• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct reportedly had the most viewers of E3 2021

93xfan

Banned
It wasn't that bad. Cmon now I'm as jaded of a Nintendo fan as you can get but this was their best in at least 2 years.

It could have been worse, but it should’ve been so much better. After a quality Mario celebration, the Zelda anniversary so far leaves a lot to be desired.

This should’ve been an easy win. I would guess there will be more announced later this year, but with Nintendo who knows.

CGiRanger

Banned
I'm fairly certain that without COVID, it is possible and even likely that BotW2 would have been released at the end of this year. I imagine that it was very hard especially in Japan to get anywhere near the cadence of productivity if not at their offices. So that would have probably been the game to celebrate the Zelda anniversary on.

Reallink

None of the E3s this year were anything crazy hype and exciting but compare to others and based my taste in games, Nintendo by far was the most exciting one.
Is your taste paying $60 for mini games like Mario Party, Warioware, or Mario Golf, the canceled 3DS Metroid they dug out of the Covid vault, or the Zelda expansion pack that's still at least a year and a half away? That's a lot of exciting stuff.

Last edited:

fermcr

Meh.

Not my type of console or games (with the exception of one or two games)... but congrats to Nintendo. They can release a turd and still sell a gazillion.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is your taste paying $60 for mini games like Mario Party, Warioware, or Mario Golf, the canceled 3DS Metroid they dug out of the Covid vault, or the Zelda expansion pack that's still at least a year and a half away? That's a lot of exciting stuff.
I find games like SMTV, BotW2 and Mario + Rabbits 2 very exciting and definitely looking forward to Advance Wars, I missed my chance last time.

Not my problem if you are not in to those games.

For me Shin Megami Tensei is bigger deal than Final Fantasy, that game alone wins E3 for me.

MisterHero

That's crazy. Nintendo didn't even try and still beat one the best shows of MS in its history.
Even rumors of new Nintendo hardware will carry them far. Obviously this translates to their own seperate prrsentations being having mainstream reach (the Switch reveal).

Can't wait for Switch Pro.

anthony2690

Banned
I was really hoping for more from Nintendo, switch Pro, splatoon 3, maybe acnh big content update (think like new leaf had, my other half loves ACNH/NEW LEAF) finally a new proper mainline Mario kart, metroid prime 4, baten kaitos collection (what was rumoured)

I am not sure I get the hype or excitement for dread either, it looks no better than strider what was an excellent game for £16, but no way would I drop £50 for dread. (I'm sure the gameplay is great though)

But botw2, monkey ball are pretty cool :)
& the reveal of the CAVE STGs (Japanese direct) getting worldwide releases is excellent news (they honestly should've been in the English streams too imo)

93xfan

Banned
What kind of shitpost is this?

Is that a yes?

Edit: in all honesty, glad for the fans of this game, but I’ve never heard of it before and know I won’t be trying it at $60.

How about:

F-Zero
WaveRace
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Better Zelda remakes
Virtual console
A 2D Metroid with good art direction (maybe 2D art)
A new 2D Mario (not in the “new” series
Mario Kart 9 or at least DLC for 8
A Zelda celebration worth mentioning.

These are things long time fans have asked for. As a longtime fan since the NES days, I was disappointed.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Expected from Nintendo E3:
- New Switch hardware
- any Metroid Prime 4 trailer or gameplay
- BOTW2 gameplay

We got:
- No new Switch hardware
- Metroid Dread
- Sneak peak BOTW2 trailer (and it's like mix of two different games)

Bot I don't think that it's BAD, games are just not ready. I'm okay with this.

Danjin44

93xfan 93xfan this has been said before, none of the other E3s weren't exactly exciting either but for me and for most others Nintendo was showed most games we can get excited about by comparison.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

There were like 2 cgi trailers. 'In Engine', and 'Alpha game footage' etc isnt cgi.
Anyway please dont start console warring in here. Nintendo are the kings at the moment, why wouldnt they be on 'top'?
oh come on dude. yes it is.

Filming your "in-game assets" is a way that doesn't reflect actual game play at all is a cgi trailer.

• Fire
Reactions: e&e

93xfan

Banned
What else would I be talking about??

The “20 years” comment threw me off. Then again I’m not familiar with the mobile releases.

I love the idea of a new 2D Metroid, but wasn’t happy with the setting and art style.

I really got spoiled by Hollow Knight and Ori. Loved Super Metroid (in my top 3 of the genre), but I’m unsure about this one…

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I imagine it's because gamers were starved for games and Nintendo usually gives you those.

E3 this year was about as good as a bad TGS showcase.

Not a compliment.

Nintendo was one of the few reasons it wasn't a total flopping fish.

----------------------

Most people are going to miss the significance of a new mainline Metroid entry that continues the story from Fusion which was 20 years ago. That's right the last mainline Metroid game was 20 years ago.

