• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Files Patent for Touch Pen Attached to Joy-Con Strap.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A new published patent in the US Patent Office by Nintendo, filed on June 4, 2019, reveals an invention that is actually something rather obvious in hindsight – a touch pen attachment for the Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons.

Essentially, it’s a Joy-Con strap that looks and is attached similarly to the original, but with an extra touch pen nub on top. As you might expect, this strap attachment is meant to work with the touchscreen in Handheld mode, utilizing detached Joy-Cons. What makes this ingenious is that it essentially means that you can utilize both touchscreen and button controls with just the Joy-Cons.

The patent also shows off some interesting uses of this touch pen strap, including game uses. In the above example, the touch pen is used to touch a box, and the game sends a signal to make the controller itself rumble as feedback to touching the box. This can be used alongside HD Rumble to rumble differently depending on whether it was a winning box or not.

In another example, an application of this dual controller is shown with a drawing game, where you can draw with the touch pen on the touchscreen of the Switch. By pressing a button, you can immediately change the thickness of the line drawn.

touch-pen-strap-2.jpg

touch-pen-strap-4.jpg

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
This looks...absurd? Where's the market for this unless they're porting handheld games.

Huh. Could be pretty cool. You could actually have 3D games where you can control your character and the camera with both control sticks, while also drawing stuff on the screen. I don't know exactly what kind of game would make use of that... but if anyone'd be able to find out, it'd be Nintendo, right?

My only complaint is that they're making all this stuff that doesn't work in most configurations. If you play on TV, this thing's useless. If you have a Switch Lite, buying a separate Joy-Con and the touch strap thing seems unlikely.

FStubbs

Huh. Could be pretty cool. You could actually have 3D games where you can control your character and the camera with both control sticks, while also drawing stuff on the screen. I don't know exactly what kind of game would make use of that... but if anyone'd be able to find out, it'd be Nintendo, right?

My only complaint is that they're making all this stuff that doesn't work in most configurations. If you play on TV, this thing's useless. If you have a Switch Lite, buying a separate Joy-Con and the touch strap thing seems unlikely.

Could always be something they do next gen. They're working on the Switch's successor as we speak.

Top Bottom