• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has officially made more profits with Nintendo Switch(2017-2020) than Sony Gaming division with Playstation 4(2013-2020)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
To be fair all there is to play on Nintendo consoles are Nintendo games.
I can’t imagine anyone stupid enough to buy a Nintendo consoles and expect Playstation exclusives on it (though things might change in future since we’re seeing Playstation exclusives on PC and Xbox nowadays)

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
The market has spoken. Mario Kart 8 > all those next gen boring games
Of course. The consumer doesn’t want to play a movie, most of them want to play a video game and blow off some steam.

However, Nintendo should look to acquire a couple more studios and form at least one new one with all their cash reserves.

The market has spoken. Mario Kart 8 > all those next gen boring games
I mean cool? I played what I wanted of Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U and thus barely played any of it on the Switch as it was the same game. Nintendo fanboys are fine going a decade playing the same old game it seems like. Thank god that other companies give us sequels to games in a more timely fashion.

MagnesG

Banned
I mean cool? I played what I wanted of Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U and thus barely played any of it on the Switch as it was the same game. Nintendo fanboys are fine going a decade playing the same old game it seems like. Thank god that other companies give us sequels to games in a more timely fashion.
New copies of MK8D are still selling hot to this day, 33 mil counting. That's a lot of apparently "fanboys" lol.
The game is just awesome for MP so people bought it, simple.

Last edited:
New copies of MK8D are still selling hot to this day, 33 mil counting. That's a lot of apparently "fanboys" lol.
The game is just awesome for MP so people bought it, simple.
Bundled copies are also included in that 33 million and there were a ton of those sold over the past 3 years. Either way I have nothing against the game but fanboys like yourself that try to put other games down just because this one sells well are pathetic.

MagnesG

Banned
Bundled copies are also included in that 33 million and there were a ton of those sold over the past 3 years. Either way I have nothing against the game but fanboys like yourself that try to put other games down just because this one sells well are pathetic.
Most of those bundled copies are sold for $360, only the recent holiday bundle have the $300 price tag with very limited amount. This is not like TLoU who got constantly bundled for 2-3 years with other games too, for $300 in every holiday sales.

That statement was made as a jest and I'm not even the who made it. Who's the fanboy here? An irrational one at that.

Last edited:
Most of those bundled copies are sold for $360, only the recent holiday bundle have the $300 price tag with very limited amount. This is not like TLoU who got constantly bundled for 2-3 years with other games too, for $300 in every holiday sales.

That statement was made as a jest and I'm not even the who made it. Who's the fanboy here? An irrational one at that.
Mario Kart 8 was bundled with every Switch during the holidays over the past 3 years. They put out that same bundle each year. So a good 8+ million of those 33 million were sold with a console. TLOU was only bundled with some PS4's in certain regions. It wasn't a worldwide thing and it wasn't every year either. There was also very limited stock of those PS4s which wasn't the case for the Switch. Heck the $199 PS4 that came with it sold out on the first day and from that point on not a single other PS4 that was sold that holiday came bundled with it.

e&e

Banned
Mario Kart 8 was bundled with every Switch during the holidays over the past 3 years. They put out that same bundle each year. So a good 8+ million of those 33 million were sold with a console. TLOU was only bundled with some PS4's in certain regions. It wasn't a worldwide thing and it wasn't every year either. There was also very limited stock of those PS4s which wasn't the case for the Switch. Heck the $199 PS4 that came with it sold out on the first day and from that point on not a single other PS4 that was sold that holiday came bundled with it.
Making a lot of excuses for your console wars huh?

Making a lot of excuses for your console wars huh?
You call them excuses while I'll call them facts and corrections to someone who is spreading false information. It's certain people in here who bring up Sony in a Nintendo sales thread. Instead of just being glad Nintendo is doing well you people have to try and frame it in a way like Sony is doing poorly which isn't the case at all.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
This revenue talk is pointless when Sony PlayStation profits margin is pathetically low.
Who's fault is that? It's your task to make business profitable, Sony's is much worse at it than Nintendo, that's a fact. Also the only thing that matters in business is profit, as they say 'cash is king'. When people / companies forget about this you always get huge crash a few years later.

e&e

Banned
You call them excuses while I'll call them facts and corrections to someone who is spreading false information. It's certain people in here who bring up Sony in a Nintendo sales thread. Instead of just being glad Nintendo is doing well you people have to try and frame it in a way like Sony is doing poorly which isn't the case at all.
Please don’t respond to my post with you people.Who are you talking about? Why does it bother you so much?

MagnesG

Banned
Bullshit. Like I said the MK8 bundle was priced for $360 until only recently, additional $60 for the game itself. What's the use of pointing out bundles that are not in the discounted range?

Are you kind of retarded today? Thinking that the Switch MK8 bundles is not very limited stock?

TLoU so far have 25 different bundles across the countries, not sure if every year or not but I can only assume it's pretty close to that. So much limited stock that they need 25 different bundles lol. Or are you referring to US only for those anecdotes?

