• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has officially made more profits with Nintendo Switch(2017-2020) than Sony Gaming division with Playstation 4(2013-2020)

realme.jpg

Nintendo - 12.22 billion USD of operating profits from 2017-2020
Sony gaming division - 10.98 billion USD of operating profits from 2013-2020

Nintendo and Sony GnS operating profits
XphBNkG.png

EXZlL8rWsAAme5J

EtIBuYRW8AAf6aG

EtIHOeaW8AATdu3

1st party games and Nintendo hardwares are the primary contributors to the high operating profit achievements. Profits margin from those two segments must be high in comparison to other gaming companies.

Fbh

Not that surprising.
The Switch has been selling like crazy and Nintendo has a very profit focused approach.

Just look at Software. Nintendo games don't drop in price and their top franchises remain as top sellers for years upon years.
The average Sony game is $20 within a year and most sales are on the first or at most first 2 years.

And then you have stuff like how the Average Sony AAA game probably costs 20x more to make than a mid tier PS2 game like Pokémon Sword despite usually selling substantially less

Same with hardware. Traditional consoles try to put as much power for as low a price as possible. Nintendo designs their stuff to be decently profitable from day 1.

Last edited:

royox

Nintendo is selling on Switch for full price games that they released on WiiU years ago...and they are selling as hot bread...so good for Nintendo I guess, bad for WiiU owners like me.

edit: damn, they are even selling ROMS of N64 and Game cube for 60 bucks and people are buying them. Nintendo can put the Nintendo logo on a dog shit and people will kill to buy it.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Nintendo is selling on Switch for full price games that they released on WiiU years ago...and they are selling as hot bread...so good for Nintendo I guess, bad for WiiU owners like me.

edit: damn, they are even selling ROMS of N64 and Game cube for 60 bucks and people are buying them. Nintendo can put the Nintendo logo on a dog shit and people will kill to buy it.
Best selling PS4 and XB1 game is GTAV and enhanced port of PS3 and XB360 game.

TheMooMan

Banned
If you didn't own the WiiU, the Switch is a great console.

As someone who loved my WiiU, my Switch has largely been collecting dust.

Struggling Nintendo is best Nintendo, this lazy approach is profitable but disappointing. I wish we had double the original titles, rather than them relying on so many ports. We haven't even had a new Mario Kart.

Last edited:

Rudius

You can have a mostly profit approach like Nintendo, with few really good games per generation and many cheap ones; the opposite of that, with many good games and not a lot of profit, like Sega of old, which is unsustainable; or you can go the Sony route, as a middle ground.

I know many will say Nintendo makes great games and deserves the profit, but the hardcore fans have a love-hate relationship with the company and are often unsatisfied with the lack of meaningful games for long stretches of time, while Sony fans only had that complaint with the Vita.

Gandih42

Very impressive.

I have a Switch myself and love using it, but it baffles me how they are able to maintain such high prices on older games. Especially when games on all other platforms are discounted heavily and frequently, even newer ones.

Such high volume sales at such high prices. That shit is nuts.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Struggling Nintendo is best Nintendo, this lazy approach is profitable but disappointing. I wish we had double the original titles, rather than them relying on so many ports. We haven't even had a new Mario Kart.
The reason they relied on the ports was exactly because they struggled with the WiiU. They went for a different console which was a radical change and offset the risk by relying on their most popular IPs. New console + new IPs would have been too much of a gamble.

TheMooMan

Banned
The reason they relied on the ports was exactly because they struggled with the WiiU. They went for a different console which was a radical change and offset the risk by relying on their most popular IPs. New console + new IPs would have been too much of a gamble.
I'm not saying that it's the wrong business decision.

I'm saying, selfishly, I prefer the Nintendo which has something to prove and goes all out with new games. This safe approach of recycling games has been rubbish as a lifelong Nintendo fan who has played most of them already.

MrA

Banned
EtIHOeaW8AATdu3

1st party games and Nintendo hardwares are the primary contributors to the high operating profit achievements. Profits margin from those two segments must be high in comparison to other gaming companies.
Miss read the chart, anyone asking why Nintendo doesn't go third part, there are 3.45 billion reasons why

Last edited:

Business

Nintendo churn out the same 3-4 low-risk IPs every year so this isn't surprising. Not hating, just stating the facts of their business model. I'm sure the margins on the Switch hardware are quite high as well.

