• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Financial results of Q2/2020 - Switch sales 68,3 million

Andyliini

Nintendo has announced it's financial results on November 5th:

– Net sales in Q1 – 358,106 million yen
– Net sales in Q2 – 411,418 million yen
– Operating income in Q1: 144,737 million yen
– Operating income in Q2: 146,687 million yen
– Net profit in Q1: 106,482 million yen
– Net profit in Q2: 106,641 million yen

– Switch hardware total: 68.30 million
– Switch software total: 456.49 million
– 3DS hardware total: 75.94 million
– 3DS software total: 385.12 million

– Switch sales in Q1: 3.05 million
– Switch sales in Q2: 5.31 million
– Switch Lite sales in Q1: 2.62 million
– Switch Lite sales in Q2: 1.55 million
– Switch forecast: 24 million for hardware, 170 million for software

– Smart devices, IP related income, etc. in Q1 – 13.278 million yen
– Smart devices, IP related income, etc. in Q2 – 13.449 million yen

During the six months ended September 30, 2020, for Nintendo Switch, Paper Mario: The Origami King, released in July, selling 2.82 million units and Super Mario 3D All-Stars, released in September as part of the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary campaign, is off to a good start, recording sales of 5.21 million units. Titles released in previous fiscal years have also continued to sell well, with no loss of momentum. Of particular note within this group is Animal Crossing: New Horizons, with sales growing to 14.27 million units (for cumulative sales of 26.04 million units), contributing significantly to the overall growth in software sales and driving hardware sales. Sales of titles from other software publishers also continued to grow steadily. There is a total of 20 million seller titles (including titles from other software publishers) this fiscal year. As a result of these factors, hardware and software sales both rose on a year-on-year basis, with hardware sales reaching 12.53 million units (80.9% increase on a year-on-year basis), and software sales reaching 100.25 million units (71.4% increase on a year-on-year basis).

Turning to our digital business for dedicated video game platforms, the growth in sales of downloadable versions of packaged software for Nintendo Switch, as well as the steady sales of download-only software, add-on content, and Nintendo Switch Online, helped to bring overall digital sales to 171.5 billion yen (139.4% increase on a year-on-year basis).
For the mobile business, many consumers continue to enjoy applications that were released in previous fiscal years, and our mobile, IP related income reached 26.7 billion yen (33.9% increase on a year-on-year basis).

As a result of these factors, total sales reached 769.5 billion yen, with overseas sales of 596.4 billion yen accounting for 77.5% of the total. Operating profit came to 291.4 billion yen, ordinary profit was 297.4 billion yen, and net profit attributable to owners of parent totaled 213.1 billion yen.

For Nintendo Switch, we have Pikmin 3 Deluxe and Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit slated for October, with Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury scheduled for release in February as part of the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary campaign. In addition to the second round of add-on content available with Pokémon Sword Expansion Pass and Pokémon Shield Expansion Pass, The Crown Tundra, coming in October, there is also a robust variety of appealing titles from other software publishers scheduled to be released.

We will work to keep the platform active with new titles and by reinforcing sales of popular titles that have already been released.
In our mobile business, we will focus on operations that encourage more consumers to continue to enjoy playing the applications that have been previously released.
Also, as part of our Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary celebrations, the handheld game series Game & Watch (originally launched in 1980) is being brought back as part of a collaboration with Super Mario Bros., in the November launch of Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. We have various campaigns and collaborations related to Super Mario planned.

In addition, million-seller list was updated:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 28.99 million
Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 26.04 million
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 21.10 million
Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 19.74 million
Pokemon Sword/Shield – 19.02 million
Super Mario Odyssey – 18.99 million
Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu / Eevee – 12.49 million
Super Mario Party – 12.10 million
Splatoon 2 – 11.27 million
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 8.32 million
Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 7.83 million
Ring Fit Adventure – 5.84 million
Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 5.21 million
Paper Mario: The Origami King – 2.82 million
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 1.81 million
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition – 1.40 million

All these figures are up to end of September 2020.

Source: NintendoEverything

carlosrox

Banned
Good God.

Fucking insanity numbers.

Almost at 70 mil already? How does this speed compare to other consoles?

