• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Employee Tells Fans To Stick With The Current Switch, If They're Not "Digging" The OLED Screen

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So glad this beta is gone and we got Chad Spencer
That beta was responsible for the success that was X360:

Following his retirement from Electronic Arts in February 2007, Mattrick was asked by Robbie Bach to serve as an external advisor to the Entertainment and Devices Division. In July 2007, Mattrick then officially joined Microsoft as a Senior Vice President overseeing the Xbox 360 and PC gaming businesses.[9] In the six years since Mattrick has overseen the division, the Xbox 360 installed base has grown from 10 million to more than 76 million worldwide, while the Xbox LIVE membership has increased from 6 million to over 48 million.[10][11]

He also founded the largest independent game developer in North America at the age of 17, then sold it to EA:

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I mean, he's not wrong. There's no real reason to replace your current Switch unless you really want an OLED display & "improved speakers". 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hustler

So we're shaming the Nintendo Employee for speaking the truth and telling existing customers to not waste their money?

What a jerk.

V4skunk

Banned
I think the OLED Switch is a replacement for the OG switch.
I believe OG will all be gone soon and that production of it has stopped.

StormCell

And it will still sell like hotcakes. As long as Nintendo keeps giving you Zelda and Mario.

Maybe it will. It only needs to help boost the overall sales of Switch. It doesn't have to sell better than the base model. Same as the Lite.

I figure Switch will continue to sell very strongly into next year. While I'm ready for a refresh of the hardware, I can't deny that this thing has got some kind of momentum. It may not lose any momentum going into holiday 2022 even... just depends on whether they bring the games. Currently, I think they will.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Not much of an accomplishment. If I had the intellect, looks and charm he has, I'd be able to do it too.
If only I was like Jeff Bezos I could've started Amazon - what sort of argument you are trying to make? If I played tennis as well as Federer I would have been a champion to - not that much of an accomplishment.

But honestly, thats exactly what you should do. I think the "upgrade" is a joke but then im not gonna even bother with OLED. Thats for new buyers. Rest of us are just fine.

jigglet

Banned
What is this?

She was fired for moonlighting as a prostitute. I mean I get it, I'm not an idiot; it's not family friendly. But the rational side of me thinks: as long as it was in a state where it's legal, it's between consenting adults, and she's practicing safely, then how is it different from any other side job?

I guess at the end of the day it's Nintendo's right to fire her if it's in her contract, but it just annoys me that anyone finds it morally objectionable what someone else does with their free time. It's her body, her choice.

Last edited:
still don't understand why the initial switch didnt include a wide kick stand. or at least a symmetrical layout for them.

talk about a serious design flaw. if it was their only option based off the innards layout of the machine then you got bigger problems.

tech has only been using kickstands for 20+ years now and trial and error'd to death already....but maybe a half inch wide asymmetrical stand would work THIS time....

Last edited:

StormCell

You think I'd be sitting on Neogaf if I could do what he has?

Maybe.

But that's really not the point. It just threw me for a loop to see "Not much of an accomplishment" followed by "If I had all his incredible qualities, I'd do it to..." I haven't seen such wisdom except while reading the great philosopher Yogi Berra's thoughts. :LOL:

sendit

So glad this beta is gone and we got Chad Spencer

1200px-Phil_Spencer_Xbox.jpg
Those nipples are staring in to my soul. Can I file sexual assault charges?

hbello82

Neo Member
I think the main purpose of the OLED switch is to simply phase out and replace the OG switch. Is pretty much how they can expand the OG switch life cycle. I still think we will get a beefier version next year.

Keihart

still don't understand why the initial switch didnt include a wide kick stand. or at least a symmetrical layout for them.

talk about a serious design flaw. if it was their only option based off the innards layout of the machine then you got bigger problems.

tech has only been using kickstands for 20+ years now and trial and error'd to death already....but maybe a half inch wide asymmetrical stand would work THIS time....
Even more questionable is the absence of an ethernet port on the dock, dooming the quality of online to mostly wifi connections.

The only Nintendo employee speaking the truth, props.

Because Nintendo are cheap to a fault. But it's okay because it's Nintendo, people will always find an excuse to justify mediocre hardware quality and specifications from Nintendo because muh childhood.

It's so weird; you can love their games but give them a hard time for the hardware being sub-standard you're forced to play them on.

Last edited:

Sakura

What's wrong with what he said and why are people bringing up Don? They are the same system and play the same games.

When Sony and Microsoft release updated versions of their consoles like the PS4 Slim or Xbox One S with minimal upgrades, they usually cost the same as the previous SKU and have a fire sale to get rid of the outdated consoles. Why is Nintendo not receiving flak for increasing the price of the Switch for what is essentially a mid-gen revision?

Zannegan

I think Nintendo is waiting for the 5nm for the upgrade. Apple is probably buying all the wafers for now.
Don't get your hopes up. It'll be a nice jump I'm sure (or, like, mostly sure... you never know with Nintendo) but they never go bleeding edge. They'll go with a more mature process, which has the tiny consumer benefits of them being able to order a large amount and mostly avoid chip shortages. Mostly it's just good for them though.

On topic, this isn't a controversial statement, it's just common sense (as long as the implication isn't "shut up already"). That also means that it can go without saying, and it's probably not smart to even engage. Anyone remember that Xbox employee who said Xbox One owners should live somewhere with better internet? Even as a joke it cost him his job.

Codes 208

the OLED switch is NOT aimed at people who already have a Switch. it's just an updated model for anyone who is still to pick one up.

i'm disappointed there was no Pro model but i'm not gonna fucking bitch and cry about it on the internet. y'all only have yourselves to blame if you believed RUMOURS from attention seekers.

as soon as that OLED model goes up for pre order on Amazon i'm getting it cause y'know why? I DON'T HAVE A SWITCH ALREADY.
It’s what I consider an enthusiast model of the standard switch rather than a midgen refresh. As you said, if you already have a switch this probably doesn’t mean much of an upgrade but if you have a switch lite or neither than this is the better option of the three.

like comparing a gba to a gba sp. the SP has more and better features but overall they have the same function.

Last edited:
The biggest disappointment beyond the extra 50 bucks on the price tag is how this is most likely using the same shitty joycons. Yet this thing will still get gobbled up.

This was literally reported from outlets like Bloomberg and Nikkei. They don't just throw out baseless rumors.
We keep saying this, but this time those outlets did in fact just throw out baseless rumors without validating their sources’ information.

Sadly, I’m seeing it more and more that even once “respectable” outlets are falling victim to the siren song of clickbait articles for ad revenue.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
If people used their heads instead of trusting journalists, they would have seen this coming.

No sense breaking up the install base. Switch wasn't going to get many new third party ports with better hardware. Easier to just buy a console for that.

AMSCD

She was fired for moonlighting as a prostitute. I mean I get it, I'm not an idiot; it's not family friendly. But the rational side of me thinks: as long as it was in a state where it's legal, it's between consenting adults, and she's practicing safely, then how is it different from any other side job?

I guess at the end of the day it's Nintendo's right to fire her if it's in her contract, but it just annoys me that anyone finds it morally objectionable what someone else does with their free time. It's her body, her choice.
Edit: nvm

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think Nintendo is waiting for the 5nm for the upgrade. Apple is probably buying all the wafers for now.
I think we'll get a new Switch in 2023. It fits the schedule.

Nobody who's anybody ever said it was coming this year.

Top Bottom