• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo fails miserably when analyzed by Blizzards new Diversity Tool

Other game series that can benefit form this tool?

• Tomb Raider

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Uncharted

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Crash Bandicoot

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Spyro The Dragon

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • Halo

• Hitman

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Forza Horizon

• Gran Turismo

Votes: 79 40.7%
  • The Witcher

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • Street Fighter

• Mortal Kombat

• Yakuza

Votes: 14 7.2%
  • Other

Votes: 19 9.8%

• Total voters

Davevil

hiding-office.gif

Meanwhile at Nintendo HD

Kimahri

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Unless your sexuality has actual relevance to the story, as in romeo and juliet being straight because, hey they're deeply in love, keep that shit away.

Nobody cares, it has no relevance. I don't need to know. So fuck off with this sexuality obsession.

When you don't know the sexuality of a character, it's up to your interpretation.

Anf if 90+% of characters are straight, so what? So is the real world.

GymWolf

How is that even possible? Their cast has white plumbers, princesses, monkeys, pink alien, turtles etc.

Is it because they don't like interracial sex??

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

American middle-class cultural hegemony doing its thing again.

Most Western-developed games do a hideous job of representing any kind of outlook or value set that isn't typical of the western, middle-class, white-collar demographic that create them. Even in settings far removed from our own, characters are uniformly coded with the same behaviour patterns that the average Californian aspires to. Living in dire, post-apocalyptic wastelands, heroes (regardless of their race or gender) are always more concerned with moral justice than where their next meal is coming from.

They all talk in complete sentences, rarely curse and almost never stoop to innuendo or lewdness. As such, you'll never catch them belching, farting, scratching their arses or picking their noses - despite being downcast, their sense of social propriety is impeccable (in fact, you'll only see these characteristics displayed in villains). They never speak about things like money either and seem completely immune to economic hardship, poverty or deprivation. Even when they're written as tribal outcasts, working-class outlaws, jobbing mercenaries or down-at-heel law enforcement agents, they'll rarely if ever say or do anything that wouldn't be said or done by the kinds of people who create these games. Imagine a post-apocalyptic protagonist, in a mature rated game, turning to a companion and saying, 'I must've eaten something off yesterday - I've been up since a quarter to six shitting my brains out. I swear to God, it smelt something had crawled up my arse and died'.

In the same way, protagonists will never be overtly religious or conservative either: post-apocalyptic settings almost always love a gruff, outdoorsy, working-class American (who in real-life count a huge number of committed Christians among them) and yet you'll never find a Bible in the apocalypse - you'll never catch characters praying or clinging to their crucifixes or asking god for help.

I'm just scratching the surface here, but there are dozens more examples, just inside America and countless more if you look abroad. If I create a tool to test the cultural diversity of most Western developed games along these lines, I think they'd fail miserably. And none of this is to imply the better representation across gender and racial divides is not important, but to pretend that this is only type of diversity worth pursuing is unreasonable and not a bit condescending.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Unless your sexuality has actual relevance to the story, as in romeo and juliet being straight because, hey they're deeply in love, keep that shit away.
I agree with you generally, but if you ise Romeo and Juliet as an example leftists are going to come back at you and point out that Juliet would have been played by a man in Shakespeare’s day.

Kimahri

Banned
I agree with you generally, but if you ise Romeo and Juliet as an example leftists are going to come back at you and point out that Juliet would have been played by a man in Shakespeare’s day.
I disagree with that. What you're talking about is not leftists, but left-wing extremists. Two different things.

In a few years we went from:
Maybe games should have more female/ethnicity representation, etc. In them to....

No white dudes, unless they have blue air and are flamingly gay!... Even then, it would be preferable if this was a bold and powerful black women with curly hair!

Seriously, everybody sees it now... Even in other media types. It has become so bland and boring, because they all use the exact same mold, they make the games less challenging in the name of diversity, they dumb down movies and TV shows for easy translation, etc.

I wish it was only about skin shades and body types.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Isn't Smash Bros considered not diverse enough amongst a certain group of people?

I personally don't care.

Wildebeest

People didn't care about it then because they were called King, not Activision or Blizzard, and they shouldn't care now.

This 'tool' is algorithmically enabling cultural appropriation.

they should be ashamed of themselves, this tool is not a good look, they they should know better.

How is that possible? Nintendo is probably the most diverse, they've got Dragons, Gorillas, Mushrooms, Dinos, Pokemons, and whatever Kerby is.

Blizzards new "diversity" tool doesn't seem diverse enough. What is it just counting humans?

Synless

I like they they literally targeted Nintendo for this to make them comment. No way this doesn’t put pressure on them. I hope they ignore it. What a bunch of fucks these people are, focus on your own shit company.

Top Bottom