• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Employee Tells Fans To Stick With The Current Switch, If They're Not "Digging" The OLED Screen

3liteDragon

Does it run any better? "Nope."
Nintendo has announced a new Switch and it has got owners of the older models wondering if it's time for an upgrade. The company is yet to make an official statement about this - and likely won't directly address it, but it has clarified the OLED model does not have a new CPU or a RAM upgrade. Apart from the improved screen, internal memory upgrade, and a few other minor differences, it's much the same as the current dock version model.

While we don't have a statement from Nintendo about whether or not the new system is "worth it" for existing owners, we do now have a comment from the manager of product marketing (and Treehouse rep) at Nintendo of America, JC Rodrigo, via social media. When asked by a fan if the new system ran any better, he responded with a simple "nope" and told them to stick with the current one, unless they were interested in the screen upgrade.

While it might seem obvious it's not much more than a screen upgrade at this point, it's still interesting to hear when it's coming directly from a Nintendo employee. In other words, there's no need to try and justify an upgrade, if you aren't taken by it. With JC's advice in consideration, do you think you'll be getting the new Switch OLED model?

xBlueStonex

_67742271_67742270.jpg

Keihart

People expecting better performance are just setting themselves for disappointment, why even? nobody said so unless you believe every rumor on the internet.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I don’t think this tweet is a news story lol
It was a news story in 2013 when Don made a ram's arse of the Xbone launch.

I commend Nintendo for the ability to even out do Apple as Apple would never get away selling a more expensive model years later with the same spec as a 4 year model. That's some big balls and gullible whales.

Paasei

Already have an Oled tv and I don't really use the handheld mode all too much anymore.

Still hard not to get it, though. Oled truly is beautiful.

It was a news story in 2013 when Don made a ram's arse of the Xbone launch.

I commend Nintendo for the ability to even out do Apple as Apple would never get away selling a more expensive model years later with the same spec as a 4 year model. That's some big balls and gullible whales.

I don't think you understand the technology behind OLED if you can't understand why its a more expensive model.

There is no reason to get upset about this. It's quite clear. This is the price. It's for the OLED screen. It's in fact better than having oled ramp up the cost of the product AND they improve the internal specs, because then I'd be forced to get it even though I only play docked anyway.

I really can't get my head around trying to draw parallels to the Don incident. This is an entirely optional new model which doesn't fuck over it's current users by making them have to upgrade if they want best game performance.

CAB_Life

Didn't even the 3DS get a CPU upgrade between iterations? This kind of technological Puritanism is peak Nintendo when they know they have the market by the balls.

brian0057

Banned
People comparing this to that cunt Don Mattrick fail to understand that the XBOX ONE was an entirely new, more powerful machine compared to the 360.
The OLED Switch is just a Switch with a better screen. It'll play the same games, accept the same peripherals, and use the same controllers.
It's the same machine on the inside.

If you already hava a Switch, the OLED model makes no sense for you to buy. Unless, of course, you think it's worth it.
And if you don't think the upgrades are worth it, then just get the regular Switch.

nush

Gold Member
I would not upgrade for this Switch, but I would buy it as a new owner.

Anyway, shouldn't we be laughing at all the leakers talking about 4K instead?

... What is wrong with this? I'm sure that there is no expectations on Nintendo's part for many existing clients to upgrade (outside the hardcore). He did not insult anyone, not is the company trying to sell a new console generation.

Synless

The problem this new switch is going to have is the same one the Vita had. Beautiful screen when you have native resolution games, not that great when below. Considering a good chunk of switch games are sub-720p in handheld…. not a great upgrade.

Birdo

Banned
Wasn't the rumour that this was going to replace the Regular one after a transition time? (As they did with newer DS and 3DS models)

If that is the case, the two Switch options will be £199 Lite, or £340 OLED :messenger_grinning_smiling:

zcaa0g

Banned
It doesn't make sense to compare this statement to Don Mattrick's.

This is the same console just with a bonus.
People that don't see the point of an OLED screen should just buy the original Switch, because this is not a replacement for that.

With Xbox it was a next gen console against an old gen console.

It does make sense to say this is a lame ass effort by Nintendo.

Saber

Gold Member
I don't think he is wrong. But from the point of view from Nintendo, they want their mindless sheeps to buy it anyway, so I guess they might not like his attitude.

It states in the product name and visual appearance. It's just better screen and the same old crappy sticks on the joycons.

ethomaz

Banned
He didn’t say anything outside the obvious… it is even in Nintendo PR.

I’m not sure what the thread meant.

SJRB

Gold Member
What a non-thread.

- New Switch comes out
- Literally the only difference is the screen
- Nintendo guys says "stick to the old version if you don't care about the screen"
- ????

What's the problem?

the OLED switch is NOT aimed at people who already have a Switch. it's just an updated model for anyone who is still to pick one up.

i'm disappointed there was no Pro model but i'm not gonna fucking bitch and cry about it on the internet. y'all only have yourselves to blame if you believed RUMOURS from attention seekers.

as soon as that OLED model goes up for pre order on Amazon i'm getting it cause y'know why? I DON'T HAVE A SWITCH ALREADY.

Last edited:
Top Bottom