• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has officially made more profits with Nintendo Switch(2017-2020) than Sony Gaming division with Playstation 4(2013-2020)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is very impressive from Nintendo. Kudos to them.

I wonder what Sony could do to increase their profits? Some options (none that I'll personally prefer though):
  • Create more MTX games
  • Stop putting their first-party games on big sales so soon, like Nintendo. I don't think HZD Complete Edition or God of War are $10 games even today.
  • Create a handheld device like the Switch
  • Create more mobile games
What do y'all think?

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned

I wonder what Sony could do to increase their profits? Some options (none that I'll personally prefer though):
  • Create more MTX games
  • Stop putting their first-party games on big sales so soon, like Nintendo. I don't think HZD Complete Edition or God of War are $10 games even today.
What do y'all think?

I would like a new multiplayer IP from them, no spinoff multiplayer.

I could see a potential PS4 portable down the line.

I think they are already trying to hold the line on PS5 with some games retaining their full price tag, Demon Souls is still $70 despite only currently selling around 1 mil right? At the end the market will dictates the price though, similar to Nintendo if one of their games bombed they would drop the price too, it's just works well for them most of time, and because of how much Sony FP are too reliant on graphics and story they games would get outdated real fast sadly.

They already have one of the biggest mobile game in the world aka Fate/Grand Order, though they're shying away from weeb stuff I think internally with the woke department going strong in Cali. So maybe not anytime soon.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Yes, they could absolutely try doing the interconnected systems in BOTW that is pretty much active throughout the game. They don't need to though just sprinkle in cinematic walking simulator atmosphere people would already go wow GOTY.

The Switch is priced at just the right amount with its specs in 2017 - $257 for overall factory production. No lucrative nonsense.
Also the notion where Nintendo fans are actually happy with the limited availability products is just bullshit, the games are just that good to pass up on.
Please read again the port machine part. Very little development cost on porting the same game to Switch and selling it for 60USD.
"Limited availability game" sold like CRAZY. But yeah, the Nintendo fans were so unhappy about it that they bought it anyway.
Can you imagine the backlash if any other company did that?

"Demon's Souls Remake, but only available up to March 2021. Better get that soon boys!"

The dumb-asses fans opened a precedent, just like cellphone games did with micro transactions. No apology, nothing.
Artificial rarity "Just because we can! We are fucking Nintendo, bitches".

And yeah, the hardware cost the same to manufacture throughout the console life, right? No, it doesn't.

TheMan

That's pretty impressive. Nintendo just marches to the beat of their own drummer and they have so many fans who dig it. Good for them.

MagnesG

Banned
Please read again the port machine part. Very little development cost on porting the same game to Switch and selling it for 60USD.
"Limited availability game" sold like CRAZY. But yeah, the Nintendo fans were so unhappy about it that they bought it anyway.
Can you imagine the backlash if any other company did that?

"Demon's Souls Remake, but only available up to March 2021. Better get that soon boys!"

The dumb-asses fans opened a precedent, just like cellphone games did with micro transactions. No apology, nothing.
Artificial rarity "Just because we can! We are fucking Nintendo, bitches".

And yeah, the hardware cost the same to manufacture throughout the console life, right? No, it doesn't.
Demon Souls Remake is new Nintendo wouldn't absolutely do that with their remakes. You have to understand that the rom collection would only come out every 10 years (5, 15, 25 anniversary) as a celebration thing, it's bullshit but the "limited availability" does goes will with the theme. It's not that often.

Other than that we also have the recent Fire Emblem rom released for a limited time and the Mario 35.

Thats because Nintendo fans are kinda stupid. Rebuying games over and over with no real price drops for years will def make Nintendo rich.
kTdZdlr.jpg

At least that is a remake, not a emulator like Nintendo is doing lol
You mean a demake.

• Create more MTX games
What do y'all think?
They should focus on making games not pushing agendas.

da0jLld.jpg

Faithless83

Banned
Demon Souls Remake is new Nintendo wouldn't absolutely do that with their remakes. You have to understand that the rom collection would only come out every 10 years (5, 15, 25 anniversary) as a celebration thing, it's bullshit but the "limited availability" does goes will with the theme. It's not that often.

Other than that we also have the recent Fire Emblem rom released for a limited time and the Mario 35.
I'll try to give you a pass, since you pretty much avoided the other points I've made and latched onto this one.

