• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Financial results of Q2/2020 - Switch sales 68,3 million

Nintendo has announced it's financial results on November 5th:

– Net sales in Q1 – 358,106 million yen
– Net sales in Q2 – 411,418 million yen
– Operating income in Q1: 144,737 million yen
– Operating income in Q2: 146,687 million yen
– Net profit in Q1: 106,482 million yen
– Net profit in Q2: 106,641 million yen

– Switch hardware total: 68.30 million
– Switch software total: 456.49 million
– 3DS hardware total: 75.94 million
– 3DS software total: 385.12 million

– Switch sales in Q1: 3.05 million
– Switch sales in Q2: 5.31 million
– Switch Lite sales in Q1: 2.62 million
– Switch Lite sales in Q2: 1.55 million
– Switch forecast: 24 million for hardware, 170 million for software

– Smart devices, IP related income, etc. in Q1 – 13.278 million yen
– Smart devices, IP related income, etc. in Q2 – 13.449 million yen

In addition, million-seller list was updated:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 28.99 million
Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 26.04 million
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 21.10 million
Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 19.74 million
Pokemon Sword/Shield – 19.02 million
Super Mario Odyssey – 18.99 million
Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu / Eevee – 12.49 million
Super Mario Party – 12.10 million
Splatoon 2 – 11.27 million
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 8.32 million
Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 7.83 million
Ring Fit Adventure – 5.84 million
Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 5.21 million
Paper Mario: The Origami King – 2.82 million
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 1.81 million
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition – 1.40 million

All these figures are up to end of September 2020.

Source: NintendoEverything
Why is mario kart port number 1? Game seems pointless to me, especially if you don't have people to play it with. I guess parents buy it for their kids. Don't even get me started on the appeal of anmial crossing, as I don't get it.

Glad Xenoblade and Mario 3d all stars got some love, well deserved. Is the software only for this year, and just first party? IF so where is fire emblem?

I own over 80 games on my switch, damn you sales (mostly 3rd party and indies as nintendo 1st party is stingy) and its only 2 years old for me.
Love the switch, can't wait to play some Tropico 6 tonight as it unlocks.

I will say if the switch didn't have the 3rd party support and was just like the wii-u I wouldn't of picked it up. It lived way up over my expectations and made me forget all about the vita and 3ds /dedicated handhelds going away. The switch took their place, as I barely use the dock, besides to charge, although I like having the option.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Wii achieved 100.4M (shipped) on June 30th, 2013. So around 7 years and 7 months. PS4 has the record, achieving 100M on 5 years and 7 months:

Wii had its peak on its 2nd-4th FY and it was way higher than usual, but then went down 'quickly'. Consoles like PS2, PS4 or maybe even PS1 had until now a sales curve more similar to the Switch one: their peak was less tall than the switch one, was a FY later and after they had a slower decrease, having good sales during more years and lasting more FYs, resulting on a higher total amount of sales higher than the Wii ones.

Thanks.

Pretty safe to say the Switch will get that record.

We're 3.5 years in, and the Switch still hasn't gotten a permanent price cut. The PS2 launched at $299 and already had a MSRP of $149 at this point in its lifecycle. The DS launched at $149 and had its first price cut within nine months.

These sales are unprecedented. If Switch sales start to slow down, Nintendo could maintain their momentum simply by lowering the price. They haven't had the need to do that. Once the Switch starts dropping in price, the sales numbers are going to really take off.

Last edited:

Woopah

I am not sure people only buy a system instead of both. There should be overlap between Wii and DS owners. Going from potentially a Wii + DS combo to a single product seems to me to put pressure on doing as good as both combined.
Not at all. PS4 was never expected to do PS3 and PSP numbers combined, nor should anyone expect it to. The success of a system can be based on multiple things, but saying Switch has to sell 250 million copies to be successful is crazy.

Hudo

We're 3.5 years in, and the Switch still hasn't gotten a permanent price cut. The PS2 launched at $299 and already had a MSRP of $149 at this point in its lifecycle. The DS launched at $149 and had its first price cut within nine months.

These sales are unprecedented. If Switch sales start to slow down, Nintendo could maintain their momentum simply by lowering the price. They haven't had the need to do that. Once the Switch starts dropping in price, the sales numbers are going to really take off.
I think we'll see a price cut on the original model (and probably the Switch Lite as well) when the Switch Pro releases.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wii achieved 100.4M (shipped) on June 30th, 2013. So around 7 years and 7 months. PS4 has the record, achieving 100M on 5 years and 7 months:

Wii had its peak on its 2nd-4th FY and it was way higher than usual, but then went down 'quickly'. Consoles like PS2, PS4 or maybe even PS1 had until now a sales curve more similar to the Switch one: their peak was less tall than the switch one, was a FY later and after they had a slower decrease, having good sales during more years and lasting more FYs, resulting on a higher total amount of sales higher than the Wii ones.

Thanks for this.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not at all. PS4 was never expected to do PS3 and PSP numbers combined, nor should anyone expect it to. The success of a system can be based on multiple things, but saying Switch has to sell 250 million copies to be successful is crazy.

