• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Employee Tells Fans To Stick With The Current Switch, If They're Not "Digging" The OLED Screen

Interfectum

First thing to come in mind.

Although the whole situation and the tone of the response are different here.
Right, so then the situations are nothing alike. lol

I love making fun of Donny and Nintendo as much as anyone else but I'm not seeing the connection here. The dude is just saying if you don't care about a slightly bigger screen don't stress. That's far different than saying 'fuck people with no internet, use our old shit.'

Last edited:
We keep saying this, but this time those outlets did in fact just throw out baseless rumors without validating their sources’ information.

Sadly, I’m seeing it more and more that even once “respectable” outlets are falling victim to the siren song of clickbait articles for ad revenue.
It was never unreasonable to assume that an updated Switch model four years after the initial unit's release would have at least some upgraded CPU & GPU performance.

Especially considering that's generally the trend when you stick to a new model in the same price bracket (or higher) of the original premium unit versus something intended for a lower entry point, like the Switch Lite.

Nintendo couldn't even meet the most basic expectations there, not even a slight clock boost to the current CPU or GPU. There's no defending this.

Saber

Gold Member
I don't get it.

Was he supposed to lie? Or give one of those shitty PR answers where he desperately tries to make the OLED screen seem like a bigger deal than it is?

I'm pretty sure anyone think he should not lie, he is right afterall. But as I said, from the point of view of Nintendo they probably want people to buy it, regardless of having or not a Switch. Its their new selling hardware, they don't want to give people less reasons for not picking one.

This kind of technological Puritanism
stop trying to make fetch happen regina george GIF

Fbh

I'm pretty sure anyone think he should not lie, he is right afterall. But as I said, from the point of view of Nintendo they probably want people to buy it, regardless of having or not a Switch. Its their new selling hardware, they don't want to give people less reasons for not picking one.

I mean, sure.
But I don't work at Nintendo and I don't think anyone posting here does either.

So I actually appreciate the dude being honest and I don't get why some people here see it as a bad thing-

Saber

Gold Member
I'm not the person you asked, but if I had to guess, I'd say the "mindless sheeps" bit does carry the slight tang of bitterness and salt.

That terms applies to any type of consumer, is not strict to Nintendo fans. I'm pretty sure you heard that slang before, in here is normally applied to Apple users.

But if that hurt his feelings, then I change to consumers. Not like its a big deal, I think the employee is right. Its just sad to see that the only contribution some members can give is being mad at this.

Last edited:
It was a news story in 2013 when Don made a ram's arse of the Xbone launch.

I commend Nintendo for the ability to even out do Apple as Apple would never get away selling a more expensive model years later with the same spec as a 4 year model. That's some big balls and gullible whales.
Lol what? Apple is selling macs with 5 year old tech at the same price. They sometimes offer some upgrades for ram and charge more.

kiphalfton

It doesn't make sense to compare this statement to Don Mattrick's.

This is the same console just with a bonus.
People that don't see the point of an OLED screen should just buy the original Switch, because this is not a replacement for that.

With Xbox it was a next gen console against an old gen console.

You're right it does come with a bonus... you just have to pay a premium for said bonus.

Buggy Loop

Well ok!

I mean, you rarely see a company putting so little incentives for their user to dish out cash again for an hardware upgrade. But here comes Nintendo, the anomaly of the electronic world!

Confused Meme GIF

ZeroGravity

We keep saying this, but this time those outlets did in fact just throw out baseless rumors without validating their sources’ information.

Sadly, I’m seeing it more and more that even once “respectable” outlets are falling victim to the siren song of clickbait articles for ad revenue.
We have no idea if they were baseless or not, especially when some aspects of the reporting did turn out to be true. It's not unreasonable to assume Nintendo WAS working on something akin to a Switch Pro but their plans changed. We don't know what happened and we likely never will, but treating it like these respected publications didn't do their due diligence or just made shit up is asinine. This wasn't some random 4chan rumor people picked up and ran with. These weren't bloggers trying to get clicks. These are major industry trade publications.

Last edited:

EDMIX

What? You can do what you like with your own money? Well.....looks like Nintendo is now EA, boycott!!!!! /s

Shivvy24

So what's the problem with what he said, if you don't want the OLED, stick with the normal one. If anything, Nintendo is giving more options for users.

dano1

A Sheep
As long as there not calling it there next generation I really don’t care.

Still waiting for 4K before they see a FN dime!!

mcjmetroid

Their casual fans don't know what an OLED screen is. Most people don't.

This is why this model is such a bad idea. They're suddenly pushing technology when their fans these days are conditioned to believe graphics and tech don't matter and now it does all of a sudden?