If it was a free game, time exclusivity is "kinda" fine on my book. You were there at the time, you got it.
Like the ambassador program they had for 3DS.

You trying to defend this BS, is part of the problem though. "Goes well with the theme"? What's that supposed to mean anyway?

You don't like the practices of any company, you don't support them with your money. That's not what I saw with "Limited port game", quite the opposite. A port of old games, very low investment, they won't suffer the used games money loss AND had a quick sales peak.

"Nintendo can do no wrong" sheep mantra is astounding.

I remember a thread not long ago showing PS+ earned more money than nintendo and xbox combined...something like that lol

NO, that was PSN revenue vs Xbox + Nintendo revenue.
But digital revenue is always high, because you gross 100% of the selling price, but you only keep 30%
And at retail the retailer is grossing 100 and the platform holder just gets a very low cut from the publisher

sainraja

But isn't that pretty much every studio's business model? Sony's first party studios have been juggling a couple of IP's each for the last ten years, Rockstar is doing GTA and RDR for the last decade, Ubi keeps pumping AC, Far Cry and the same old stuff since forever... Who exactly is creating new IP's left and right?
Sony introduced Jak & Daxter, Ratchet, God of War during the PS2 era. They introduced Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance and The Last of Us during the PS3 era. They introduced Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone and there are a couple more for the PS4 I could list but I've made my point. Sony carries forward some IPs and introduces new ones as well.

Last edited:

Neff

If you didn't own the WiiU, the Switch is a great console.
I own a Wii U, bought it day one, but I have to say that Switch is a massive improvement in almost every way. The only reason I still have it set up is for emulation and Wii games.
Struggling Nintendo is best Nintendo, this lazy approach is profitable but disappointing.
There's truth to this. I do get the feeling that they could and should be doing more. It's always the same when they're firing on all cylinders- staggered releases and held back titles, doubling down on ports etc. They're truly at their best when they need to launch with a bang, or are under threat from direct competition.

All will be forgiven once Breath of the Wild 2, Bayo 3 and Metroid Prime 4 are in my hands, though.

MagnesG

Banned
I'll try to give you a pass, since you pretty much avoided the other points I've made and latched onto this one.

If it was a free game, time exclusivity is "kinda" fine on my book. You were there at the time, you got it.
Like the ambassador program they had for 3DS.

You trying to defend this BS, is part of the problem though. "Goes well with the theme"? What's that supposed to mean anyway?

You don't like the practices of any company, you don't support them with your money. That's not what I saw with "Limited port game", quite the opposite. A port of old games, very low investment, they won't suffer the used games money loss AND had a quick sales peak.

"Nintendo can do no wrong" sheep mantra is astounding.
Don't be so serious lol. Pretty much all of what you've said are true and I'm not gonna deny it, I'm just showing you some perspectives.

It goes well with celebration being a limited thing, you don't celebrate all the time only on occasion. Get it? I know I know the whole thing is bullshit.

About the hardware cost thing, Nintendo did release a new updated revision to kinda offset the overall unbalance of the price, so at the end it should still be around that.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Well, I like Sony more consistent approach rather than Nintendo “guess what games and format you have to buy again” so in the long run, Sony is the safer bet.

Shure, porting 5 years old WiiU games on a brand new hardware with no BC to sell them 60€ is not costing. Still, it works!
It doesn't matter. They did this mostly with success, while others failed. Because their games are damn good and age very well. Everyone tried to copy what N did and failed. Remember wii-mote vs Move vs Kinect? N have their vision and they follow it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Great for shareholders; hilarious that fans celebrate this kind of stuff.

I'm thankful MS / Sony still don't try to profit off of their hardware day one.. and generally continually reduce price over time.

I like my Nintendo products, but not going to celebrate record profitability. I'd prefer their talents went into investing into more games, despite that being a risk.. or more advanced hardware.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Don't be so serious lol. Pretty much all of what you've said are true and I'm not gonna deny it, I'm just showing you some perspectives.

It goes well with celebration being a limited thing, you don't celebrate all the time only on occasion. Get it? I know I know the whole thing is bullshit.

About the hardware cost thing, Nintendo did release a new updated revision to kinda offset the overall unbalance of the price, so at the end it should still be around that.
No I'm just stating the facts and how scary it is that no one is talking about this.
Perspective is one way to put it alright.
"They are doing me a favor! This is instantly rare and will increase in price even more than a regular release over the years!"
See? "Perspective".