Please don’t respond to my post with you people.Who are you talking about? Why does it bother you so much?
Don't respond to my post accusing me of console warring then when it was other people who started that shit in here about Sony in the first place. And I'm talking about the other person that I was replying to who can't seem to talk positively about Nintendo without hating on Sony at the same time.

Yoboman

Who's fault is that? It's your task to make business profitable, Sony's is much worse at it than Nintendo, that's a fact. Also the only thing that matters in business is profit, as they say 'cash is king'. When people / companies forget about this you always get huge crash a few years later.
Please don't apply the shitty financial advice you got as a kid to multi billion dollar corporations

Cash is king lmao

Who do you think has higher cash flow, Nintendo or Sony?

Last edited:
Bullshit. Like I said the MK8 bundle was priced for $360 until only recently, additional $60 for the game itself. What's the use of pointing out bundles that are not in the discounted range?

Are you kind of retarded today? Thinking that the Switch MK8 bundles is not very limited stock?

TLoU so far have 25 different bundles across the countries, not sure if every year or not but I can only assume it's pretty close to that. So much limited stock that they need 25 different bundles lol. Or are you referring to US only for those anecdotes?
Only retarded one is you. The Mario Kart 8 Switch bundle has been available every holiday for the past 2-3 years for $299. They recycle it every year

e&e

Banned
Don't respond to my post accusing me of console warring then when it was other people who started that shit in here about Sony in the first place. And I'm talking about the other person that I was replying to who can't seem to talk positively about Nintendo without hating on Sony at the same time.
But you were in fact console warring, even if you didn’t start it.

Calverz

RAO71lr.jpg

Only retarded one is you. The Mario Kart 8 Switch bundle has been available every holiday for the past 2-3 years for $299. They recycle it every year
Sony practically given away TLOU copies for free with every holiday bundles and also PlayStation plus.
Do you wan't to see which game generate more money even without counting bundle into the account? Take a look at NPD dollar sales best selling exclusive and take a look of both games position.

MK8D excluded digital sales while TLOU included.

Top 20 best-selling games from 2010 through 2019 in the U.S.​

1. Grand Theft Auto V
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  4. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  6. Call Of Duty: Ghosts
  7. Red Dead Redemption II
  8. Call of Duty: WWII
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  10. Minecraft
  11. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  12. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019
  13. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  14. Mario Kart 8
  15. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  16. Battlefield 1
  17. Battlefield 4
  18. Destiny
  19. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  20. Star Wars Battlefront 2015

Last edited:
Sony practically given away TLOU copies for free with every holiday bundles and also PlayStation plus.
Do you wan't to see which game generate more money even without counting bundle into the account? Take a look at NPD dollar sales best selling exclusive and take a look of both games position.
More lies. TLOU wasn't even on PS Plus until a couple years ago which was LONG after it had already sold 20 million copies. If you're going to talk about TLOU being in bundles then MK8 is fair game too as the $299 Switch + MK8 bundle has been a repeating thing for 3 straight holidays.

As for which ones make more money, who cares? Everyone knows that Sony puts their exclusives out, they sell millions, and 7-8 months later you can get them for $30 or less. That is the model they enjoy doing. Nintendo doesn't drop the price on their games permanently for a long time because people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games mostly, not third party games.

More lies. TLOU wasn't even on PS Plus until a couple years ago which was LONG after it had already sold 20 million copies. If you're going to talk about TLOU being in bundles then MK8 is fair game too as the $299 Switch + MK8 bundle has been a repeating thing for 3 straight holidays.

As for which ones make more money, who cares? Everyone knows that Sony puts their exclusives out, they sell millions, and 7-8 months later you can get them for $30 or less. That is the model they enjoy doing. Nintendo doesn't drop the price on their games permanently for a long time because people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games mostly, not third party games.
3max.jpg

ps4-bundle-2019-god-of-war-the-last-of-us-remastered-bundle-1400px-ps4-pro-sg-my-th-id-ph-vn-01.png

71QRsHvqFDL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Screen_Shot_2019_11_21_at_1.08.53_PM.0.png

96a55723b5bd7e882e330f2886f4874a.jpg

EKHO2QfX0AI8y30.jpg

14331958567_d990784fbd_o.png
93099070_10158121864328427_2389206249959849984_n.jpg

TLOU is basically the most bundled game ever for PS4

MagnesG

Banned
It's available and sold out like usual? What's the point here? The bundle is practically a Switch + $60 MK8D except last year holiday which is practically justified. Did I mention that the bundle $360 have been sold limitedly multiple times?

You're just retardedly fanboying at this point, anyone who even have a sliver of working braincells could see what the fuck is going on.