But isn't that pretty much every studio's business model? Sony's first party studios have been juggling a couple of IP's each for the last ten years, Rockstar is doing GTA and RDR for the last decade, Ubi keeps pumping AC, Far Cry and the same old stuff since forever... Who exactly is creating new IP's left and right?

Nintendo is not a competitor to Sony, despite how weird that sounds. They don’t overlap anywhere in terms of demographics and game design. Switch’s main forte is portability just like with many previous Nintendo handhelds that solidified that image. That’s why Vita never took off, that space and mind share is firmly in Nintendo’s hands.

Nintendo is in its own category. They recycle same franchises for thirty years that have widespread recognition but don’t push this medium forward in terms of audiovisual and gameplay mechanics system. They’re closer to Lego than to Sony Interactive Entertainment or Xbox game division.

But if you’re Sony, it can be demoralizing (IDK how could it be not) to see someone with so little effort, minimal workforce and just lazy work outsell you so much when you poured heart and soul working 12 hours a day for years to create something like Uncharted 4, Spiderman, GoW or TLOU 2.

Bodomism

Banned
Nintendo is not a competitor to Sony, despite how weird that sounds. They don’t overlap anywhere in terms of demographics and game design. Switch’s main forte is portability just like with many previous Nintendo handhelds that solidified that image. That’s why Vita never took off, that space and mind share is firmly in Nintendo’s hands.

Nintendo is in its own category. They recycle same franchises for thirty years that have widespread recognition but don’t push this medium forward in terms of audiovisual and gameplay mechanics system. They’re closer to Lego than to Sony Interactive Entertainment or Xbox game division.

But if you’re Sony, it can be demoralizing (IDK how could it be not) to see someone with so little effort, minimal workforce and just lazy work outsell you so much when you poured heart and soul working 12 hours a day for years to create something like Uncharted 4, Spiderman, GoW or TLOU 2.
Zelda BOTW gameplay system alone is more complex than all of those Sony games combined.

Ten_Fold

To me the Switch has the best games out right now, BOTW, Mario odyssey, Smash and their good selection of jrpgs. The games probably don’t cost a ton to make, hell the graphics of most games are like PS3 level which I doubt cost a crazy amount to make so all Nintendo sees is $$$$$$

GhostOfTsu

Banned
That's great but as much as people want it to happen there is no rivalry between the Switch and the PS5.

Nintendo is doing their own thing and they will never be surpassed. Most games don't even come out on Switch. There is no comparison possible like Xbox vs PS.

MagnesG

Banned
Zelda BOTW gameplay system alone is more complex than all of those Sony games combined.
Yes, they could absolutely try doing the interconnected systems in BOTW that is pretty much active throughout the game. They don't need to though just sprinkle in cinematic walking simulator atmosphere people would already go wow GOTY.

Isn't it odd that a porting machine with lower hardware specs, sold at an inflated price is more lucrative?

Genius move Nintendo, after the "timed availability Mario ports", you have proven that your user base will eat shit from you and be happy about it.
The Switch is priced at just the right amount with its specs in 2017 - $257 for overall factory production. No lucrative nonsense.
Also the notion where Nintendo fans are actually happy with the limited availability products is just bullshit, the games are just that good to pass up on.

Bragr

Banned
Publishing internally developed games on their own system = all royalties goes straight to the bank.

They don't need third parties, that's always been their secret sauce and it's the reason why they are still around.

Arkam

Good for Nintendo! They needed a win badly after the WiiU (which I loved). And the profits are not surprising at all. They have moved a lot of HW and that HW has a nice profit margin since most of the tech was little to no R&D by Nintendo and not doing a price drop. Add on that most of their big selling games are WiiU ports that probably had minimal costs and you have the recipe for record profits.

And they are well deserved. I love my OG Switch. Was in fact my preferred platform "last gen".

It will be curious how the next few years go. They will have less and less WiiU ports available.... but now has a large base, so it might be a wash and continue to snowball.

Top Bottom