Everyone has preferences, but if any other company did this, it would still be a dick move and very anti-consumer.

This is quite impressive, but I’d like to see this with Wii U profits taken into consideration as both consoles “competed” against the PS4. People can criticize Nintendo and its fans all they want. However, in the end, they are a business and their goal is to maximize profits over the life of the company. They need to fulfill a market demand to do this. If there products were absolute garbage, then they would fail, look at the Virtual Boy. The reality is that they understand a segment of the gaming population and effectively deliver to that segment. Sony and Microsoft are in business for the same reason that Nintendo is in it. Don’t think for one minute that they wouldn’t trade their current situations for more profitability if it was sustainable.

Moogle11

Banned
I own a Wii U, bought it day one, but I have to say that Switch is a massive improvement in almost every way. The only reason I still have it set up is for emulation and Wii games.

There's truth to this. I do get the feeling that they could and should be doing more. It's always the same when they're firing on all cylinders- staggered releases and held back titles, doubling down on ports etc. They're truly at their best when they need to launch with a bang, or are under threat from direct competition.

All will be forgiven once Breath of the Wild 2, Bayo 3 and Metroid Prime 4 are in my hands, though.

It's definitely a pattern with them. That said, I'm guessing they had game development impacted way more by Covid and moving to WFH than most other publishers. They're such an old school, old fashioned Japanese company that I can't imagine they were at all set up for a smooth transition to remote work.

I'm sure they would have loved to have gotten some big games out in 2020. The Switch was selling like hotcakes as people were bored while stuck at home and turning to games as something to do. Nintendo has more appeal among casuals (lot's of people who grew up with their games, former Wii owners to turn to them when they want games again while stuck inside etc.), they hybrid is great for people dealing with sharing a TV while multiple people are stuck at home. Have to imagine games would have sold at crazy attach rates during this window, and Animal Crossing selling so much is a good example of that. Games may not sell quite as much in later 2021 and into 2022 when things are back to normal and people aren't stuck at home as much, when next gen kicks into higher gear and core gamers are spending more time and money on PS5 and XSX etc.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Thats because Nintendo fans are kinda stupid. Rebuying games over and over with no real price drops for years will def make Nintendo rich.
Imagine if someone said this about glorious Sony.

Alexa what are the ps2 remasters on ps3/4?

realme.jpg

Nintendo - 12.22 billion USD of operating profits from 2017-2020
Sony gaming division - 10.98 billion USD of operating profits from 2013-2020

Nintendo and Sony GnS operating profits
XphBNkG.png

EXZlL8rWsAAme5J

EtIBuYRW8AAf6aG

EtIHOeaW8AATdu3

1st party games and Nintendo hardwares are the primary contributors to the high operating profit achievements. Profits margin from those two segments must be high in comparison to other gaming companies.
MobileCHADs keep winning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuranghi

Just wait until The Stretchers 2 drops, guaranteed 10 million seller imo.

I've really enjoyed all the game I've played on my Switch and many of them were exclusive to it, I didn't have a Wii U (My flatmate bought one in March 2017, purely so we could play BotW, but its never played another game since then and is just gathering dust on his shelf because he probably will never finish BotW, was going to give him some money for it and set it up for VC but I've got that mostly covered through emulation now).

I deal with the disappointing re-releases by just not buying them and playing them elsewhere, but I get why they do that since many people haven't played those games (SM 3D collection) and those people don't care about the minutae that I care about like texture filtering, gradient handling and the many other "problems" it has.

Kokoloko85

Nintendo will always be the king of console and handheld

Apart only 1 of its consoles has sold more than Playstaion.
Wii ( Highest Nintendo conolse Sold more than PS3, Lowest selling Sony console )
Every other Playstation has sold more than a Nintendo console.

Nintendo is the King of Handhelds, they have many consoles that havent sold well

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Good for Nintendo, great comeback after the Wii U ( Which I loved )
Now we need Nintendo do make some new AAA IPs and carry on making great sequels.
But please drop your prices on your ports...

Kokoloko85

Yes, they could absolutely try doing the interconnected systems in BOTW that is pretty much active throughout the game. They don't need to though just sprinkle in cinematic walking simulator atmosphere people would already go wow GOTY.