Absolutely deserved. Deserves to be one of if not the best selling console ever.

Switch has been a home run since the start and I cannot wait for the Switch 2.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Good God.

Absolutely deserved. Deserves to be one of if not the best selling console ever.

5M ahead of PS4 launch aligned and the lead is going to get bigger as the holiday Quarter coming. It's going to overtake Wii in the next Quarter as the fastest selling video game hardware of all times.

Good God.

Switch should be compared to handhelds as it is not traditional home console

More fair would be to compare it to wii+3ds combined sales, as lite is pure handheld and original is handheld + "home console".

Ps4+xbox are on different category so comparing to those doesnt tell much

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
hybrid blurring the lines will make it reach crazy numbers.
the flexibly on how/when to play and how friendly it is with adults/family agendas surely helps a lot too.

The demand on them is that Switch + Switch Lite is replacing home consoles + handheld sales: it is not entirely fair to ask them Wii + DS numbers, but not that unfair either...

Edit: still great numbers anyways.

Last edited:

martino

The demand on them is that Switch + Switch Lite is replacing home consoles + handheld sales: it is not entirely fair to ask them Wii + DS numbers, but not that unfair either...
it's something else and there is overlapping but how much ? difficult to say.
but asking for handled + home console number is not reasonable if you think 5 sec about it.

Last edited:

tkscz

Imagine if they drop the price of the Switch this christmas...

Considering they just got production back up and running after the effects of COVID, I'd assume that wouldn't have enough switches to do that.

On another note, that's about a net profit of $1.02 billion. It prints money?

H-I-M

tumblr_po2cx4qmmo1x0uneyo4_500.gifv

Bodomism

Banned
Where's the super awesome 1-2 Switch? Where's labo labo? Dead? Good. And keep it that way.

Lol. Are you still bitter about the PS4 doing it?
PS4 isn't doing anything lol.

Wanna see some surprising stats about profit my friend?

Nintendo profits during Nintendo Switch era(2017-2020)

wBXCbtM.png

+1.3 billion in this Quarter.

VS

Sony gaming division during PS4 era(2013-2020) with recent Q2 op.

iKwvJTF.png

Nintendo made 86% of total PlayStation division profits during PS4 era in just half of the years during Nintendo Switch era.

Last edited:

fermcr

Honestly, I couldn't care less for the Switch or Nintendo games. Most Nintendo 1st party games simply don't appeal for me... but those are fu**ing impressive numbers. Congrats Nintendo.

sixamp

Switch should be compared to handhelds as it is not traditional home console

More fair would be to compare it to wii+3ds combined sales, as lite is pure handheld and original is handheld + "home console".

Ps4+xbox are on different category so comparing to those doesnt tell much
No they aren't, switch is a home consoles/portable hybrid, it was designed to be both. It should absolutely be compared to other home consoles.

Well deserved, and I've never been happier to have been proven wrong in my fears for both the future of Nintendo and viability of handheld gaming, following the disasters of the WiiU, Vita and disappointment of 3DS.

I just hope we don't have to wait too long into next gen to get the Switch 2. I'm far more excited by the prospect of playing next gen games on the go than I am for playing them in 4k.

The switch is a monster. It is occupied as a niche right between Mobiles and Home Consoles. Might surpass 3DS
Do you mean 'might surpass DS'? It's going to breeze passed the 3DS this Christmas. Honestly, I now think 150m is genuinely doable.

Well deserved, and I've never been happier to have been proven wrong in my fears for both the future of Nintendo and viability of handheld gaming, following the disasters of the WiiU, Vita and disappointment of 3DS.

I just hope we don't have to wait too long into next gen to get the Switch 2. I'm far more excited by the prospect of playing next gen games on the go than I am for playing them in 4k.

Do you mean 'might surpass DS'? It's going to breeze passed the 3DS this Christmas. Honestly, I now think 150m is genuinely doable.
According to wiki the whole series of Nintendo DS sold around 150kk

Bodomism

Banned
Honestly, I couldn't care less for the Switch or Nintendo games. Most Nintendo 1st party games simply don't appeal for me... but those are fu**ing impressive numbers. Congrats Nintendo.
To give some perspectives.
Nintendo already made nearly 9 billion profits from 2017 to 2020 in comparison the whole playstation division made just 10 billion profits from 2013 to 2020.

