• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY2017 3rd Quarter Results (3DS HW LTD 65.3 mln)

Oregano

The only other possibility is that the Wii U AC that was most likely moved to Switch was an enhanced version of New Leaf and had this feature in it. They realized it would be too far off so they downported the feature into the 3DS version. That's my theory.

I bet Splatoon 2 is the Black Friday pack in. They already had Wii U Mario Kart bundles and it is just a port. Splatoon 2 is atleast a new game in their hot new franchise.

Well I think they should/could do a $50 price drop and bundle in MK8 Deluxe at the same time. Another advantage MK8D has it that is shows off single Joycon play.

I think the people expecting a $50 price cut and a free game with Switch for Holiday 2017 are in for major disappointment. Nintendo will sell Switch for $299 well into 2018 imo even if it doesn't sell extremely well. They showed with Wii U that they would rather sell 2 million consoles and make a profit rather than sell 5 million while losing money.

Oregano

I think the people expecting a $50 price cut and a free game with Switch for Holiday 2017 are in for major disappointment. Nintendo will sell Switch for $299 well into 2018 imo even if it doesn't sell extremely well. They showed with Wii U that they would rather sell 2 million consoles and make a profit rather than sell 5 million while losing money.

The Switch will never replace the 3DS then and we'll be seeing Nintendo drop hardware by 2020.

jonno394

Wii U was selling at a loss from Day 1, they didn't really have much wiggle room, so any price cut just made the Wii U a bigger loss for them.

Selling the console at a profit from launch allows that room for maneuvering the price closer to the holidays. I'd imagine either a digital copy of 1-2 Switch or Mario Kart 8 being a bundled title around the holiday period, rather than a price drop.

Oregano

Hope you have a bag of crows at the ready.

That honestly wouldn't make any sense.

If Nintendo's still trying to sell Switch at $300 in 2018 with no other replacement for the 3DS then they're done, and if they do have a separate replacement for the 3DS they've learnt nothing from their mistakes and will cannibalize their own platform.

At $300 the Switch will sell closer to Wii U than 3DS. Guaranteed.

If Nintendo's still trying to sell Switch at $300 in 2018 with no other replacement for the 3DS then they're done, and if they do have a separate replacement for the 3DS they've learnt nothing from their mistakes and will cannibalize their own platform.

At $300 the Switch will sell closer to Wii U than 3DS. Guaranteed.

It won't still be $300 in 2020. It's positioned in a way that makes price drops probable.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So dedicated thread for the Corporate Investor Meeting? I suppose we'll use this one then. I'm wondering if the following topics will get discussed

- Switch first / third party support
- some comments on the online structure, even if vague
- updates on digital sales
- maybe even QOL?

Slightly hyped :p

ezgif.com-video-to-gif5d1bd.gif

jonno394

So dedicated thread for the Corporate Investor Meeting? I suppose we'll use this one then. I'm wondering if the following topics will get discussed

- maybe even QOL?

I hope that during the Q&A that at least one investor will ask "How will the online service charge affect revenue going forward?" which will prompt discussion of the cost. Other than that, no idea.

Mario Kart 8 had one hell of an attach rate

It seemed like the big game that was promoted heavily by Nintendo. There was the game promotion as well, giving you a free digital Nintendo game in the first month when you registered the game. DLC helped its longevity as well. It definitely sold extremely well when it reaches above 8 million sold on a console with 13 million units sold.

It seemed like the big game that was promoted heavily by Nintendo. There was the game promotion as well, giving you a free digital Nintendo game in the first month when you registered the game. DLC helped its longevity as well. It definitely sold extremely well when it reaches above 8 million sold on a console with 13 million units sold.

Did anyone post this as well? lol
www.polygon.com/2014/5/15/5718168/mario-kart-series-sales
"Mario Kart 8 will likely be the worst-selling game in franchise history, here's why"

To be fair, Mario Kart Wii was a monster, always sold out, always restocked like water... Use to see those Mario Kart and wii games in general come in like mad.

Polygon was still quite wrong, even though it was more in their subject head that was for hits and where they truly went wrong.

routerbad

Banned

I'm going to credit the Luigi death stare for this.