It goes completely against their philosphy and it's going to be a nightmare to market for them.

"New Nintendo Switch with a screen thats OLED, clearer picture etc"
but in reality not even as good as your phone.

Also it's one of things where people aren't going to know what you mean ubtil you see if for your yourself.... and we're still in COVID times.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
It was a news story in 2013 when Don made a ram's arse of the Xbone launch.

I commend Nintendo for the ability to even out do Apple as Apple would never get away selling a more expensive model years later with the same spec as a 4 year model. That's some big balls and gullible whales.
Nintendo has been selling/refreshing the same games (ports) over and over again with great success and profit this generation, selling the same console is just the natural evolution of this businees. They did "hit jackpot" and found a great business model of maximum profit with minimum effort and thats not going to change any time soon

I suspect the chip shortages led to this decision. Easy to get OLED screens, not so easy to fabricate new chips at this point. Probably why we won't see a switch PRO for some time.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

This is why this model is such a bad idea. They're suddenly pushing technology when their fans these days are conditioned to believe graphics and tech don't matter and now it does all of a sudden?

It goes completely against their philosphy and it's going to be a nightmare to market for them.

Also it's one of things where people aren't going to know what you mean ubtil you see if for your yourself.... and we're still in COVID times.
This is the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard. I’m sure the casual market will just be scratching their head at the idea of a switch with a nicer screen. So difficult to understand. A marketing teams nightmare. Nintendo is DOOMED🙄

You people overthink everything, and then you act surprised when your market predictions are terribly wrong. Watch this thing sell just fine.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Eh. it's pretty much in line with what Nintendo does.

Current owners who want the better screen will upgrade and either sell their current Switch or, ideally, pass it down to someone else be it their kid, sibling, etc. Switch hardware continues to spread around a single household (which is one of their goals with this platform).

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

This is the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard. I’m sure the casual market will just be scratching their head at the idea of a switch with a nicer screen. So difficult to understand. A marketing teams nightmare. Nintendo is DOOMED🙄

You people overthink everything, and then you act surprised when your market predictions are terribly wrong. Watch this thing sell just fine.
Ya like Nintendo has never had a product flop before.....

Seriously though for 350 dollars, 100 extra for a "nicer screen" I'm not buying that most casual gamers will get this version over the other Switch and I think nobody but the most hardcore of Nintendo fans will upgrade.

The reception to this upgrade has been a gigantic meh.

Eh. it's pretty much in line with what Nintendo does.

Current owners who want the better screen will upgrade and either sell their current Switch or, ideally, pass it down to someone else be it their kid, sibling, etc. Switch hardware continues to spread around a single household (which is one of their goals with this platform).
I think if your expectation was for this to be an small upgrade to your handheld then that's probably about as good as you're going to get from Nintendo but well a lot of people were expecting more ( was expecting nothing at all and I was still disappointed) and for the price of the unit they SHOULD be getting more in my opinion.

A nicer screen, a wider kickstand, ethernet port - 2 usb ports is not worth an extra 100 dollars.

We shall see how the market responds.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Ya like Nintendo has never had a product flop before.....

Seriously though for 350 dollars, 100 extra for a "nicer screen" I'm not buying that most casual gamers will get this version over the other Switch and I think nobody but the most hardcore of Nintendo fans will upgrade.

The reception to this upgrade has been a gigantic meh.

I think if your expectation was for this to be an small upgrade to your handheld then that's probably about as good as you're going to get from Nintendo but well a lot of people were expecting more ( was expecting nothing at all and I was still disappointed) and for the price of the unit they SHOULD be getting more in my opinion.

A nicer screen, a wider kickstand, ethernet port - 2 usb ports is not worth an extra 100 dollars.

We shall see how the market responds.
Switch is constantly selling out and they've never dropped the price. A $50 bump for some perks is in-line with typical Nintendo and this thing will sell out for sure. Just wait for pre-order day.

When Sony and Microsoft release updated versions of their consoles like the PS4 Slim or Xbox One S with minimal upgrades, they usually cost the same as the previous SKU and have a fire sale to get rid of the outdated consoles. Why is Nintendo not receiving flak for increasing the price of the Switch for what is essentially a mid-gen revision?
I mean they are still keeping the regular switch around so I guess it’s not exactly the same. The Slim consoles replaced the previous console entirely. The OLED switch is just another model sold alongside the regular and Lite.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I mean they are still keeping the regular switch around so I guess it’s not exactly the same. The Slim consoles replaced the previous console entirely. The OLED switch is just another model sold alongside the regular and Lite.
Yeah no

nintendo ds launched as a device next to the gba

everything nintendo says is bullshit

Last edited:
Top Bottom