• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Earning Report - February 3, 2022

Switch sold 10.67 millions this past quarter

Switch total sales is at 103.54 millions

6OLavni.jpg

Switch Software Total Sales

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe = 43.35 millions
Animal Crossing New Horizon = 37,62
Super Smash Bros Ultimate = 27,4
Zelda BOTW = 25.8
Pokemon Sword/Shield = 23.9
Super Mario Odyssey = 23.02
Super Mario Party = 17.39
Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu / Eevee = 14.33
Splatoon 2 = 13.5 (estimate, somehow it's missing from official list)
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl = 13.97
Ring Fit Adventure = 13.53
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe = 12.72
Luigi’s Mansion 3 =11.04
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury = 8.85

gpDKtfO.jpg

fSI5sHT.jpg

DG7I7fo.jpg

Updated spreadsheet from Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545

EXchRy1.png

Last edited:

Andyliini

Here's the updated list of million sellers:

– Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 43.35 million
– Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 37.62 million
– Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 27.40 million
– Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 25.80 million
– Pokemon Sword/Shield – 23.90 million
– Super Mario Odyssey – 23.02 million
– Super Mario Party – 17.39 million
– Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu / Eevee – 14.33 million
– Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl – 13.97 million
– Ring Fit Adventure – 13.53 million
– New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 12.72 million
– Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 11.04 million
– Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 8.85 million
– Mario Party Superstars – 5.43 million.
– Zelda: Skyward Sword HD – 3.85 million
– Metroid Dread – 2.74 million
– New Pokemon Snap – 2.36 million
– Mario Golf: Super Rush – 2.26 million
– Miitopia – 1.63 million
– Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain – 1.28 million
– WarioWare: Get It Together! – 1.24 million
– Game Builder Garage – 1.01 million

Few pickups:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is not the best selling singular Mario game ever, surpassing Super Mario Bros. on NES, which sold 41 million.
- Metroid did not quite reach the best selling game in it's franchise, but will soon.
- As already mentioned, Switch has not outsold both Wii and PS1. Next up are PS4 (116 million) and Game Boy + Color (118). Switch will probably pass those during the next fiscal year.

Bragr

Banned
Getting close to 3 million is massive for Dread.

Ring Fit Adventure is the second coming of fitness games. Huge success.

Pokemon Brilliant/Shining, a mediocre remaster, pushing 13 million in 2 months. Arceus is gonna sell similar if not more. Games like Luigi's Mansion 3 selling over a million in 2021 is also a big deal.

Few pickups:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is not the best selling singular Mario game ever, surpassing Super Mario Bros. on NES, which sold 41 million.
- Metroid did not quite reach the best selling game in it's franchise, but will soon.
- As already mentioned, Switch has not outsold both Wii and PS1. Next up are PS4 (116 million) and Game Boy + Color (118). Switch will probably pass those during the next fiscal year.

LM3 sold 11 millions!! ....the game deserves it!

Bragr

Banned
Considering the install base, those numbers are meager.
It's not about the install base, it's about the appeal of the IP. I think that game needed either big reviews or to catch on with streamers to sell big. It was too mediocre, too short and simple.

bender

What time is it?
It's not about the install base, it's about the appeal of the IP. I think that game needed either big reviews or to catch on with streamers to sell big. It was too mediocre, too short and simple.

Mediocre?

200w.gif

It's not the best WarioWare but it certainly isn't the worst and as far as being short and simple, that's the nature of the beast. I'd listen to an argument about it being priced incorrectly but then absolute dreck like Mario Golf broke two million.

Robb

Gold Member
Switch just keeps chugging along. Pretty cool to see it pass both Wii and Ps1, I definitely didn’t expect that to ever happen when it launched.

And the first party software sales continue to be pure insanity.

Few pickups:

Splatoon 2 number is missing here, it should be right behind Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Evee just slightly below 14 millions

the thing about nintendo games is people buy them and buy them, and they are full priced, and old as hell and they meet very little resistance for their anti-consumer practices

Any other publisher gets dragged over the coals for not marking their games on sale and now people are vying for them to be included in a day 1 subscription service. Games which are far more costly to make at that

Yet nintendo is still selling a game from 2014 and 2011 for 60 dollars and people dont make a peep about it. It’s wild

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Mediocre?

200w.gif

It's not the best WarioWare but it certainly isn't the worst and as far as being short and simple, that's the nature of the beast. I'd listen to an argument about it being priced incorrectly but then absolute dreck like Mario Golf broke two million.
Yeah, but the Mario name itself sells 1-2 million just by being called Mario. I am sure 1.9 million of those customers hate the game.

CGiRanger

Banned
Splatoon 2 number is missing here, it should be right behind Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Evee just slightly below 14 millions
The Xenoblades are also missing. IIRC, Xenoblade 2 was over 2 million last I checked, and XBDE was around 1.5 million

Also for the people who think Nintendo should be caring about the Sony and MS acquisitions:

These numbers are definitely not due to Activision/Blizzard/Bungie/Bethesda

Bragr

Banned
the thing about nintendo games is people buy them and buy them, and they are full priced, and old as hell and they meet very little resistance for their anti-consumer practices

Any other publisher gets dragged over the coals for not marking their games on sale and now people are vying for them to be included in a day 1 subscription service. Games which are far more costly to make at that

Yet nintendo is still selling a game from 2014 and 2011 for 60 dollars and people dont make a peep about it. It’s wild
Why would you sell games at a discount if they sell millions a year?