The Switch is priced at just the right amount with its specs in 2017 - $257 for overall factory production. No lucrative nonsense.
Also the notion where Nintendo fans are actually happy with the limited availability products is just bullshit, the games are just that good to pass up on.

Lol I wouldnt call Bloodborne, Ratchet and Clank, Ghost of Tsushima or God of War walking simulators... pretty dumb comment lol.
You clearly know nothing about games if you think this.

I like my switch but you can’t complain about walking simulators if your talking about a console with a bunch of Wii U ports outside of a few times like Mario Odessy, Luigi’s Mansion and Fire Emblem..

llien

Nintendo does enjoy lack of any competition whatsoever.
The pathetic hardware that they get away with (even my replacement joycons are drifting) on top of clearly cheaper to develop games, pays off.

They also tend to make, not lose money on console hardware.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Just play end enjoy the games and stop whining about a "better switch model" you morons. Some people just can't overcome their gaming hardwrae inferiority complexes and just enjoy themselves, unless they game on some high end pc's. PC Master Race? MY ASS!! I pitty those fools!

I'd like to make a distinction between: "I wish this looked better, like I've seen it look outside official HW, but its still amazing regardless" and "LOLZ I won't play this 720p trash, PCMR4EVA", because the latter people are morons.

When you play on a giant screen it can really be quite intrusive to enjoying the art if the game is dropping to 540p on a camera pan, but I do also accept that its the only way to play so I'm not going to hurt myself by wishing for something that doesn't/probably won't ever exist.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I'm kinda new to this website, is this a site for sony shareholders? Asking because every time I click a "Nintendo is doing great" article I see a million excuses lmao. From a guy like me that doesn't have a Nintendo console since the wii, what they did after the wii u failure is fucking amazing! Just say it, sony is not going to be less awesome if you accept the fact that Nintendo is having a great time.

Nintendo can make a game, sell it for $60 and hold that price for years. The game will still sell for $60 years later because Nintendo know how to keep the value of their IPs high. Meanwhile everyone else's games will be on sale for $7 in a couple years.

I'm kinda new to this website, is this a site for sony shareholders? Asking because every time I click a "Nintendo is doing great" article I see a million excuses lmao. From a guy like me that doesn't have a Nintendo console since the wii, what they did after the wii u failure is fucking amazing! Just say it, sony is not going to be less awesome if you accept the fact that Nintendo is having a great time.

That's clearly not the mindset a lot of people hold these days.

If it's not #1 it's absolute shit now. You can't like two things or appreciate multiple things, you have to pick a side and die on a hill defending everything about it.

MagnesG

Banned
Lol I wouldnt call Bloodborne, Ratchet and Clank, Ghost of Tsushima or God of War walking simulators... pretty dumb comment lol.
You clearly know nothing about games if you think this.

I like my switch but you can’t complain about walking simulators if your talking about a console with a bunch of Wii U ports outside of a few times like Mario Odessy, Luigi’s Mansion and Fire Emblem..
Of course that's hyperbole, pretty much what I've been doing as usual. I'm just saying what some people had been raging boners about just from some cutscene trailers, preaching GOTY instantly.

No complaints from me overall, to each their own. I do think that cinematic games are deservedly popular.
Also I've no idea why you're including other different genres Sony FP titles in here.

Last edited:

Business

Sony introduced Jak & Daxter, Ratchet, God of War during the PS2 era. They introduced Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance and The Last of Us during the PS3 era. They introduced Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone and there are a couple more for the PS4 I could list but I've made my point. Sony carries forward some IPs and introduces new ones as well.

Like everybody else. Nintendo hasn't introduced new IP's in the last 20, 10 or 5 years?

sainraja

Like everybody else. Nintendo hasn't introduced new IP's in the last 20, 10 or 5 years?
I am confused by your response here. I just pointed out 10 new ips that Sony introduced with each generation they released a console. You were grouping Sony up with the rest in your statement by saying they all have been juggling a couple of IPs each gen; but in Sony's case, that doesn't really ring true. They've juggled some IPs across generations and introduced NEW ones as well. Not all of them worked, but some did work out. They still go on to introduce new IPs despite of some not working out.

Examples of ones that didn't work out:
  • Mod Nation Racers
  • PlayStation All Stars
  • MAG

Last edited:

Not on the same scale as Sony which if course they shouldn't.

Nintendo's business model is to rely on the strength of their decades old IPs and it works for them

Last edited:
Top Bottom