥43.1bn)
FY14 (¥45.1bn)
FY15 (¥16.5 bn)
FY16 ¥88.6 bn
FY17 ¥213.5 bn
FY18 ¥215.8 bn
FY19 ¥159.3 bn

Let’s pack our things. Revenues doesn’t mean shit. Nintendo won already.

Last edited:

Eanox

Seriously why are you so butthurt by the fact Nintendo made more profits with Switch in half of PS4 lifecycle?
Lol I am not butt hurt . I responded to a person on how they can make more profits.
I responded that they don’t need to respond to Ninty because both are successful.
Where is the butt hurt there?

Or you got offended because I praise both companies and I only need to praise nintendo and to cum every time they post record breaking profits?

Last edited:
Yep, Sony will file bankruptcy tomorrow Nintendo beat them. It’s over. LMAO.

Copied from the other thread.
Cash on Hand (Dec 2020)
1.Sony $44.80 bn
2.Nintendo $14.63 bn

PS4 generated more free cash flow in two years than Nintendo in eleven years.

Tot ¥404.8 bn (~$3.65bn)
FY18 ¥297.5 bn
FY19 ¥107.3 bn

Tot ¥379.6 bn (~$3.42bn)
FY09 ¥93.6bn
FY10 (¥75.9 bn)
FY11 (¥259.3 bn)
FY12 ¥48.7 bn
FY13 (¥43.1bn)
FY14 (¥45.1bn)
FY15 (¥16.5 bn)
FY16 ¥88.6 bn
FY17 ¥213.5 bn
FY18 ¥215.8 bn
FY19 ¥159.3 bn

Let’s pack our things. Revenues doesn’t mean shit. Nintendo won already.

To be fair, cash per Sony’s Balance Sheet is more like $14+B. The rest are marketable securities related to Sony Financial Services (insurance and banking operations) which is has legal restrictions that do not allow it to be easily moved to other Sony divisions. Those securities are a very unique and not really helpful in understanding the health of Sony’s financials in their more entertainment focused divisions (generic term to encompass everything else more aligned with their core businesses).

With that said, PlayStation is doing great! Margins and profitability are definitely important to sustain a company long term, but margin rates can be sacrificed for volume if it leads to greater profitability and cash flow long term. Sony and Nintendo are very different companies and run themselves that way. Nintendo is run more like a toy company. Is success for the less companies mutually exclusive? I get your frustration with the conversation though. It seems like people on both sides are so attached to their brands that they get triggered and can’t accept questions or comments about their beloved brands.

They would be dumb to cut the price now when there are still not enough PS5 installbase, only 4.5 mil who would probably still willing to cash out the games full price.
What I said doesn't just go for those games. That has been the case for many of their other games too.

Too bad with all that money Nintendo is making they can't get games out on a timely manner for people to play. Last year was a joke for Switch exclusives and right now 2021 isn't looking much better. Another overpriced $60 Wii U port with a couple hours of new content and a new Pokemon Snap game that will probably be 3-4 hours long. Heck Animal Crossing sells 30+ million copies and they can't be bothered to beef up their content output for it. These events that you log on there and finish in like 5 minutes are a joke.

Eanox

To be fair, cash per Sony’s Balance Sheet is more like $14+B. The rest are marketable securities related to Sony Financial Services (insurance and banking operations) which is has legal restrictions that do not allow it to be easily moved to other Sony divisions. Those securities are a very unique and not really helpful in understanding the health of Sony’s financials in their more entertainment focused divisions (generic term to encompass everything else more aligned with their core businesses).

With that said, PlayStation is doing great! Margins and profitability are definitely important to sustain a company long term, but margin rates can be sacrificed for volume if it leads to greater profitability and cash flow long term. Sony and Nintendo are very different companies and run themselves that way. Nintendo is run more like a toy company. Is success for the less companies mutually exclusive? I get your frustration with the conversation though. It seems like people on both sides are so attached to their brands that they get triggered and can’t accept questions or comments about their beloved brands.
To be fair I only posted that because mr Nintendo guy started with a pissing contest. lmao

Anyway, That’s what I have been trying to tell on this financial thread. A guy asked what Sony needs to do and I responded to that question. They don't need to react to ninty and to take a look at Sony's revenue. If Sony can sustain and improve more on their revenue this will translate on more profits in the future. If Sony will be able to establish their PS devs as a brand. This will have an uptick on the profits for Sony because more games will be paid in full price rather than bundles and price cuts.
Although not good for consumers or me if they followed the Nintendo route.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

that’s no need to resort to insult just because you are upset. Safe to say nobody cares about Sackboy now

zedinen

PS generated more free cash flow in two years than Nintendo in eleven years, despite significant amounts of cash being invested in PS5.