Crazyorloco

And people are surprised and want Nintendo to stop supporting the 3DS? These sales are great for the system and it deserves to be supported. It's helping them keep afloat and funds Nintendo future products.

Especially if they're making a profit day one from each console sold for Switch.

Nintendo primarily being video game company ohas to do this to make profit. Wii U while a great system, really hurt them financially. The new Nintendo president lacks the personality Iwata had, but is pretty good with money given his history. He's modest when he reports on the system (preorders "good"), he won't be happy until it consistently sells great 3 years from now.

- maybe even QOL?

So this will have the traditional slide presentation followed by Q&A?

In that case I expect Switch forecast updates for this FY and tentative forecasts for next FY, as well as updates on digital sales as you said. Probably not much about new or unannounced Switch games, probably a tiny bit about Wii U, a moderate bit about 3DS, and a hell of a lot about mobile games, specifically Mario Run's performance and projections for when it releases on Android.

I'm betting they'll get a question about whether Switch will replace 3DS in the future, which should be an interesting answer. Probably nothing about Switch online services. Maybe a question about Switch working with smartphones in general though...

I think the Switch forecasts for next FY (if they are here) and the Q&A will be the most interesting parts of this meeting.

Im going to message you the day switch hits 14 million in a year or two.

He's saying if the price never drops before 2020. Which I'd probably agree with.

For those interested: If I'm reading it correctly, their Wii U forecast from October 2012, i.e. a month before launch, was 5.5m until March 2013.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496881

They weren't too far off it seems. It got close to 4M by that time, right? So much better than their 19M forecast for the next FY (IIRC).

This seems to suggest based on history that we might not get a forecast for next FY, but considering it's only 2 months until the end of this FY (vs October being 5-6 months from the end of the FY) I think it's likely.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I do not see much potential here, toys to life is dying, and amiibo has never offered much of anything for usefulness. People will eventually move on

That opinion is fine to have and all but he was replying to you saying sales were tanking, which is simply false based on the numbers in this very thread.

routerbad

Banned
That makes the high accessory pricing seem more obviously like gouging. I wondered if they were trying to close a cost gap on the main unit. Guess not.

Cancel the pre-orders GAF. Can you believe these guys want to sell their product at a PROFIT?!

In all seriousness, $10 more for a pro controller with a crapton more tech inside, and $20 more than the competition for split controllers with a crapton more tech, two individual controllers for local multiplayer, and oculus level motion and gesture control is not gouging. The move set still retails for more than the joycons and they suck and are needed for PSVR (if I'm not mistaken don't kill me gaf). The Oculus controllers go for $200 for, yet again, not as many features.

Isn't it actually kind of crazy for a system to have YoY growth in its sixth year on the market and a successor out in a few months?
Yeah. We kept hearing reports of 3DS shortages during the holidays, but in the end they were actually shipping slightly more than before, so it seems to have just been unexpectedly high demand.
Remember when everyone counted down the hours to these praying for a mention of "NX" Good times!

What does everyone expect 3DS to finish on, is 75 million possible ?
Amount their portables shipped after the successor was released:
GB/C: ~5 million
GBA: ~20 million
DS: ~9 million

Seems pretty possible, especially since it continues to own the under-$200 portable console market.
airmangataosenai said:
So crazy the Wii U is still not at 100 million software. Even taking lower install basw into account it is still tracking for a worse tie ratio than Gamecube.
Well, GameCube does have Nintendo's best tie ratio ever. Though I guess this does indicate the small Wii U crowd isn't as nuts about it as the small GameCube crowd was.

Though digital games really throw a wrench into that too.

Bitanator

That opinion is fine to have and all but he was replying to you saying sales were tanking, which is simply false based on the numbers in this very thread.

That is fair, my words were on the south side of being realistic. Let me ask you if you think that they will keep at this pace it is at now, which admittedly is not that impressive to begin with

Celine

Depends on how you group or split up Street Fighter 2, I guess. All of the 16bit versions combined were over 15M, but the best selling single version (vanilla SF2 on SNES) was a bit over 6M.
Only counting the million seller, SF2 combined shipped 14.05M on 16 bit consoles (mostly on SNES actually).