3max.jpg

ps4-bundle-2019-god-of-war-the-last-of-us-remastered-bundle-1400px-ps4-pro-sg-my-th-id-ph-vn-01.png

71QRsHvqFDL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Screen_Shot_2019_11_21_at_1.08.53_PM.0.png

96a55723b5bd7e882e330f2886f4874a.jpg

EKHO2QfX0AI8y30.jpg

14331958567_d990784fbd_o.png
93099070_10158121864328427_2389206249959849984_n.jpg

TLOU is basically the most bundled game ever for PS4
It's been said over and over but hey let's say it again since you're braindead: TLOU already sold the majority of it's 20 million copies long before these bundles came along. Many of these bundles were only available in small amounts and only in certain countries. That $199 bundle for instance was VERY limited and was gone in a day. It wasn't something that was available for 2 months for anyone to buy. You people love posting misleading information.

MagnesG

Banned
It's been said over and over but hey let's say it again since you're braindead: TLOU already sold the majority of it's 20 million copies long before these bundles came along. Many of these bundles were only available in small amounts and only in certain countries. That $199 bundle for instance was VERY limited and was gone in a day. It wasn't something that was available for 2 months for anyone to buy. You people love posting misleading information.
MK8D bundles is absolutely not available constantly for 2 months, only 2-3 days at best.

Last edited:
It's available and sold out like usual? What's the point here? The bundle is practically a Switch + $60 MK8D except last year holiday which is practically justified. Did I mention that the bundle $360 have been sold limitedly multiple times?

You're just retardedly fanboying at this point, anyone who even have a sliver of working braincells could see what the fuck is going on.
I'm fanboying says the pathetic troll who can't talk about Nintendo without spewing some kind of hate towards Sony. That MK8 Switch bundle was $299 every holiday for 3 years. Yes it's sold out right now because it isn't the holiday anymore obviously. I never said it was a year round thing but hey if you learned to read you would know that.

Show me the proof of that.
Zelda BOTW sold around 15M and without digital sales included able to chart in the best selling game of the decade why TLOU 20M failed to do that?
The only logical explanation is it was heavily bundled and NPD didn't give a shit about bundled game in dollar sales ranking.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm fanboying says the pathetic troll who can't talk about Nintendo without spewing some kind of hate towards Sony. That MK8 Switch bundle was $299 every holiday for 3 years. Yes it's sold out right now because it isn't the holiday anymore obviously. I never said it was a year round thing but hey if you learned to read you would know that.
You do know there’s other countries that exist apart from America don’t you?

In the UK every Switch bundle is priced as the full value of the console + game. There’s no saving to be had.

You burgers get amazing deals whilst the rest of the world pays out of their arse.

This is why company's profit is important to show what kind of bs you had been spouting till now.

Hoppa

Switch is my first Nintendo console and I just don’t get the hype tbh..I haven’t taken it to the rooftop at a house party yet so I haven’t actually experienced it as Nintendo intended

Here is the breakdown of the entire four quarters of 2020 sales for Playstation and Nintendo

Playstation CY2020 operating income
Q1 - $0.421bn
Q2 - $1.153bn
Q3 - $0.988bn
Q4 - $0.767bn
Total - $3.329bn

Nintendo CY2020 operating income

Q1 - $0.923bn
Q2 - $1.378bn
Q3 - $1.396bn
Q4 - $2.183bn
Total - $5.88bn

Edit: Oh someone on Ree was confused by Sony financial report lol. The highlighted point there is CY2020 not FY2020 so he forgot to put one more quarter result for Nintendo.

dcOTxIV.jpg

Someone with Ree account should notify this guy from spreading that misinformation financial figures.

Last edited:

belmarduk

Success for Nintendo does not always mean good games. It usually just makes them rest on their laurels... and that's fine. Just gimme BotW2. This year!

WildBoy

Nintendo knows how to make games with wide appeal... Sony and Microsoft just think their games have wide appeal but in reality they are just core games with easy to digest gameplay and shared ideas across IP. They don't have the breath of genre or categories that Nintendo is hitting. Not even close. The king has returned.

WildBoy

Could say same for GTA5.

Neff

The best thing out of these for Nintendo fans is the mobile gaming venture by Nintendo turned to be mediocre while dedicated gaming segment flourished
You're absolutely right, but it can never be overstated just how instrumental Pokémon GO was in re-establishing Nintendo as a hot brand. Nintendo's mindshare before then was practically non-existent. Then all of a sudden, people remembered how much they loved Nintendo again, and crucially, how much their friends did too. Switch's success is undoubtedly in its debt.

It’s not black and white.
Yeah it is. You make sure your revenue exceeds your operating costs, leaving profit. That's literally the bottom line.

Last edited:
Well of course it will. Isn't the Nintendo Switch cheaper to produce and sold at a higher cost, relative to the production costs of the PS4?

Plus their software, they sell a crapton and rarely ever drop prices.

I'd be surprised if they didn't generate more profits tbh.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Good for them, last Nintendo console I owned was gamecube (still got it), but they definitely got following looking at these numbers.

leo-j

The numbers have been released
Sony PlayStation division operating profits in Q3 = 0.767 billion USD vs Nintendo 2.18 billion USD
Okay so with that added .7 billion does that still have Nintendo over all of Sony this gen for profits?
Reminder ps5 was sold at a loss. So profits came from ps4 software and psn accounts.

Top Bottom