According to wiki the whole series of Nintendo DS sold around 150kk
That's what I said. 150 thousand, thousand IS 150 million.

Which, yeah, sounds totally doable at this rate.

Although it will depend on how quickly they bring out their next gen replacement. Without needing to start over from scratch due to a WiiU like failure, there's no reason to wait until till midway through 9th gen to released the Switch 2, and that could heavily curtail the Switch sales towards the end of it's life.

Hardensoul

Nintendo has announced it's financial results on November 5th:

– Net sales in Q1 – 358,106 million yen
– Net sales in Q2 – 411,418 million yen
– Operating income in Q1: 144,737 million yen
– Operating income in Q2: 146,687 million yen
– Net profit in Q1: 106,482 million yen
– Net profit in Q2: 106,641 million yen

– Switch hardware total: 68.30 million
– Switch software total: 456.49 million
– 3DS hardware total: 75.94 million
– 3DS software total: 385.12 million

– Switch sales in Q1: 3.05 million
– Switch sales in Q2: 5.31 million
– Switch Lite sales in Q1: 2.62 million
– Switch Lite sales in Q2: 1.55 million
– Switch forecast: 24 million for hardware, 170 million for software

– Smart devices, IP related income, etc. in Q1 – 13.278 million yen
– Smart devices, IP related income, etc. in Q2 – 13.449 million yen

In addition, million-seller list was updated:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 21.10 million
Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 19.74 million
Pokemon Sword/Shield – 19.02 million
Super Mario Odyssey – 18.99 million
Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu / Eevee – 12.49 million
Super Mario Party – 12.10 million
Splatoon 2 – 11.27 million
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 8.32 million
Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 7.83 million
Ring Fit Adventure – 5.84 million
Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 5.21 million
Paper Mario: The Origami King – 2.82 million
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 1.81 million
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition – 1.40 million

All these figures are up to end of September 2020.

Source: NintendoEverything
BotW ahead of Odyssey, I’ve never seen Zelda ahead before!

Kinda a shame Super Mario 3D World is far below in sales compared to the the disapointment that was Mario Odyssey to me. But it was tied to the Wii U so I can see why.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
all Nintendo fanbase only buy one system instead of two....
also having less systems mean less possible revisions and sales coming with them.
where are your uncertainties coming from ?

I am not sure people only buy a system instead of both. There should be overlap between Wii and DS owners. Going from potentially a Wii + DS combo to a single product seems to me to put pressure on doing as good as both combined.

martino

I am not sure people only buy a system instead of both. There should be overlap between Wii and DS owners. Going from potentially a Wii + DS combo to a single product seems to me to put pressure on doing as good as both combined.
i don't see how anybody can expect people who bought a handled and home console before to buy two switch now for the sake of it
expecting that is having illogical and unrealistic expectation imo.
But maybe some guys at Nintendo have square enix like exceptions

Bodomism

Banned
Yup, just saying historically the sales are never this close. Love BoTW so much I basically around 8 copies for gifts! :messenger_smiling_hearts:
And most of those copies were sold at the full price point.

I think BOTW could potentially reach 30 million mark with more aggressive price points by Nintendo or even surpass the 35 million milestone.

Hardensoul

And most of those copies were sold at the full price point.

I think BOTW could potentially reach 30 million mark with more aggressive price points by Nintendo or even surpass the 35 million milestone.
Thanks to Gamer‘’s Club discount I didn’t buy full price! Sadly it expires this Friday.:messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Not bad, but let's not forget: Nintendo fucked up so hard with the Wii U, they basically lost an entire market: their home console market. Considering the Wii and DS, they used to sell more than 100 million of each, now they've fused their handheld and home console market and are at 70 million now. That's a huge loss, but it was inevitable.
The good thing is, the Switch concept is great and works great, so they've found their unique place, which is pretty good. They can build on that foundation for years and years to come, provided they are smart enough to actually stick to their hybrid concept, especially for Switch 2.

Top Bottom