• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Discontinuing E-Shop for WiiU and 3DS - Can't Add Funds From 8/29 and Purchases No Longer Available From 3/27/2023

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

As of March 27, 2023, it will no longer be possible to make purchases in Nintendo eShop for the Wii U system and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. It will also no longer be possible to download free content, including game demos. Furthermore, as this date draws closer, related services will cease to function:

• As of May 23, 2022, it is no longer possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
  • As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. However, it will still be possible to redeem download codes until March 27, 2023.

Users who link their Nintendo Network ID wallet (used with Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems) with their Nintendo Account wallet (used with the Nintendo Switch family of systems) can use the shared balance to purchase content on any of these systems until March 27, 2023. After that, the balance can only be used to purchase content for the Nintendo Switch family of systems.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

It really surprises me that Nintendo wouldn't at least drop all their first party stuff on the system to $20 or less to clean up some last minute purchases. There's at least 3 or 4 games I would have bought on a discount but now they're just being abandoned.

PJX

I think that's this one, no ?

- As of 3/27/2023, purchases will no longer be available.
Read his comment slowly. Btw not insulting your intelligence. I almost fell for it, had to read it twice to get the joke.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I'm glad all their systems are hackable. I buy most games in physical form and those that I can't, I just backup after the consoles life cycle is over. I have an OG Switch waiting in the wings to hack so that when it's life cycle is ovee Nintendo can't take the games I bought away from me.

DaGwaphics

I'm surprised about the 3DS/2DS, that hasn't even been off the market that long.

That's a wicked turnaround, only 3yrs from the last models sold.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I'm glad all their systems are hackable. I buy most games in physical form and those that I can't, I just backup after the consoles life cycle is over. I have an OG Switch waiting in the wings to hack so that when it's life cycle is ovee Nintendo can't take the games I bought away from me.

This. If they are going to abandon their products or not even offer it on their store, what is one plausible conclusion somebody may come to, in regards to being able to play said games.

Reminds me of the PS1 Classics I bought on PS3. Can't play them, but I own them. Not like Sony doesn't have a storefront either on PS4 or PS5 (i.e. the consoles that came out after the PS3).

But most these companies would rather sell you the same product twice, instead of continue support. To do otherwise that would require backwards compatibility with previous gneration, which everybody pretends isn't important (but they're stupid enough to buy the same game multiple times).

Last edited:

kunonabi

I've pretty much bought everything I need for the Wii U so I just have to try and get all the 3DS stuff I still need.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I’m still a little puzzled on the “can’t add funds” part since doesn’t the wallet just share with your Switch eShop funds?

ah yeah they seem to mention that, you can still add funds that way until the purchase deadline in March 2023

Nintendo said:
Users who link their Nintendo Network ID wallet (used with Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems) with their Nintendo Account wallet (used with the Nintendo Switch family of systems) can use the shared balance to purchase content on any of these systems until March 27, 2023. After that, the balance can only be used to purchase content for the Nintendo Switch family of systems.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I need to load up some money via eshop cards so I can download that Silver Falls indie survival horror game when it releases. Should be sometime soon.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
WHAT the actual fuck??!

This is an outrage, i hate nintendo so much
07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpeg

It's the same company that if you toss away your 3ds away then your library is gone because they are locked to the console and not account.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ

fart town usa

Gold Member
This. If they are going to abandon their products or not even offer it on their store, what is one plausible conclusion somebody may come to, in regards to being able to play said games.

Reminds me of the PS1 Classics I bought on PS3. Can't play them, but I own them. Not like Sony doesn't have a storefront either on PS4 or PS5 (i.e. the consoles that came out after the PS3).

But most these companies would rather sell you the same product twice, instead of continue support. To do otherwise that would require backwards compatibility with previous gneration, which everybody pretends isn't important (but they're stupid enough to buy the same game multiple times).

I know for some of the PS classics on PS4/PS5, you can download them for free if you bought them on PS3/PSP.

It works for Wild Arms in NA. Resident Evil DC doesn't work for NA but I think that's because it's the OG DC version. NA had the dual shock version on PS3/PSP. I read that PAL regions are able to download the game for free but I can't confirm that. PAL had the OG DC on PS3/PSP.

I haven't tried other games but hopefully they will be free to download for people who previously bought them.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
This is pretty much why I never go digital on Nintendo systems. Too uncertain. Kinda surprised they’re killing the 3DS already though.

Last edited:

Goalus

Read his comment slowly. Btw not insulting your intelligence. I almost fell for it, had to read it twice to get the joke.
Point taken, the post is probably broken English. I was only half-joking though, because for the Wii the exact thing I was talking about has already happened.

Reactions: PJX

kiphalfton

What do you mean? They're not available on PS3?

No PS3. No PSP. So unable to play them.

When PS4 came out I was expecting to be able to play them. Nope. Same for PS5, though that may be a different story depending on how Sony handles PS1 Classics. Since it seems like they may be added to my library IF/when they're released for PS Premium.

The_hunter

Looks like you can't add funds anymore, I need an e-shop card.

Let me ask, what are the best exclusives on the console?

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
You won't be able to download after next March either.
That's shit, then again, that's the reason I never bought digital on Nintendo until the switch
Pc Modding GIF by NVIDIA GeForce

day talk GIF

I typically say it’s bad to pirate, but if you stop me from accessing my purchases, there’s no rules worth withholding anymore.
Afaik it doesn't count as piracy if you have no legal available way to get the products since the company isn't being harmed anyway

teezzy

Banned
Couldn't imagine owning either in 2022 and not having them CFW'd and already loaded to the brim with completely 100% legally acquired software

Sakura

You won't be able to download after next March either.
No, March is when you will no longer be able to make new purchases. You will still be able to download anything you have already purchased. It even says in the page in the OP:

Even after March 27, 2023, and for the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to redownload games and DLC, receive software updates and enjoy online play on Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No, March is when you will no longer be able to make new purchases. You will still be able to download anything you have already purchased. It even says in the page in the OP:

Ah yes, I overlooked that. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

TexMex

To be clear, since people keep saying it and it isn’t true at all - you can still download your games after March 23. No NEW purchases after March 23. If you’ve bought the game previously, you can download it. It means no new monetary transactions. Read the tweet guys it takes two seconds:

Sakura

To be clear, since people keep saying it and it isn’t true at all - you can still download your games after March 23. No NEW purchases after March 23. If you’ve bought the game previously, you can download it. It means no new monetary transactions. Read the tweet guys it takes two seconds:

In defence of our friends who are unable to read more than a single tweet, I can see how "As of 3/27/2023, purchases will no longer be available." could be misleading. Should've worded it better.

Top Bottom