• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY22-23 Q1 Earnings report, Hardware 3.43m, LTD 111.08m.

Soltype

Just picked one up, enjoying it so far, it's a little too pricey , but software is good though. If they drop the price this christmas, they'll keep the steam going.On another note, I can't believe how bad the online system is, it doesn't feel that much better than what the Wii had.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Any chance it will touch DS level of numbers?
Even if the Switch gets some very compelling software over the next 18 months, I think it would be rather hard to sell an additional 45 Million units.

I can see the Switch getting to 135 by FY 2024 maybe sniffing 140.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Any chance it will touch DS level of numbers?
Probably not but it might get pretty close. However the software library is heading that way as in the wierdest games get to be released because devs want them regardless of how much they might sell, making it just like the DS in that respect it's the one thing i loved about the DS era so many obscure fun games hidden away. The library on switch is insane especially if you plunder all regions. Even smaller indie titles make seriously good sales on switch because the install base is so vast which is why so many 3rd party games get released on switch now. I give zero shits about graphical power i want fun & unusual arcade style games, shmups, rhythm games and much more. Something next gen hasn't been able to provide me so i won't be joining till they do. PSVR2 will make me fold eventually as those games tend to go in VR just like what made me cave in & get a PS4.

It's funny watching parts of gaf meltdown because nextgen didn't kill the switch off the reverse happened. Never imagined that nintendo would obliterate sony in japan of all places and put a hell of a fight up in the west.

Unknown?

Bar charts for hardware and Software

AgLJzTa.png

iVRgNUg.png
Still good but it has hit its peak and is at the usual decline for the life cycle. Sharp decline next year will follow.

Seems like we’re looking at another 20+M this fiscal year, which means it will be at around 130M by the end of march. I still remember when certain members would say that the PS5 would kill the Switch and similar nonsense.

Woopah

When the Switch 2 arrives at $299 they'll drop the Switch OLED to $199, drop the normal Switch and sell the Switch Lite for $99. Good bye PS2 record.
They are not going to drop the OLED price by $150. At best they'll drop OLED to $299 and release the next model at $399
how much does it need to pass the wii, the ds?
It's already 10 million more than the Wii. Needs another 40 million to pass the DS and 45 million to pass the PS2.

blacktout

I really hope Xeno 3 ends up outselling no effort products like Switch Sports and Mario Strikers, not holding my breath though.

Xenoblade might get pretty close to Mario Strikers, since it seems like it had the strongest debut in the series, at least in some regions. Strikers might have stronger legs (ugh), but word of mouth is pretty tepid, so maybe not. No hope of it coming anywhere near Switch Sports though, of course.

Doesn't look like it.

What's your reasoning, here? Even if Nintendo misses their 21 million goal by a bit, the Switch should still be at 125 million+ by the end of the fiscal year. That would leave it 30 million shy of the PS2 and DS, which means it would have to average 15 million for the following two fiscal years to get there. The Switch hasn't had a (full) fiscal year under 15 million yet, so you would need a pretty dramatic drop to take it out of contention. Now, that could definitely happen, especially if Nintendo announces a successor soon, but we currently have no idea if that's going to happen, since they could just as easily announce another revision that's still part of the Switch family, which would *increase* its chances of surpassing the DS/PS2 rather than decreasing them. And, also, there's always the chance that the Switch successor will be a very similar device with backwards compatibility and that Nintendo will continue to release games for the OG Switch, slash the price, and market it as an entry level device for a few more years. We really do not have the information we need to say anything about sales beyond the end of this year.

Woopah

Nintendo won't release a $399 console. They know $299 is the mass market price.
With inflation and the chip shortage, I can't see them releasing the next model at $299 when the OLED is already selling well at $349. The next model will be priced higher than the OLED and there's no reason to give OLED such a huge price cut.

ManaByte

With inflation and the chip shortage, I can't see them releasing the next model at $299 when the OLED is already selling well at $349. The next model will be priced higher than the OLED and there's no reason to give OLED such a huge price cut.

The new system won't be out for at least two years. It'll launch at $299.

Deerock71

They're incredibly fortunate Covid came along when it did otherwise they'd be getting steamrolled right now. Haven't turned mine on since BOTW.
Yes, there are also 111 milllions more that haven't turned their's on since BotW, either! You're not just a barometer: you're scientific LAW, my friend!

