• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo declines to comment on latest ‘Switch Pro’ report

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nikkei (paywall) reported on Tuesday that Nintendo has asked its manufacturing partners to increase Switch production to 30 million units for this fiscal year, ending March 31, 2022.

The figures would represent Switch’s highest production level to date and an unprecedented increase in a games console’s fifth year since launch.

During the first nine months of its previous fiscal year, which ended in March, Switch shipped 24 million units, according to Nintendo, which represented an increase of more than a third year-on-year.

Nikkei notes that the figures are dependent on developments in the current global semiconductor shortage, which has affected all consumers electronic industries during the pandemic.

“The company has approached a number of parts makers about increasing production,” Nikkei’s report reads.

“Several officials admitted to us that they are considering expanding production. The company is also expected to add a higher-end model with higher image quality, and this will be the first additional model of the Switch since the Nintendo Switch Lite, which was released in September 2019 and made it more portable.”

A spokesperson for Nintendo responded: “There is nothing we can tell you about production numbers and higher-end models.”

With nearly 80 million consoles shipped as of December 31, 2020, Switch looks certain to become Nintendo’s best-selling home console ever.

Nintendo‘s upcoming Switch hardware update – dubbed ‘Switch Pro’ by analysts – will reportedly feature Nvidia’s DLSS technology and an improved screen.

jigglet

Banned
Remember when Nintendo flat out said there wasn’t a new DS and literally weeks (or was it days?) later one was announced?

So if they’re declining to comment this pretty much guarantees at least 4-7 new models to be announced on Wednesday.

You peeps need to learn the difference between "denied the existence of x console" and "declined to comment". In any case I have no doubt a new Switch is coming. It makes sense for Nintendo not to say anything before they announce it. Either way this is non-news.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
We all know it's coming. They just cranked up Switch production probably to get rid of all the components they won't need down the line.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Since I'm an idiot, would a Switch Pro do anything for games overall, like being able to run RE8 for instance, or is it just a resolution upgrade?

Everything I've seen points to resolution being upgraded, I fail to see the excitement over it when most people treat the Switch as a handheld?

Again, I'm an idiot.

of course they will decline the rumors. Do you think they will confirm this and by consequence have tons of potential Switch owners waiting?

Woopah

Since I'm an idiot, would a Switch Pro do anything for games overall, like being able to run RE8 for instance, or is it just a resolution upgrade?

Everything I've seen points to resolution being upgraded, I fail to see the excitement over it when most people treat the Switch as a handheld?

Again, I'm an idiot.
More power means better resolutions (up to 4K with DLSS) and better framerates. Plus the potential to run some third party games that can't run on the base Switch.

fart town usa

Gold Member
More power means better resolutions (up to 4K with DLSS) and better framerates. Plus the potential to run some third party games that can't run on the base Switch.
Thanks. That's mostly what I'm curious about when they do reveal whatever the new model is.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Asked about the reports during a shareholder Q&A this month, which it has published in Japanese, Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa declined to comment.

“The Company will continue to focus on creating unique games, and in order to achieve this, we will continue to propose games using a dedicated game console with integrated hardware and software,” he said.

“We are constantly developing hardware, software, and dedicated peripherals, but we will refrain from commenting on specific products under development.”

Top Bottom