Cancel the pre-orders GAF. Can you believe these guys want to sell their product at a PROFIT?!

In all seriousness, $10 more for a pro controller with a crapton more tech inside, and $20 more than the competition for split controllers with a crapton more tech, two individual controllers for local multiplayer, and oculus level motion and gesture control is not gouging. The move set still retails for more than the joycons and they suck and are needed for PSVR (if I'm not mistaken don't kill me gaf). The Oculus controllers go for $200 for, yet again, not as many features.

Did I mention anyone else's products, prices, or tech? No. Your comparison is hilariously biased towards Nintendo, but that's beside the point.

My point was: I assumed the tech inside the joycons, etc was expensive, and that is what was driving the high accessory prices. If it's true that the Switch launch bundle is selling at a profit, then I am questioning that assumption about expense. And by extension, the accessory prices.

But by all means, go ahead with your "cancel preorder LOL" clown show. Pre-orders are another thing I didn't mention, by the way.

In all seriousness, $10 more for a pro controller with a crapton more tech inside, and $20 more than the competition for split controllers with a crapton more tech, two individual controllers for local multiplayer, and oculus level motion and gesture control is not gouging.

What exactly does the Pro Controller have that has a "crapton" more tech more than the PS4 or XBO controllers? NFC / amiibo compatibility is the only notable difference from the features the PS4 / XBO controllers don't have, and I don't think that alone warrants a $10 price increase.

Not trying to instigate a list war of features each controller has to justify their perspective value, but I don't really think the Pro Controller really brings anything to the table that separates it from its contemporaries in the same way that the Joy-Cons do.

Celine

So crazy the Wii U is still not at 100 million software. Even taking lower install basw into account it is still tracking for a worse tie ratio than Gamecube.
This is not a chart updated with the latest figures (data as March 2016) but you can easily spot who is gonna make the difference between GC and WiiU SW sales.
WiiU will go down in history as the most first-party oriented Nintendo console ever.
But it was simply impossible for Nintendo alone, considering the budget required to create and market a game in the current industry and WiiU very low install base, to relase more games and with more variety to compensate for the lack of third-party games.

d6BtzSi.png

Note that what is referred as "First-party total software sales" in the graph above is actually only the sum of Nintendo million seller games.
Of course some Nintendo games could have shipped less than 1 million units therefore this is really an approximation of "First-party total software sales".
This approximation however should be close enough to the actual value since historically Nintendo games often ship more than 1 million units therefore composing the majority of the software sales sold by Nintendo.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That is fair, my words were on the south side of being realistic. Let me ask you if you think that they will keep at this pace it is at now, which admittedly is not that impressive to begin with

I don't think anyone can know as we've had sporadic amiibo releases and the Wii U is a dead console.

It will never reach the madness that it was in its first year but I can see it being an ongoing aspect of what Nintendo does. I actually think not being linked to a specific game is what will help it last.

The amiibo for Breath of the Wild should sell well and when they release Cloud and Bayonetta long with the Smash 4 Switch port, I think those could be big.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Thread for briefing coming up momentarily. Here's a countdown to when it starts:

t1485910800z4.png

The Switch will never replace the 3DS then and we'll be seeing Nintendo drop hardware by 2020.

I think they could hold out until 2018 because the franchises are there (ports or not) first year.

Otherwise, I totally agree. Without the system naturally turning into Nintendo's handheld platform through price cuts, it doesn't have a chance. Current price is way out of many consumer's idea of Nintendo handheld pricing, but we'll see I guess.

Maybe Nintendo can make a compelling value proposition with franchise hype though their choices otherwise don't instill confidence.

What exactly does the Pro Controller have that has a "crapton" more tech more than the PS4 or XBO controllers? NFC / amiibo compatibility is the only notable difference from the features the PS4 / XBO controllers don't have, and I don't think that alone warrants a $10 price increase.
Versus Xbone controller anyway: Battery, NFC, HD rumble, motion controls. Dual Shock 4 is a bit less lacking and has some unique features of its own.

Top Bottom