Tot ¥404.8 bn (~$3.65bn)
FY18 ¥297.5 bn
FY19 ¥107.3 bn

Tot ¥379.6 bn (~$3.42bn)
FY09 ¥93.6bn
FY10 (¥75.9 bn)
FY11 (¥259.3 bn)
FY12 ¥48.7 bn
FY13 (¥43.1bn)
FY14 (¥45.1bn)
FY15 (¥16.5 bn)
FY16 ¥88.6 bn
FY17 ¥213.5 bn
FY18 ¥215.8 bn
FY19 ¥159.3 bn

Cash on Hand (Dec 2020)
1.Sony $44.80 bn
2.Nintendo $14.63 bn

Cash on Hand (Mar 2009)
Nintendo $12.42 bn
Sony $11.48 bn

Nintendo business model doesn't work
Volatility, wild swings and zero growth in the long-run. Nintendo is a wild ride to nowhere.

PlayStation boring dominance of the home console market produces higher revenues, stable profits and slow but steady growth.

FY2008 Gaming Revenue (full year)

Nintendo $18.47 bn
Sony $10.74 bn

FY2020 Gaming Revenue (nine months)
1.Sony $19.80 bn

-PS $18.82 bn
-Aniplex $0.98 bn
2.Nintendo $13.24 bn

Bodomism

Banned
PS generated more free cash flow in two years than Nintendo in eleven years, despite significant amounts of cash being invested in PS5.

Tot ¥404.8 bn (~$3.65bn)
FY18 ¥297.5 bn
FY19 ¥107.3 bn

Tot ¥379.6 bn (~$3.42bn)
FY09 ¥93.6bn
FY10 (¥75.9 bn)
FY11 (¥259.3 bn)
FY12 ¥48.7 bn
FY13 (¥43.1bn)
FY14 (¥45.1bn)
FY15 (¥16.5 bn)
FY16 ¥88.6 bn
FY17 ¥213.5 bn
FY18 ¥215.8 bn
FY19 ¥159.3 bn

Cash on Hand (Dec 2020)
1.Sony $44.80 bn
2.Nintendo $14.63 bn

Cash on Hand (Mar 2009)
Nintendo $12.42 bn
Sony $11.48 bn

Volatility, wild swings and zero growth in the long-run. Nintendo is a wild ride to nowhere.

PlayStation boring dominance of the home console market produces higher revenues, stable profits and slow but steady growth.

Nintendo $18.47 bn
Sony $10.74 bn

1.Sony $19.80 bn

-PS $18.82 bn
-Aniplex $0.98 bn
2.Nintendo $13.24 bn
Operating profits
Playstation since 2013 - $11.7bn
Nintendo since 2017 - $12.2bn

profit margin
AdxIAPT.jpg

Nintendo is the richest company in Japan and Sony(whole company) is at 4th

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Subsidized consoles, indie tier discounted FP title prices, consoles for absolute casuals (COD, FIFA, Fortnite) = not buying other games.

Make sense all that revenue and only so so profit.
Comments like these give all Nintendo fans a bad name and make them sound like braindead zombies without the ability to critically think for themselves ☺️.

MagnesG

Banned
Comments like these give all Nintendo fans a bad name and make them sound like braindead zombies without the ability to critically think for themselves ☺️.
Hey I got to see Nintendo kiddy games statement for like every day, from people like yours.

Can't even let off mine? And it's true too it's not like I'm trolling. You just don't want to consider buying indie games when these FP titles already reaching their price.

Tot ¥404.8 bn (~$3.65bn)
FY18 ¥297.5 bn
FY19 ¥107.3 bn

Tot ¥379.6 bn (~$3.42bn)
FY09 ¥93.6bn
FY10 (¥75.9 bn)
FY11 (¥259.3 bn)
FY12 ¥48.7 bn
FY13 (¥43.1bn)
FY14 (¥45.1bn)
FY15 (¥16.5 bn)
FY16 ¥88.6 bn
FY17 ¥213.5 bn
FY18 ¥215.8 bn
FY19 ¥159.3 bn

Cash on Hand (Dec 2020)
1.Sony $44.80 bn
2.Nintendo $14.63 bn

Cash on Hand (Mar 2009)
Nintendo $12.42 bn
Sony $11.48 bn

Nintendo $18.47 bn
Sony $10.74 bn

1.Sony $19.80 bn

-PS $18.82 bn
-Aniplex $0.98 bn
2.Nintendo $13.24 bn

Sony cash is really only around $14B+. The rest is marketable securities from their financial services segment which is primarily from insurance and banking businesses. When you look at their actual financial statements it’s clear that these investments are heavily restricted and have nothing to do with their normal electronics and entertainment businesses. People really need to stop throwing that number around without properly understanding it. Read their SEC filings and you’ll hopefully understand.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Tot ¥404.8 bn (~$3.65bn)
FY18 ¥297.5 bn
FY19 ¥107.3 bn

