• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent for exercise controller/system with load/gyro/acc/temp sensor

It's a horseshoe to go with the horsebag

17isw1s2dxyp5jpg.jpg

Patents are great.

Can't find any more info on a US publication, but if this follows typical JP->WIPO cases there should at least be a US application already filed, and likely published within a few months.

Based on the text we do have, this looks like it could be an accessory for a console, or potentially a QOL hub, but it might also be a standalone product.

Either way it looks like QOL might not be as dead as we thought it was.

I think QoL was about monitoring your sleep.

They actually mentioned that QOL was a broad new business initiative, rather than a specific device. The first device they discussed under the QOL initiative was the sleep monitor. This could be the second.

Either way it looks like QOL might not be as dead as we thought it was.

The original Japanese patent was filled in 2014, and the international extension was registered in 2015, while reports about QoL being canned are from this year IIRC.

They actually mentioned that QOL was a broad new business initiative, rather than a specific device. The first device they discussed under the QOL initiative was the sleep monitor. This could be the second.

Hmm... Fair enough! Didn't they form a brand new division for medical stuff?

MilkyJoe

You can't help but think that PS and Microsoft are bringing out new hardware as soon as NX drops just to be wankers ha ha...

The original Japanese patent was filled in 2014, and the international extension was registered in 2015, while reports about QoL being canned are from this year IIRC.

Oh, that's a good point! They did mention this year that QoL was indefinitely on hold, so yeah maybe it is as dead as we thought (and as dead as pinocchio in those gifs).

Regardless this seems like a cool little device! Probably won't reach the market though, oh well.

Neiteio

I don't get the diagram joke.

*runs off crying*

edit: never mind, I get it now

I mean... I got it all along. Yeah! I was just testing you!

ANNOUNCE THE DAMN THING ALREADY, NINTENDO!

This is getting ridiculous! By the time they decide to unveil the thing they'll get half of it leaked!

The_Lump

Banned
ANNOUNCE THE DAMN THING ALREADY, NINTENDO!

This is getting ridiculous! By the time they decide to unveil the thing they'll get half of it leaked!

What, unveil this thing or unveil NX?

You know this isn't NX right? It's a peripheral for NX, maybe. But either way it's just another patent. They have a tonne of crazy patents floating around.

Nanashrew

Banned
Patent 2014. Meant for fitness and exercise, likely a peripheral you don't have to buy, or might be cancelled altogether with Nintendo's statement about holding off on QoL.

I mean, come on guys. How many patent threads we gotta go through with the same reactions of "omg, stop Nintendo!" and actually believing a fake 3D printed controller is real because it looks exactly like a patent you saw. And the 3D printed controller was too close to the original patent about a function, not a design. Something I and many others kept saying over and over.

A patent is an idea. Many of these ideas will not get used but prevents others from taking your ideas if you plan to use them and incorporate some of the ideas in future products.

It's still neat though.

LoveCake

Wouldn't the NX controller have already been designed by now, this must be for something else, that Quality Of Life device perhaps?

Chittagong

Gold Member
So this is what QoL was supposed to be.

Patent application should be rejected though, that rounded back deadlift is terrible:

000079dyupa.png

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The big question is does Nintendo plan on selling a line of QOL software products for NX, each with its own peripheral, in addition to selling "regular" video games? And to what extent?
This sounds an awful lot like a repeat of the Wii business model.

Top Bottom