Switch is a god damn beast. I still think PS2 will keep its crown though in the end, if only just.
PS2 sold 24m consoles in the last 3 years of its life while barely selling any software. It was quite the special case. That $99 price point made it attractive even for non-gamers.

Woopah

what would you define as a successor and what would be a revision?
It depends entirely on how Nintendo themselves position it.
Remember last month when everyone swore a new model was going to be announced and it just turned out to be the Splatoon Switch?
]
I'm not basing my thoughts on privated YouTube videos, I'm basing it on the leak we got from Nvidia and the rumours about the new dev kits.

ManaByte

I'm not basing my thoughts on privated YouTube videos, I'm basing it on the leak we got from Nvidia and the rumours about the new dev kits.

Ok, so this is the "Switch Pro" all over again. Before the OLED came out insiders were swearing that devs got new dev kits and were making 4K games. Then the OLED released.

Stop listening to Nintendo "insiders" claiming new hardware is secretly being used by devs. They're always full of shit. They tell people what they want to hear for clout.

I really dont understand why animal crossing sells so much.

Its extremely repetitive and i already stop playing. The gameplay feels very outdated to me.

Furthermore the multiplayer function is just atrocious.
your experience doesnt matter, you had enough interest to buy. As well many others.

Im surrounded by people that bought a switch and animal crossing. And havent touched it. All because of Covid.

Spyxos

I really dont understand why animal crossing sells so much.

Its extremely repetitive and i already stop playing. The gameplay feels very outdated to me.

Furthermore the multiplayer function is just atrocious.
Me too. Got it in lockdown and let it there for ever.

Reallink

When the Switch 2 arrives at $299 they'll drop the Switch OLED to $199, drop the normal Switch and sell the Switch Lite for $99. Good bye PS2 record.
Doesn't work like that anymore. The cost to manufacture even decrepit hardware and components is far too expensive to do the rock bottom price cuts. Additionally, Switch 2 will share many of the same components making them a waste to devote to dead end EoL'ed hardware. PS4 never saw less than $299 for these reasons. If it was at all possible or profitable to have dropped it to $199 or $149 Sony would have done it.

your experience doesnt matter, you had enough interest to buy. As well many others.

Im surrounded by people that bought a switch and animal crossing. And havent touched it. All because of Covid.

I bought it for my Niece's Birthday cause she plays those terrible knockoffs on Roblox nonstop that look and "play" like Freshman student projects from 1999. I think she played it all of once before going back to Roblox, which she continues to play multiple hours everyday while buying Robux hand over fist.

Last edited:

Woopah

Ok, so this is the "Switch Pro" all over again. Before the OLED came out insiders were swearing that devs got new dev kits and were making 4K games. Then the OLED released.

Stop listening to Nintendo "insiders" claiming new hardware is secretly being used by devs. They're always full of shit. They tell people what they want to hear for clout.
I wouldnt call Takashi Mochizuki an "insider" but we know he has contacts in the industry.

The leaks we got from Nvidia match with what he said (though he did confuse this chip information with the information on OLED he got from his screen contacts, and thought they were for the same model).

They've been able to stave off price cuts for longer than perhaps any other console in history, but the time is coming. This is all good stuff. The YoY comparables were never going to be matched. The system is going into year 6 in 2023, and it's getting to be near time for either a bridge-gap system like a Super Switch, or a successor in the next 2 years.

2,900,000 copies as for last quarter, best selling Metroid game.
Love it! No doubt Mercurysteam already given the greenlight in the last 9-12 months to make another. So glad to see Metroid making a comeback, and excited to see what Retro's been able to do with their vision for Prime 4. It can't be too much longer, now!

Ezquimacore

Banned
This is even better considering certain individuals are touting that Nintendo games sell on mostalgia alone. BotW proves it to be total bull by being the best selling game in it's 35 year old franchise. And it's not alone.
Nintendo use their old franchise in new ways to get old and new fans. Basically what DC, Marvel, Disney, Hello Kitty and anyone with huge franchises try to do.

Oberstein

I can't believe Ring Fit Adventure sold so much... over 14 million is crazy for a turn-based fitness/RPG game.

Massive numbers in any case, maybe on its way to dethrone the PS4 considering the Switch 2 isn't coming out anytime soon.

Top Bottom