Tot ¥379.6 bn (~$3.42bn)
FY09 ¥93.6bn
FY10 (¥75.9 bn)
FY11 (¥259.3 bn)
FY12 ¥48.7 bn
FY13 (¥43.1bn)
FY14 (¥45.1bn)
FY15 (¥16.5 bn)
FY16 ¥88.6 bn
FY17 ¥213.5 bn
FY18 ¥215.8 bn
FY19 ¥159.3 bn

Cash on Hand (Dec 2020)
1.Sony $44.80 bn
2.Nintendo $14.63 bn

Cash on Hand (Mar 2009)
Nintendo $12.42 bn
Sony $11.48 bn

Nintendo $18.47 bn
Sony $10.74 bn

1.Sony $19.80 bn

-PS $18.82 bn
-Aniplex $0.98 bn
2.Nintendo $13.24 bn
So to turn the tide against Nintendo net profits, we're now talking about comparing free cash flow.

Wow.

So to turn the tide against Nintendo net profits, we're now talking about comparing free cash flow.

Wow.

It’s not even apples to apples. Comparing a division’s cash flows to an entire company’s cash flows is flat out dumb. There are all kinds of costs that are usually unallocated to divisions that sit in corporate in large consolidated companies. We have no idea how those costs and related cash flows would be allocated to the various divisions if they were separate companies. Nintendo on the other hand would include all of those because you’re pulling the company’s entire data set.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s not even apples to apples. Comparing a division’s cash flows to an entire company’s cash flows is flat out dumb. There are all kinds of costs that are usually unallocated to divisions that sit in corporate in large consolidated companies. We have no idea how those costs and related cash flows would be allocated to the various divisions if they were separate companies. Nintendo on the other hand would include all of those because you’re pulling the company’s entire data set.
Give it a day or two.

Someone will figure out that Sony's offices have better photocopy machines than Nintendo does.

Bodomism

Banned

Tot ¥404.8 bn (~$3.65bn)
FY18 ¥297.5 bn
FY19 ¥107.3 bn

Tot ¥379.6 bn (~$3.42bn)
FY09 ¥93.6bn
FY10 (¥75.9 bn)
FY11 (¥259.3 bn)
FY12 ¥48.7 bn
FY13 (¥43.1bn)
FY14 (¥45.1bn)
FY15 (¥16.5 bn)
FY16 ¥88.6 bn
FY17 ¥213.5 bn
FY18 ¥215.8 bn
FY19 ¥159.3 bn

Cash on Hand (Dec 2020)
1.Sony $44.80 bn
2.Nintendo $14.63 bn

Cash on Hand (Mar 2009)
Nintendo $12.42 bn
Sony $11.48 bn

Nintendo $18.47 bn
Sony $10.74 bn

1.Sony $19.80 bn

-PS $18.82 bn
-Aniplex $0.98 bn
2.Nintendo $13.24 bn

bd8.png

93xfan

Banned
Nintendo is selling on Switch for full price games that they released on WiiU years ago...and they are selling as hot bread...so good for Nintendo I guess, bad for WiiU owners like me.

edit: damn, they are even selling ROMS of N64 and Game cube for 60 bucks and people are buying them. Nintendo can put the Nintendo logo on a dog shit and people will kill to buy it.
Sony wishes they had exclusives that are as good. Mario, Metroid, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Zelda.

Also, disparity in sales between exclusives shows how wrong you are. Arms sales vs BotW. Splatoon 2 vs Mario Kart. You may be able to claim that the established IPs are bought no matter what, but Nintendo does a good job with their beloved franchises.

Unlike Sony with Socom, Killzone, Motorstorm, etc. Enjoy your salt.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
To me the Switch has the best games out right now, BOTW, Mario odyssey, Smash and their good selection of jrpgs. The games probably don’t cost a ton to make, hell the graphics of most games are like PS3 level which I doubt cost a crazy amount to make so all Nintendo sees is $$$$$$
I’m quite happy with Nintendo‘s games myself.

I used to be a massive PlayStation fan, but without Socom and with their backwards compatibility lacking, I’ve happily made the move to Xbox for my next gen fix.

bobone

After the N64 I own hardly any games on Nintendo's consoles.
I own about 400 hundred from the PS2 onward on Sony's consoles.

Its clear Nintendo has a better business model. But I happy as hell Sony doesn't follow it.

good for investors

for me it, Nintendo consoles have nothing I want to play. After shitty N64, I gave again two chances: with Wii (even crappier) and now with switch (good, but I already played like 90% on PS4 years before with better graphics).

never anymore

Top Bottom