To Metroid fans like me it's going to be a big deal.

Those that don't care or are sad the artstyle isn't what they hoped or the visuals aren't equal to a high end PC or just want to stir the pot and pick their nose are lower then dirt as far as I am concerned when it comes to Metroid.

And I think it's rather hilarious you expected a hardware reveal in a software presentation. Which if hardware was revealed you'd be complaining about the price or whether the marketing was poor or not. So whatever.

Samus is coming back and that's all that matters. SMT5 a month later is also a rather nice bonus.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
They have a decent E3, IMO better than Microsoft because they show a bunch of gameplay instead of CGI trailers.

But if I would guess, the Switch PRO rumor really helps this out.
I don't see it. Microsoft did show gameplay. Psychonauts 2, The Ascent, Somerville, Replaced, Forza, Stalker 2, Halo all showed brand new gameplay, then you had stuff like Hades and more. How do you mean Microsoft only showed cgi trailers?

I mean, not everything Nintendo showed gameplay of was of brand new stuff either, so it seems fair to take that into account.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

List is bullshit only on Twitch 2,3 million viewers where already on xbox. So unless youtube wasn't doing anything that number isn't possible.

Fake

I don't see it. Microsoft did show gameplay. Psychonauts 2, The Ascent, Somerville, Replaced, Forza, Stalker 2, Halo all showed brand new gameplay, then you had stuff like Hades and more. How do you mean Microsoft only showed cgi trailers?

I mean, not everything Nintendo showed gameplay of was of brand new stuff either, so it seems fair to take that into account.

I said bunch, not only.

And Forza Horizon 5 was great, but who would guess a Forza/Halo/Gears on every E3?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I said bunch, not only.

And Forza Horizon 5 was great, but who would guess a Forza/Halo/Gears on every E3?
Your post implied Nintendo showed gameplay and Microsoft didn't but Microsoft showed a lot of gameplay. So I still don't get it.

Yeah, Forza looked great I agree.

Who would guess Mario and Zelda at E3? But those looked great too.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Never implied that. You make things up.
You did. You didn't say Microsoft only showed gameplay but the implication was that Microsoft lacked gameplay compared to Nintendo.

Which is why I listed a ton of gameplay that was shown at the Microsoft conference.

No need to make it up, I quoted it above.

Last edited:

Fake

You did. You didn't say Microsoft only showed gameplay but the implication was that Microsoft lacked gameplay compared to Nintendo.

No need to make it up, I quoted it above.

Let me help you.

They have a decent E3, IMO better than Microsoft because they show a bunch of gameplay instead of CGI trailers.

Now, I'll make more easy to read.

They have a decent E3, IMO better than Microsoft because they show a bunch of gameplay instead of a bunch of CGI trailers.

Fake

Sorry. Your post implies Nintendo showed gameplay and Microsoft didn't. Maybe that's not what you meant but you'll have to take that up with your sentence structure.

Dude, just stop already. I never said that. Are you want me to draw for you?

Skelterz

They operate at their own pace. Why? Because they can. They had big Horizon blowout just prior to E3 and chances are there’ll be another SoP soon (at least rumors are swirling). They have outgrown E3, so to say.
I disagree there model these days is based on the Nintendo direct model Nintendo pioneered that style of information delivery way before any of the other console makers and they still hit E3 hard this year, it’s more a case of Sony got no games bro Sony got nothing to show, that’s coming from a guy that has a ps5 and since I bought have only played demon souls on it cause there’s nothing else.

e&e

Banned
I wouldn't be too surprised to see that the rumoured Switch Pro brought in people who wouldn't have bothered usually.
They did have a couple of projects that I was interested in though although I didn;t watch the live thing, I watched trailers later on.
Brought in people who were interested in the Switch you say?

Fredrik

Such a waste of time watching it.
But that's nearly every direct if you care about the big Nintendo games.
Yeah this would only be good PR if the show was great, feels like bad news to know so many people witnessed how bad Nintendo can be.

Metroid Prime looked awesome though, but the rest just got me annoyed, everything looked like they just rushed something out to not let the market dry out completely.

I don’t understand what they’re doing. Are they doing a new generation transition? All their big dev teams are making games for a new generation console?

sublimit

Banned
For me it was all about SMTV, I have been waiting for gameplay trailer fir very loooong time, I was ready sue Nintendo ‘s ass over it.
And they also showed gameplay from BOTW 2 as well as a new Metroid 2D. Unlike the other conferences their direct may have been relatively short but it was to the point.

Danjin44

And they also showed gameplay from BOTW 2 as well as a new Metroid 2D. Unlike the other conferences their direct may have been relatively short but it was to the point.
Yup, BotW 2 gameplay was icing on the cake.

Top Bottom