Discounts and sales are the devil's playthings, every developer hates them, but it's a good way to push unit sales and get some steam back into your title. Nintendo has just been smart enough to cultivate a non-discount mentality with their exclusive titles, and it is working wonders for them.

It's sad that it got outsold by the likes of Mario Golf and Miitopia.
You really hate the new mario golf huh? I still have my copy sealed but it’s honestly the first mario golf I ever bought.

It looked fun to me but maybe I just bought it because you could play as bob bomb king lol

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

its got more to do with the general public than it has to do with Nintendo. People are happy to pay that much for Nintendo games but they aren’t for others. if the market didn’t accept it they wouldn’t buy it.

it’s not like nintendo is releasing a new Mario kart every year or so, they make one big version of a game like that and it lasts for almost an entire generation.

Because the games are worth the price…

bender

What time is it?
You really hate the new mario golf huh? I still have my copy sealed but it’s honestly the first mario golf I ever bought.

It looked fun to me but maybe I just bought it because you could play as bob bomb king lol

I'm really particular about golf games. haha

Yeah, but the Mario name itself sells 1-2 million just by being called Mario. I am sure 1.9 million of those customers hate the game.

I'm part of the problem. With Clap Hanz going mobile and Sony giving no fucks about Japan, I have a feeling we will never see Everbody's Golf again. It might be my least favorite Switch purchase of all time.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Thats their business model, and i may get shit for saying this, but its totally fair, Nintendo is succesful in part because they train their userbase to buy games at full price, their biggest titles normally are considered of high quality and deserve the sales, the problem is, specially last generations videogames get devalued WAY too easily if they don't move millions of units. Bayonetta was considered a failure with 1.4 Million sold in 3 months :/ now at least it gets another chance.

obviously for the wallet it would be nice if Nintendo games were priced at half after 3-6 months

Can they afford to buy someone or not?

yes they absolutely can

according to marketwatch, here's Nintendo balance sheet

they have about 15 billions USD cash
and practically zero debt (or about 8 millions short term debt and 45 millions long term debt, which is basically nothing)

tVBulLp.jpg

NjzRJAA.jpg

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I would like to see them promote from within and create new studios and grow them organically. Nintendo, as stupid as they can be at times, are the last bastion of old time gaming.

Mozza

Yet nintendo is still selling a game from 2014 and 2011 for 60 dollars and people dont make a peep aboutt it. It’s wild
Very little context in your post, sure Mario Kart 8 is an older game, but you have to remember it sold 8 million copies on a console that only had 13 million or so units of hardware, so considering the Wii Mario kart sold 37.8 million units it was a case of a game not selling because it was hampered by it's platform, so no wonder Nintendo released an improved version on the Switch, and to most of the 43.5 million Mario Kart Deluxe owners it's a brand new great value game.

Astral Dog

Haven't looked at their cash in hand but

Nintendo doesn't like bidding wars or big developer purchases for risk of leaking talent if they don't want to be bought(thats why Sony is paying an additional billion for Bungie), they are rather conservative with their spending and would rather focus on making games with other developers rather than buy them.

obviously some exceptions exist, i can see them making an offer to MercurySteam some day for example

ParaSeoul

Showtime Recording GIF by CBS

CGiRanger

Banned

Seems like a fairly strong insinuation against any sorts of big mergers or acquisitions by the chief there. This to me sounds like if they were so inclined, they'd prefer to expand their inner "Nintendo DNA" and build off of their key IP and development practices, which has been doing them well so far that's for sure.

At the very least, I'm hopeful it means Nintendo is going to remain Nintendo the Japanese Company, for a long time to come, and not be too influenced by Western interests.

I dunno, I kinda disagree but he's the CEO

The game has changed. MS, Netflix, Facebook are racing to build the Netflix of video games, the metaverse platform/service, a completely different model than what Nintendo is used to. These giants are hungry for contents, they are hunting down existing 3rd party developers/publishers.

Nintendo needs to protect their ecosystem. Their ecosystem is old-school gaming industry model, physical software/console system. They alone cannot support this old-school ecosystem, even they need other publishers. If those developers/publishers get bought out by the tech giants, it will destroy the gaming ecosystem as we know it.

If they buy Capcom, at least they double the amount of their IPs, that might just be enough to sustain them

Last edited:
Nintendo needs to protect their ecosystem. Their ecosystem is old-school gaming industry model, physical software/console system. They alone cannot support this old-school ecosystem, even they need other publishers. If those developers/publishers get bought out by the tech giants, it will destroy the gaming ecosystem as we know it.
Nah, they will introduce some another console and mario and it will sell 50m+ out of the door :messenger_grinning: It is Nintendo.

Nah, they will introduce some another console and mario and it will sell 50m+ out of the door :messenger_grinning: It is Nintendo.

Let's not forget the rough times during Gamecube and Wii U, their record is very inconsistent, they haven't been able to put back to back successful console, right now they're on top, next thing they could find themselves struggling

Last edited:

Ogbert

They don’t go on sale because people buy them at full price.

I mean, there’s not much more to it than that.

Top Bottom