PS4 + PS Vita was expected to do PS3 + PSP in a best case scenario of course. Why not?

Woopah

PS4 + PS Vita was expected to do PS3 + PSP in a best case scenario of course. Why not?
That comparison is fine because you're comparing 2 products against 2 products.

Switch has different revisions but it is still one product that plays one set of games. Its success can be compared against that of the DS, the 3DS or the Wii, but not against the combined sales of multiple systems. No one should expect the Switch to sell more they the combined sales of Nintendo's most popular handheld and their most popular console.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That comparison is fine because you're comparing 2 products against 2 products.

Switch has different revisions but it is still one product that plays one set of games. Its success can be compared against that of the DS, the 3DS or the Wii, but not against the combined sales of multiple systems. No one should expect the Switch to sell more they the combined sales of Nintendo's most popular handheld and their most popular console.

Look, Switch is a great console that is selling gang busters this is not a slight to it, but if you make two product lines selling 10 million units each so 20 million units total to make an example and you replace them with a single product line that sells 12-16 million units total you are still selling less HW... right?

Woopah

Look, Switch is a great console that is selling gang busters this is not a slight to it, but if you make two product lines selling 10 million units each so 20 million units total to make an example and you replace them with a single product line that sells 12-16 million units total you are still selling less HW... right?
Yes, but when you go from selling 2 products to 1 product you change your hardware expectations accordingly. Nintendo was not needing Switch to sell 250 million to be successful, just like Sony will not need the PS5 to sell 167 million (PSP + PS3) to be successful. Their business models have changed.

Bodomism

Banned
Nintendo made more profits in Q1 and Q2 this FY more than any FY during Wii/DS era and likely to break the highest profits record of all video game profits history as well in this FY.

Basically Switch profits > Wii/DS profits and Nintendo loved it more than just unit sales PR wording because money is the most important aspect for business company like Nintendo.

Nintendo made more profits in Q1 and Q2 this FY more than any FY during Wii/DS era and likely to break the highest profits record of all video game profits history as well in this FY.

Basically Switch profits > Wii/DS profits and Nintendo loved it more than just unit sales PR wording because money is the most important aspect for business company like Nintendo.

Which company doesn't care about money?

Chittagong

Gold Member
7f5.gif

Shaqazooloo

Updated numbers for the other million sellers, these are as of June 2020

1-2 Switch -- 3.31m
ARMS -- 2.47m
Astral Chain -- 1.14m
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (NSW) -- 1.58m
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (NSW) -- 2.93m
Fire Emblem: Three Houses -- 3.02m
Kirby Star Allies -- 3.15m
Mario Tennis Aces -- 3.29m
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order -- 1.13m
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit -- 1.37m
Octopath Traveler (outside Japan) -- 1.68m
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX -- 1.43m
Pokkén Tournament DX (outside Japan) -- 1.80m
Super Mario Maker 2 -- 5.89m
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (NSW) -- 4.57m
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 -- 2.05m
Yoshi's Crafted World -- 2.09m

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/post-50701693

Last edited:

Andyliini

1-2 Switch -- 3.31m
ARMS -- 2.47m
Astral Chain -- 1.14m

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/post-50701693

Great things to note about this are that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is officially the best selling Xeno-franchise game, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses is the best selling Fire Emblem game ever.

It bodes well for the future of those series. Hopefully Paper Mario: The Origami King can also become a biggest seller in it's own sub-series.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
These are eye-watering numbers, and well deserved. However, I believe the Switch sales drop off could be steep once Nintendo exhausts all their 1st party studios sometime in 2022, which is why I really believe they should invest in acquiring some good studios to help the pipeline stay fresh.

Quality software, the prohibitive cost of video games for millions with next-gen, and console revisions could push sales over 100 million by this time next year.

MagnesG

Banned
These are eye-watering numbers, and well deserved. However, I believe the Switch sales drop off could be steep once Nintendo exhausts all their 1st party studios sometime in 2022, which is why I really believe they should invest in acquiring some good studios to help the pipeline stay fresh.

Quality software, the prohibitive cost of video games for millions with next-gen, and console revisions could push sales over 100 million by this time next year.
Possible 2021/2022 releases: Metroid Prime trilogy, new metroid 2d, mario kart 9, mario odyssey sequel/ new mario 2d.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

1-2 Switch -- 3.31m
ARMS -- 2.47m
Astral Chain -- 1.14m

I wish XC2 had sold better. Sure, those numbers are good going off the "series" and what it usually sells. But that game had more soul in it than all the other games put together IMO. Also RIP Astral Chain this is why we can't have nice things.

6EG3vxV.png

Brazen

i don't see how anybody can expect people who bought a handled and home console before to buy two switch now for the sake of it
expecting that is having illogical and unrealistic expectation imo.
But maybe some guys at Nintendo have square enix like exceptions

Just wait until mom, dad, and all siblings of a family get their own switch.

Edit- I never thought I'd see Zelda become a 20+ million seller, that's insane.

Well deserved Nintendo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom